BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2014 2:53:41 PM EDT
http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/#introducing-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus

Same bat price, more bat awesome!

The Model B+ uses the same BCM2835 application processor as the Model B. It runs the same software, and still has 512MB RAM; but James and the team have made the following key improvements:

• More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins, while retaining the same pinout for the first 26 pins as the Model B.

• More USB. We now have 4 USB 2.0 ports, compared to 2 on the Model B, and better hotplug and overcurrent behaviour.

• Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.

• Lower power consumption. By replacing linear regulators with switching ones we’ve reduced power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W.

• Better audio. The audio circuit incorporates a dedicated low-noise power supply.

• Neater form factor. We’ve aligned the USB connectors with the board edge, moved composite video onto the 3.5mm jack, and added four squarely-placed mounting holes.

View Quote

Going to order one on Thursday!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I still haven't found anything to do with my Model B. I still want one though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Mine is sitting in it's original box up on a shelf in my closet.  Too slow to do anything useful.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If someone would show me something cool to do with one (with a tutorial) I'd love to have one, but I know jack and shit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, silly question from one who hasn't really followed these threads.  Are they just little, dirt cheap computers?  

I LOVE that little Enigma machine, even if it pretty much says it can be broken.  

What else can they do, and are they multi-use, or do you build each Pi around a single task they just do very well?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish they had come out with this 6 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They are a little computer that runs linux.

Check youtube for some cool things that people have done with them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have XBMC running on mine and I have to say it is the best little media PC ever. I have been running XBMC since the XBOX 1 days and for the space, cost, and power savings, it's hard to beat the Pi.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have three of them running XBMC, playing videos stored on a central server to TVs around the house. They work surprising well. Best part is they work with the TV's remote control, so you don't need a second remote. For the first time, ever, my wife will actually use one of the media center TVs.

I also have a couple of them running Volumio, so I can play music from one of our iPhones to speakers around the house.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I use one to run the music server for our patio/pool area.  Works surprisingly well for a ~$50 gadget.

ETA:  It's one of the older models from last year...not this new one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The newer one's are not more powerful, they have more USB ports, and can run from a micro SD card. Micro SD is actually slower.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/rsz_b--500x337.jpg

The Model B+ uses the same BCM2835 application processor as the Model B. It runs the same software, and still has 512MB RAM; but James and the team have made the following key improvements:

• More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins, while retaining the same pinout for the first 26 pins as the Model B.

• More USB. We now have 4 USB 2.0 ports, compared to 2 on the Model B, and better hotplug and overcurrent behaviour.

• Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.

• Lower power consumption. By replacing linear regulators with switching ones we’ve reduced power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W.

• Better audio. The audio circuit incorporates a dedicated low-noise power supply.

• Neater form factor. We’ve aligned the USB connectors with the board edge, moved composite video onto the 3.5mm jack, and added four squarely-placed mounting holes.

View Quote

View Quote

Gotta start looking at using this for my I/O solution for my home flight simulator I'm in the design phase of.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The newer one's are not more powerful, they have more USB ports, and can run from a micro SD card. Micro SD is actually slower.
View Quote

Running an OS of an SD card is going to be slow, no matter what. The new microSD shoot is going to be much better than the old one. Also, it has better power consumption and hotswap support along with a ton more GPIOs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got one of the older version for some work stuff.  Can't get the damn thing to talk on the network.  I guess that dhcp thing is too advanced for it.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just got one of the older version for some work stuff.  Can't get the damn thing to talk on the network.  I guess that dhcp thing is too advanced for it.  
View Quote

Are you using the built in networking and Debian?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I plugged it into a switch and powered it on.  The dhcp server is a cisco router.  dhcp is working fine for 6-8 other devices on the network.  Nothing in dhcp binding in the router or in arp table.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Solid upgrades, but I would have preferred some performance upgrades in memory and processor.  Other groups are dropping in multi core processors and more memory.

