Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2014 6:30:42 AM EDT
So, whats the difference????? Is it a "Historical" thing???? Price????? Quality of the items or what???? Cutting????? Drilling?????

FWIW I'm looking for a project and maybe taking a Mosin and building a cheap scout rifle setup for the farm truck. Shorter barrel, muzzle break, new stock, scout scope, sling and a leather butt stock ammo carrier. DuraCoat the whole thing.

Discuss..
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Rails and scopes on Garands and 03A3s.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no hard and fast rule but for me it'd be a few things-

1) Something which ruins the value of a potentially historical piece, like cutting down an enfield, or drilling and tapping a swedish mauser,
2) A poorly done but simple job, like someone who poorly installs a new part on an otherwise desirable gun
3) A poorly done/dangerous job, which could have worked if bubba knew what he was doing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#3]
if work wasn't done by a licenced gunsmith or at least a guild member then it's a bubba gun..
in my opinion anyways..
I see ads all the time with "Custom" and "Up grade"  Wilson this, Ed Brown that and with out custom fitting it's just some drop on parts any
reasonably competent moron could complete. No one EVER seems to have the packaging, original parts, receipts to
prove the snap on's are in fact Wilson or Brown etc or just something picked up on ebay.
unless the provenance is presented with the gun...it's Bubba the gunsmiths work and not worth woth the orginal purchase price.

that's the 1911's aficionado's point of view...at least most. Upscale AR Parts makers logo the products..giving "SOME" proof of origination.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The fickle whims of the purveyor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a case by case. But you know it when you see it....

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Cold Bore Customs stippling: quality

The original DustyC soldering iron Glock rape: bubba

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, whats the difference????? Is it a "Historical" thing???? Price????? Quality of the items or what???? Cutting????? Drilling?????

FWIW I'm looking for a project and maybe taking a Mosin and building a cheap scout rifle setup for the farm truck. Shorter barrel, muzzle break, new stock, scout scope, sling and a leather butt stock ammo carrier. DuraCoat the whole thing.

Discuss..
View Quote

Don't break the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bubba. No matter how good of a job you do, that's bubba right there.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Discuss..
View Quote

By the time you are done with that "cheap" setup, you are probably going to have sunk over a grand into it between labor and parts
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It is very easy OP.

There is my taste.

And there is bad taste.

Bad taste = bubba.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Simple answer-- This answer assumes that we are talking about milsurps and other "collectibles."

If what you hope to accomplish may be done as effectively and at a remotely comparable price with satisfactory results, the modification of a milsurp or "collectible" firearm is unnecessary and I put it in the realm of "Bubba'ing."

For instance, I once had a Finn M28 Mosin Nagant that someone has milled off the rear sight ears, inlet the stock, and tapped for an optic.  He put a cheap optics mount on it, and a Tasco scope.  The work was done fairly well.  And yet, the cost of the gun and work could have purchased a Remington 700 or Savage 110.  The accuracy of the firearm was decent, but not any better than a modern firearm.

He essentially butchered a nice Finn M28 to accomplish nothing, and paid more than a modern replacement with better performance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5746/tapco.jpg
View Quote

^ this

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm more of a 1911 guy, so...

Bubba:

-"polishing" a feed ramp to improve function, but you screw up the angle and cause misfeeds
-tuning/replacing extractors without knowing what you're doing
-putting threaded barrels on everything... because you can
-putting full guide rods on everything... because you can
-garish Hogue tacticool grips
-putting rails on everything... because you can
-hacking up a gun with traditional Colt sights so you can put on your cheap-ass Novak night sights
-Cerakoting a gun that has a gorgeous blue or stainless finish
-replacing triggers without knowing what you're doing and winding up with gritty triggers, scary 1# trigger pulls, or triggers that get stuck on the sear
-extended slide release
-extended mag relese
-extended thumb safety
-ambi safety, ambi slide stop and other bullshit
-magwells that aren't properly fitted
-overspringing or underspringing guns because you have no idea what you're doing
-dicking around with the firing pin/mainspring and getting light strikes
-hacking up the ejection port to "flare and lower it"

These are just some, and why it's a nightmare to buy a used 1911. Because there is a good chance some idiot tried several of the above and failed to get it to work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Depends if there are cheap beer cans in the pictures during modification

Some of the first firearms were modified by "rednecks" and bubba, or maybe even a pirate

If it works?

If it looks like ass, it will smell like shit, next
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote

what you have just described is bubba. Total, complete, absolute bubba. You included the all-important muzzle break, but forgot pic rail. How you gonna mount a weapon light?

anyhoo, it's your rifle. Do what you want and enjoy it.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Take a beautiful job of sporterizing a Mauser 98 into an African big game rifle.  Regardless of the level of craftsmanship involved, there is a certain group of people who see that rifle as no different from the guy who just takes the front wood off of an enfield and puts a B square scope mount on it.  To them, they're both bubbas.

A more modern example is adding serrations, or lightening cuts, or RDS sight cuts, to a cookie cutter handgun.  Regardless of how well the modification works toward the intended function, no matter how well done the machining and or refinishing, there is another group of people who see it as no different than a dremel inspired carry bevel job, because they either don't see the point of the modification or because the goal of the modification isn't something they even use firearms for.

