BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no sympathy for them. The same neighborhood where his rally was held is the same one where every one is crying because stops are down 93% and crime is up. The people there, as usual, can never make up their minds. Cops stop people they complain, cops cease stopping people and they complain. Every thing is always someone else's fault.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make the pretext any less bullshit.

I have no sympathy for them. The same neighborhood where his rally was held is the same one where every one is crying because stops are down 93% and crime is up. The people there, as usual, can never make up their minds. Cops stop people they complain, cops cease stopping people and they complain. Every thing is always someone else's fault.

Our statements aren't incompatible.

The pretext is bullshit, the community is filled with shitbirds, no conflict.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Mayor tells NYers "Don't resist arrest"

Mayor Bill de Blasio gave his unflinching support Wednesday to a call from the city’s top cop that New Yorkers being placed under arrest should submit to police rather than fight back.

“When a police officer comes to the decision that it’s time to arrest someone, that individual is obligated to submit to arrest,” the mayor said.
“They will then have every opportunity for due process in our court system.”

De Blasio said Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was “absolutely right” for urging an end to a recent spate of incidents in which cops were forced to subdue alleged law-breakers physically.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Mayor says city is "blessed to have Bratton as PC"

Mayor de Blasio staunchly defended his police commissioner Wednesday and called the idea he would dump him over tensions with Al Sharpton “idiotic.”
“We are blessed to have Bill Bratton as our commissioner,” the mayor said. “He and I are absolutely united in our approach to fighting crime and bringing police and community together. We share a vision.”

The testy mayor trashed a report in DNAinfo that claimed he would ditch his top cop if necessary to keep Sharpton on his side. “This is ludicrous. It’s inappropriate. It’s idiotic,” he said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mayor Bill de Blasio gave his unflinching support Wednesday to a call from the city’s top cop that New Yorkers being placed under arrest should submit to police rather than fight back.

"When a police officer comes to the decision that it’s time to arrest someone, that individual is obligated to submit to arrest,” the mayor said.

"They will then have every opportunity for due process in our court system.”

De Blasio said Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was "absolutely right” for urging an end to a recent spate of incidents in which cops were forced to subdue alleged law-breakers physically.

Well bless his heart.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well bless his heart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"When a police officer comes to the decision that it’s time to arrest someone, that individual is obligated to submit to arrest,” the mayor said.

De Blasio said Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was "absolutely right” for urging an end to a recent spate of incidents in which cops were forced to subdue alleged law-breakers physically.

Well bless his heart.

A lot of people aren't going to like that statement from De Blas.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well bless his heart.

This is going to be the opening aria in the opera that is the collectivist internal conflict.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“When a police officer comes to the decision that it’s time to arrest someone, that individual is obligated to submit to arrest,” the mayor said.
“They will then have every opportunity for due process in our court system.”

De Blasio said Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was “absolutely right” for urging an end to a recent spate of incidents in which cops were forced to subdue alleged law-breakers physically.

Submit to your masters, peasants.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Step 1: make so many things illegal that everyone is always breaking some law or other at all times.
Step 2: arrest your enemies.
Step 3: define resisting as anything other than giving the cops a blowjob while they put the cuffs on.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: profit!

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Congressional delegation wants case to go federal

A half-dozen members of the city's congressional delegation say it's time to turn the chokehold death of Eric Garner into a federal case.
U.S. Reps. Hakeem Jeffries, Gregory Meeks and Yvette Clark called Thursday for the U.S. Department of Justice to open an investigation into the July 17 death of the Staten Island man after his takedown by the NYPD.

"The family of Eric Garner deserves an independent and impartial investigation," said Jeffries. "The only way for that to happen is for the Department of Justice to step in and get involved."

The trio joined three New York congressional colleagues — Charles Rangel, Nydia Velazquez and Jose Serrano — in sending a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder about the case.
The nation's top prosecutor has said his office is "closely monitoring" the city probe into Garner's death
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A half-dozen members of the city's congressional delegation say it's time to turn the chokehold death of Eric Garner into a federal case.
U.S. Reps. Hakeem Jeffries, Gregory Meeks and Yvette Clark called Thursday for the U.S. Department of Justice to open an investigation into the July 17 death of the Staten Island man after his takedown by the NYPD.

