BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only issue with not enforcing seatbelt laws is that hospitals have to treat you if you don't have insurance and can't pay.  I could care less if you want to drive around without a seatbelt but when you cost tax payers and hospitals money because they are obligated by law to treat you then you should be required to wear a seatbelt.
View Quote

The problem with that mindset is if you're going to go that route why would it end with seatbelts ?

Should we ban rock climbing or motorcycling ? That is dangerous and can cost the taxpayers money if someone gets hurt.

Mandate the fire department check our homes for smoke detectors and fine us if we don't have enough ?

Most don't want that kind of intrusion everywhere so I don't see why it should be the case with seatbelts, but nothing else.

You're either free to be stupid or you're not.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Relax, it's "click it or ticket" month.  It'll be back to normal in June for you I'm sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF. That is just petty bullshit. I am awfully tired of shit like this. Casper PD wrote my wife a seatbelt ticket a few weeks ago.

The idea of a seatbelt ticket just makes me mad. Its none of the governments business.

Speeding tickets I can understand.

Relax, it's "click it or ticket" month.  It'll be back to normal in June for you I'm sure.

it is the principle of the thing.

I generally wear my seatbelt so I am not too worried about a ticket.

But pulling some over for the ball hitch being high is pretty petty wouldn't you say ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I got two seat belt tickets in 4 months.  mine was a 10 dollar fine, no points.  it's a joke. It an income stream for the city. You can't explain it any other way.  Safety issue, yeah, so explain to me motorcycles.........I rest my case.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That makes 0 sense. It's traffic enforcement----NOT revenue generation.

You would prefer only revenue generation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to drive a Ranger until recently. I was pulled over in Spokane on my way to work for the same reason. I received a warning, not ticket. Seriously? If you are going to make me late to work, at least make it be for a citation worthy stop, not some bullshit stop where you expect me to show you gratitude.

You would have rather had a ticket?

Interesting.

Not really - what he's saying is that if you're going to go through the trouble - go through the trouble. Stopping and doing all the BS without the ticket just means you're dicking with people to have something to do - there's no "LAW ENFORCEMENT" in that situation.

Either enforce the law or don't - can't go 1/2 way.

That makes 0 sense. It's traffic enforcement----NOT revenue generation.

You would prefer only revenue generation?

That's a good one. Have to remember that on open mike night.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The problem with that mindset is if you're going to go that route why would it end with seatbelts ?

Should we ban rock climbing or motorcycling ? That is dangerous and can cost the taxpayers money if someone gets hurt.

Mandate the fire department check our homes for smoke detectors and fine us if we don't have enough ?

Most don't want that kind of intrusion everywhere so I don't see why it should be the case with seatbelts, but nothing else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My only issue with not enforcing seatbelt laws is that hospitals have to treat you if you don't have insurance and can't pay.  I could care less if you want to drive around without a seatbelt but when you cost tax payers and hospitals money because they are obligated by law to treat you then you should be required to wear a seatbelt.

Then eliminate mandatory treatment.

People want freedom but don't want the consequences of being free.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
They will bust you here for no seatbelt but if your a Mexican with a pick up you can put 10 people in the bed and haul them around...........
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be an option. Not sure if I'd be in favor of it or not, but its an option.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That would be an option. Not sure if I'd be in favor of it or not, but its an option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People want freedom but they don't want the consequences.  

If you want mandated treatment that has nothing to with ability to pay then there are certain freedoms that you have to give up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it is stupid that I can ride a motorcycle here without a helmet, but have to wear a seat belt.

I think wearing your seat belt and a helmet are smart, but not something that the law needs to concern itself with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Donnie Bakers says just put a piece of duct tape diagonally across your shirt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you want mandated treatment that has nothing to with ability to pay then there are certain freedoms that you have to give up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really isn't workable to give up freedoms to keep medical costs down. You'd have to ban so many things it would be ridiculous.

I am not necessarily against eliminating mandatory treatment however I'm just not sure.

There is other options as well. I am definitely in favor of aggressive garnishment and collection for the bills that are left unpaid.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But pulling some over for the ball hitch being high is pretty petty wouldn't you say ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF. That is just petty bullshit. I am awfully tired of shit like this. Casper PD wrote my wife a seatbelt ticket a few weeks ago.

The idea of a seatbelt ticket just makes me mad. Its none of the governments business.

Well, most people use a Reese hitch these days and the plate stays visible.  Some people still use a ball attached to the bumper.  If it obscures the plate, it obscures the plate.  Why not just take the plate off and toss it?  