A third example is that some groups of firearms enthusiasts see any modification whatsoever as stupid at best, and assumes any modified firearm at worst, is unreliable and something less than it once was, if the modifier doesn't have a name like Chuck Rogers or Ted Yost.

Finally, the 4th example is the people who can't leave anything alone, fuck up everything they touch, and with every photo they post they breed more people of the first three.  So just don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
This project is definitely bubba, but it's a mosin. That gives you a green light as long as you start with a grade b 91/30. Remember, a mosin is the national ancestor to the trash can gun, which makes it even more trash. Glorious cheap smile inducing fun trash, but still trash. Bubba it and be proud of it. Hell, put it on armslist for $950 when you're done and claim one moa at 1000 yards. Throw in 40 rounds of "armor piercing real Russian ammo" and someone will sing your praises from every building top
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Stippling a Glock. That is the most bubba abortion of customizing ive ever seen. Everyone that does it basically took a decent gun and turned it resale value into ZERO.

Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly.. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#21]
bubba - permanently altering a rare item, or doing a hack job on anything.
customizing - not fucking shit up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'll admit to that rifle being mine. Being young and having a CTD catalog is dangerous thing

Now it went from Tapco fucked to Magpul fucked

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks like half the AR's I see at my range...
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Bubba-ism include but are not limited to:

* screwing up a perfectly good milsurp firearm
* putting picatinny rails where they don't belong - does a Krink REALLY need a picatinny rail?
* any modification to an SKS whatsoever
* bayonets on handguns
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Using a painted finish on anything that was originally blued is the first sign ........

99% of Bubba jobs are a direct result of someones ambition exceeding their skill level......

This is what a properly customised Mosin looks like:

Yet  this is what many end up like:

Mosin customizing thread at Nitroexpress.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned...

"If any part of your gun was modified with a dremel....you might have a bubba..."
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?????
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#28]
In my opinion, if the gun in question is not a historical piece with limited examples available, and you're modifying it to suit a particular purpose instead of just to look "cool", and the modifications make sense and don't look stupid, then it is not a bubba job. Or, if you're wanting to make cosmetic upgrades to a previously aged/damaged gun, you're also good.

For example, your Mosin.  There's a billion of them, and as long as you're using a pedestrian, run of the mill example, you're good.
You're modifying it into a truck/scout gun, and a long barrel Mosin is clearly not ideal for that purpose. You're good.
You're going to do it right and cerakote it and replace the stock, not just painting it with dollar store paint because it looks cool.  If it doesn't look stupid when you're done, you're good.

I posted about refinishing a gun yesterday that belonged to my late FIL.  In my opinion, I didn't do a bubba job, because the gun wasn't so great in the condition it was in:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625257_A_few_years_old__but___.html

Cerakoting in weird colors, adding strange accessories to guns that were never meant to have them, doing "custom" texturing jobs which clearly look like they were done at the kitchen table (because they were) to me are just bubba.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

By the time you are done with that "cheap" setup, you are probably going to have sunk over a grand into it between labor and parts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss..

I figured somewhere around 350 to 400$. This is mainly a PROJECT not something to bet my life on in SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
if work wasn't done by a licenced gunsmith or at least a guild member then it's a bubba gun..
in my opinion anyways..
I see ads all the time with "Custom" and "Up grade"  Wilson this, Ed Brown that and with out custom fitting it's just some drop on parts any
reasonably competent moron could complete. No one EVER seems to have the packaging, original parts, receipts to
prove the snap on's are in fact Wilson or Brown etc or just something picked up on ebay.
unless the provenance is presented with the gun...it's Bubba the gunsmiths work and not worth woth the orginal purchase price.

that's the 1911's aficionado's point of view...at least most. Upscale AR Parts makers logo the products..giving "SOME" proof of origination.
View Quote

I've seen work done by non professionals that rivaled the high price pros that thought their work was better because of a piece of paper hanging on the wall.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It is very easy OP.

There is my taste.

And there is bad taste.

Bad taste = bubba.
View Quote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#34]
IMO a bubba job has a clear and simple definition: taking a military arm and 'sporterizing' it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Simple answer-- This answer assumes that we are talking about milsurps and other "collectibles."

If what you hope to accomplish may be done as effectively and at a remotely comparable price with satisfactory results, the modification of a milsurp or "collectible" firearm is unnecessary and I put it in the realm of "Bubba'ing."

For instance, I once had a Finn M28 Mosin Nagant that someone has milled off the rear sight ears, inlet the stock, and tapped for an optic.  He put a cheap optics mount on it, and a Tasco scope.  The work was done fairly well.  And yet, the cost of the gun and work could have purchased a Remington 700 or Savage 110.  The accuracy of the firearm was decent, but not any better than a modern firearm.

