BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he had just cuffed up he would have had his day in court and quite possibly be still alive.
View Quote

Yes, quite possibly.

Here's a question ..... is that infraction (suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes) something that NYPD officers would normally cuff and haul in a suspect for?  Maybe Extorris could answer that one.  I have no idea how something like that is handled in NY.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Stupid question. He was complying, but resisting. Never mind the tape was edited too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was he compliant or was he resisting?

Stupid question. He was complying, but resisting. Never mind the tape was edited too.

No no no we've already been over this, he was evading not resisting.
Geesh guys try to keep up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Resisting arrest" is the biggest BS charge scam on the books.  It is nothing but a vehicle for adding serious charges to what would otherwise be a minor infraction as well as an excuse for escalation of force.  

Every recruit in the nation is taught to shout "STOP RESISTING!" repeatedly during an arrest.  Why?  It makes compelling evidence if you are ever videotaped or recorded.  Complete and utter BS.  It is the modern day version of a cop using a nightstick to smash out your tail lights and headlights to justify pulling you over.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the main question in this thread, which is not being answered is a very simple one:

When some law-breaking fat fucker, when faced with arrest, fights the cops and ends up over-exerting his big fat overworked heart and dies, why, exactly, is it the fault of the police?

Well, there are some other questions you're not asking.  Supposedly the take down was for a "suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes".  So the question you're not asking is should the police have gone hands on given that they had nothing but a "suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes".  Do the police have the right to take you to the ground if they suspect you haven't been paying your taxes?  

Also, there appears to be an issue of using a choke hold that is against NYPD policy.  

Keep in mind that being fat isn't a crime, unless you're in the Nanny Bloomberg camp.

He was not taken to the ground over cigarettes.  He was resisting arrest.

"Resisting arrest" is the biggest BS charge scam on the books.  It is nothing but a vehicle for adding serious charges to what would otherwise be a minor infraction as well as an excuse for escalation of force.  

Every recruit in the nation is taught to shout "STOP RESISTING!" repeatedly during an arrest.  Why?  It makes compelling evidence if you are ever videotaped or recorded.  Complete and utter BS.  It is the modern day version of a cop using a nightstick to smash out your tail lights and headlights to justify pulling you over.  

Hmm I was a recruit and I wasn't taught that.
I am also a use of force instructor guess what I don't teach that.

Soooo I say you're full of shit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What was he being arrested for?  

Having a arrest record for tax issues a) does not make on guilty of any future crimes b) does not make one a violent offender and c) is not reasonable cause or probable cause for search and arrest.  The man committed no crime on video and according to witnesses, prior to the video.  Was he read his Miranda Rights prior to or during arrest? What were the charges?  

Having arrest powers does not empower an officer to arrest at will.  There has to be probable cause for arrest AND probably cause for use of force and especially for escalated force.  This man was attacked by 5 officers because he was a known easy target for arrest as he most likely had cigs with no tax stamp.  That is still not justification for harassment or arrest unless an officer has evidence of a crime.  

Care to come up with some other bullshit to justify this behavior?
View Quote

Read Miranda..... you are awesome man awesome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was he being arrested for?  

Having a arrest record for tax issues a) does not make on guilty of any future crimes b) does not make one a violent offender and c) is not reasonable cause or probable cause for search and arrest.  The man committed no crime on video and according to witnesses, prior to the video.  Was he read his Miranda Rights prior to or during arrest? What were the charges?  

Having arrest powers does not empower an officer to arrest at will.  There has to be probable cause for arrest AND probably cause for use of force and especially for escalated force.  This man was attacked by 5 officers because he was a known easy target for arrest as he most likely had cigs with no tax stamp.  That is still not justification for harassment or arrest unless an officer has evidence of a crime.  

Care to come up with some other bullshit to justify this behavior?

Law and Order watcher?

Gotta be...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm perfectly comfortable having a debate and/or discussion on a matter knowing all of the facts are missing but to put your name and reputation on the line over a video that leaves a lot to be desired is too much for me.  Maybe his aren't worth that much to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a bold statement for a doctor to make based only on a video.

That's my thought exactly.

I'm perfectly comfortable having a debate and/or discussion on a matter knowing all of the facts are missing but to put your name and reputation on the line over a video that leaves a lot to be desired is too much for me.  Maybe his aren't worth that much to begin with.