I've stopped for it but as far as I can remember I made them aware and sent them on their way.  Unless they weren't wearing a seatbelt. ..........just kidding, I've never written a seatbelt ticket.  

But I have written for child seat violations.  Is arfcom against those too?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

People want freedom but don't want the consequences of being free.
View Quote

I fully agree. The softheads that run this place do not.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do somehing about it. Get the law changed. Derr
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shhhhh.....they'll ban motorcycles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must wear seat belt in a vehicle....
Don't have to wear a helment on a motorcycle....
Illogical

Shhhhh.....they'll ban motorcycles.

I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt in my F150 in San Antonio once....by a motorcycle cop. I always thought that was kind of ironic.

I wear them when I feel like it. I've survived one car being crushed and one being cut in half. They aren't all that. Fuck it though, I pay my own health insurance. If I end up dead or a veggie how is that anyone else's business. Yeah, I ride sans helmet too sometimes. It's my life.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So gay.  Seatbelt laws are dumb.

Is it $25 total?  Round here, they slap $75 "court fees" onto every ticket it seems.  Even if you dont actually go to court.

View Quote

Got to feed the system.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Got to feed the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it $25 total?  Round here, they slap $75 "court fees" onto every ticket it seems.  Even if you dont actually go to court.

Got to feed the system.

The court costs ARE bullshit if you ask me.  I'm ok with the fines but our court costs are $200.  That's more than double the fines in most cases.  When I know for a fact that some places still have $25-$50 court costs.  

The court costs alone have kept me from writing a lot of tickets here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Went to lunch with a coworker in his Ranger.  We get pulled over because "his bumper mounted ball hitch is obscuring his license plate" (dont they all?)

We each received seatbelt violations.

It was so ludicrous and transparent all I could do was laugh.  Enjoy that 25 buck Mills PD.  You earned it.  

Eta:  They've been openly advertising that they are really coming down on seatbelt violations this month, but its a secondary offense here.

Whatever.  I got a chuckle, thought Id share and stir the pot a bit.
View Quote

National Seat Belt Enforcement Mobilization

May 19 - June 1

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#20]

It really isn't workable to give up freedoms to keep medical costs down. You'd have to ban so many things it would be ridiculous.

I am not necessarily against eliminating mandatory treatment however I'm just not sure.

There is other options as well. I am definitely in favor of aggressive garnishment and collection for the bills that are left unpaid.

View Quote

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your thought process?  You want mandated medical treatment but not mandated safety measures?  You want the freedom to travel however you feel but don't want to accept the consequences of the safety measures you choose to ignore.

Confirms my suspicions that few grasp the concept of freedom and the few that do, don't want it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That would be an illegal ticket since the radar devices have a +/- 1 mph tolerance says that right on the side of the device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CT is like $380 for a speeding ticket doing 66 in a 65mph zone.

It is cheaper to get a lawyer.. even one at $150/hr for any kind of citation you receive. I'd rather pay the lawyers than the state - and lawyers aren't too high up on my list of people to pay either.

That would be an illegal ticket since the radar devices have a +/- 1 mph tolerance says that right on the side of the device.

Well considering he's full of shit on the fine amount, I'm sure the speed he's referring to is spot on too right?  

1-9 over in CT is $132, max of $232 if it's a school zone/construction zone type deal...

CT posts their rates yearly online

Also, a lot of state patrols do not go by the same requirements for radar/lidar that county/municipality may go by.

ETA: Just double checked, 22mph over isn't even the $380 that dude pulled out of his ass...

ETA
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The court clerk girls thought it would be nice if we handed on these papers with the fines listed so you would not call them, I refused. Rules of the court I'm good with it, fine amounts not so much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno, that's the fucked up part really.  Guy couldn't tell me what the fine was, gotta call in.  He said he thought it wasn't more than 25 bucks though.  

Nice enough guy, just following orders.  

The court clerk girls thought it would be nice if we handed on these papers with the fines listed so you would not call them, I refused. Rules of the court I'm good with it, fine amounts not so much.

Interesting, didn't know that.  The only other 2 tickets Ive ever gotten (47 in a 30 when I was 16 and 78 in a 75 in CO due to WY plates) had the amounts written on them for me by the LEO.  Learn sumthin new everyday.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Iowa supreme court recently ruled that you can be pulled over if any letter on your license plate is obscured.  That's ANY letter, even the county or state name.  That makes it easy.

