Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2014 1:26:03 AM EDT
I like to hike.

Here in NH we have a little list of 48 4000ft'ers (mountains), of which I killed a few summers ago. To get ready for future fun, I started hiking with plates and a 40lb ruck last summer. During one of the hikes my friend took a picture of me replicating the wolverines rifle raise, but it got botched. I've gotten bored with hiking to the point where I kinda kept doing the same loops over and over again, so I decided to make a new list of my own. Get a wolverines shot on every 4k ft'er with a view. So far I have 3. Pictures either taken by myself, a friend, or complete stranger. Also makes for some good PT to recover from this.

1) Mount Adams (King Ravine)

2) Zealand (Zeacliff)

3) Mount Washington (Tuckerman Ravine)

I'll be adding more as they come...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure and drink the blood of a deer while you are up there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice pics! Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]

You think you're tough? !? Living up there on olives and rice krispies?!?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tag
View Quote

Good stuff. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The thread title made me think it was fo time.
I'll be playing Battlefield4 if you need me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
From the summit of Mount Clay... climbed from the base of the Cog to Lake of Clouds, then to Mount Jefferson, and back yesterday. Ended up hitting the summit of Mount Washington on the way through. Left leg came un bloused on the climb to the summit, and I didn't notice until after these pics were taken. Oh well, whatever.

4) From Mount Clay, Mount Adams in the background.

5) From Mount Clay, Mount Washington in the background.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
In for inevitable photoshops. I'm on my laptop or I'd be putting up a lunar surface pic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Hah, that's a pretty cool idea
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a SERPA???  

LOL JK

Nice pics.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is that a SERPA???  

LOL JK

Nice pics.
View Quote

Yea, getting a new holster soon. SERPA took some serious damage during this.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hah, that's a pretty cool idea
View Quote

Works too. Gets my ass out there a few times a week. I just wish my climbing partner wasn't an asshole trail runner. I feel like a fat piece of shit whenever I go out with him. Whenever we do timed mile splits I am roughly 10-15 minutes behind him uphill and close to 20 minutes behind him downhill. Not fair.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Badass...I love mountains.

Although here where the movie was set my backyard is higher elevation and we have 14,000 foot peaks.  

But any mountains are awesome in my books.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Wrong gun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#17]
4,000 ft peaks. That's cute!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Although here where the movie was set my backyard is higher elevation and we have 14,000 foot peaks.  

View Quote

I wish we had peaks that high. It is kind of a pain in the ass just to get a work out with a mile of vertical around here. Prominence and terrain steepness killer around here. Most of the climbs start at between 1000ft and 2000ft and finish well over a mile above sea level. I've been told by a lot of people who used to live in the rockies and now live here that the trail terrain is a lot more forgiving out there than it is here.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wish we had peaks that high. It is kind of a pain in the ass just to get a work out with a mile of vertical around here. Prominence and terrain steepness killer around here. Most of the climbs start at between 1000ft and 2000ft and finish well over a mile above sea level. I've been told by a lot of people who used to live in the rockies and now live here that the trail terrain is a lot more forgiving out there than it is here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vertical differential, steepness, and the technical aspect of terrain are highly variable here.  There are hikes/rides that are steep and long or less steep and not as long.
As far as forgiving goes there's stuff I do in sandals, there's class 3 stuff where you're clamoring using hands, and there's technical climbing.
You can find steep places, long hikes/climbs, and technical terrain here I assure you.
But elevation implies thinner air.  You've got thinner air when you go play in the hills at 10, 12, 14 thousand feet.  And that can make a difference.
All said, I think the notion that hiking and climbing in Colorado is more forgiving than somewhere out east with 4,000' peaks is absurd.  I think it depends on what hikes/climbs you decided to pick. If you want hard/demanding I suspect they're almost certainly here (or somewhere with high elevation in any case).  Are there demanding hikes out there?  Not a doubt in my mind.  Could you pick a hiking route here that is easier than some route there?  I'm sure.  But the idea that it's just easier hiking at altitude and that steep, technical terrain isn't as challenging out here just doesn't make any sense.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wrong best gun.
View Quote

FTFY
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

FTFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong best gun.

FTFY

^This.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Those are mountains?  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those are mountains?  
View Quote

mhmmm.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Updating with another Zeacliff pic. Going up with my uncle in a few hours.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Vertical differential, steepness, and the technical aspect of terrain are highly variable here.  There are hikes/rides that are steep and long or less steep and not as long.

As far as forgiving goes there's stuff I do in sandals, there's class 3 stuff where you're clamoring using hands, and there's technical climbing.

You can find steep places, long hikes/climbs, and technical terrain here I assure you.

