Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I checked and failed to find anyone who cares .
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless she can make the PERFECT sammich, fold shirts in 3 seconds, and change a diaper and send an email at the same time, she should focus her time elsewhere!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the BM not open to anyone who wants to run it?

You have to qualify for it.

Its THE marathon to run according to my girlfriend. She hopes to qualify one day. She's running her first this year.

That's pretty fucking low.

Unless she can make the PERFECT sammich, fold shirts in 3 seconds, and change a diaper and send an email at the same time, she should focus her time elsewhere!

I'd rather have a woman in shape, disciplined, and goal oriented enough to run the Boston marathon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wow WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT
View Quote

I bet this guy does.

Johnny Kelly ran 61 Boston Marathons.
Won twice, placed 2nd seven times.
Competed in the 1936 and 1948 Olympics.
In his 70's was still running 50 miles/week.
RIP

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How much does it cost to run a race like that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It happens more than you realize.  It's called running Bandit.   I had a friend who never paid for races, he just ran.   He could BQ running backwards.  It's part of the culture and part of the push back to huge, very expensive races.

Local marathons, $100.   Bigger events, $200 and up.   Running bandit is the counterculture to the banker with every piece of kit and gear that you can buy who want fully catered events with three free shirts and free lube.  The guy who tells you all about his training, diet, blog and general awesomeness.   I always paid to race because I could afford it but had friends who ran 2:40 bandit and just had fun. We were often drinking beer at the finish line when the banker finished.    See link for a good example of a lawyer runner...

not a bandit runner

Still no fucks given about a few people running on fake bibs.  They steal nobody's glory, nobody's finishing position in the race was affected.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The one in blue is Lauren.
View Quote

Nice work, Columbo.

In that first set of pics I'd say it's fairly easy to spot the "real" runners.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It happened in 1980.

ETA:

Female winner of the 1980 Boston Marathon. Those flabby thighs didn't run a marathon....she ran the last 1/2 mile.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2rr73h4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if a faker won?

Would never happen.

Anyone that could finish at the head of the pack wouldn't have to fake a number.  

People who can run a marathon that fast are pretty well known in the running comminty.  Top runners are INVITED, sometimes even BEGGED to run Boston by the BAA and sponsors.

It happened in 1980.

ETA:

Female winner of the 1980 Boston Marathon. Those flabby thighs didn't run a marathon....she ran the last 1/2 mile.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2rr73h4.jpg

She didn't actually run.  She just crossed the finish line

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There was a charity event in Salt Lake when I lived there...

The "Rosie Ruiz" race... Awards were given to the most innovative cheater...

People would get on bikes, motorcycles, cars... And finish dramatically...

It was a charity event... And pretty funny...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They got their awesome new facebook profile picture and that is what is important here. Let them brag about being super athletes. Why does it matter? (Assuming that they didn't claim to have won or receive a prize.)

Rosie Ruiz won the Boston Marathon in 1980. She set the record for the fastest female time.

Rosie wasn't even sweating - she only ran the last 1/2 mile. She later admitted she didn't expect to win, she just wanted to cross the finish line but screwed up and jumped in too early.

She humiliated marathon organizers who had to fly the real female winner back to Boston and stage a fake Finish line crossing (for photos) and hold another awards ceremony. Ruiz supposedly qualified to run Boston by finishing the NY marathon, but that was questioned as well because she wasn't in any condition to run a marathon, so many suspect she cheated there too.

As a result of her stupidity they set up video monitoring the entire length of the race and started using RFID chips to track runners progress. It's not something they take lightly.

Does SLC have a subway system?

Rosie took the subway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone still get fired up over Barry Bremen?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
So in this thread unhealthy fat bodies make fun of people who have personal elite health goals?????

Just go order some more Gucci larue shit.  You'll surely shoot better and look cooler at the range
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So it's a marathon in Boston?

Seriously, why is one marathon of the exact same distance more elite than any other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its almost equivalent to a military poser.  

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/24065000/ngbbs4ff4b6c43870c.jpg

Running in a marathon you havent qualified for is almost like being a military poser?

