Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
Does this ever work?

My wife (sorry, no pics) and I have reached a stopping point in our relationship. Going to the councilor next week, but we've spent all weekend talking about the problems and their origin. We've discussed the big D and right now she's on board with a no contest, no lawyer divorce. Very emotional time and very disappointing for both of us.

Long story short:
Dated two years (8 months away out of state for work)
One miscarriage from accidental pregnancy early in the relationship
Engagement of 1 year
Married 1.5 years
No prenup
No children
No real-estate
Wife put on 60 lbs, sex once every 1-2 months on average
I make about 4x what she does; joint checking combined finances
I moved her 1000 miles from home, but she likes this town

She has a checkered past of various emotional issues that I've tried to help her overcome (dad abandoned them, mom dead, rape, etc.), but a HUGE heart and good with children. I married her to bare mine, but at this point, I'm done and it's time to eject.

Damned Arfcom curse.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no such thing as an amicable divorce.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It worked with me and my ex. We did all the paperwork - the state (Idaho) has mandated formulas for child support, etc, so we just agreed to those.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I know a few people who had a clean and relatively painless split, and wish you the best of luck with yours.  However, Get a lawyer now! document everything and cover your ass! If things go good then everyone walks away better off.  If things turn for the worst, you want to be covered.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Get a lawyer.

there are things that you will never think about that will come back and bite you in the ass later, like her claiming your SS in 40 years, even if you remarry.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of people start out saying that and rarely does it end that way.

Lawyer up, otherwise you may end up regretting that decision.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a lawyer.

there are things that you will never think about that will come back and bite you in the ass later, like her claiming your SS in 40 years, even if you remarry.

View Quote

This and she doen't need to know you have one
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Worked for me but be prepared to bite your tounge sometimes. Especially when you are pissed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
so OP, i was out on the lake today. my boat drifted softly on the calm waves and i had with me some basic equipment.  it was a very clear sky. blue, too. as was the water. i was at peace with myself as i cast that rod out into the depths of the lake. a great serenity overcame me. suddenly a lochness monster ripped my fucking boat into the ocean (yes the lake transformed into an ocean) and devoured me.

you know what my story and your post have in common?

they both contain fictional things

yours is an amicable divorce and mine is the lochness monster. get a lawyer is my advice.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does this ever work?

My wife (sorry, no pics) and I have reached a stopping point in our relationship. Going to the councilor next week, but we've spent all weekend talking about the problems and their origin. We've discussed the big D and right now she's on board with a no contest, no lawyer divorce. Very emotional time and very disappointing for both of us.

Long story short:
Engagement of 1 year
Married 1.5 years
No prenup
No children
No real-estate

She has a checkered past of various emotional issues that I've tried to help her overcome (dad abandoned them, mom dead, rape, etc.), but a HUGE heart and good with children. I married her to bare mine, but at this point, I'm done and it's time to eject.

Damned Arfcom curse.
View Quote

60lbs? Yikes.

Eject.  

Even if it's expensive,  it's worth getting out before another pregnancy. The kind of counseling she needs doesn't include you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
so OP, i was out on the lake today. my boat drifted softly on the calm waves and i had with me some basic equipment.  it was a very clear sky. blue, too. as was the water. i was at peace with myself as i cast that rod out into the depths of the lake. a great serenity overcame me. suddenly a lochness monster ripped my fucking boat into the ocean and devoured me.

you know what my story and your post have in common?

they both contain fictional things

yours is an amicable divorce and mine is the lochness monster. get a lawyer is my advice.
View Quote

This man speaks the truth .......  

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
This will work FINE until Monday Morning, when she goes into work, and tells all the "YENTA'S" she works with about it, and then, YOU'RE TOAST....

She'll have a lawyer on your ass by close of business Monday.....

Sorry....
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]
First wife and I did a friendly divorce.

I hired a lawyer just to do the process, but there was no fighting over anything.

I actually got off very easy financially, she didn't want alimony or anything. No kids either to complicate things.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I managed to.

