Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
We now continue the thread here on page two.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The image of the ash fall from St. Helens reaching across Idaho and into Montana is a bit misleading. That may represent "primary" ash fall, but I personally experienced overcast skies in Missouri for about a week, once it got here.  And the family took a road trip along the Oregon Trail to Ft. Lewis and Tacoma in late Spring that year. My dad gathered samples of ash deposited along the highway from western Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah.  The particle size and color of ash was smaller and lighter the further away from the volcano, but it definitely reached beyond the outlines shown on that map.
View Quote

yup, I live north of St Helens and we didn't get any ash here the day of the eruption but about a week later we got a real fine dusting after it gone around around the world. I'm not sure what standard they used on that map but it must have been some "measurable amount"

Every year around here when the anniversary happens you get people going on and on about how much ash we got and how loud it was . LOL. People's imaginations are pretty comical. Eastern WA got hammered by the ash but people make it sound like we did here as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I went through the charts, and see that it is scheduled for tomorrow at about 1:35 AM.
View Quote

Well...... Fuck....
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I saw the melted road...Has that happened before?

How common are its catastrophic eruptions?
View Quote

the asphalt melts every summer around here, heaves up, or collapses depending on the kind of traffic.
I'm not impressed with the asphalt pic in itself , but if you look around the background there is no critters.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks like I'm safe so no fucks are given. Sorry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If that bitch blows there will be no place on earth that will be safe. The ash cloud will circle the globe blocking out the sunlight and ceasing food production for several years....and lowering the temperatures to below freezing. Think 'mass extinction' event.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If that bitch blows there will be no place on earth that will be safe. The ash cloud will circle the globe blocking out the sunlight and ceasing food production for several years....and lowering the temperatures to below freezing. Think 'mass extinction' event.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh but when it does go ,   its gonna be big...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/08/article-0-1DADDC5100000578-253_634x412.jpg

Pretty much this, 2-3 years number of survivors will be n the thousands if we are lucky
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
MOTHER FUCKING GOD DAMNIT

MAYBE YES MAYBE NO

IF IT DOES WE ALL DIE
IF IT DOESNT WE ALL DIE AT A LATER DATE

EITHER WAY WE CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

FUCK THESE THREADS
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/08/article-0-1DADDC5100000578-253_634x412.jpg

Yo, don't go total Debby Downer.  It is already Monday.  You gotta go on with the mass extinction, below freezing, crop failure, mass death kind of vibe?

You got to learn to relax, man.  Save the whole end times stuff for a Wednesday or something.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Live your life as if today was your last day on Earth for it may very well be. Everything else is just gravy and window dressing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went through the charts, and see that it is scheduled for tomorrow at about 1:35 AM.
View Quote

Wait!! We misread the data. It's really going to happen two days before the day after tomorrow!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#13]
No on really knows when it's going to blow.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pretty much this, 2-3 years number of survivors will be n the thousands if we are lucky
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I think there will be more than that, but people better work on their spear throwing skills cuz civilization, at least in most parts of the planet, will collapse.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#16]
.........I see Americans heading to Mexico for something like this....

...will their president be open to us?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.........I see Americans heading to Mexico for something like this....

...will their president be open to us?
View Quote

I, for one, welcome our new Mexican overlords.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Yellowstone wouldn't be the end of the human race, but it would certainly be the end of the world as we know it.  I'm thinking that worldwide at least 5-6 billion would die from starvation or the ensuing anarchy/chaos.  Poorer Countries that already don't have many resources might see >90% of their population die off.  The USA would basically be completely screwed.  After 2-4 years the ash would settle from the atmosphere and as the climate returns to normal it would be up to the scattered survivors to rebuild the world.  Yellowstone is actually pretty comparable to a nuclear holocaust in a sense.  The eruption would kill a lot of people right away, but the real danger is from climate disruption.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yellowstone wouldn't be the end of the human race, but it would certainly be the end of the world as we know it.  I'm thinking that worldwide at least 5-6 billion would die from starvation or the ensuing anarchy/chaos.  Poorer Countries that already don't have many resources might see >90% of their population die off.  The USA would basically be completely screwed.  After 2-4 years the ash would settle from the atmosphere and as the climate returns to normal it would be up to the scattered survivors to rebuild the world.  Yellowstone is actually pretty comparable to a nuclear holocaust in a sense.  The eruption would kill a lot of people right away, but the real danger is from climate disruption.
View Quote

That wold please the Agenda 21 people.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thought, but I always thought that there would be much more of a die off in countries where most of the population is counting on high tech, large scale agriculture, and food subsequently distributed to grocery store shelves in a continuous conveyor belt, like the US.