Thats pretty extreme.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Its not just "a" marathon, its "the Boston Marathon"

Seriously, why is one marathon of the exact same distance more elite than any other?

Temperature, city elevation, and elevation change over the course (among other things) all play an enormous role in the challenges, not just distance.

In fact there is even a marathon in Ohio that is designed specifically to be "easy" to run so people can post good qualifying times. Perfectly flat, ran in cold weather, low city elevation, easy (and cheap) to staff since it's a one mile loop, etc.

Boston is "elite" mainly due to history.  But it does have some hills.  Someone can't run a perfectly flat course and then hit Boston and post the same time.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Running is actually really fucking expensive. I worked with a guy who was a competitive runner, he'd take leave every other weekend, he spent thousands every year on travel and race expenses.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
It's like non-industry folks getting into the Shot Show.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Temperature, city elevation, and elevation change over the course (among other things) all play an enormous role in the challenges, not just distance.

In fact there is even a marathon in Ohio that is designed specifically to be "easy" to run so people can post good qualifying times. Perfectly flat, ran in cold weather, low city elevation, easy to staff since it's a one mile loop, etc.

Boston is "elite" mainly due to history.  But it does have some hills.  Someone can't run a perfectly flat course and then hit Boston and post the same time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running in a marathon you havent qualified for is almost like being a military poser?

Thats pretty extreme.

Its not just "a" marathon, its "the Boston Marathon"

In fact there is even a marathon in Ohio that is designed specifically to be "easy" to run so people can post good qualifying times. Perfectly flat, ran in cold weather, low city elevation, easy to staff since it's a one mile loop, etc.

Also in the runners that it attracts.

But yeah the terrain is a whore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They don't start them in shifts? That seems stupid that the timer would start for everyone at once, but you have to wait for 2,000 people ahead of you to get moving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if a faker won?

They wouldn't

The elite runners get seeded so far ahead there is no way anyone would win unless some faker literally ran out and sprinted like a cheetah the last 1000 yards ahead of the Kenyans

Then there is the issue of RFID recording of start/stop times

They don't start them in shifts? That seems stupid that the timer would start for everyone at once, but you have to wait for 2,000 people ahead of you to get moving.

I think they're scanned as they cross the starting line.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Running is actually really fucking expensive. I worked with a guy who was a competitive runner, he'd take leave every other weekend, he spent thousands every year on travel and race expenses.
View Quote

How many people here buy $3000 larue costa loodus Wilson rifles every year to play dressup?

Hell we have hobbyists that think SHOT show is a gun show for them, and go to Vegas to see it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's actually nothing like that. Unless of course someone ran the entire marathon in that exact uniform while demanding salutes from each runner they pass...then maybe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't get it, why would someone go through the trouble and why does anyone really care?  Its not like any of them won.
View Quote

Qualifying, then running in the BM is an honor.  Sneaking in is akin to buying a bunch of medals and an old Army uniform, wearing it around, and bragging about it on FB.  Think Stolen Valor...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if a faker won?

They wouldn't

The elite runners get seeded so far ahead there is no way anyone would win unless some faker literally ran out and sprinted like a cheetah the last 1000 yards ahead of the Kenyans

Then there is the issue of RFID recording of start/stop times

Yes.

It's all RFID, and it's usually on your shoes.  Not the bib.   Bibs blow off sometimes
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, it's actually nothing like that. Unless of course someone ran the entire marathon in that exact uniform while demanding salutes from each runner they pass...then maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last 10k I ran some squared away ranger tab guy ran the whole fucking thing in bdu's and a loaded pack and helmet in boots.  All sorts of gear.

I couldn't get past the guy the last 5k

If he wasnt a real ranger, he was a fucking cyborg
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So in this thread unhealthy fat bodies make fun of people who have personal elite health goals?????

Just go order some more Gucci larue shit.  You'll surely shoot better and look cooler at the range
View Quote

FWIW, Im not fat, unhealthy or making fun of anyone.

