Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 109
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit pisses me off 2 1/2 years for my brother and 2 years for me risking everthing, for what to pull out and let Iraq get taken over by our #1 enemy.

I will say I miss Iraq? life is boring and if I get a chance to get back I would go... crazy ha
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ConflictReporter ?@MiddleEast_BRK  16m

#BREAKINGNEWS THE IRAQI ARMY WITHDRAWS FROM #BAIJI WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!
LOCAL TRIBES TRY TO ORGANIZE DEFENSE VS. EXPECTED ISIS ATTACK TONIGHT.

View Quote

Fuck that place.  The locals there are all on the muj side.   If ISIS takes the oil refinery, shit will get interesting.  I am not surprised at all that the Iraqi army is falling apart.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Clearly Iraq has a shortage of good men willing to do something.   The kurds can and should seize mosul and declare independence.  The saudis and iranians can fight over what's left.  Fuck em.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
fucking awesome... this shit just pisses me the fuck off. Mosul was our AO for one of my deployments. We lost 11 people getting that place under control for fucking nothing I guess.
View Quote

When?  I flew Kiowas in that city for a year.  We took a few hits ourselves.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw a vicious vid of ISIS killing what appear to be  Iraq soldiers posted last week
I read they  took Fallujah

just wondering how no one saw the attack coming?  no one was prepared?
where did these guys come from???
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You understand that if ISIS takes this and holds it, you provide AQ with a new base to set up operations that will eventually end up striking us or Europe, right?  You think these guys are looking for retirement property?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We occupy..PERMANENTLY, and start the process of transforming their culture. It takes decades but it eventually works and we don't end up going back to the same shit holes again and again.

Or..or...now hear me out on this....we not spend a few trillion dollars we don't have and don't go to the shit holes to begin with.

You understand that if ISIS takes this and holds it, you provide AQ with a new base to set up operations that will eventually end up striking us or Europe, right?  You think these guys are looking for retirement property?

Which is why I said we don't go to begin with. It saves trillions and thousands of American lives. And I have to believe that if ISIS tries to take Mosul from Saddam we get hilarious videos of Uday hooking up jumper cables to their genitals. Regardless of what our all-knowing CIA liked to claim he wasn't that fond of Islamists running around in his homeland. For some reason he felt they threatened his power.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Clearly Iraq has a shortage of good men willing to do something.   The kurds can and should seize mosul and declare independence.  The saudis and iranians can fight over what's left.  Fuck em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Maybe the partition will happen after all, the hard way.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Another nation building failure.  Once you count running cost, and long-term entitlement costs this little pointless venture cost us a trillion or so dollars we don't have, and accomplished nothing.  The outcome was predictable.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there anybody who still thinks the War in Iraq was necessary?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was always about the message and that is there are repercussions. Assad is the same.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It was always about the message and that is there are repercussions. Assad is the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If we would have continued rolling in '91 and occupied it through today, the result could be better than what we are seeing, and the situation in the middle east would be different (not saying better, but different).  
If nothing else, the fight would be on their soil and likely 9-11-01 wouldn't be a significant date.  
However, America had Vietnam too fresh in their minds for something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we would have continued rolling in '91 and occupied it through today, the result could be better than what we are seeing, and the situation in the middle east would be different (not saying better, but different).  
If nothing else, the fight would be on their soil and likely 9-11-01 wouldn't be a significant date.  

lol

Your solution is a 23 year military occupation of a foreign country?  Now that's brilliant.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm quite happy we blew their military to hell and hung their fat stinking dictator.  I just wonder if all the care spent in trying to get them to stop killing each other afterward wasn't somewhat misplaced.  Certainly so if the end result was for a petulant manchild president to give the fuck up entirely and let it fall into chaos anyway.

Oh well. Live and learn I guess, or not, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Unleash the Kurds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's an idea!  Let them sort out their own problems without our intervention!  I may not like Obama, but if China and Russia teamed up and occupied the United States to "help", I'm sure we'd become a little radical.   If they killed thousands of Americans and called it collateral damage I bet we'd get even more radical.  I doubt we'd trust, or like, the government they formed.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Are the Kurds militarily capable of taking these cities? What does their military forces even look like?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Guess we know how all the Vietnam vets felt when they saw Saigon fall in 1975
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Lost a great friend trying to save that place...RIP CPL. HEIGHTER

Not sure how I feel about this
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

We should have learned our lesson there.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did anyone really expect a different outcome?

View Quote

It's EXACTLY what I expected.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It was predicted to fall apart before Obama got out of office.  Many here thought it would hold together until 2016.  