He essentially butchered a nice Finn M28 to accomplish nothing, and paid more than a modern replacement with better performance.
View Quote

This I agree with. My project gun is a run of the mill, made by the millions Mosin with a cracked stock and a slightly buggered up muzzle crown. It is all matching numbers though which is the only really good thing about it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I never considered different tastes or ideas to be Bubba, just when someone does an extraordinarily shitty job at something. Like fluting the barrel with a dremel. Or painting their car without taping anything up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

what you have just described is bubba. Total, complete, absolute bubba. You included the all-important muzzle break, but forgot pic rail. How you gonna mount a weapon light?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't need a light or rails. Those are for Bubba'ed AR's
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#38]
My buddy has been trying to do the exact same thing with his Mosin.
Two scope mounts, one laser boresighter, one scout scope and hours on the range and on the work bench (no dremel, but files involved) and we are getting close to getting shots on paper at 25 yards.
I wold define a bubba job as, trying to make any object do something it was not designed for when the worker lacks proper tools and/or knowledge for the job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In my opinion, if the gun in question is not a historical piece with limited examples available, and you're modifying it to suit a particular purpose instead of just to look "cool", and the modifications make sense and don't look stupid, then it is not a bubba job. Or, if you're wanting to make cosmetic upgrades to a previously aged/damaged gun, you're also good.

For example, your Mosin.  There's a billion of them, and as long as you're using a pedestrian, run of the mill example, you're good.
You're modifying it into a truck/scout gun, and a long barrel Mosin is clearly not ideal for that purpose. You're good.
You're going to do it right and cerakote it and replace the stock, not just painting it with dollar store paint because it looks cool.  If it doesn't look stupid when you're done, you're good.

I posted about refinishing a gun yesterday that belonged to my late FIL.  In my opinion, I didn't do a bubba job, because the gun wasn't so great in the condition it was in:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1625257_A_few_years_old__but___.html

Cerakoting in weird colors, adding strange accessories to guns that were never meant to have them, doing "custom" texturing jobs which clearly look like they were done at the kitchen table (because they were) to me are just bubba.
View Quote

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. No desire for rails or lights, just a shorter barrel, something to tame the flame, a weather resistant coating and a decent scope ( Don't need a 1000$ glass on a behind the seat truck gun) and a spare ammo carrier.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#40]
The word you are looking for is "sporterized."
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#41]
It is a very broad line, as no 2 people will agree on the definition.

It also involves time as well.

Some of those examples people complain about were common as dirt and quite cheap at one time.

Others were damaged in some way and their owners brought them back to serviceability in some manner that today's purists don't agree with.

I currently have a model 18 S&W revolver which had been neglected/abused and was rusted/pitted.  Other than that, it was still tight and in good condition.  All of the damage was basically cosmetic, none affecting function or reliability.  The pitting was so deep that if it had been polished away, it would have looked terrible.

Yes, I painted it.  I think it looks pretty good now.  Not perfect, but good.  Much better than if it had been reblued.  Some people think I should have been crucified, that such a gun shouldn't exist, it should have been properly destroyed.  Yet, many thousands of rounds have been fired through it.  (No fear of damage with that painted finish, I loan it out a lot).

I also have a 1911 clone which  some people think is bubbad, but I don't.  I built it from various parts obtained over time.  It looks great and functions well, but didn't come from a fancy factory with a model name and a fancy plastic box.

If I wanted to make a quality modification to a common firearm, I would go right ahead, and not worry about any one else's opinion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

IMO a bubba job has a clear and simple definition: taking a military arm and 'sporterizing' it.
View Quote

So Griffin & Howe, Holland & Holland, Rigby, etc. are just bubba run chop shops then?

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So Griffin & Howe, Holland & Holland, Rigby, etc. are just bubba run chop shops then?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly where they have to go when they use a shit definition.

Honestly, I get more wound up about someone cutting up a Remington 720 than any Mauser, Enfield, or Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stippling a Glock. That is the most bubba abortion of customizing ive ever seen. Everyone that does it basically took a decent gun and turned it resale value into ZERO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Worrying about re sale value
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Basically, once you take a gun and do something to it when it would have been cheaper to go buy a Savage at Wal Mart in the first place is Bubbaing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I rarely buy anything without thinking; "What if I had to sell this....."  Guns are a commodity like anything, I buy and sell them as my needs change, I never understood the whole "Never sell guns". I mean, I do have a couple that Ill never sell no matter what, but they have been in my family for a long time and are sentimental. But anything modern, is just another tool.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#47]
IMO Skulls and flames belong on bikes and cars. No place on a gun
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]
....dt
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Already been mentioned, but use of a Dremel qualifies.

I have an FR-8 in pretty good condition.  I like shooting it, but I'm a southpaw, and the rear sight gets in my way when cocking the gun (reaching over I hit the sight).  I think it would make a great scout rifle, if only there was a good way to mount a scout scope, and get that rear sight block out of the way (it is one piece with the receiver).  If I ever did it, I'd have a gunsmith do it.  I'd hate to ruin the rifle, though.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is no hard and fast rule but for me it'd be a few things-

1) Something which ruins the value of a potentially historical piece, like cutting down an enfield, or drilling and tapping a swedish mauser,
2) A poorly done but simple job, like someone who poorly installs a new part on an otherwise desirable gun
3) A poorly done/dangerous job, which could have worked if bubba knew what he was doing.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top