BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol... you still think that that is what this is about... oh geez.

Whatever floats your boat, dude.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So says the poster who didn't start a suit against the FBI for something that you don't even want to talk about, and doesn't even grasp how to gain the necessary standing to do so.

Good job.

You misinterpret my lack of sympathy for the lad and his fight as ignorance. I understand the argument, but my cavemanish working male genitalia forbids me for giving a fuck about a 'man' who couldn't pass the male standards for employment, even after those standards were fully explained to him.

You guys think the hiring standards for men and women should be equal. I get it, it's not brain surgery.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You guys think the hiring standards for men and women should be equal. I get it, it's not brain surgery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So says the poster who didn't start a suit against the FBI for something that you don't even want to talk about, and doesn't even grasp how to gain the necessary standing to do so.

Good job.

You misinterpret my lack of sympathy for the lad and his fight as ignorance. I understand the argument, but my cavemanish working male genitalia forbids me for giving a fuck about a 'man' who couldn't pass the male standards for employment, even after those standards were fully explained to him.

What'd you do about it? Probably about the same as I did: nothing. And yet here you are, trashing somebody that did...
"Most likely he thought he could cheat by doing half-assed pushups"
"I'm not going to cry and demand to be tested as a woman"
"suing to be scored on an equal basis to a woman"

Carry on, though, you're the epitome of a freedom-centric, equal opportunity, big-man-on-the-block guy here. 'Tis quite the pleasure watching your histrionics.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job.

Standards for the same job, with the same responsibilities, should be equal, true or false?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What'd you do about it? Probably about the same as I did: nothing. And yet here you are, trashing somebody that did...

Carry on, though, you're the epitome of a freedom-centric, equal opportunity, big-man-on-the-block guy here. 'Tis quite the pleasure watching your histrionics.
View Quote

I don't know, I can pass the PFT under the male standards.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Gad, man... have a drink or something. I'm happy for you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Standards for the same job, with the same responsibilities, should be equal, true or false?
View Quote

You guys are treating the PFT solely as a test of the ability of a candidate to perform the tasks of a Special Agent. If that were true it would probably be a test of words typed per minute or forms filled out before your hand cramps up. In my humble opinion it is more of a test of motivation, preparation, and the ability to follow instructions. It is also a way to judge how you stack up amongst your peers physically.

For better or worse, LE agencies need female agents/officers. You lower the PT standards to female levels and you get a bunch of men who are not in good physical condition compared to the rest of the male population. Raise the standards to male levels and you get very, very few females. Get rid of physical standards altogether and you get a bunch of fatbodies.

Like I said, it's an entry level employment test that is clearly spelled out to the applicants beforehand. It's not a strict measure of ability to do the job. I hope we'd all agree that LE jobs should have some sort of test to establish minimum physical fitness levels.

Save the equal testing standards for the real gun toting LE positions like SWAT and HRT.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
This ruling is a huge win for true equality and puts a big dent in the unfair system we use now where women are not held to the same standards for performance as men but are still given the same passing statuses for the lower performance.

This ruling has huge implications for the military which is under pressure to lower standards to allow them to stick women in positions that they don't belong in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet he is going to have a great career with the FBI.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You guys are treating the PFT solely as a test of the ability of a candidate to perform the tasks of a Special Agent. If that were true it would probably be a test of words typed per minute or forms filled out before your hand cramps up. In my humble opinion it is more of a test of motivation, preparation, and the ability to follow instructions. It is also a way to judge how you stack up amongst your peers physically.

For better or worse, LE agencies need female agents/officers. You lower the PT standards to female levels and you get a bunch of men who are not in good physical condition compared to the rest of the male population. Raise the standards to male levels and you get very, very few females. Get rid of physical standards altogether and you get a bunch of fatbodies.

Like I said, it's an entry level employment test that is clearly spelled out to the applicants beforehand. It's not a strict measure of ability to do the job. I hope we'd all agree that LE jobs should have some sort of test to establish minimum physical fitness levels.

Save the equal testing standards for the real gun toting LE positions like SWAT and HRT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make no sense. If 14 pushups is good enough then 14 push-ups it is. If Special Agent needs 30 then it is 30 and if you want more women then you are going to have to create a new position.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Which one of these five Justices do you think will look at the facts of this case and determine that government double standards are wrong?

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whatever, man.   I read that he failed to do the minimum number of pushups required to pass.  It was a requirement for graduation from the FBI Academy and he did not perform to the standard. The article does not say why he failed, but does it really matter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pseudo Agent bauer is a pussy. He should be ashamed to show up to his academy classes let alone a courtroom. I retired from the AF almost 3 years ago and I can still do 30 pushups after mostly sitting on my ass.

Retired AF guy is a non reader.  He should be ashamed to show up to kindergarten,  much less preschool. . .

