Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2014 1:59:44 PM EDT
Apparently the National Park Service is diving and digitizing the wreckage and is apparently going to have a "street view" exploration of it later this year.

Honestly, I'm kind of torn on this one.  Keeping the knowledge for posterity is a good thing, but there are likely unrecoverable sailors down there as well.

http://gizmodo.com/dive-into-this-digital-uss-arizona-in-the-name-of-conse-1578589318
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Its good to document it for future generations so those who eventually have no idea what a battleship was/is can at least perhaps look at films and movies of the site. Sure its not perfect but anything that preserves history and helps commemorate the fallen is a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its good to document it for future generations so those who eventually have no idea what a battleship was/is can at least perhaps look at films and movies of the site. Sure its not perfect but anything that preserves history and helps commemorate the fallen is a good thing.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FPNI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe so as well.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]

I think an exterior exploration is fine....not disrespectful if handled correctly.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as the wreck itself is not penetrated, I see no issues with this. Over the years, there has been surveys of the wreck to keep track of the condition for historical documentation and to be sure collapse is not imminent.

As much as we hold her sacred, she must be documented and we need to be ready to contain what will be a massive oil spil when the wreck collapses. The men who served on her would understand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The AZ will not be around to much longer. Its going to start collapsing before to much longer, salt water plays hell on steel. We need to have the record of what it looked like, while in service and while laying in state.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The AZ will not be around to much longer. Its going to start collapsing before to much longer, salt water plays hell on steel. We need to have the record of what it looked like, while in service and while laying in state.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
It honors the memory of the men interred there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
An excellent read on the subject.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]
It needs to be done.  Both to record the wreck for future generations, but also to try and ascertain the danger from the fuel oil still left in her wreck.  If it collapses, there's a hell of a lot of concern that several hundred thousand gallons of oil would be released, creating a pretty big mess. . . .
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
In warm, shallow water how long until even the bones are gone?

How long until the fuel HAS to be removed to keep it from causing havoc in the harbor?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In warm, shallow water how long until even the bones are gone?

How long until the fuel HAS to be removed to keep it from causing havoc in the harbor?
View Quote

Nobody knows how long until it happens. That is probably one of the reasons to have the Parks service regularly dive the site, so they can assess corrosion and potential collapse of the steel structure.

Documenting the site for future generations, and keeping a watchful eye on a potential oil leak/ecological disaster is a good idea, in my opinion. Hopefully they can find a way to remove the oil before it becomes a huge issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Why have they not removed the oil already?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The wreck of the USS Arizona has been dived extensively after the sinking and many times since then.
This is a good thing.
Once it's gone it's gone.

A post about the same thing I made in 2005.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=361504

RIP Shipmates.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why have they not removed the oil already?
View Quote

The USS Arizona was sunk in 1941.
The memorial was built in 1962.

All of the bodies and oil that could be recovered was.
There are concerns in regards to pumping the rest of the oil out of the ship.
Respecting the final resting place of the men entombed in the wreckage.
The oil that's left is actually helping to preserve the wreckage.
The environmental damage that may happen if something goes wrong during the oil pump out operation.

I have read that that at some time in the future they may place a cofferdam around the USS Arizona and then pump out the oil before it collapses.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Some good images of the USS Arizona.

http://www.ibiblio.org/phha/arizona/gallery.html
December 7th
Battleship Row
Arizona Explodes
Arizona Burning
Wreck of the Arizona
Salvage of the Arizona

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately there were only two Pennsylvania class battleships ever made and the Pennsylvania was used as a target in Operation Crossroads. Otherwise I would say, document another ship instead.

That said, I would be digitizing the fuck out of the remaining museum ships, especially the USS Texas if I were involved in their foundations.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I think an exterior exploration is fine....not disrespectful if handled correctly.

View Quote

I agree. They need to stay out of the inside.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
How many years will it be before the entire ship has been lost to the elements?  I imagine belt armor stands up pretty good to rust and corrosion but nothing manmade lasts forever.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

December 7th
Battleship Row
Arizona Explodes
Arizona Burning
Wreck of the Arizona
Salvage of the Arizona

http://www.ibiblio.org/phha/arizona/salvage01.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

December 7th
Battleship Row
Arizona Explodes
Arizona Burning
Wreck of the Arizona
Salvage of the Arizona

Read that link.  Some sad stories in there.  