In poor countries where people are already much more familiar with how to grow a lot of what they need in their backyard and scrape by with more meager resources,   they stand more chance of being able to weather infrastructure breakdown as they're not counting on it as much.    Millionaires in the US would starve in their mansions while someone in an Adobe hole might be able to recover their gardens and grow enough to make it through.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm leaving in a few days for Yellowstone.   I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a case of beans, some leftover easter peeps and a swimming pool.

Light that candle.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It is erupting right now!!!

Run for the hills!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Interesting thought, but I always thought that there would be much more of a die off in countries where most of the population is counting on high tech, large scale agriculture, and food subsequently distributed to grocery store shelves in a continuous conveyor belt, like the US.

In poor countries where people are already much more familiar with how to grow a lot of what they need in their backyard and scrape by with more meager resources,   they stand more chance of being able to weather infrastructure breakdown as they're not counting on it as much.    Millionaires in the US would starve in their mansions while someone in an Adobe hole might be able to recover their gardens and grow enough to make it through.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to grow anything without sunlight and without temperatures above freezing.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I sure hope not. I'm supposed to go there in September!
View Quote

We will be there from August until early September. Watch for the BFL
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

MAYBE YES MAYBE NO

IF IT DOES WE ALL DIE

FUCK THESE THREADS
View Quote

Hey man, don't blow your top. There is no reason to erupt in anger over this thread.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hey man, don't blow your top. There is no reason to erupt in anger over this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MAYBE YES MAYBE NO

IF IT DOES WE ALL DIE

FUCK THESE THREADS

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
From what I've read about the formation of the magma pocket underneath Yellowstone, scientists believe that it is formed due to the tectonic plates that form the San Andreas fault, forcing the magma upwards underneath the earths crust.

I would assume that some very major earthquakes would have to take place, before it would start drastically increasing in pressure.
View Quote

Go back and read again, from reputable sources.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#31]
All this happened before. All this will happen again.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

600k-ish years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw the melted road...Has that happened before?

How common are its catastrophic eruptions?

600k-ish years?

Yeah and the last one was about 640k years ago.  They are saying it is overdue for an eruption.

http://www.rense.com/general31/overdue.htm

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fuck ya. I'm in NW Montana and we'll be ok....  if our faces don't melt off

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck ya. I'm in NW Montana and we'll be ok....  if our faces don't melt off

Me too, we're gonna make it! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nothing but normal seismic activity so far.  If anything it's fallen off a wee bit.
View Quote

Going by movies that I've seen, and experiences of my wife's temper, it's when they get quiet that you know something bad's about to happen.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks like our best deterrent to illegal immigration so far.  Is there any way we can slip it a couple goats or something to hit Memphis?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes. Any time now (in geologic time). That means some time in the next 100000 years or so.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where's the after eruption rally point?
View Quote

Uranus.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Traditionally, it's always been my sleeping bag.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Went there two weeks ago.

Now that I have seen it i really don't give two shits what it does.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Poor countries don't grow their own food, they get it from UNICEF.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Yellowstone was putting out swarms of those back in 08/09.   It's good to know that stuff, but I highly doubt that any crucial last minute data is going to make it out to the general public.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Hmmm...better chance of catching Hantavirus than starring in a your own version of "2012" with John Cusack and Woody Harrelson?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#44]
It was nice knowing you fellas.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As for the rest of the world, it would face a few years of mild climate change caused by the supereruption's ash cloud, which would wrap around the globe, casting Earth in shadow for several days and altering the chemical composition of the atmosphere for a decade or so. However, recent research shows the global impacts of supervolcanoes are less severe than scientists once thought, and a Yellowstone supereruption might be especially unimposing because its magma contains minimal sulfur. Sulfur gas produces particles called aerosols, which can cool the climate by blocking sunlight.

"The huge volume of magma means there would still be some sulfur injected into the atmosphere, but work has shown that you reach a sort of limit in the amount of aerosols you can produce with sulfur gas. It means that our earlier suggestions that there would be a severe temperature change is not right," Self said. [What If Earth's Magnetic Poles Flip?]

Based on the new models, the scientists now think the vast majority of Earth's species would weather a Yellowstone supereruption just fine (except, of course, for those knocked out due to proximity of the initial blast). They don't see any evidence in the geologic record of mass extinctions coinciding with supereruptions, and they don't predict extinctions to result from such geologic events in the future.

"The last time Yellowstone erupted, no extinctions took place," said Michael Rampino, a biologist and geologist at New York University. "Supereruptions are not extinction-level events," he said, but added that they can obviously cause problems for civilization.

Article
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

We dont want to know what you do in or with a sleeping bag.

The thought scares even me.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top