Yup it's a stupid move if you are worried about your rep.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

Here's a question ..... is that infraction (suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes) something that NYPD officers would normally cuff and haul in a suspect for?  Maybe Extorris could answer that one.  I have no idea how something like that is handled in NY.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he had just cuffed up he would have had his day in court and quite possibly be still alive.

Yes, quite possibly.

like I said, huge issue.

State Task Force to end smuggling
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy fuck, that guy was HUGE!!!  It looked like me with kindergartners crawling all over me.

There was no slamming and I think the choke hold was held a little longer than necessary but the guy WAS resisting and fighting.  I'm hearing it was a heart attack.  Kinda too bad, this guy was married with children, you know how rare that is?

Man, I know so many guys who take ciggies home from NC and VA to pay for leave!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

arrests are made for that everyday, many of the perps are "frequent fliers"

more than likely he would have been issued a Desk Appearance ticket and be released in a couple hours- too bad about that

take everything the "witnesses" say with a grain of salt, they are all FSA from the housing project up the block and are most likely gang bangers
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd stop breaking the law long before that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sounds like he was fed up with being harassed by the police, at the beginning of the video he states he is tired of it.
What would it take for you to reach your breaking point?

I'd stop breaking the law long before that.

Why don't you knock it off with those negative waves
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yes, quite possibly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

It's communist country, I expect unlicensed farting would get you hooked and booked.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's communist country, I expect unlicensed farting would get you hooked and booked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

Fortune telling is a misdemeanor

§ 165.35 Fortune telling.
   A  person is guilty of fortune telling when, for a fee or compensation
 which he directly or indirectly  solicits  or  receives,  he  claims  or
 pretends  to  tell  fortunes,  or  holds  himself  out as being able, by
 claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions  or  give
 advice  on  personal  matters  or  to exorcise, influence or affect evil
 spirits or curses; except that this section does not apply to  a  person
 who  engages  in  the  aforedescribed  conduct  as  part  of  a  show or
 exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement.
   Fortune telling is a class B misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

Even if it is normally an offense that only a citation is issued for, if you refuse to provide ID, you're going to take the ride.  Just because it isn't "normally" an arrestable offense doesn't mean you can't be arrested for it.

Now, do I know that to be the case in the video?  No, not for sure.  I can hazard a reasonably educated guess though based upon the deceased's actions prior to LE going hands on that he wasn't very forthcoming with any of the info needed to cite him.

ETA:  I've been out of this thread for a while.  Have we even determined what the reason for LE contact was?  I know it was a toss up between the untaxed cigarettes and "breaking up a fight."
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen several Facebook posts about this. Supposedly he was not involved in some fight they were there over. Any clue as to what happened?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  He may well have been selling untaxed cigarettes (a horrible crime btw), but neither you nor I know that.  Because he had done something in the past it does not follow that he was doing it then.  That is an issue for a court to decide.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you are assuming facts not yet in evidence.  He may have been breaking the law with respect to selling untaxed cigarettes. That is certainly what LE has contended and it may well turn out to be the case, but at this point we don't know.

The other issue is whether it was proper for NYPD to get physical in the first place over a tax issue.  I do *not* know the laws in NY, but that kind of infraction in many jurisdictions would result in either a citation or simply a report to the department of revenue who would investigate further.  

I've assumed nothing.  He had prior arrests for it.  Cigarette smuggling is an issue up there.

Bullshit.  He may well have been selling untaxed cigarettes (a horrible crime btw), but neither you nor I know that.  Because he had done something in the past it does not follow that he was doing it then.  That is an issue for a court to decide.

Then he should have chosen to go to court peacefully.  He chose to resist.  He also chose to be an unhealthy fatass...choices that ended badly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, quite possibly.

Not sure about NYC but here, city ordinances  are an arrestable offense. Officers have a choice of cite and release or arrest/book.
We usually only arrest/book frequent flyers or when it can calm down a situation by removing certain people from it.
Normally it is a cite and release. I would think that most cities work in this same manner.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope Officer Chokey gets fired and gets awarded a nice view of prison from the wrong side of the bars.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
take everything the "witnesses" say with a grain of salt, they are all FSA from the housing project up the block and are most likely gang bangers
View Quote

Save your breath. They may complain about the hood-rats, the FSA, and the "Amish," but they'll side with them every time against the cops.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Policy is not law. Failure to adhere to policy can get someone fired and open them up to civil liability. I had no problem firing staff for failure to follow policies and procedures.
View Quote