Whatever, man.   I read that he failed to do the minimum number of pushups required to pass.  It was a requirement for graduation from the FBI Academy and he did not perform to the standard. The article does not say why he failed, but does it really matter?

I guess not Hillary.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The latter is what the military will be up against in the fields formerly barring women.
View Quote

"We live in an age fortunately where it's clear men and women can do the same jobs ... and people performing them should be held to the same physical standard," she said. "

sure looks like that's what there angling for, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, and I'm going to beat my chest and say that I'm a man and wanted to be tested as one. I'm not going to cry and demand to be tested as a woman because that's the 'fair' 21st century way.

I don't want that guy anywhere near a law enforcement gun toting job, and I'm ashamed that so many American men have become so pussified that they are supporting a guy the who is suing to be scored on an equal basis to a woman in a physical aptitude test.

Right or wrong, he's still a pussy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that guy.

As already mentioned, FBI protocol pushups requires strict form. If you aren't doing it right you'll hear a lot of this: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, and so on. And that's continual motion, take a break and you're done.

That being said, he would have had this all explained to him during the pre-employment process and been tested during at least one practice PFT in the field before being sent to Quantico. Once at QT, he would have had multiple chances and coaching to pass. I don't believe the story that a woman was allowed an extra retest and he wasn't. The FBI doesn't want to lose applicants in QT after all the investment to get them there, unless there's a good reason.

Most likely he thought he could cheat by doing half-assed pushups and couldn't follow the rules. Do you want an LEO that can't follow basic instructions and try to cheat? It's like a test where you get all the answers before hand and plenty of time to study. Think of it a more of a test to see how motivated you are instead of a physical aptitude test.

Not only that, but he was an FBI intel analyst, so he had a heads up over other non FBI applicants, and had no excuse for not knowing the rules.

I'm not getting into the men and women should have equal standards argument. Bottom line is if he could make the cut, he shouldn't be an LEO.

You sure you're in the right thread?

Yeah, and I'm going to beat my chest and say that I'm a man and wanted to be tested as one. I'm not going to cry and demand to be tested as a woman because that's the 'fair' 21st century way.

I don't want that guy anywhere near a law enforcement gun toting job, and I'm ashamed that so many American men have become so pussified that they are supporting a guy the who is suing to be scored on an equal basis to a woman in a physical aptitude test.

Right or wrong, he's still a pussy.

Holy shit. Some of you guys are dense.

Did it ever occur to you that mabye the guy can do 60 pushups to standard? But he choose to do 29 to set up a brilliant law suit and challenge the lowing of standards for female diversity in work place that should demand high standards?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did it ever occur to you that mabye the guy can do 60 pushups to standard? But he choose to do 29 to set up a brilliant law suit and challenge the lowing of standards for female diversity in work place that should demand high standards?
View Quote

You'd think he would be seen as the Rosa Parks for the GD crowd.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is GD, no matter what your stance you'll find someone who argues the other side. Anything from if fracking causes earthquakes to kittens being cute will provoke argument. If you suddenly agree with the trolls they'll just swap sides and keep going. Everytime I see this all I can think of is Bugs and Daffy doing "rabbit season, duck season".
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is GD, no matter what your stance you'll find someone who argues the other side. Anything from if fracking causes earthquakes to kittens being cute will provoke argument. If you suddenly agree with the trolls they'll just swap sides and keep going. Everytime I see this all I can think of is Bugs and Daffy doing "rabbit season, duck season".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure many (same, yes) are arguing the the other side, rather they can't seem to see big picture here and instead are wrapped around the axles of their own awesome push up abilities.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I have to say it's sad that he couldn't do 30 pushups, however I'm glad they made the ruling.

I've argued this time and time again with others. If I have to, as a man, run in 22min (example) but a female gets 30mins (example) where is the equality?

Just from personal experience, as I have tested for multiple agencies, I have seen women able to walk part of their run portion. Now while they say you can't "walk" or "stop" at any time, it don't take much to slow your ass down enough and make it look as though you're still running.

If we are to be equal then the womens standards, or the mens standards are good enough for everyone!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've read else where that there was more to the story. Guy had always passed fitness test with high scores, test day comes around and they say he only did 29. Then they're was supposed to be video footage, but they don't have video of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that. Guy had the opportunity of a lifetime and blew it. That's what this comes down to.

I've read else where that there was more to the story. Guy had always passed fitness test with high scores, test day comes around and they say he only did 29. Then they're was supposed to be video footage, but they don't have video of him.

Ahhhh...there it is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can't do 30 pushups.

View Quote

I have trouble just getting out of bed, I'd love to be 40 again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ahhhh...there it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that. Guy had the opportunity of a lifetime and blew it. That's what this comes down to.

Ahhhh...there it is.