But some of the comparisons being thrown around this thread are silly.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Facebook has turned the internet into a big peanut gallery where people can sit on their fat asses and get righteously indignant about stupid crap like this.  The bandits are not technically in the competition so they are not "cheating" because even if they cross the finish line they aren't taking someone else's time.  Just not finding anything to care about here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Facebook has turned the internet into a big peanut gallery where people can sit on their fat asses and get righteously indignant about stupid crap like this.  The bandits are not technically in the competition so they are not "cheating" because even if they cross the finish line they aren't taking someone else's time.  Just not finding anything to care about here.
View Quote

You're wrong, by them doing so, It makes it harder for someone to find their picture on the internet of them running/finishing the race. That is the same thing as stolen valor!

as previously posted above!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It happens more than you realize.  It's called running Bandit.   I had a friend who never paid for races, he just ran.   He could BQ running backwards.  It's part of the culture and part of the push back to huge, very expensive races.
View Quote

seems to me that unless they want the bib,  official T-shirt and an official time, it'd be almost impossible to stop this.  Most of the races I see around here are run on public roads. it'd be hard to say it wasn't a guy just out for a run when the race went by.  Not sure why the race runners would care either as they don't get the official time etc.

it's sort of stupid these people are printing or buying counterfeit bibs to imply they qual'd but there are about 9 million things that are more rage worthy. This is more eye-roll/head shake category
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance. Why would you need to make a fake bib? Are there only a certain amount of spots available or something?
View Quote

They actually let non-qualified runners take part in the race. No bibs, no registration fee, and they're not timed. They're in the last group to start, and organizers keep the finish line open until the last runner makes it through.

I think that's probably why counterfeit bibs piss people off.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I don't know if they are serious or not.  They probably are.  GD is fun until you realize how fucked up everyone is
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Of all the things to get worked up about...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

seems to me that unless they want the bib,  official T-shirt and an official time, it'd be almost impossible to stop this.  Most of the races I see around here are run on public roads. it'd be hard to say it wasn't a guy just out for a run when the race went by.  Not sure why the race runners would care either as they don't get the official time etc.

it's sort of stupid these people are printing or buying counterfeit bibs to imply they qual'd but there are about 9 million things that are more rage worthy. This is more eye-roll/head shake category
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that most people do not understand how serious people take the BM.

Our culture has made every marathon into a "fun run".

We are all about ourselves and never consider anyone else

I think that the anger of the runner is understandable but a little over the top.  This shit is just another obstical to contend with
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#30]
THAT DOES IT!!!...  NOW I REFUSE TO EVER WATCH MY FIRST EVER VIEWING OF THE BOSTON MARATHON, EVER!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

They are a maybe a bit exaggerated, but the points are sorta valid.  Also keep in mind there are several actual runners posting in the thread saying "no fucks given".  So part of it is a matter of perspective.  Also, it depends how principled you are on this specific issue.

I'm not even a runner, but I did try to play one on TV once.  

I've competed in other contests that had qualification requirements before you get to roll with the big boys, and yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if someone just showed up and played.  I busted my ass training every day and gave up a huge part of my life and spent untold amounts of time and money to get there, and I had to prove myself many times before I got to even show up to the big ones.  So fuck some piece of shit that thinks he's got a seat at the table, he doesn't.

However despite being pissed, it wouldn't be some outrage thing where I write a letter to the editor or lose sleep over it.  It's already a foregone conclusion that I'm going to kick his ass.  I'd be too focused on meeting my goal for that event (ya don't always show up to win, sometimes ya show up just to get better), or winning the whole shebang, or beating the guy who beat me last year, or impressing that one girl in the stands.  

And I'll meet anybody out for a beer after, even the guy who beat me 5 years in a row, or the guy who is a douchebag asshole that I hate and don't even like talking to.  Hell I'll even run a tab for the whole fucking bar.  

Some cockfag that faked his way in, he can eat my dick, I'll stand up on a table and point my finger at him and publicly humiliate him and then have the owner kick his ass out.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't he run in the BM?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Rosie took the subway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They got their awesome new facebook profile picture and that is what is important here. Let them brag about being super athletes. Why does it matter? (Assuming that they didn't claim to have won or receive a prize.)

Rosie Ruiz won the Boston Marathon in 1980. She set the record for the fastest female time.

Rosie wasn't even sweating - she only ran the last 1/2 mile. She later admitted she didn't expect to win, she just wanted to cross the finish line but screwed up and jumped in too early.