But elevation implies thinner air.  You've got thinner air when you go play in the hills at 10, 12, 14 thousand feet.  And that can make a difference.

All said, I think the notion that hiking and climbing in Colorado is more forgiving than somewhere out east with 4,000' peaks is absurd.  I think it depends on what hikes/climbs you decided to pick. If you want hard/demanding I suspect they're almost certainly here (or somewhere with high elevation in any case).  Are there demanding hikes out there?  Not a doubt in my mind.  Could you pick a hiking route here that is easier than some route there?  I'm sure.  But the idea that it's just easier hiking at altitude and that steep, technical terrain isn't as challenging out here just doesn't make any sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That opinion is common around the North East. I think it comes from people that under estimate the conditions they will encounter and die, and then people read the news article about it. They are only 4000 feet, but the last 1000 - 15000 feet are above tree line and offers no shelter from summer storms and in winter require technical ice climbing to get to the peaks. High winds, and white out conditions are common as are temps below -30 F in the winter. All normal for winter mountains, except people tend to underestimate the conditions because they are only 4,000 feet and venture into them unprepared and without the proper gear especially on day hikes. As a result, it isn't because the conditions are less forgiving, it is because people venture into them without the proper gear or experience required, which probably seldom happens in winter in CO.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I wish I could take my rifle with me on hikes
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Make sure and drink the blood of a deer while you are up there.
View Quote

Eat the heart of a deer would be better
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I like
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#29]
There's a man not afraid to serpa
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
All that hates gonna burn you up kid...
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All that hates gonna burn you up kid...
View Quote

Keeps him warm at night
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only got a few shots. No wolverines pics though. Just this one with my dag that my uncle took (and of course I look like jackass).

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Only got a few shots. No wolverines pics though. Just this one with my dag that my uncle took (and of course I look like jackass).

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10426744_10152345276224425_8569121945949784366_n.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10426744_10152345276224425_8569121945949784366_n.jpg

"Jackass"? No. You look like a guy having a great time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Time to break out the 50 cal...
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice pics, I've done the above in winter and summer... I open carry my pistol and definitely get looks from some people (MA Liberals), I can't imagine what some of them think when they see your loadout, haha. Me and some friends are doing Caps Ridge next month.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#37]
How cool is that??!!  Congrats
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 4:57:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nice pics, I've done the above in winter and summer... I open carry my pistol and definitely get looks from some people (MA Liberals), I can't imagine what some of them think when they see your loadout, haha. Me and some friends are doing Caps Ridge next month.
View Quote

I did Caps Ridge on a mini presi-loop with my friend two weeks ago. We hit Monroe, Washington, Clay, then Jefferson. We parked at the Cog. My friend was trail running and kicking my ass the entire time (I was climbing with armor, rifle, battle load, and ruck, roughly 80lbs in total). About a mile from the Caps Ridge parking lot I gave him the keys to get the car. I forgot to tell him which way to run out of the parking lot. I didn't think that it mattered at all, since he had been in the area before and he looked at the topos with me several times throughout the day. Anyway, he took a right out of the parking lot instead of a left and ran 4 miles the wrong way... as I sat in the lot waiting for him to come back with the car. Thankfully a car was driving down the road and gave him a ride back. Shitty non-the-less after a long day of rucking.

I didn't plan on hitting the summit of Washington that day, esp since I was up there two days earlier, but my friend was an asshole and ran a head and forced me to meet him at the summit. Being up there in full gear at 2pm on the first week of summer is... interesting. I tried to stay away from the crowds and sat on the upper deck in the corner... and I still had hoards of people surrounding me. At one point I had 30 people around me asking questions and playing around with my shit. Not a single negative response. Most of the people thought it was cool shit and gave props, including the park ranger.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:02:56 AM EDT
[#39]
The thread title made me think it was fo time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Oh, dis gonna get good. Tag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#41]
SauerPatchKid=  Nice work, kid

Masterbagger=  Nice work, kid
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks awesome. Great country. I'd love to be able to hike in scenery like that with my dag.

Nice pics, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Find the 4473's!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#47]
<click> in my Subscribe list for updates... I'm going up Monadnock in a couple hours, not a 4K ft'r, I know,  but once a week it helps me stay in shape.

Great thread BTW!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice pictures. Brave of you to post them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
<click> in my Subscribe list for updates... I'm going up Monadnock in a couple hours, not a 4K ft'r, I know,  but once a week it helps me stay in shape.

Great thread BTW!
View Quote

Still haven't done Monadnock... or Kearsarge... or Chocorua... or Major. My friends call me a White supremacist (as in the White Mountains).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top