I found this article:

http://www.chicagolawbulletin.com/Articles/2014/06/12/FBI-Gender-Discrimination-6-12.aspx

His fellow trainees chose Bauer as class leader and eventually as class spokesman to represent them at graduation, according to court documents.

Bauer took the physical fitness test seven times before or during his training, only doing more than 30 pushups on one occasion.

During his fitness test in the 22nd week of the program, Bauer completed all of the physical requirements except for one — he was able to do only 29 pushups

Sounds like he was a very high achieving and motivated recruit, but was definitely a weak body.

Makes me have a bit of disdain at him for being so weak, buuuut I can certainly appreciate the lawsuit and the outcome.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#21]
We should have it where if you video tape (and post on here) yourself doing at least 30 pushups, un-timed but with no pauses, and using correct form the entire time, you get a little man added underneath your avatar. Wonder how small the club would be here.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Holy fucking shit for a site full of know it all professors in every matter and subject within the universe there are some fucking dense myopic dolts posting in this thread. How many times was it pointed it what the reason for lawsuit was and what the ruling represents? Holy fucking shit.
View Quote

English motherf***er, do you speak it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Women are physically weak in general. Women are weak in particular in comparison to me.

If strength matters, and a woman fails the test, then she should thank her lucky stars that she didn't make it.

There are men that could fold them into a fedex bag and mail them home, and that is best case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Women are physically weak in general. Women are weak in particular in comparison to me.

If strength matters, and a woman fails the test, then she should thank her lucky stars that she didn't make it.

There are men that could fold them into a fedex bag and mail them home, and that is best case.
View Quote

I'm 6'9" and 325. There are men who could fold me into a large fedex bag and ship me truck freight home. Big deal.
It isn't a woman vs man thing. One set of rules for everyone is what the judge means.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We should have it where if you video tape (and post on here) yourself doing at least 30 pushups, un-timed but with no pauses, and using correct form the entire time, you get a little man added underneath your avatar. Wonder how small the club would be here.
View Quote

Small club. I would bet less than 1% of the membership
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#26]
also, I don't know if this was in the details, but the PFT is performed with each event at 5 min intervals of one another. Remember you have to get at least 1 point in each of the events and no less than 12 points total to pass.
The order is:

sit-ups (as many as you can do in 1 min)
-Men must get 38 to score 1 point, women 35

300 meter sprint
-Men 52.4 to 51.1 seconds for 1 point, women 64.9 to 62.5 seconds

push-ups (untimed, no pauses)
-Men 30 to 32 for 1 point, women 14-18

1.5 mile run
-Men 12:24-12:15 for 1 point, women 13:59-13:35

pull-ups

So it's not just showing up fresh and knocking out push-ups either. Go do a 300 meter sprint and see how easy it is with your muscles oxygen deprived.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#27]
VIDEO with the correct protocol for each exercise
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
VIDEO with the correct protocol for each exercise
View Quote

I was hoping you'd show up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#29]
This is outrageous, judge needs to be kicked in the face, FBI need to increase to 50 pushups... who the fuck can't do 30 pushups and seriously thinks they should be in the FBI
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Not quite as simple as it looks.

The protocol is judged very strictly and can be halted if you're not doing it exactly how your grader wants it. You're also expected to do it whether the weather is perfect or a monsoon.

Mind you, this is also right after maximum number of sit-ups in one minute, and a timed 300-meter sprint that most college level sprinters would struggle to get a perfect score in.

I'd love to see some of the blowhards in this thread try to get 30 perfect form pushups after doing those situps and 300m sprint.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The protocol is judged very strictly and can be halted if you're not doing it exactly how your grader wants it. You're also expected to do it whether the weather is perfect or a monsoon.

Mind you, this is also right after maximum number of sit-ups in one minute, and a timed 300-meter sprint that most college level sprinters would struggle to get a perfect score in.

I'd love to see some of the blowhards in this thread try to get 30 perfect form pushups after doing those situps and 300m sprint.
View Quote

I'd wager 60% of ARFCOM couldn't do just that before the cut-off time
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet it's closer to 90%. Unless sprints are a regular part of your workout regimen, and you're pretty good at it, most people wouldn't be able to pass it fresh, let alone after 1 min. of max situps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#33]
To add a little light to this discussion you first have to pass the test at your field office under usually less strict graders before they will send you to the FBI training academy.  At the Academy the give you three chances to pass once at the beginning of training, once in the  middle and once near the end.  There is also a remedial PT program there for those who didnt show up in shape.   All in all he took the test 7 times and failed 6 of them....