Neither does NYPD.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My second question is procedural.  Is it really the case that NYPD officers haul people in on the suspicion that they might be selling untaxed cigarettes?  I've owned a business in the past and am fairly confident that in my jurisdiction if the police suspected that I might be doing such a thing that they would make a report to the state or city revenue department and the investigation would be handled by them.  Maybe things are different in NY.  
View Quote

Yes, they do.
Cop was part of the precinct's "Conditions" unit. They make arrests like that all the time. Store owners in area complain about the sales and the supervisor sends the unit to address the complaints. I was assigned to my precinct's Conditions unit but sale of untaxed cigarettes wasn't really a priority in our area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's his screen name?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eric Garner could have been saved by proper medical care: Dr. Cyril Wecht

A Staten Island man who died after an officer put him in a chokehold may have survived if he was given proper medical attention, said famed pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht.

Wecht, who has been a consultant in several high-profile cases including JonBenet Ramsey and Anna Nicole Smith, said Eric Garner should have been immediately placed upright. “You want to position him in such a way to facilitate breathing,” he said.

Garner’s death was likely caused by a dangerous combination of a chokehold and being pinned down, Wecht said.

Link

That's a bold statement for a doctor to make based only on a video.

What's his screen name?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, they do.
Cop was part of the precinct's "Conditions" unit. They make arrests like that all the time. Store owners in area complain about the sales and the supervisor sends the unit to address the complaints. I was assigned to my precinct's Conditions unit but sale of untaxed cigarettes wasn't really a priority in our area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My second question is procedural.  Is it really the case that NYPD officers haul people in on the suspicion that they might be selling untaxed cigarettes?  I've owned a business in the past and am fairly confident that in my jurisdiction if the police suspected that I might be doing such a thing that they would make a report to the state or city revenue department and the investigation would be handled by them.  Maybe things are different in NY.  

Yes, they do.

"Conditions" being code for shit that people are bitching to the politicians about?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#24]
4 EMT'S NOW SUSPENDED WITHOUT PAY FOR ERIC GARNER'S DEATH

Link

TOMPKINSVILLE (WABC) -- While the investigation continues into the death of the man who appeared to be held in a chokehold as police attempted to arrest him last week, there is more fallout for those who were at the scene. The four EMT's who responded to the scene are now all suspended without pay by Richmond University Medical Center as the hospital conducts it's own internal investigation.

A second video had surfaced showing Garner's lifeless body on the ground unaided for several minutes, four emergency workers employed by Richmond University Medical Center were also disciplined amid questions about their lack of medical response. It's not until a few minutes into the second video that a female technician finally takes Garner's pulse and tells him they're going to get help.

The second video is embedded in the below news article:

"The second video shows Garner on his side on the ground as a crowd builds around him. Police first try to make the person capturing the footage leave, but they do not. Cops try to talk with Garner, but he does not respond - his eyes are closed and his head droops onto the sidewalk. They openly wonder if he still has a pulse, and one officer presses his fingers to Garner's neck and says he does. People keep asking why they aren't doing CPR, and paramedics do not arrive for over three minutes. The paramedic tries communicating with Garner: 'We're here to help.' But he does not answer."

Link
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
EXCLUSIVE: Internal NYPD report on incident with Staten Island dad Eric Garner does not mention chokehold, states he was not 'in great distress'

link

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#26]
So what is the latest on this cluster fuck?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems he was suspected of selling individual cigarettes according to police commissioner Bratton.

Link

De Blasio said he has ordered Bratton to make sure there is a full investigation. Prosecutors as well as the police department will look into Garner’s death. It appeared that Garner was selling individual cigarettes — “a seemingly minor quality of life offense,” Bratton noted, but something that sparks complaints and 911 calls — which prompted the officers to confront Garner in the first place, the commissioner said.

“As defined in the department’s patrol guide, this would appear to have been a chokehold,” Bratton said. But he said the final determination depended on what the district attorney and the police department’s own internal affairs find in their investigations.

Chokeholds are prohibited by the New York Police Department, Bratton said, but the department may remind or retrain officers to make sure they know chokeholds are not allowed.

The city medical examiner’s office said Sunday that it had not determined the cause and manner of Garner’s death, refuting reports suggesting that it had already determined that the chokehold didn’t damage Garner’s throat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#28]

That being said, in your experience, would a subject be saying "I can't breathe" when suffering from a heart attack?