I'm glad to see this, though.  I'll buy one since it's still $35.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I plugged it into a switch and powered it on.  The dhcp server is a cisco router.  dhcp is working fine for 6-8 other devices on the network.  Nothing in dhcp binding in the router or in arp table.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you try different ports?  Those things go bad pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL work is ordering me one today!

having to make a emulator for the old AS400 green screens
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gotta start looking at using this for my I/O solution for my home flight simulator I'm in the design phase of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/rsz_b--500x337.jpg

What are you doing with it? You might not need a full Linux PC for it...

Check out the DigiStamp. I have a handful of them and love them. You get 6 IO pins on a device the size of a quarter.

link

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, port and cable.  Went through all that with a Beagleboard.  I will probably have to connect a monitor, keyboard, etc. to get networking straightened out.  I love the concept of these little boards but the execution has yet to impress me.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you try giving it a static address instead?   Is everything okay on the Ethernet layer?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you try giving it a static address instead?   Is everything okay on the Ethernet layer?
View Quote

Nope, that's what I'll have to do next.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread is dildos, it like trying to read Greek and using a Greek to German dictionary and then translate that mashup with a German to English dictionary while drunk.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup, port and cable.  Went through all that with a Beagleboard.  I will probably have to connect a monitor, keyboard, etc. to get networking straightened out.  I love the concept of these little boards but the execution has yet to impress me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, SSH is not enabled by default. You have to configure first.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#27]
saving this ... the SO would love that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ew.  Gross.    Been years since I saw an AS400.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This thread is dildos, it like trying to read Greek and using a Greek to German dictionary and then translate that mashup with a German to English dictionary while drunk.
View Quote

Why?  It makes perfect sense?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have been looking at those.  I want one.  
View Quote

I have one, too slow to use for much of anything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 2 of the Model B`s

1 as a media center and the other I use with a relayt pilot board.

They are fun to mess around.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been looking at those.  I want one.  

A minnowboard?  The dual core one should make a great linux box.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

+1

Mine is sitting in it's original box up on a shelf in my closet.  Too slow to do anything useful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Ever hear of Raspbmc?

I use mine to play the 200+ DVDs ripped onto my networked filestore, to stream live BBC and many other TV channels, to play my audio collection.
For $30-ish its absolutely fine as a media player.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A minnowboard?  The dual core one should make a great linux box.
View Quote

it's slow running linux. the hardware acceleration for display doesn't work well (or didn't when I bought it).

I bought it to support capturing three or four webcams at once. It can't handle one at once.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its bullet proof.. so we keep using it.. KBM on As/400
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
its bullet proof.. so we keep using it.. KBM on As/400
View Quote

It took a concerted effort many years long at Microsoft to move off all the AS/400s we had in house.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]
XCRMonger

jeebus...  wtf with the avatar  feelings, I haz them.  Fright.  Fear. Flight.  FAP?

facepalm.jpg
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't know what I want to do with one, but I want one anyway.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never actually READ white noise...

I was SO expecting a dessert thread...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Has anybody got Netflix running on the Pi yet?

I know it was being worked on last year.

Maybe Silverlight under WINE?

If it would run, it would probably be too slow.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I just can't think of anything interesting to do with one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the heads up! I've had a model B combo from Canakit in my shopping cart on amazon for the past week now, going to have to hold out until they hit there and I can scoop one up with Prime and not take the hit for shipping.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Bought one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an older B. Current goal is a smart thermostat/controller for the boiler, wood stove, fans, etc.

Nest can suck it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#45]
ok if your running a B and want to migrate to the B+ you will need to update teh firmware to get the old image to boot on the new RPi. Just a FYI. and 3 Hrs shot wondering why it wont boot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the reason I can't use one for a media server.  Have you contacted Netflix?  I email them fairly frequently about this, but we need to get all Linux guys hitting them hard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is the reason I can't use one for a media server.  Have you contacted Netflix?  I email them fairly frequently about this, but we need to get all Linux guys hitting them hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just going with an android TV dongle.  I already have one, and will probably just pick up another for the bedroom.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just run Android on the Pi and play netflix that way?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok I got to build this,,

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Android on the Pi is not that advanced yet.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top