"Bauer took the physical fitness test seven times before or during his training, only doing more than 30 pushups on one occasion."

http://www.chicagolawbulletin.com/Archives/2014/06/12/FBI-Gender-Discrimination-6-12.aspx

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To add a little light to this discussion you first have to pass the test at your field office under usually less strict graders before they will send you to the FBI training academy.  At the Academy the give you three chances to pass once at the beginning of training, once in the  middle and once near the end.  There is also a remedial PT program there for those who didnt show up in shape.   All in all he took the test 7 times and failed 6 of them....

"Bauer took the physical fitness test seven times before or during his training, only doing more than 30 pushups on one occasion."

http://www.chicagolawbulletin.com/Archives/2014/06/12/FBI-Gender-Discrimination-6-12.aspx

View Quote

that's pretty bad.

They don't want to fail you, they have invested a lot in getting you that far, but at some point they can't accept you. He found that point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like he knew what he was doing.  If 14 pushups is enough, then it's enough.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

that's pretty bad.

They don't want to fail you, they have invested a lot in getting you that far, but at some point they can't accept you. He found that point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's pretty bad.

And yet, 14 was more than good enough for certain other candidates.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#37]
It needs to be one standard for EVERYONE regardless of sex.  If you don't have what it takes, you don't have what it takes.  All of our local agencies up here have 1 standard.  you will find most males will max score the test or come close.  Most females end up on the lower end but they make up for it on the written and oral boards.  It evens out the scores across the board.

I agree with the judges ruling.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Pathetic if a man can't do 30 pushups.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It needs to be one standard for EVERYONE regardless of sex.  If you don't have what it takes, you don't have what it takes.  All of our local agencies up here have 1 standard.  you will find most males will max score the test or come close.  Most females end up on the lower end but they make up for it on the written and oral boards.  It evens out the scores across the board.

View Quote

There's a federal agency that does this same test, except it's the same for everyone, male or female.

There have been two females in the history of the agency that anyone can remember.

That's why there's two standards.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pathetic if a man can't do 30 pushups.
View Quote

Pretty sad they're giving jobs to unqualified personnel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's pretty bad.

Oh I agree, as evidenced with what I have written earlier in this thread.
if you can meet the same standard, I don't care who you are. Firefighters make some of the best examples; everyone would say that if a woman climbs the stairs in a fire and then has to get a man to carry someone out because they exceed her max... different standards are ridiculous. How is the basis for these standards different (based on the job function claim)?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Any mention on why the feds are exempt from being an equal opportunity employer and their practicing of age discrimination for hiring?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any mention on why the feds are exempt from being an equal opportunity employer and their practicing of age discrimination for hiring?
View Quote

Their hiring practices seems to be racist and sexist to a degree, but not in the way they are trying to combat

Certain instances can legally permit discrimination of protected classes, but accomodations must be met within the company.

Victoria's Secret and Hooters are two easy examples for discriminating based on sex, their accomodations are that men can work in the back in inventory or as chefs, etc
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I've read why before, but I can't remember the specific reason. I think it's listed on the website as something to the effect of "we aim for diversity but aren't legally obligated to meet certain quotas."

I would imagine it's the same reason that .mil units don't have women in combat arms--jobs that have a physical/mental standard and selection process are (and should be) color and gender blind.

The Bureau has bent that a little bit with gender, but if that guy's lawsuit sticks, that actually may go away.

I've heard rumors of them bringing back yearly PFTs which will be very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#45]
It's like GM!  Hey we got a fuckton of shitty parts here that fail 30% of the time. Well at GM we are into fairness. So let's drop the testing down to use up the shit parts up. Hey it's fucking fairness bitches.

<later>

Hey let's go on a family drive in our new GM product!  

<later>

OMG the fucking steering wheel fell off and I can't stop!  Oh thank god GM is fair. I'll die for fairness!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He couldn't do 30 pushups?

View Quote

I did 82 in 2 minutes last week.  

That said, pull ups are a much better indicator of upper body strength.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He couldn't do 30 pushups?

Seriously, video that and post it here. GD said they could do 100 with their perfect 10 girlfriend riding their back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There's a federal agency that does this same test, except it's the same for everyone, male or female.

There have been two females in the history of the agency that anyone can remember.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CIA SAD?

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#49]
[
Quoted:
I got burned on a FF exam. Scored top 10.
I knew I had no shot in hell with 12 woman, 4 of them African-Amrtican, out of 70 or so candidates.

What got me was if I'm in my 3rd floor walk up on fire and one of these woman showed up at the top of the ladder was gonna get saved ?

Now let's talk BMI... That will get your ass hairs on end.

Good suit, standards should be just that

All the screaming about equal pay for equal work from ObamaLand fuck that with your exceptions

No such thing as equality it's that simple
View Quote

This is the reason the Firefighters UNION came up with a standardized test that would provide a national standard that is completely job related and stands up to legal scrutiny.

Note that NO push-ups are done.

CPAT Test

Video
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've heard rumors of them bringing back yearly PFTs which will be very interesting.
View Quote

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top