Yes....i know this as fact...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't believe they outlawed the choke hold.
First, it was the sleeper hold and now this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, they do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they do.

Considering the dead guy had open cases and prior arrests for untaxed cigarettes and weed, I have to wonder if his store wasn't a dope spot.

Which would explain why the Conditions cops were "harassing" him.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Considering the dead guy had open cases and prior arrests for untaxed cigarettes and weed, I have to wonder if his store wasn't a dope spot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they do.

It was posted early on in this thread that his arrests involved small quantities cigs and one instance of a small quantity of weed, all misdemeanors. They mentioned 6 packs of smokes in one arrest and 20-something packs in another arrest. Also the commissioner stated he was selling individual cigarettes. Sounds like he buys a few cartons from out of state and sells the individual cigarettes on the street.

EDIT:

Here's a list of the suspect's past charges:

Link
At the time of his death, the Port Richmond resident had three misdemeanor cases pending in Stapleton Criminal Court. He was free on $2,000 bail.

On Aug. 22 of last year, Garner was arrested on School Road and Bay Street, Fort Wadsworth, for allegedly driving without a license, according to a criminal complaint.

Garner, 43, gave cops a phony name and put himself in more hot water when officers allegedly found untaxed cigarettes and a small amount of marijuana in the 1998 Lincoln Navigator he was driving, the complaint said.

He was charged with aggravated unlicensed vehicle operation, false personation, possession or sale of untaxed cigarettes and marijuana possession, according to information from District Attorney Daniel Donovan's office.

Seven months later, while out on $1,000 bail, Garner was busted on March 28 for allegedly selling unstamped cigarettes on the street outside of 200 Bay St., Tompkinsville. He had 24 packs of untaxed smokes in his possession, police said.

The location is next door to 202 Bay St., where the fatal confrontation occurred Thursday between cops and Garner.

Garner was charged with a misdemeanor count of violating the cigarette and tobacco products tax and posted $1,000 bail, online state court records show.

Garner was arrested again on May 7 on Victory Boulevard and St. Marks Place, Tompkinsville. The site is across the block from Bay Street.

Cops accused him of possessing six packs of untaxed cigarettes.

Garner last appeared in court to answer the three cases on July 2. The matters were all adjourned then to Oct. 7, online state court records show.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

EXCLUSIVE: Internal NYPD report on incident with Staten Island dad Eric Garner does not mention chokehold, states he was not 'in great distress'

link

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1875320.1406000107!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/graphic-chokeupdated-0721.jpg?enlarged
View Quote

Maybe because it wasn't a choke hold as many have pointed out previously in this thread...???

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe because it wasn't a choke hold as many have pointed out previously in this thread...???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1875320.1406000107!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/graphic-chokeupdated-0721.jpg?enlarged

NYC Police Commissioner Bratton has already stated that it was a choke hold. Better give him a call and set him straight.

Link

De Blasio said he has ordered Bratton to make sure there is a full investigation. Prosecutors as well as the police department will look into Garner’s death.

“As defined in the department’s patrol guide, this would appear to have been a chokehold,” Bratton said. But he said the final determination depended on what the district attorney and the police department’s own internal affairs find in their investigations.

Chokeholds are prohibited by the New York Police Department, Bratton said, but the department may remind or retrain officers to make sure they know chokeholds are not allowed.

The city medical examiner’s office said Sunday that it had not determined the cause and manner of Garner’s death, refuting reports suggesting that it had already determined that the chokehold didn’t damage Garner’s throat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
NYC Police Commissioner Bratton has already stated that it was a choke hold. Better give him a call and set him straight.
Link
De Blasio said he has ordered Bratton to make sure there is a full investigation. Prosecutors as well as the police department will look into Garner’s death.
"As defined in the department’s patrol guide, this would appear to have been a chokehold,” Bratton said. But he said the final determination depended on what the district attorney and the police department’s own internal affairs find in their investigations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

Link
"As defined in the department’s patrol guide, this would appear to have been a chokehold,” Bratton said. But he said the final determination depended on what the district attorney and the police department’s own internal affairs find in their investigations.