"The family of Eric Garner deserves an independent and impartial investigation," said Jeffries. "The only way for that to happen is for the Department of Justice to step in and get involved."

The trio joined three New York congressional colleagues — Charles Rangel, Nydia Velazquez and Jose Serrano — in sending a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder about the case.
The nation's top prosecutor has said his office is "closely monitoring" the city probe into Garner's death

Seems a little premature if the department hasn't even finished their investigation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seems a little premature if the department hasn't even finished their investigation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, I saw this coming the day the story broke.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Step 1: make so many things illegal that everyone is always breaking some law or other at all times.
Step 2: arrest your enemies.
Step 3: define resisting as anything other than giving the cops a blowjob while they put the cuffs on.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: profit!

View Quote

my grandfather who was in a siberian goulag for 23 years explained this exact situation as Stalins method of fixing russia.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Premature and predictable aren't incompatible.

PS:  There's a joke there somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
LINK

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A social media rally in support of the NYPD is planned for noon on Friday in light of the controversy over the death of Eric Garner following an altercation with police on Staten Island.

At least 8,000 people plan to participate in the Facebook rally hosted by James Thomson, who identifies himself on his Facebook page as an attorney with Russo, Scamardella & Damato in West Brighton on Staten Island.

"WITHOUT TAKING A POSITION ON THE ERIC GARNER CASE, it seems the police have been catching a lot of public flack lately. Still, many brave men and women risk their lives every day protecting our community," says a message on the rally Facebook page.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

LINK

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LINK

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A social media rally in support of the NYPD is planned for noon on Friday in light of the controversy over the death of Eric Garner following an altercation with police on Staten Island.

At least 8,000 people plan to participate in the Facebook rally hosted by James Thomson, who identifies himself on his Facebook page as an attorney with Russo, Scamardella & Damato in West Brighton on Staten Island.

"WITHOUT TAKING A POSITION ON THE ERIC GARNER CASE, it seems the police have been catching a lot of public flack lately. Still, many brave men and women risk their lives every day protecting our community," says a message on the rally Facebook page.

Some people like it.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Neighborhood where Eric Garner died has gotten worse

A rattled Staten Island landlord repeatedly contacted the cops about the nightmare on Bay St.: dope dealers, cigarette peddlers, public urination, threats of rape and assault.

Then Eric Garner, a suspected seller of untaxed cigarettes, died in the midst of his July 17 arrest. A month later, things on the block are even more out of control.

“It has only gotten worse, much worse, since Eric died,” the landlord told the Daily News ahead of Sunday’s one-month anniversary of Garner’s death.

“Now the police, they don’t want to have another incident there so they have a hands-off approach,” said the landlord, who asked not to be identified. “Anyway you slice it, it’s a mess.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A rattled Staten Island landlord repeatedly contacted the cops about the nightmare on Bay St.: dope dealers, cigarette peddlers, public urination, threats of rape and assault.

Then Eric Garner, a suspected seller of untaxed cigarettes, died in the midst of his July 17 arrest. A month later, things on the block are even more out of control.

“It has only gotten worse, much worse, since Eric died,” the landlord told the Daily News ahead of Sunday’s one-month anniversary of Garner’s death.

“Now the police, they don’t want to have another incident there so they have a hands-off approach,” said the landlord, who asked not to be identified. “Anyway you slice it, it’s a mess.”

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z316/runcible22/oh-yes-suck-it-bitch_zpse33b69ea.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z316/runcible22/nyclu_middlefinger_cop_130207a-615x345-1_zps93c3fc15.jpg

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is a completely unforeseen turn of events!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I, for one, am baffled!"
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When will people learn not to fight with cops?  I just do not understand it.

My Dad told me many years ago, "Son, do not fight with the cops because they can do anything to you they want.  When the cops arrive, stop, put your hands up, smile and say "Yes sir" and do what you're told.  Then go to court and hope the cop doesn't show or you get a judge that dislikes cops".

Follow those rules and more often than not you'll be fine.  I used to think it was funny when I was younger, the cops would show up, I'd follow my Dad's advice and my friends would fuck with the cops.  Most of the time, after they dealt with my idiot friends, one of the cops would look at me and say "Why are you standing there with your hands up?  Get lost and don't let me see you again tonight".

Seriously, it's not rocket surgery.

