Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#1]
-Resting barrel on wood
-Flinching when pulling the trigger
-Trigger punching with no follow through
-Probably need glasses

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Other than something being loose I am baffled.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
-Resting barrel on wood
-Probably need glasses

View Quote

But he shot well at 25 yards.

I'm stumped.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm stumped.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Resting barrel on wood
-Probably need glasses

I'm stumped.

No, he didn't.  

1"+ groups at 25 yards is much worse than that rifle is capable of.  He should be seeing those size groups at 100 yards, not 25 yards.

OP either needs a weekend of Appleseed training, or something is seriously fubared on that rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, he didn't.  

1"+ groups at 25 yards is much worse than that rifle is capable of.  He should be seeing those size groups at 100 yards, not 25 yards.

OP either needs a weekend of Appleseed training, or something is seriously fubared on that rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Resting barrel on wood

-Probably need glasses

I'm stumped.

No, he didn't.  

i'm pretty sure that the ammo the OP is using is not capable of 1 MOA

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, he didn't.  

View Quote

I meant relatively speaking.

The group really GOT BIG at 50 yards compared to 25 yards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You were resting the barrel on that nub? That could be part of your issue. Why are you resting the barrel on something (putting downward pressure on a warm barrel) when you have a freefloat handguard? That can easily account for the larger/unpredictable group. Also could be the mount as mentioned earlier - though I would have assumed you checked that.
View Quote

rifles with non FF hand guards can shoot tighter groups than that at 50 yds.  And when you hold/stabilize the rifle with normal carbine handguards, it puts pressure on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Something is wrong.

Your groups at 25 yards should be one single hole, regardless of what kind of ammo you're using. No AR is such a delicate flower that it can't outshoot a 1911 at that distance.

Take the damn thing apart and torque the barrel to spec, with a torque wrench (you're beyond eyeballing it at this point) then take off the optic and re-install after tightening the shit out of the QD mount.

Then go to range with a bean bag or other proper support, rest the HANDGUARD on the bean bag (not the barrel, it's free float for fuck's sake), grip the rifle handguard gently and put some downward pressure on the handguard to minimize wobble, watch a your tube video about how to breathe when shooting, maybe get some fucking glasses...

If it still doesn't work, throw it in the trash and FO.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Put some real glass on it like a 25x to see if its you or the eotech.  If you can stack them with good glass, then you can't aim with a huge EO tech dot, however that is actually good shooting at 100 with no magnification.  I would be happy with that.
View Quote

Uhh, isnt the eotech dot only 1 moa?  Not what i would call huge.........
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put some real glass on it like a 25x to see if its you or the eotech.  If you can stack them with good glass, then you can't aim with a huge EO tech dot, however that is actually good shooting at 100 with no magnification.  I would be happy with that.

It is, but if your eyesight sucks it can blur and get bigger.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 16" AR with a PSA FN SAW type barrel. With iron sights and XM193 ammo the wife and I break clay's down quite easily at 50 yards sitting at a table with a grip-pod bipod.

I would find a better shooting position, rest, or bags and work on trigger control. Try a couple types of ammo as well.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you Michael J. Fox?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the liklihood of an improperly torqued barrel from a complete upper purchased from a reputable vendor like PSA?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That makes sense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense

The Eotech is nice and crisp and at 25yds I can see the targets. at 50yds it gets a bit hard to see the target, but I can make out where the little targets are well enough to know where to shoot. Heading to the range tonight to try a few different things and will report back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Something is wrong.

Your groups at 25 yards should be one single hole, regardless of what kind of ammo you're using. No AR is such a delicate flower that it can't outshoot a 1911 at that distance.

Take the damn thing apart and torque the barrel to spec, with a torque wrench (you're beyond eyeballing it at this point) then take off the optic and re-install after tightening the shit out of the QD mount.

