BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you not read this thread?  He's right, look at all the derp.  No one can be happy about a new gun store, and hopefully new gun owners.  They feel the need to piss all over it and it's sad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of butthurt coming from the trailer trash fringe is hilarious.

Plenty of doctors, lawyers, and other professionals on this board who would be equally happy to tell you to GTFO and troll elsewhere.

<-- 0% white, 0% trailer trash, highly educated, 100% American

Have you not read this thread?  He's right, look at all the derp.  No one can be happy about a new gun store, and hopefully new gun owners.  They feel the need to piss all over it and it's sad.

Exactly. I think it's cool as shit. I could move to fucking Europe and deal with better gun regulation than I can in California.

Fucking Sweden, and Switzerland are more American than California.

Who cares if their tactical market isn't as big as ours? At least it's available.

Also, it's legal to use a gun for self defense there, right?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Around a 1000USD, but that's including a 25% VAT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey swede, how much would, say, a Remington Model 700 in .243 cost in dollars? Just curious as to what you guys work with over there.

Fuck man. That hurts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

In Sweden, the violence used must be "proportional" to the threat faced. There are court cases that have determined that using lethal force is fairly easy to justify inside your home. Firearms have to be locked up in an approved safe, but my safe is next to the bed.

Home invasions are rare, but there was one case where a career criminal was attacked by enemies. He fought them with an illegal AK. Afterwards he was given a 4 month sentence for possessing the illegal gun, but he was cleared for having used it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fuck man. That hurts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey swede, how much would, say, a Remington Model 700 in .243 cost in dollars? Just curious as to what you guys work with over there.

Fuck man. That hurts.

Yeah, as I said. Money is a greater hindrance to me than the law at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The fermented fish and expensive booze have failed to lure me to Sweden.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only good thing about your country is the females, other than that...

Have you ever actually been here?

They've got more food than fermented fish, most of it isn't very good either though. And the key is to buy your booze in Estonia, it's a decent boat ride but you can save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They've got more food than fermented fish, most of it isn't very good either though. And the key is to buy your booze in Estonia, it's a decent boat ride but you can save a few bucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You don't know anything about us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, don't make me talk about Swedes... all right?

So....details of your travels in the USA?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm sure there are a few really good Swedish meals I haven't tried. I really like Mämmi, you should be proud of that dish.

Oh wait. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Houston to visit friends.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know enough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know enough.

See, you say that......
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well I'm sure there are a few really good Swedish meals I haven't tried. I really like Mämmi, you should be proud of that dish.

Oh wait. Sorry.
View Quote

Finland is a Swedish province, so it counts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Should call it "Dark Age Weapons"----WTF?!  

All the guns in there are based on designs from like 200 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come further north, we're more Lutheran.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some day I will. Money is tight at the moment though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can visit this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Swedish_Institute
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, but you have to go through quite a few hoops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get people from these restrictive countries getting all butt hurt. Sweden has shitty gun laws like most of Europe, just like Canada. I don't waste time yapping that NY ain't that bad and at least I can still carry a pistol and everyone outside of NYC can have unloaded long guns in their car (no idea if you get harassed downstate though)

I'm just trying to explain how our gun laws actually work.

Can you get full auto in Sweden?

Can you tell me a little more about the process?

Full auto in the USA is not as easy as TV makes it look. Buying a few machineguns here could easily cost >$100,000 and take several years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Full auto in the USA is not as easy as TV makes it look. Buying a few machineguns here could easily cost >$100,000 and take several years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get people from these restrictive countries getting all butt hurt. Sweden has shitty gun laws like most of Europe, just like Canada. I don't waste time yapping that NY ain't that bad and at least I can still carry a pistol and everyone outside of NYC can have unloaded long guns in their car (no idea if you get harassed downstate though)

Even MACs have gotten stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full auto is possible on two different types of licenses, collector's license or target-shooting license.

If you own a firearm on a collector's license your not usually allowed to fire it. You also have to have a theme for your collection, for example you could specialize in British military firearms, pre-war Scandinavian weapons or some other fairly narrow area. This theme has to be approved before you can start.

Full-auto firearms on a target-shooting license have to be renewed every 5 years. In order to get a target-shooting license you have to be a member of a shooting club that uses the kind of firearm you want. You have to take part in competitions and such to show that you're active, and you have to be a member for at least 6 months. There are quite a few clubs that shoot SMG competitions, usually using the Swedish K, but due to the increased regulations there aren't many new shooters who take up the sport.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Full auto is possible on two different types of licenses, collector's license or target-shooting license.