The forward half of the ship is engulfed in flames that shoot hundreds of feet into the air. The heat is so intense that the only remains of Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, the Commander of Battleship Division One is his Naval Academy class ring, welded to the steel deck of the armored conning tower. These color shots were taken from a rare color motion picture shot by an Army doctor visiting the USS Solace
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

December 7th
Battleship Row
Arizona Explodes
Arizona Burning
Wreck of the Arizona
Salvage of the Arizona

View Quote

Many people do not realize that the Arizona was extensively salvaged, they think the ship sits as it was on 12-7-41.

I have seen the ship in person, such a profound site. IMO, only the WTC site left a more lasting impression on me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
My Dad went back to Pearl Harbor for the 50th reunion. I had the opportunity to walk around on Ford Island with him while he described what he went through and saw that day. I could tell he was elsewhere in time while he was telling me about what he saw that day. He died in June of '92.

The ship was heavily salvaged during the war. As long as they don't go inside they should document what's left as much as possible. Eventually its just going to be a pile of rust.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Apparently the National Park Service is diving and digitizing the wreckage and is apparently going to have a "street view" exploration of it later this year.

Honestly, I'm kind of torn on this one.  Keeping the knowledge for posterity is a good thing, but there are likely unrecoverable sailors down there as well.

http://gizmodo.com/dive-into-this-digital-uss-arizona-in-the-name-of-conse-1578589318
View Quote

Do it.100 years from now it will be a mound of rust and oil.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't get you guys, they should go inside and outside and document everything.

If it's OK with USS Arizona survivors then you should have no problems.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/national-park-service-and-autodesk-carry-out-first-comprehensive-digital-survey-to-preserve-the-uss-arizona-and-memorial-2014-05-26

Also present at the press conference was 92-year-old USS Arizona survivor Don Stratton, one of only nine remaining USS Arizona survivors still alive, and one of only a few hundred to make it off the ship. Stratton was only 19 years old when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He along with six other crew members went hand over hand on a heaving line across the burning deck to safety on the USS Vestal that was moored alongside the USS Arizona that fateful morning. Stratton suffered burns over 70 percent of his body.

When presented with the 3D print of the cooking pot for the first time, Stratton said, “That is amazing. I don’t know anybody in the galley that survived that day. At the time of the explosion, it was self-preservation. After that, it was extremely hard to return. Now, when I go back and remember, it’s a little easier. I think it [3D artifacts] will make an impression on a lot of people, I really do.”

Stratton’s son Randy Stratton, who was also present, said, “You can’t duplicate these artifacts. They represent the beginning of the war, the end of the war and the fact that there is still life there [on the USS Arizona].”

Don Stratton concluded, “I hope they remember all the shipmates that are still aboard the Arizona. And I hope they remember all the people that gave their lives for this great country.”
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
absolutely right

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Serious questions, that I cannot find the answers to.

How much oil spilled into Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th and the following days?   What long term environmental damage did it cause?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are like 7 of them preserved and open for tours if you are so inclined to see what a BB is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#29]
The Navy or subcontractors dived on the Arizona for 3 years after she was sunk in order to salvage pieces of her.

Did divers never fully explore the interior to recover the dead?  If not, why not?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Serious questions, that I cannot find the answers to.

How much oil spilled into Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th and the following days?   What long term environmental damage did it cause?
View Quote

I read somewhere that on Dec 6th, the Arizona took on 1.5 million gallons of fuel in preparation to sail to the mainland.  After salvaging, it was estimated that at least 500,000 gallons remained in the ship and it leaks about 3-9 quarts per day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Navy or subcontractors dived on the Arizona for 3 years after she was sunk in order to salvage pieces of her.

Did divers never fully explore the interior to recover the dead?  If not, why not?
View Quote

Divers have gone in in the past, but the inside is shredded so bad that the risk of loss of the divers is too great.  Jagged edges rip oxygen lines and suits and such.  I say leave it alone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Many people do not realize that the Arizona was extensively salvaged, they think the ship sits as it was on 12-7-41.

I have seen the ship in person, such a profound site. IMO, only the WTC site left a more lasting impression on me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

December 7th
Battleship Row
Arizona Explodes
Arizona Burning
Wreck of the Arizona
Salvage of the Arizona

I hear a good bit of it is still on shore somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#33]
The Arizona has been dove extensively with respect.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
An excellent read on the subject.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511JK7MY4ML.jpg    
View Quote

Ray ears book is excellent.

Being amount the dead, doing a tough job with respect.in the dark.

"Submerged" is another excellent book on the NPS work on the wreck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hear a good bit of it is still on shore somewhere.
View Quote

Ford Island and Waipio Peninsula (Pearl Harbor).

Waipio Peninsula
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top