View Quote
I was in the old Five Two precint. The cops would threaten us if we fucked up we would end up in there. It looked like 1313 Mockingbird Lane on the Munsters. The cops were shitfaced drunk sometimes. They were cheap bastards, too. I worked across the street from the Four Oh in a restaurant. In those days it was $0.15 or a quarter tip. I never seen cheaper bastards in my life
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With a Staten Island jury or bench trial? I wouldn't be so sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NY's "Finest" going to prison.

City will settle with the family before a trial
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if he beats a state trial he's probably going to get charged federally like Livoti.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even if he beats a state trial he's probably going to get charged federally like Livoti.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they settle they can slowly walk back to lesser charges. Once the family is paid everyone will be on a drunken stupor or on a high-high, the PBA lawyers will make deals then. It's all about money
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]
http://nypost.com/2014/08/13/wise-words-from-nycs-top-cop/

"What we’ve seen in the past few months is a number of individuals
failing to understand that you must submit to arrest, you cannot
resist,” Bratton said in an interview on Brian Lehrer’s radio show. "The
place to argue your case is in the court, not in the street.”

As Bratton said from the outset, "My officers are not going to walk
away” when someone resists arrest. He also notes that cops aren’t in the
harassment business.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If they settle they can slowly walk back to lesser charges. Once the family is paid everyone will be on a drunken stupor or on a high-high, the PBA lawyers will make deals then. It's all about money
View Quote

There won't be any settlement until after the criminal phase is done.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would the city want it to go to a jury of his "peers"? Edited, in Staten Island? Maybe he has a chance, but if they were selling "loosies" in that borough, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would the city want it to go to a jury of his "peers"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

City is going to be paying millions no matter what.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the demographics of SI?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good chunk of SI is shitty.
Not sure if the DA there will charge him.
Either way, if he doesn't get charged or if he does and he beats the case, they'll charge him federally.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Either way, if he doesn't get charged or if he does and he beats the case, they'll charge him federally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's changed from when I left
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"It has only gotten worse, much worse, since Eric died,” the landlord told the Daily News ahead of Sunday’s one-month anniversary of Garner’s death.

"Now the police, they don’t want to have another incident there so they have a hands-off approach,” said the landlord, who asked not to be identified. "Anyway you slice it, it’s a mess.”

Looks like SI got the police department they deserve.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like SI got the police department they deserve.
View Quote

They can share in the fun that Brooklyn North is having.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Going to the Grand Jury

A Staten Island grand jury will finally begin hearing evidence next month in the July chokehold death of an asthmatic father of six who died in police custody.
The borough’s district attorney announced the panel’s impending work Tuesday in a three-paragraph statement issued two days after the one-month anniversary of Eric Garner’s death.

“Based upon the investigation that my office has conducted to date ... I have determined that it is appropriate to present evidence regarding the circumstances of his death to a Richmond County grand jury,” prosecutor Daniel Donovan said.

“I intend to utilize that grand jury sometime next month to begin presenting evidence in this matter.”

Though the New York City Medical Examiner declared Garner’s death a homicide following an autopsy, not a single suspect has yet been charged or arrested in connection with his death.
News of the grand jury was greeted coolly by the dead man’s family, with his widow, Esaw Garner, declining to comment Tuesday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Rev. Al Sharpton cools rhetoric at ‘chokehold’ summit

The Rev. Al Sharpton said Wednesday that he’s bringing members of Missouri cop-slaying victim Michael Brown’s family to the Staten Island protest against police brutality, as Mayor de Blasio convened a clergy summit Wednesday to “send a message of peace and reconciliation.”

Sharpton was part of the clergy meeting at Timothy Cardinal Dolan’s residence and emerged much more conciliatory than when he clashed with Police Commissioner Bratton at a similar session three weeks ago in City Hall.

“All police are not bad, most are not bad,” said Sharpton. “And they should not be colored by the activities of individuals, any more than a black that does wrong should color me.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rev. Al Sharpton cools rhetoric at ‘chokehold’ summit

The Rev. Al Sharpton said Wednesday that he’s bringing members of Missouri cop-slaying victim Michael Brown’s family to the Staten Island protest against police brutality, as Mayor de Blasio convened a clergy summit Wednesday to "send a message of peace and reconciliation.”