If you own a firearm on a collector's license your not usually allowed to fire it. You also have to have a theme for your collection, for example you could specialize in British military firearms, pre-war Scandinavian weapons or some other fairly narrow area. This theme has to be approved before you can start.

Full-auto firearms on a target-shooting license have to be renewed every 5 years. In order to get a target-shooting license you have to be a member of a shooting club that uses the kind of firearm you want. You have to take part in competitions and such to show that you're active, and you have to be a member for at least 6 months. There are quite a few clubs that shoot SMG competitions, usually using the Swedish K, but due to the increased regulations there aren't many new shooters who take up the sport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome, thanks! That's actually not too bad. I would surely take those laws over California any day!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's awesome, thanks! That's actually not too bad. I would surely take those laws over California any day!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's also legal to possess M16 lowers, Glock auto sears etc. provided that you don't install them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In Sweden, the violence used must be "proportional" to the threat faced. There are court cases that have determined that using lethal force is fairly easy to justify inside your home. Firearms have to be locked up in an approved safe, but my safe is next to the bed.

Home invasions are rare, but there was one case where a career criminal was attacked by enemies. He fought them with an illegal AK. Afterwards he was given a 4 month sentence for possessing the illegal gun, but he was cleared for having used it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... So was he allowed to own guns after that? Or is it like the US, where his gun ownership rights are gone for good.

Just curious, as an American would've gotten a hell of a lot more time here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To make it easier for my friend across the pond. My house is 1021.933 square meters of living space with a 34.838 square meters attached garage on a 1/4 acre of land. I have no mortgage on my property or house. I paid cash for it. It isn't in a bad area or a crappy structure.

View Quote

You have an 11,000 square foot house?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

... So was he allowed to own guns after that? Or is it like the US, where his gun ownership rights are gone for good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For minor crimes, you usually have to wait 3 years before you can own guns again. For serious crimes it's 5 years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For minor crimes, you usually have to wait 3 years before you can own guns again. For serious crimes it's 5 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

Not that I think we should arm criminals or anything, but I do believe the whole "debt to society has been paid" thing.

You guys do it right.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wow.

Not that I think we should arm criminals or anything, but I do believe the whole "debt to society has been paid" thing.

You guys do it right.
View Quote

One of my uncles was busted when he tried to smuggle an unregistered gun into the country years ago. He now owns several legal guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Neat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Neat.

Hit Wisconsin on the way.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]

That's awesome!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, that sort of surprised me as well.  That's an enormous house, especially for 1/4 acre lot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To make it easier for my friend across the pond. My house is 1021.933 square meters of living space with a 34.838 square meters attached garage on a 1/4 acre of land. I have no mortgage on my property or house. I paid cash for it. It isn't in a bad area or a crappy structure.

Yeah, that sort of surprised me as well.  That's an enormous house, especially for 1/4 acre lot

Decimal points matter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's my guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decimal points matter.

That's my guess.

I figured he might be Floridian royalty, and that was his palace.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:14:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Euro gun ownership is weird. I know y'all can get some euro guns we don't get and I'm happy for you and I'm a let you finish...

But I can walk into a Wal Mart and walk out with two Colt ARs, ammo, a case of Bud, Hot Tub Time Machine on DVD,  and a Nintendo Rehab T shirt in literally no time at all.

Castles and old stuff is cool and e'erythang but...yeah.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Euro gun ownership is weird. I know y'all can get some euro guns we don't get and I'm happy for you and I'm a let you finish...

But I can walk into a Wal Mart and walk out with two Colt ARs, ammo, a case of Bud, Hot Tub Time Machine on DVD,  and a Nintendo Rehab T shirt in literally no time at all.

View Quote

Good for you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
don't take this the wrong way , but you can still only walk out the store with what your government tells you you can , so freer than most yes , totally free no

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:38:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

1,100 Sq Ft.... damn typo.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Havent these Euros reporters ever seen a Cabela's?

It is obvios to me these clowns havent.

http://www.huntinglife.net/

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a bit of a difference. I figured you had to be the wealthiest JBT ever.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:45:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am Florida Royalty... JBT was my official title.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
[don't take this the wrong way , but you can still only walk out the store with what your government tells you you can , so freer than most yes , totally free no

View Quote

My friend,  you make an excellent and cogent point. No elected official in this country is ever going to campaign for the public to have more and better guns devoid of regulation.  Too much fear of another 1776 or 1861.  You, sir, pass for the day.  