ETA: and yeah, a $25 ticket here would also add about $80 in court costs.  What a joke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Iowa supreme court recently ruled that you can be pulled over if any letter on your license plate is obscured.  That's ANY letter, even the county or state name.  That makes it easy to know how to keep from getting pulled over

ETA: and yeah, a $25 ticket here would also add about $80 in court costs.  What a joke.
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do you not see the hypocrisy in your thought process?  You want mandated medical treatment but not mandated safety measures?  You want the freedom to travel however you feel but don't want to accept the consequences of the safety measures you choose to ignore.

Confirms my suspicions that few grasp the concept of freedom and the few that do, don't want it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually I took no position of mandating treatment. I said I wasn't sure about it but it was an option.
I have argued for your position in the past, and taken flak for being cruel not wanting mandated treatment.
I just don't see the point in mandating one safety feature in the name of saving tax dollars but not the thousands of other safety features. I don't see any hypocrisy in that, in fact quite the opposite. It is hypocrisy to want mandated seatbelts but not regulate every single area of your life in the name of safety.
Heck if its all about the money why would someone get treated without having cash even if they were wearing their seatbelt and did nothing wrong.
Some do want true freedom but unfortunately I don't think this is as simple as you're making it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interesting, didn't know that.  The only other 2 tickets Ive ever gotten (47 in a 30 when I was 16 and 78 in a 75 in CO due to WY plates) had the amounts written on them for me by the LEO.  Learn sumthin new everyday.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno, that's the fucked up part really.  Guy couldn't tell me what the fine was, gotta call in.  He said he thought it wasn't more than 25 bucks though.  

Nice enough guy, just following orders.  

Casper PD writes the amount on the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the seatbelt violation a secondary offense?

It is click it or ticket grant season. A cop working the grant needs a primary reason to stop you to issue a secondary seatbelt violation. If that's the case in your state.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

National Seat Belt Enforcement Fishing Expedition and Revenue Enhancement Mobilization

May 19 - June 1

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/ciot/index.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to lunch with a coworker in his Ranger.  We get pulled over because "his bumper mounted ball hitch is obscuring his license plate" (dont they all?)

It was so ludicrous and transparent all I could do was laugh.  Enjoy that 25 buck Mills PD.  You earned it.  

Eta:  They've been openly advertising that they are really coming down on seatbelt violations this month, but its a secondary offense here.

National Seat Belt Enforcement Fishing Expedition and Revenue Enhancement Mobilization

May 19 - June 1

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Will you wear your seat belt next time?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May 19 - June 1

FIFY

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is the seatbelt violation a secondary offense?

It is click it or ticket grant season. A cop working the grant needs a primary reason to stop you to issue a secondary seatbelt violation. If that's the case in your state.

View Quote

Secondary in WY
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May 19 - June 1

FIFY

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just got home, pup is still alive.  Sun is still up though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are the dags?

Just got home, pup is still alive.  Sun is still up though...

Prepare your anus!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Tag to see all of gd tell us how much money PDs get from tickets...
View Quote

Approximately 41 million people receive speeding tickets in the U.S. every year, paying out more than $6.2 billion per year, according to statistics from the U.S. Highway Patrol published at StatisticBrain.com.

So, just as drug cops in Colorado and Washington are cutting budgets after losing revenue from asset and property seizures from marijuana arrests, state and local governments will need to account for a drastic reduction in fines from traffic violations as autonomous cars stick to the speed limit."
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Driverless cars could cripple budgets.

Approximately 41 million people receive speeding tickets in the U.S. every year, paying out more than $6.2 billion per year, according to statistics from the U.S. Highway Patrol published at StatisticBrain.com.

So, just as drug cops in Colorado and Washington are cutting budgets after losing revenue from asset and property seizures from marijuana arrests, state and local governments will need to account for a drastic reduction in fines from traffic violations as autonomous cars stick to the speed limit."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag to see all of gd tell us how much money PDs get from tickets...
Driverless cars could cripple budgets.

What is the U.S. Highway patrol?
And do you know how much money police get from the ticket?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Because revenue agents.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Years ago I knew a guy who made his kids wear seat belts because it was the smart thing to do.

He however could not bring himself to buckle up because he had twice been ejected from cars , one that had burned badly and one that had been pancaked . He admitted that he would be safer if he used the belt but could not bring himself to drive while strapped in.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Seatbelt tickets started out a secondary offense here, but changed to primary as soon as the law was able to be changed (2 years). It's $375 here. The young cops look all when they try to get you for no belt when you're driving an old car with lap belts. Takes a minute for them to realize that old cars didn't have shoulder straps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well considering he's full of shit on the fine amount, I'm sure the speed he's referring to is spot on too right?  

