Site Notices
Page / 53
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I met a guy (.mil Doctor) this past weekend that is being deployed to West Africa within the next month. He was definitely not a happy camper.

I hardly knew what to say to him (without waxing negative) other than to thank him for his service and to wish him well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have we all died yet?
View Quote

we were dead the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

have we all died yet?

It's the plants creating ebola to rid the world of us...

They are quite angry...

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
FREETOWN, Sierra Leone — Acknowledging that the Ebola epidemic sweeping Sierra Leone was worsening, officials here put hundreds of thousands more citizens under quarantine on Thursday, sealing off more than a quarter of the country and warning travelers not to get out of their vehicles in the districts under isolation.

Nearly all of the country’s 14 districts are now under either total or partial quarantine, with over one million people affected, as the disease advances into new areas. Infection rates have been rising in the capital, Freetown, a dangerous development because of the city’s density.
View Quote

Snark bait.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
have we all died yet?
View Quote

We're just pining for the fjords.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Queue the its happening Ron Paul gif.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Two weeks later:

U.S. military to quickly ramp up Ebola mission in Liberia

By James Giahyue

MONROVIA (Reuters) - The United States plans to quickly increase its presence in Liberia, where military personnel are deploying to help the West African nation halt the advance of the worst Ebola epidemic on record, the general in charge of the mission said on Monday.

Washington is sending some 3,000 soldiers to the region to build treatment centers and train local medics. Around half will be based in Liberia, with the rest providing logistical support outside the country.

"This is about urgency and speed. So what you're going to see here pretty soon is forces flown here," Major General Darryl Williams told journalists in the capital, Monrovia.

"I have 175 soldiers and I have another 30 that are in other countries that are beginning to set up the logistics hub to fly forces in here," he said.
View Quote

Snark bait.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#14]
LOCAL MEDIA: SIERRA LEONE GOVERNMENT CANNOT ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN 1,000 EBOLA PATIENTS

Sierra Leone's largest newspaper, the Awareness Times, is reporting with alarm that at least 1,028 Ebola patients appear to be missing in the country, as official Ministry of Health statistics account for a smaller number of combined victims and survivors of the disease than the total number of registered cases.
View Quote

Information control link.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
...and it's now confirmed in the US

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102037055  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just came to post the same.
Hot link
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anyone want to put money on the odds he was in West Africa within the last few weeks...or in close contact with someone who was?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#21]
More people have died in the US of cellulitis this year than in Africa from Ebola.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to get all tinfoil-y, but this bugs the shit out of me.

Ebola is not a new car or the latest iPhone, why should there be a media embargo on this type of information?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
he was suspected based on travel. i don't think that is in doubt

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone want to put money on the odds he was in West Africa within the last few weeks...or in close contact with someone who was?

he was suspected based on travel. i don't think that is in doubt

time to quarantine everyone coming from west africa

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#25]
560,000 deaths in Africa from Malaria this year.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

But, EBOLA....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Ebola in Dallas. I wonder how many people he inflected before they contained him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/30/dallas-ebola-patient/16496665/
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ebola in Dallas. I wonder how many people he inflected before they contained him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/30/dallas-ebola-patient/16496665/
View Quote

Huh.  My kids were born in that hospital.

I figured he would have ended up at Parkland (the public/illegal alien ER).  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been assured that is impossible.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#33]
CNBC is doing it's part...headline front page...http://www.cnbc.com/

First confirmed case of Ebola confirmed in the United States: CDC

The United States has one confirmed case of Ebola, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday, marking the first domestic appearance of the deadly virus that has ravaged swaths of continental Africa.

The as-yet unidentified patient is located in Dallas, officials say, effectively confirming a statement issued on Monday by Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. The organization said that an unnamed patient was being tested for Ebola and had been placed in "strict isolation" due to the patient's symptoms and recent travel history.

Lower down on the page is a poll asking IF you'd modify your travel plans to Ebola being diagnosed in the United States.  66% say yes.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
CNBC is doing it's part...headline front page...

First confirmed case of Ebola confirmed in the United States: CDC

The United States has one confirmed case of Ebola, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday, marking the first domestic appearance of the deadly virus that has ravaged swaths of continental Africa.

The as-yet unidentified patient is located in Dallas, officials say, effectively confirming a statement issued on Monday by Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas. The organization said that an unnamed patient was being tested for Ebola and had been placed in "strict isolation" due to the patient's symptoms and recent travel history.