Then go to range with a bean bag or other proper support, rest the HANDGUARD on the bean bag (not the barrel, it's free float for fuck's sake), grip the rifle handguard gently and put some downward pressure on the handguard to minimize wobble, watch a your tube video about how to breathe when shooting, maybe get some fucking glasses...

View Quote

So your 1911 can shoot groups his size at 25 yards?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Too many variables involved to give you a concise answer.

You just have to start eliminating possibles one by one.

gd
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Something has to be very loose OP. Or you're just a really bad shot. Sorry. I can probably group like your 25 yard group (definitely you 50yd grp) at 100 yards standing with no rest at all and I don't even consider myself very good. Hope you get it all sorted out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Eotech is nice and crisp and at 25yds I can see the targets. at 50yds it gets a bit hard to see the target, but I can make out where the little targets are well enough to know where to shoot. Heading to the range tonight to try a few different things and will report back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense

OP, try changing your target.  How well your see the target in relation to the reticle can influence how well you can actually group your rounds.  A 8 inch paper plate may provide better focus.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#21]
That might not be the best target to shoot at with a red dot.  I'm not sure how much of a problem contrast might be for you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

1-7 twist does not work well with 55gr anything

1-7 needs a heavier bullet, try 69 gr Sierras
View Quote
My 1:7 Colt 6720R disagrees with you on not stabilizing 55 grain M193, as does my 1:7 20" BCM A4 Upper.

They shoot anything from 55-77 grain OTM's and 70 grain Barnes TSX just fine.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Would this be a good target to use?

http://home.comcast.net/~j_colt123/Red%20Dot%2025yd.pdf

Will also try some paper plates with black dot in center.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Use a target with black aiming point.

Use a better rest. A rolled up sleeping bag works if you don't want to get a sandbag or bag of lead shot.

Should be able to get those groups even with that ammo to 2.5" or less at 50-yards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No it can't.

And his AR can't shoot "one single hole" groups at 25 yards either.

It sure is easy to talk tough on the Internet.

It's a lot harder to actually shoot groups.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1518887___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something is wrong.

No it can't.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1518887___ARFCOM_1_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG__Challenge_.html

Are you kidding me?

There's no way in hell that a site full of AR "enthusiasts" can't get a single ragged hole with an AR at 25 yards assuming it's either at an indoor range or with no wind. Same goes for a target grade 1911 on a bench rest.

Or are you all just that shitty shots?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's fine for a 25 yard target, but it's rather small at 50 yards. The trick on something that size at 50 yards is not to aim at the dots in the center, but at the center of the paper.  A square 8" or 12" sheet of paper against a dark background provides a good contrast to center your A65 reticle.  Trying to put that 1 MOA dot on a reddish diamond at 50 yards may cause you to lose focus on both the dot and the target.

Another thing is your rest.  You'll be more stable with a proper kneeling or seating position.  Prone is the most stable.  The important thing with kneeling/sitting/prone is to do it correctly.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Are you kidding me?

There's no way in hell that a site full of AR "enthusiasts" can't get a single ragged hole with an AR at 25 yards assuming it's either at an indoor range or with no wind. Same goes for a target grade 1911 on a bench rest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something is wrong.

No it can't.

Are you kidding me?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you kidding me?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something is wrong.

No it can't.

Are you kidding me?

First you said "one single hole."

Now it's "one ragged hole."

Which is it?  How big is your one ragged hole?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a black circle red dot target on the FAQ that's calibrated for dot sights at 50-yards. I think Molon created it. That's what I used sighting in three uppers at 50-yards last week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#30]
See this type of groups often on public range days.  Have someone check it out(shoot it)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a black circle red dot target on the FAQ that's calibrated for dot sights at 50-yards. I think Molon created it. That's what I used sighting in three uppers at 50-yards last week.
View Quote

18 pages, would you happen to have a link to it? Thx.

nvm found it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/468461_.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Should I just go straight out to 50 yards, or try 25 yards first again?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#33]
On the iPhone so I don't know but I'll try