Also I don't think Euros owning guns is weird.  Every one should have access to the natural right of armament.   I mean your laws, loopholes, and regulations.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#42]
A 5,0000m2 store makes it sound like something on the scale of Cabela's, so I'm thinking they have a lot of floor space devoted to things that aren't directly firearm's related.

The comments on the RT page are amusing, too.  "OM[G], peacefuls Daenmark haz been corrupted by evil culture of Amerikans!  Be peacesfuls and put away yours guns!  Is for children, da."  And some of the comments from "different" commenters use nearly the exact same grammar and wording.  Troll-skis.

I know nothing of gun laws in Denmark, but I'm guessing that they are centered around hunting and target sports - and that "defense" of self/country is not written into, nor implied by, the laws.  I can understand how having a front row seat to two total wars can make them leery of firearms, but it seems like that would also make a strong case for the defense of country aspect.  I know western Europe prefers the higher road of law and international accord, compared to our utterly lawless cowboy culture, but it seems like martial arms in the hands of a thoughtful, civilized populace could go a long way in staving off some past events.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A 5,0000m2 store makes it sound like something on the scale of Cabela's, so I'm thinking they have a lot of floor space devoted to things that aren't directly firearm's related.

The comments on the RT page are amusing, too.  "OM[G], peacefuls Daenmark haz been corrupted by evil culture of Amerikans!  Be peacesfuls and put away yours guns!  Is for children, da."  And some of the comments from "different" commenters use nearly the exact same grammar and wording.  Troll-skis.

I know nothing of gun laws in Denmark, but I'm guessing that they are centered around hunting and target sports - and that "defense" of self/country is not written into, nor implied by, the laws.  I can understand how having a front row seat to two total wars can make them leery of firearms, but it seems like that would also make a strong case for the defense of country aspect.  I know western Europe prefers the higher road of law and international accord, compared to our utterly lawless cowboy culture, but it seems like martial arms in the hands of a thoughtful, civilized populace could go a long way in staving off some past events.
View Quote

The Danes have a Home Guard, which acts very much like a militia in case of war. They're provided with firearms by the government, just like in Sweden and Norway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#45]
YES! I purchase quite a few hand guns there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#46]
The weapons issued to men in the Home Guard - can they be used for personal use at the range, or only for official training?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The weapons issued to men in the Home Guard - can they be used for personal use at the range, or only for official training?
View Quote

We usually get together in a small group, and book the range for a day.

Officially it's training, but it's also fun. The only requirements are that the range is free, we still have ammo left in our training allotment, and for someone in the group to be a certified firearms instructor, which I happen to be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Exactly.

You couldn't just take your issued rifle to the range for fun one day.  But, you could absolutely get together with a few of your buddies - and ask your platoon commander if it was okay to go to the range to practice - and they'd typically say okay and give you some ammo, and then you could just go.  I've ridden on the bus with my MG-42/59 to get to the shooting range.  

You were definitely not allowed to use the issued "emergency" ammo that you kept at your house for practice.  The 400 rounds (or however many it was, I don't recall the details) were supposed to always be kept - so ammo for training at the range would have to be issued in addition.  

Now, if you just went and bought ammo with your own money, and wanted to go practice at a range - you could probably get away with it. As long as you were in uniform, people would probably assume you were authorized.  But, why pay for the ammo yourself?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We usually get together in a small group, and book the range for a day.

Officially it's training, but it's also fun. The only requirements are that the range is free, we still have ammo left in our training allotment, and for someone in the group to be a certified firearms instructor, which I happen to be.

Exactly.

You couldn't just take your issued rifle to the range for fun one day.  But, you could absolutely get together with a few of your buddies - and ask your platoon commander if it was okay to go to the range to practice - and they'd typically say okay and give you some ammo, and then you could just go.  I've ridden on the bus with my MG-42/59 to get to the shooting range.  

You were definitely not allowed to use the issued "emergency" ammo that you kept at your house for practice.  The 400 rounds (or however many it was, I don't recall the details) were supposed to always be kept - so ammo for training at the range would have to be issued in addition.  

Now, if you just went and bought ammo with your own money, and wanted to go practice at a range - you could probably get away with it. As long as you were in uniform, people would probably assume you were authorized.  But, why pay for the ammo yourself?  

The reason for why we've stuck with the G3 for so long is that there's still a mountain of ammo left from our Cold War stocks. Our yearly allotment is quite large.

The limiting factor is the availability of a military range, many ranges are only available on a limited basis due to them being close to residential areas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top