We were both young, no kids, made the same money, had the same amount of debt.  Weren't even married long enough to have any joint accounts/credit cards before she went and played her part in running away with and wrecking the marriage of her scumbag jiu-jitsu instructor that was 20 years older and married with three kids.

Wasn't a hard choice to get divorced instead of trying to work it out.  Despite wanting to be a real huge dick about it and make things hard for her, I managed to stay civil in the interest of not having to spend money getting a lawyer involved.  She did the same, we figured out how to do the paperwork on our own and had the thing wrapped up pretty quickly.

So it is possible, but I think the reason most people advise lawyering up is because most of the time things don't go anywhere near that smooth.

Best of luck OP.  Mine was easy and it was still a miserable experience to go through, but it does get better.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Good ruck when she finds out how much it will cost to actually take care of herself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Amicable in the adversarial legal system

LMAO

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My ex-wife and I had a very amicable divorce.

I told her I wanted her to leave my life and never, ever, return... and she did.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#18]
My two divorces were pretty simple. The first one we had a kid involved, agreed on everything, she sold me her interest in the house,  we filled out all the paperwork ourselves, filing fee was $107 in 1998.

Second one the county we lived in wanted $400 to file a "simplified divorce" and about a 50-page packet filled out including tax returns, bank statements, etc, etc. I walked across the street from the court house into the closest lawyers office and he charged $1000 (including the filing fee) and it literally was two pages with no supporting documentation required. Since it was not contested she just simply waived her right to representation at the hearing and us and the judge signed everything, took 10 minutes. It was well worth the extra $600 to the lawyer.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
OP good luck and go ahead with the divorce. Can an amicable divorce work, sure, but not very often. You do have allot going for you without any children involved and her being able to support herself. So go for it and don't promise anything and don't look back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
My divorce was very amicable. We split our stuff up, didn't argue about anything. That was it. We moved on. Fortunately no children and no big community property involved.

I don't hold anything against him. We just weren't good together.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Me and my ex talked about a fair divorce with no lawyer. Thought it was a good idea till I found out what her idea of fair was.

At least you don't have kids, property and have only been married for less than two years.

You'll be ok.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My first wife and I worked out a very amicable divorce.  We tried everything, until we realized that we just weren't right for each other any more.  No one did anything wrong...we just admitted we no longer fit.  So we would go out for dinner, still have a good time and work out who got what...no attorneys involved, and it all ended fairly and we were both satisfied.

Years later, and my only regret was the lost time before we realized we weren't right for each other any more.  We both still cared deeply for each other, but it wasn't "lover" sort of love.  As long as it had to end, I'm really glad we ended like we did.  

It can be done, but both parties have to realize that true compromise means it is unlikely that both of you will get everything you want.  Fairness is much easier when both of you are busting your ass to try and be kind, fair, and reasonable because you still care for and about the other person's welfare.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Worked for me but be prepared to bite your tounge sometimes. Especially when you are pissed.
View Quote

Part of our divorce decree contains some extremely questionable language that she wanted. I agreed just to end it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does this ever work?

Long story short:

Engagement of 1 year

Married 1.5 years

No prenup

No children

No real-estate

Damned Arfcom curse.

View Quote
Sounds good, until she talks with her 'nest' of 'legal advisors' aka other divorced females - family, co-workers, arfcom-ettes, etc.

Then she will hire a lawyer 'just as backup' then said lawyer will talk to your 'just for backup lawyer', and the fighting will start.

Both lawyers will spend every penny YOU have, cause she has none, and when the funds dry up, a deal will be make, and the divorce gets done, at your expense.

There are several books available covering do-it-yourself divorce.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#25]
My parents did when I was in the 2nd grade.  No lawyers were involved they decided on how they would split time with me, and how things were going to get paid when it involved me.  They currently live a block away from each other.  We all routinely hang out together.  My dad will help out if my moms needs anything done around her house that I can't get to.  They get along better divorced than I ever remember as a kid when they were still married.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure there is. Problem is that BOTH people have to be rational adults and be able to sit down and discuss property and assets and that is pretty damn hard to find.

Married 15 years, amicable divorce.