What a fucking waste.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are the Kurds militarily capable of taking these cities? What does their military forces even look like?
View Quote

The Kurds have no desire to take and keep anything that is majority Sunni Arab but they will defend the large Kurdish population in/near Mosul. Their forces tend to make up what they lack in equipment with competence but the Salafists got an incredible haul of hardware already and will no doubt swell their ranks through bandwagon jumpers,conscription through intimidation and otherwise unhappy Sunnis.

Mosul is a big city,to give a sense of possible difficulty it's roughly 5 times larger than Fallujah.

I think at some point soon the US will have to start flying strike missions against ISIS to have ANY hope of defeating them. The Iraqis don't have the numerical/technical/professional ability.If it doesn't,Iraq is getting split in 3: the caliphate,Kurdistan and West Persia.I expect Obama to dither until black banners converge on the Green Zone to be blunt though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fuck that place.  The locals there are all on the muj side.   If ISIS takes the oil refinery, shit will get interesting.  I am not surprised at all that the Iraqi army is falling apart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ConflictReporter ?@MiddleEast_BRK  16m

#BREAKINGNEWS THE IRAQI ARMY WITHDRAWS FROM #BAIJI WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!
LOCAL TRIBES TRY TO ORGANIZE DEFENSE VS. EXPECTED ISIS ATTACK TONIGHT.

I always wanted to know what that place would look like if there was an explosion at the hydrocracker.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me help you. He died for nothing. Fail on a global geostrategic scale.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bullshit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Bullshit not.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm kinda bummed that I couldn't figure out how to absolutely roast you for that first comment without getting a time out. I must be slipping.

But let me break it down for you Crayola style, as I would for a kindergartener.

He didn't die for nothing. Soldiers typically don't do that. If he died in a shitty place,  far from home, he did it for a reason. Soldiers aren't political animals. He likely didn't give a shit about the politics of the situation, but perhaps he died because if he didn't, his brother would have. I was deployed to Mosul from 05-06. I lost several friends there,  and I wouldn't dare tell any one of them that they died for nothing.

You can go shit in your hat, though. I'm pretty sure that won't get me banned.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soldiers usually die protecting their mates that's a bit harsh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://en.itar-tass.com/world/735564

Militants from the Sunni group Islamic State of Iraq and Levant linked to al-Qaeda took control of Mosul in northern Iraq, Al Arabiya TV channel reported.

Iraqi police and army forces abandoned their posts in the city of Mosul, which shocked the locals, the governor said.

Who's ready to go back?
View Quote

I think sending in B52's and Carpet Bombing the City with Napalm and White Phosphorus would be more efficient than sending in Ground Troops
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The way it's looking in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Yemen, Nigeria, Afganistan (when we leave) (and who did I miss?) its beginning to look like them having a "sanctuary" is inevitable. Those bastards are spreading their hate quite well. Eventually it's going to come to Europe and the good ole USofA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We occupy..PERMANENTLY, and start the process of transforming their culture. It takes decades but it eventually works and we don't end up going back to the same shit holes again and again.

Or..or...now hear me out on this....we not spend a few trillion dollars we don't have and don't go to the shit holes to begin with.

The way it's looking in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Yemen, Nigeria, Afganistan (when we leave) (and who did I miss?) its beginning to look like them having a "sanctuary" is inevitable. Those bastards are spreading their hate quite well. Eventually it's going to come to Europe and the good ole USofA.

It is just Islam being Islam. Containment and quarantine is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I thought we were throwing around absurd ideas that might have made it something other than a tragic waste.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Your solution is a 23 year military occupation of a foreign country?  Now that's brilliant.  

I thought we were throwing around absurd ideas that might have made it something other than a tragic waste.

A quarter century military occupation would have made it an even bigger tragic waste.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can we have the Cold War back?
View Quote

Where have you been?  It's back.

Yet another foreign policy coup of this administration.

Bush left office with Russia contained, AQ on the run.

Obama has brought us the first invasion of a European country since Helsinki, and the formation of a new Terrorist state that with resources and infrastructure that the Taliban's Afghanistan could never dream of.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In spades.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Oops, a thousand pardons for the double tap.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#37]
The Islamic portion of the world is the way it is because a significant portion of its population want it to be like it is.

We see it and judge it to be a bad place to live, but it is like they, who live there, want it to be and cause it to be.

Significant portion is the key, not all want to live in a shit hole, but enough do desire that life to cause that part of the world to be shit-holy.  

Perhaps we should not be so judgmental about their chosen lifestyle.  