She humiliated marathon organizers who had to fly the real female winner back to Boston and stage a fake Finish line crossing (for photos) and hold another awards ceremony. Ruiz supposedly qualified to run Boston by finishing the NY marathon, but that was questioned as well because she wasn't in any condition to run a marathon, so many suspect she cheated there too.

As a result of her stupidity they set up video monitoring the entire length of the race and started using RFID chips to track runners progress. It's not something they take lightly.

Rosie took the subway.

Any runner of any repute knows the Rosie Ruiz story...

No... No subways in Utah...

Most people "cheated" by riding bikes or motorcycles...

It was all for charity... I am pretty sure they don't do it anymore... Most people showed up for the charity event, and actually walked or jogged the course... And some cheated like crazy in stupid and funny ways... I just remember bikes and motorcycles, and obvious cars with doors open and after the start, "runners" jumping in...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#36]

So, it would be more like some dude wearing "Cargo Pants" who is not a "Tier 1 Operator"?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is the BM not open to anyone who wants to run it?  
View Quote

Jump in runners were common and allowed until this year.  TONS of people jump in and run it since they used to keep the official numbers of runners low.  

This year they did not allow jump in runners.  Nor did they let anyone, including active Mil, run with rucks.  A bunch of charity ruck runners got blindsided by this with poor notification.  

Who cares if they jump in and run with a fake bib.  Better than getting arrested for running down the street just because it is marathon Monday.  

The excuse that they couldnt allow jump ins becasue of security is BS.  No one is packing 50 lbs of explosives in short shorts and a tank top.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea, there's tons of faggotry in the marathon game.  More than cycling.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Running the Boston Marathon is pretty much the pinnacle for serious runners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't get it, why would someone go through the trouble and why does anyone really care?  Its not like any of them won.

There's a lot more serious things to worry about in this world than running.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Either you have to qualify, or donate $10K to a charity. One of the guys from my office just ran it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either you have to qualify, or donate $10K to a charity. One of the guys from my office just ran it.

So let me get this straight.....it's just soooooo prestigious and such an accomplishment to get to run in it, but thousands of joe schmoe's can buy their way in and that's perfectly acceptable to the same people that are so butt hurt about someone running who "didn't earn it"?

Lol ok......sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Qualifying, then running in the BM is an honor.  Sneaking in is akin to buying a bunch of medals and an old Army uniform, wearing it around, and bragging about it on FB.  Think Stolen Valor...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you donate a few grand to charity....then stolen valor is ok, right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#43]

No.  The BM is an elite running event...
View Quote

LOL.  No.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow... no.

That was in no, way, shape, or form like stolen valor.

Some folks jumped in and ran for abit, who gives a shit?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The BM is not an entry-level running event.  Trust me on this one.
View Quote

Nor is it an 'elite' event.

As a former NCAA DI track athlete, I am unable to give a fuck about a few schmoes banditing a race.  In the men's race, there were probably 25 hardcore Africans, 4 American studs, a few Euros and Asians, one Mexican.....  There were probably 10 old school badasses in their 40's and 50's who still bust ass and were going for national age group records.  

The rest of the race is comprised of a bunch of weekend warriors who run 3:00 and never shut the fuck up in the office about running marathons.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Care-o-meter.........zero

Bread and circuses.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Marathons are lame and boring in the first place.
View Quote

This too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Would they be fined or arrested or something, or just disgraced and the next legitimate runner become the winner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if a faker won?

They'd be outed in about 3 seconds.

Would they be fined or arrested or something, or just disgraced and the next legitimate runner become the winner?

Everyone would immediately know because people who follow the sport know their are only maybe 10 legitimate threats to win a given major marathon, and in reality it is probably more like 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Have you ever earned something in your life that took a lot of hard work and dedication?
View Quote

If finishing a marathon defines you as a person, you are probably the kind of person who gets butt hurt about bandits jumping in a damn foot race.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Anyone that could finish at the head of the pack wouldn't have to fake a number.  

View Quote

And most of the legit marathoners have their name on their bibs.  Depends on the race of course.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top