1-9 over in CT is $132, max of $232 if it's a school zone/construction zone type deal...

Also, before you go spouting off about legality, the +/- 1 mph may apply to radar, but it does not apply to lidar.  Also, a lot of state patrols do not go by the same requirements for radar/lidar that county/municipality may go by.

ETA: Just double checked, 22mph over isn't even the $380 that dude pulled out of his ass...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CT is like $380 for a speeding ticket doing 66 in a 65mph zone.

It is cheaper to get a lawyer.. even one at $150/hr for any kind of citation you receive. I'd rather pay the lawyers than the state - and lawyers aren't too high up on my list of people to pay either.

Also, before you go spouting off about legality, the +/- 1 mph may apply to radar, but it does not apply to lidar.  Also, a lot of state patrols do not go by the same requirements for radar/lidar that county/municipality may go by.

Specs for a brand new Pro Laser 4

Speed accuracy: +/- 1 mph (+/- 1 km/h)
Speed range: 5 to 200 mph (option to 0 km/h)
Range Accuracy: +/- 6”
Range Resolution: 0.1 foot
Range: 10 feet to 8,000 ft.
Acquisition time: Less than 0.3 seconds
Beam width: 2.67 ft at 1,000 ft.
Operating temp: -22 degrees F to 140 degrees F
Power: (4) AA batteries
Profile (H x W x L): 9.80” x 4.30” x 6.30”
Weight: 2.5 lbs with batteries

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May 19 - June 1

FIFY

Oh sorry, I keep forgetting the government loves me and has my best interests at heart. Cuz that's what it's all about, they care for my personal safety and just want to protect me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I got two seat belt tickets in 4 months.  mine was a 10 dollar fine, no points.  it's a joke. It an income stream for the city. You can't explain it any other way.  Safety issue, yeah, so explain to me motorcycles.........I rest my case.
View Quote

I got quite a few seatbelt tickets in Missouri... 10 bucks each, whatever.

Got one in Oklahoma and those bastards wanted 20 bucks, assholes.

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a receipt from my last ticket.  I'd have rather they said "hey dumbass, we're taking your $251 and going out drinking."

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a cop pull me over because my wife looked like someone he just arrested and dropped off at the station.  Across town...  Then ticketed me for no front plate...  

Yeah sure, your prisoner just escaped the PD and is on the loose.  But nobody notified you that happened. But sure, that girl must be her.  Told the guy he didn't have to lie to my face.  But I found out front plate tickets are a secondary.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I used to drive a Ranger until recently. I was pulled over in Spokane on my way to work for the same reason. I received a warning, not ticket. Seriously? If you are going to make me late to work, at least make it be for a citation worthy stop, not some bullshit stop where you expect me to show you gratitude.
View Quote

That the dumbest thing I've read in awhile.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I always wear mine, and would continue to do so if it the law was struck down.  Still shouldnt be legally mandated to do so.

Same with helmet laws.  Theyre silly and useless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seatbelt laws are dumb... almost as dumb as people who don't wear seatbelts.

I always wear mine, and would continue to do so if it the law was struck down.  Still shouldnt be legally mandated to do so.

Same with helmet laws.  Theyre silly and useless.

This. If someone doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, why should they be forced to? I would continue to wear mine on the highway and when traveling faster speeds, but if I'm just putting along doing about 25 then I'd like to take my seatbelt off and be a little more comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to GD.

Titty sprinkles
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I write 10 times more warnings than citations. Most people are appreciative for it. That's my way of not being a dick to otherwise nice people. Glad to see some on here still bitch for getting a warning.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Here's a receipt from my last ticket.  I'd have rather they said "hey dumbass, we're taking your $251 and going out drinking."
<a href="http://s961.photobucket.com/user/redfish86/media/Ticketreceipt001_zpsa47297a8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae94/redfish86/Ticketreceipt001_zpsa47297a8.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s961.photobucket.com/user/redfish86/media/Ticketreceipt001_zpsa47297a8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae94/redfish86/Ticketreceipt001_zpsa47297a8.jpg</a>

Holy fuck.

And I was pissed for mine just saying:

Fine - $50
Court Surcharge - $75

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]
They can't pull you over for no seatbelt here and speeding fines are $20 for 10 over and $40 for 20 over payable on the spot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm "amazed" that after all that the total was a nice whole number.  

How much does the guy who knows algebra make in Walton CO, FL?  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top