We sat down and talked things over and split stuff WITHOUT lawyers, we then both took the signed papers to each of our lawyers and told them this is what you WILL do. There was really only one issue [due to length of marriage which OP doesn't have to worry about] and that was pension and retirement. Day of divorce she decided to keep hers and me keep mine. [I didn't want her anyways]

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Marriage implies to be together for life. Do what you have to do but 1. Marriages can be saved and sometimes you don't know how great something is until you lose it 2. The fact that she is "okay" with it now means squat. A week from now she could be 180'd coming after everything you have, so don't be caught off guard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My friend's first one was very amicable, him and the ex still get along.....

Let's not go into the hell the 2nd one was.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does this ever work?

Long story short:
Engagement of 1 year
Married 1.5 years
No prenup
No children
No real-estate

Damned Arfcom curse.
View Quote

Part in bold would have caused me to divorce her after 1-2 months, seriously.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My parents did when I was in the 2nd grade.  No lawyers were involved they decided on how they would split time with me, and how things were going to get paid when it involved me.  They currently live a block away from each other.  We all routinely hang out together.  My dad will help out if my moms needs anything done around her house that I can't get to.  They get along better divorced than I ever remember as a kid when they were still married.
View Quote

NO offense OP but how does your dad get along with the dude that is fucking your mom

This is why this never works

My X still want's the D if i give it to her she uses it to fuck me over
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
First wife and I did a friendly divorce.

I hired a lawyer just to do the process, but there was no fighting over anything.

I actually got off very easy financially, she didn't want alimony or anything. No kids either to complicate things.
View Quote

Exactly like mine, we even had the same lawyer! Talked the lawyer into an "emergency decree" filing. Went to the lawyer on Wednesday, went to court the following Wednesday, waited in court till the case was called, got my notarized copy of the decree 30 minutes later, went to work by 10:00 in the morning. No biggie!
Of course she was bailing out because she had a "lifeboat" already, and I was tired of being married to her myself, so we were just wanting a clean simple break. Now all the people I've told that to have said, "that ain't a damned divorce!" One friend was going through one of those 16 month, 3 kids, alimony, retirement fund, college tuition, house, car, and dog, divorces. He just looks at me and says to go copulate myself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a "friendly"divorce at the time. Although getting a lawyer would have worked out better for me but I was just trying to get it over with as soon as possible.
In my defense even getting a lawyer would not have gotten me what I deserved which is being able to watch her burn in hell.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

NO offense OP but how does your dad get along with the dude that is fucking your mom

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad couldn't care less who's banging my mom.  They have been divorced for 20 years.  Obviously there has been moments of tension through out the years.  All I'm saying is the divorce was amicable at the time and they remain friends today.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
What about a dissolution?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I pulled it off and got a smokin deal.

Sometimes you gotta eat some shit but keep a smile on your face and keep your eye on the goal.

TC
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know a few people who had a clean and relatively painless split, and wish you the best of luck with yours.  However, Get a lawyer now! document everything and cover your ass! If things go good then everyone walks away better off.  If things turn for the worst, you want to be covered.  

View Quote

I have an appointment with a lawyer on Thursday, two days after our counseling session. $250/hr. This is more of a CYA thing incase she gets vindictive.

Right now we're both wallowing in self pity over all the mistakes and arguments. She realizes now that I settled with her because of the dead baby (which she didn't tell me about because we had broken up). I don't think she appreciates how much it costs to live these days, but I will help as much as I can because I'm no asshole.

Trying to convince her now to get back in college because her grandfather left her and her sisters like half a million dollars in an educational trust. Too damned stubborn. Would rather scrape by on $1k/month than improve herself on other people's money. Even while her cousins are plundering it for full ride out of state tuition.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Ours was fairly amicable although drawn-out.
Be prepared for her to start ramping up her demands after she talks to her female friends and gets advice from them
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes.  I'm going through one right now.  Papers are done, judge just needs to sign them.   It can happen, and lord knows it is cheaper that way!
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sometimes you gotta eat some shit but keep a smile on your face and keep your eye on the goal.

TC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

QFT

keep your friends close and enemies closer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top