On the other hand, perhaps all this bad stuff is not really happening, Obama did get a Nobel Peace Prize for preventing it from happening.  He hasn't given the prize and money back, has he?  There, see, surely Iraq must be all milk and honey and unicorns pissing rainbows.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
fucking awesome... this shit just pisses me the fuck off. Mosul was our AO for one of my deployments. We lost 11 people getting that place under control for fucking nothing I guess.
View Quote

The war was basically over - and lost - when the Dems took congress in 2006.    That's all our enemies really needed to accomplish, and the domestic left was more than willing to play along with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Does  Saddam Hussein have any relatives that are still alive that we can put in power over there .i have a gut feeling will be heading back there.
View Quote

I bet that many of the former Republican Guard and Murkanbarat members are in ISIS's ranks now, especially the Sunni ones.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Gulf Arabs WILL NOT allow the Iranian armed forces to enter Iraq.
View Quote

The Gulf Arabs also don't want ISIS to get too big either.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I never said we went all Ghengis Kahn on our former enemies, I said we occupied them and forced them to comply. It worked, it would work in the middle east as well.

I would, however, be in favor of a more hostile approach than we have used in the past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did we not occupy Germany, Italy, and Japan after WWII? And did we not maintain control of those countries and ensure that they did not fall back into chaos?

Yes.  But not in the manner you seem to suggest.  

I'd be the first to agree we should have formally occupied Iraq.  That was an asinine political decision not to.

But your characterization of past US occupations is laughable.

I never said we went all Ghengis Kahn on our former enemies, I said we occupied them and forced them to comply. It worked, it would work in the middle east as well.

I would, however, be in favor of a more hostile approach than we have used in the past.

What you said:

We need to get back in the business of CONQUERING people and taking their shit. This nation building bullshit is a waste of time, lives, and resources.

Sounds more like Soviet Propaganda than history. All of our historical occupations have been massive nation building endeavors, we never took or stole anything, and - with the exception arguably of the American South - we quickly passed the keys on to local authorities who were happy to keep working with us on their terms while supporting our overall values.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Obama has brought us the first invasion of a European country since Helsinki, and the formation of a new Terrorist state that with resources and infrastructure that the Taliban's Afghanistan could never dream of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's just ignore that whole thing about the Russians expelling ethnic Georgians from South Osettia.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:43:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Let's just ignore that whole thing about the Russians expelling ethnic Georgians from South Osettia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who ignored it?  Obama came on board, accused Bush of being a big meanie to the Russians and the cause of all disagreement, and declared a "reset" in relations - effectively anouncing the US had forgetten about the invasion.  

Or, are you just arguing Georgia is in Europe?

If the latter, I'd still say that even in 2008 the Russians weren't bold enough to engineer a full annexation - they limited themselves to charades about independent states.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Who ignored it?  Obama came on board, accused Bush of being a big meanie to the Russians and the cause of all disagreement, and declared a "reset" in relations - effectively anouncing the US had forgetten about the invasion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still Bush's Fault.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia invaded in August of 2008. Bush was still president for 5 months after the invasion. He didn't do anything to get involved militarily (which was the correct decision on his part)

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe the partition will happen after all, the hard way.
View Quote

Partition is the last thing the Kurds want.

They want the fiction of Iraqi sovereignty to protect themselves from without, and the fiction of Iraqi governance to run things themselves.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What lesson is that?

It was our actions that directly caused both issues? It was our shortsighted foreign policy that drove both disasters? That the foreign policy was Democratic?

Shit, that the same "Smart Guy" had all of the good ideas?

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another brilliant post.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Russia invaded in August of 2008. Bush was still president for 5 months. He didn't do anything about it (which was the correct decision on his part)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia invaded in August of 2008. Bush was still president for 5 months. He didn't do anything about it (which was the correct decision on his part)

I really and honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make.

But, your characterization is sop patenlty false as to be painful to read.  The whole "reset" thing betrays the reality - Georgia led to a major shift in Policy toward Russia, and Russia was feeling it.

Do you think it's just coincidence that the NATO-Russia council, suspended after that invasion, was re-launched af the first NATO Ministerial after Obama's adminstration came on board?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:56:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What lesson is that?

It was our actions that directly caused both issues? It was our shortsighted foreign policy that drove both disasters? That the foreign policy was Democratic?

http://angrywhitedude.com/wp-content/uploads2/2012/12/John-Kerry-Vietnam-War.jpeg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What lesson is that?

http://angrywhitedude.com/wp-content/uploads2/2012/12/John-Kerry-Vietnam-War.jpeg

Page / 109
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top