View Quote

I wonder if he's a Muslim.   Tell us more about this guy, Information Control.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But, EBOLA....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, EBOLA....

EBOLA!!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

honestly the only ones they know the whereabouts of are the ones IN the containment facility. i'd be surprised if they can even account for those
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOCAL MEDIA: SIERRA LEONE GOVERNMENT CANNOT ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN 1,000 EBOLA PATIENTS

Sierra Leone's largest newspaper, the Awareness Times, is reporting with alarm that at least 1,028 Ebola patients appear to be missing in the country, as official Ministry of Health statistics account for a smaller number of combined victims and survivors of the disease than the total number of registered cases.

honestly the only ones they know the whereabouts of are the ones IN the containment facility. i'd be surprised if they can even account for those

yet at the same time you contend the outbreak in Nigeria is over because the govt diesn't know of any more cases?

How can one be all accounting and the other not know anything?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
had they done that 3 months ago they would never have needed to do it now.
View Quote

oh yeah.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
yet at the same time you contend the outbreak in Nigeria is over because the govt diesn't know of any more cases?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because Nigeria immediately mobilized its public health sector, identified all the contacts, and isolated/monitored them until the transmission phase had passed.  They can certify they are Ebola-free.

Sierra Leone hasn't been able to do that since the epidemic began, which is why they are in a world of hurt right now.  They either couldn't or didn't bother to followup on infected contacts, and now their outbreak is out of control.

The lesson of this epidemic is don't let Ebola-infected people get away and make it to a crowded, filthy city, because if they do then all bets are off.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

oh yeah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
had they done that 3 months ago they would never have needed to do it now.

oh yeah.

Well, aside from the fact that they didn't.   And we wouldn't, either.  

So the conclusion that it would have stopped it is moly an opinion.

So now, what are we going to do?   Screen airline passengers?  Nope.

Right now it's all about information control.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
the UN is functionally useless and frankly really has no input or use on this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Leaving Ebola fighters behind to die:

The United Nations established the U.N. Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER), based in Accra, Ghana, to spearhead the efforts to manage the outbreak, which has to date claimed more than 3,000 lives across West Africa.

Almost every world leader noted the bravery of first responders to the Ebola crisis, calling them ‘heroes’. Despite all of the rhetoric seemingly laced with care and concern for the the victims, the fact remains that no African doctors or health workers have been evacuated as of yet to Western facilities for treatment.  No Western leaders announced specific frameworks to evacuate African doctors or other health personnel who contract Ebola, which, at this stage of the outbreak, is indefensible.

Very recently, Dr. Olivet Buck, a Sierra Leonean doctor, died after the World Health Organization denied a request that she be transported to Germany for treatment. In July, Dr. Sheik Humaar Khan, an eminent physician that headed up Sierra Leone’s Ebola response, died after negotiations for his evacuation. On Sunday, health officials reported that Liberia’s chief medical officer, Dr. Bernice T. Dahn, has been placed under a  quarantine after her assistant died from Ebola on Thursday. Sierra Leone officials have criticized the WHO for its sluggishness on decisions to evacuate their country’s infected doctors.

President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf said during the meeting on Thursday that the Ebola virus in Liberia had killed over 1,700, including "85 trained to save lives.” She added that the projected losses from the virus threatens to "reverse our gains in malaria control and child and maternal mortality.”

the UN is functionally useless and frankly really has no input or use on this.

Without the CDC/USAMRIID/US government backing them up the WHO is little more than a health news agency.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Probably none.  The only people Patrick Sawyer infected was the people he literally pissed on in a rage, even though he took a plane ride, walked through an airport and even received medical help from people who helped him out when he collapsed.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Probably none.  The only people Patrick Sawyer infected was the people he literally pissed on in a rage, even though he took a plane ride, walked through an airport and even received medical help from people who helped him out when he collapsed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should head to Dallas to help now since he may be more resistant to Ebola?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where have you been assured that it would be impossible in this thread?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He died.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He died.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He died.  

shit I meant the one that did survive with zmap drug.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit, I bet the ER waiting room was packed full of uninsured, undocumented kids with runny noses.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

BY WHO?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BY WHO?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Tulsa has a very large african population and african travelers due to the many religous schools and churches in the area. several other healthcare workers and Drs have been watching this closely.

with Air Travel so predominant now, its only a matter of time. the US avoided the 4 bullets so far and those families have alot to be thankful for.

ebola is not going to be a problem for air travel

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top