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/468461_.html

Two shooters with aim points using that target and we got groups as small as 1.2" to as large as 2.25" with that target at 50 depending on ammo, upper and shooter combo. Our best results were with PMC XTAC Xp193
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If something was loose, wouldn't my 25 yard groups look like my 50 yard groups though?
View Quote

No offense your 25yd groups aren't good. They should be one ragged hole or very near it from a rest.
50yds unmagnified, maintaining POA will start becoming more of a challenge, especially if your reticle blooms or you have any visual impairment. Add any other shooter errors to that and you will see groups grow out of proportion to distance.
Not saying something couldn't be loose, but barring that it is almost certainly you, equipment/ammo (excluding stability issues) tend to equal linear group growth.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
-Resting barrel on wood
-Probably need glasses

View Quote

This + OP is 50lbs overweight?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Should I just go straight out to 50 yards, or try 25 yards first again?
View Quote

I start out 1" low at 25 then move to 50.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Resting barrel on wood
-Probably need glasses

I'm stumped.

No, he didn't.  

I might have to take that challenge.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You were resting the barrel on that nub? That could be part of your issue. Why are you resting the barrel on something (putting downward pressure on a warm barrel) when you have a freefloat handguard? That can easily account for the larger/unpredictable group. Also could be the mount as mentioned earlier - though I would have assumed you checked that.
View Quote

Not at that range....
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are you kidding me?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something is wrong.

No it can't.

Are you kidding me?

Here ya go 14er. Let's see how you do. Post your results or stop talking.

1 MOA All Day Challenge (Rifles)

25 MOA All Day Challenge (Handguns)

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something is wrong.

No it can't.

Are you kidding me?

Callout thread. This might require video evidence as I can see a certain 14er leaving powder burns on the target.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an Eotech. My POA wanders on a target. I have no trouble shooting objects at 50 yards though.  I am talking offhand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#44]
OP...also consider you're likely getting parallax at 25-50m, so if you don't have good fundamentals and a consistent cheek weld you could be seeing that pop up....
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Remember that a dot, even a 1MOA dot covers a decent amount of the target at range, so getting a precise POA is more difficult than with a scope with a fine cross-hair.  That said, 1MOA is ~.25" at 25 yds, ~.5" at 50yds, etc.  IF you assume the ammo you had was at the full range of the approximately 2MOA requirement for M193 ammo, you can figure out what the maximum deviation should be due to ammo alone.

I think what everyone else has said is pretty much right on, especially with the marksmanship techniques and use of the wood as a "barrel rest."   Don't get too discouraged though...once you figure out how to shoot it, you'll be surprised just how well you can shoot with a non magnified red dot.  You should be able to easily shoot < 4MOA with it at 200yds if you do your part.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's fine for a 25 yard target, but it's rather small at 50 yards. The trick on something that size at 50 yards is not to aim at the dots in the center, but at the center of the paper.  A square 8" or 12" sheet of paper against a dark background provides a good contrast to center your A65 reticle.  Trying to put that 1 MOA dot on a reddish diamond at 50 yards may cause you to lose focus on both the dot and the target.
Another thing is your rest.  You'll be more stable with a proper kneeling or seating position.  Prone is the most stable.  The important thing with kneeling/sitting/prone is to do it correctly.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repeated in case folks missed that Jedi-trick.

When the target dot is too small to see, use references and align things up exactly the same way each shot.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Wrong twist for grain weight or something interfering with barrel harmonics.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

So are you saying you want to donate one of those super LaRue rifles for me to have
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Have 500 rounds of this at my disposal for today.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#50]
My eyesight sucks so my EOTech is a big fuzzy dot. That all clears up with a EOTech 3X magnifier and then the dot is crisp and clear. Try dimming the EOTech till you can barely see it and see if that helps with your aim. My Yankee Hill 1/9 16 inch at 100 yards here with cheap ass ammo.  Did I mention my eyesight sucks? And I'm a novice shooter.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top