Sharpton was part of the clergy meeting at Timothy Cardinal Dolan’s residence and emerged much more conciliatory than when he clashed with Police Commissioner Bratton at a similar session three weeks ago in City Hall.

"All police are not bad, most are not bad,” said Sharpton. "And they should not be colored by the activities of individuals, any more than a black that does wrong should color me.”

Where's the "separation of church and state" rhetoric now?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd rather go to grand jury than a direct charge like they did with Zimmerman.
View Quote

He's got a good shot with a Staten Island grand jury. Not so much with the feds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah but the feds don't win all of them.
They lost the one here in B'ham.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's got a good shot with a Staten Island grand jury. Not so much with the feds.

The last chokehold guy here got 7.5 years in prison from the feds.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Was it a real chokehold because this case is not?
View Quote

Exact same findings from the autopsy back then and the guy was an asthmatic like Garner also.
Doesn't matter anymore if it was a real chokehold because everyone believes and says it was including the guy's own department.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#43]
"Hats and Bats"

Hundreds of cops have been ordered to bring their “hats and bats” — helmets and old-school wooden nightsticks — to the Rev. Al Sharpton’s march against police brutality, sources said Thursday.

About 350 officers, some on their days off, were told to report to the Staten Island rally at 6 a.m. Saturday, two hours earlier than usual.

And while sources say the NYPD isn’t expecting anything like the riots that have rocked Ferguson, Mo., since a white cop fatally shot a black teen on Aug. 9, they are worried about outside agitators.

“We have no reason to believe there will be any problems. Our only concern is that there will be outsiders coming to cause problems,” a police source said.
View Quote

ETA: The reporter should do some research and realize that probably 99% of the cops on the department now aren't allowed to carry "old-school wooden nightsticks".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So.. GJ says no, but the Feds say yes?

How about actual acquittals? Do the feds get a second shot too?

Double jeopardy doesn't mean much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Exact same findings from the autopsy back then and the guy was an asthmatic like Garner also.

Doesn't matter anymore if it was a real chokehold because everyone believes and says it was including the guy's own department.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a real chokehold because this case is not?

Exactly. I see a lot of folks saying, "But it wasn't really a chokehold!", not realizing that it doesn't make a difference.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ask Francis Livoti.

Livoti's trial began in September, 1996. He had waived his right to a jury trial and instead opted to have the case heard solely by a judge. In October 1996, Officer Francis Livoti was acquitted by a State Supreme Court Justice. Fearing reprisals and heeding to the outcries of the public, the federal government stepped in.

In June 1998, Livoti was convicted in Federal court of violating Anthony Baez’s civil rights, and was sentenced to seven and a half years in federal prison.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Ask Francis Livoti.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask Francis Livoti.

Livoti's trial began in September, 1996. He had waived his right to a jury trial and instead opted to have the case heard solely by a judge. In October 1996, Officer Francis Livoti was acquitted by a State Supreme Court Justice. Fearing reprisals and heeding to the outcries of the public, the federal government stepped in.

In June 1998, Livoti was convicted in Federal court of violating Anthony Baez’s civil rights, and was sentenced to seven and a half years in federal prison.

"I'm not sayin' it's right, but I understand."

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Closed for business

Fearing Ferguson-style violence, several Staten Island merchants are planning to close their doors ahead of Saturday’s march against police brutality.
The Rev. Al Sharpton has insisted Saturday’s demonstration in honor of police chokehold victim Eric Garner will be peaceful.

But some business owners aren’t taking any chances — especially in light of the recent clashes between cops and protesters in Ferguson, Mo., after a cop shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown.

“It’s no secret what’s going on in Missouri and what the potential is,” said Karl Reina, owner of Karl’s Klipper Restaurant on Bay St.
Still, Reina said his chief reason for closing shop during the march is because he’s convinced the volume of people in the streets will impede his customers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask Francis Livoti.

Was LIVOTI the cop who perforated a guys large intestine with a plunger while in custody? Or choked out the guy who hit his car with the football?
If this is him, for once someone deserved the Federal Civil Rights Charge they nailed him with!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Or choked out the guy who hit his car with the football?
If this is him, for once someone deserved the Federal Civil Rights Charge they nailed him with!
View Quote

Football guy.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top