Their department is full of shit.  Wrapping your arms around the upper body/head to take a guy to the ground in NOT a choke hold.  Any use of force expert will tear this apart.  
I know choke holds.  My department allows "upper body, coratid restraint" and I've "choked" out dozens of dudes over the years.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Their department is full of shit.  Wrapping your arms around the upper body/head to take a guy to the ground in NOT a choke hold.  Any use of force expert will tear this apart,  

View Quote

The key point in the statement is "As defined in the department’s patrol guide".  Just like a machine gun isn't every gun that can hold more than 11 rounds, but it is defined as such in the laws in DC.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Full investigation my ass.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The key point in the statement is "As defined in the department’s patrol guide".  Just like a machine gun isn't every gun that can hold more than 11 rounds, but it is defined as such in the laws in DC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their department is full of shit.  Wrapping your arms around the upper body/head to take a guy to the ground in NOT a choke hold.  Any use of force expert will tear this apart,  

From '05 copy of NYPD Patrol Guide, section on chokeholds + excessive force.

"As defined in the department’s patrol guide, this would appear to have been a chokehold,” Police Commissioner Bratton said. But he said the final determination depended on what the district attorney and the police department’s own internal affairs find in their investigations.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtJmKIbCUAEW0e1.png:large
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, the officers will find a thousand experts to testify that it wasn't a chokehold.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#39]
They're not killing dags anymore!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Should have...

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Instead of...

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#42]
So the officer wouldn't have to...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, the officers will find a thousand experts to testify that it wasn't a chokehold.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens when a police officer is the one who was choked by other police officers?  

NYPD Police Officer Larry Jackson is suing the City of New York and various members of the NYPD for $175 million dollars for racial discrimination, civil rights violations and related claims.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NEW YORK, March 17, 2014 – Today, after filing complaints with the NYPD Internal Affairs Bureau, New York City Civil Complaint Review Board and the Queens County District Attorney’s Office accusing White police officers of a brutal beat down inside and outside his Queens home, his case is headed for trial later this year in Brooklyn Federal Court.

Larry Jackson contends the White police officers – who responded to a 911 call from his fianceé about a gun-wielding man who tried to crash their daughter’s birthday party – mistreated him because he is black.

Jackson claims he was ‘choked’ beaten with police batons, kicked and doused with pepper spray after he identified himself to the White police officers in August 2011. He suffered a fracture to his shooting hand, nerve damage, and other related injuries and will likely have to file for a disability retirement, according to the lawsuit filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

“Unfortunately, this is a persistent problem in the Department particularly African-American male police officers being assaulted by White Officers it is the Department’s ‘dirty little secret.’ Mr. Jackson is looking forward to presenting his case to a jury where hopefully, they will hold the Department accountable for these officers’ actions,” said lawyer Eric Sanders.

You can read the details of the lawsuit here
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59tetR0UN1qis6pso10_1280.jpgSo the officer wouldn't have to...
View Quote

Thanks for this.

Well, well done.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Now GD wants to...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#46]

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This thing is done. No charges, some retraining and done. They already know how he died.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems he was suspected of selling individual cigarettes according to police commissioner Bratton.

Link

De Blasio said he has ordered Bratton to make sure there is a full investigation. Prosecutors as well as the police department will look into Garner’s death. It appeared that Garner was selling individual cigarettes — “a seemingly minor quality of life offense,” Bratton noted, but something that sparks complaints and 911 calls — which prompted the officers to confront Garner in the first place, the commissioner said.

This thing is done. No charges, some retraining and done. They already know how he died.

Do you have a copy of the medical examiner's report? Please do post it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They couldn't have written him a citation for selling cigarettes and called it a day?  To me that's like arresting someone for not wearing a seat belt.

I agree that people who are really choking cannot say they are choking.  I actually thought he went down pretty easy.  He definitely could have been held down and cuffed without that many people crushing him.

Obviously flailing your arms around and resisting arrest aren't a good idea but the way police seem to handle arrests these days by having 4 or 5 people kneel on a person is ridiculous.

His family will get either a 7 figure judgement or 6 figure settlement to go away....  From a purely economic stand point not even thinking about whether this man was at fault or not the police made an absolutely fucking stupid move and the tax payers will suffer for it.
View Quote

Don't think citation is an option. Out of state smokes, with say, NJ tax stamp being sold in NYC? I think that's a federal issue. I don't exactly agree with it, but if I understand the law right that's how it is. We had MN cigarettes show up in our store in IA once, had to stop selling cigarettes for a week and check every tax stamp on cigs for another 2 weeks.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top