BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/24/2014 5:09:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the BM not open to anyone who wants to run it?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn.    That's pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to qualify for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't get it, why would someone go through the trouble and why does anyone really care?  Its not like any of them won.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its THE marathon to run according to my girlfriend. She hopes to qualify one day. She's running her first this year.

That's pretty fucking low.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The one in blue is Lauren.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't get it, why would someone go through the trouble and why does anyone really care?  Its not like any of them won.
View Quote

They get to facebook it to their buddies...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Pardon my ignorance. Why would you need to make a fake bib? Are there only a certain amount of spots available or something?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Care-o-meter.........zero

Bread and circuses.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too many people messes with your time.

And getting to run it is a big deal, so people actually did the work to qualify really hate cheaters. Think of it like how legal immigrants view illegal immigrants.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
They got their awesome new facebook profile picture and that is what is important here. Let them brag about being super athletes. Why does it matter? (Assuming that they didn't claim to have won or receive a prize.)

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Running the Boston Marathon is pretty much the pinnacle for serious runners.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Only a certain amount of spots open, biggest marathon in country, highly desire able to many runners just to run in the race.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bread and circuses.
View Quote

No shit, who fucking cares?  They wanted to run a few yards and take a cool selfie, or they wanted to pound out 26.2 for the fuck of it?  Zero shits given either way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#16]
For now, she says she wants to find out who they are,and hopefully get them banned from future races.
View Quote

I don't think that's going to stop them
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can buy your way in...charities etc...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't really get the outrage.  What does it mess up?  You might see a different person in the online photos when you search by bib number, but it won't mess up the times or race stats because it should all be done by chip timing.

It's not a good thing to do by any means, but what's the real problem here, I'm genuinely curious?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
cheaters suck syphilitic cock
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
For now, she says she wants to find out who they are,and hopefully get them banned from future races.

They will make it a felony.  That'll fix 'em!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They don't seem to be rule followers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Aren't race times recorded by RFID chip? Even if there are imposters, only the real person with the chip will be on record.

Imagine running into one of these folks with the same number as you… awkward.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't really get the outrage.  What does it mess up?  You might see a different person in the online photos when you search by bib number, but it won't mess up the times or race stats because it should all be done by chip timing.

It's not a good thing to do by any means, but what's the real problem here, I'm genuinely curious?
View Quote

Nothing you are saying is wrong...but it's more about the principle of it.  Look at it like this...imagine there was a shooting competition that was only able to be attended if you qualified through other competitions to get there...and this competition was the one that all the best shooters in the world went to.  Jerry Miculek and the like...just being able to go and shoot with them is the dream of everybody who ever shoots competition...to be able to be on that stage, and to be good enough to be there takes immense dedication and training...and you finally made it.  You years of hard work paid off...then some dude throws on a smith and Wesson jersey, prints out a fake name tag, and goes and does it by cheating the system.  That's pretty much what happened.  Maybe not the best comparison as that would be almost impossible to get away with, but it is the best example I can think of that people on a shooting forum might be able to empathize with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Bandits happen in practically every marathon. I understand why organizers/participants want to curb the activity but the moral outrage is a bit much.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Guy in blue looks like a Steve.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I JUST WENT TO GO WIPE MY ASS TO MAKE SURE I DIDNT GIVE A SHIT. TOILET PAPER IS CLEAN, I WAS RIGHT NO SHITS
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess I don't understand the problem.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nothing you are saying is wrong...but it's more about the principle of it.  Look at it like this...imagine there was a shooting competition that was only able to be attended if you qualified through other competitions to get there...and this competition was the one that all the best shooters in the world went to.  Jerry Miculek and the like...just being able to go and shoot with them is the dream of everybody who ever shoots competition...to be able to be on that stage, and to be good enough to be there takes immense dedication and training...and you finally made it.  You years of hard work paid off...then some dude throws on a smith and Wesson jersey, prints out a fake name tag, and goes and does it by cheating the system.  That's pretty much what happened.  Maybe not the best comparison as that would be almost impossible to get away with, but it is the best example I can think of that people on a shooting forum might be able to empathize with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure if 15,000 people were in the competition.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Who cares?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No.  The BM is an elite running event... just qualifying is an achievement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

36,000 participated. About 9,000 of them did it for charity. Not all are "elite."
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And getting to run it is a big deal, so people actually did the work to qualify really hate cheaters. Think of it like how legal immigrants view illegal immigrants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People run bandit all the time. Who gives a fuck? They don't get a swag bag...they just run the course. They have health issues and they'll pay the same price for the ambulance ride as the guy who spent $100+ to get a free tech shirt and piece of paper with a number on it. The II analogy doesn't work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Zero fucks given
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bread and circuses.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.

But to someone, it's important.........it's just not important to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, bibs for Marathons do get bought and sold... I would not be surprised at all if there was an individual(s) out there making counterfeit bibs, putting up on craigslist they can't make it to the race and then selling "their" bib. Unsuspecting person buys it, and then there they are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

36,000 participated. About 9,000 of them did it for charity. Not all are "elite."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.marathonguide.com/news/regfeatures/BostonQualifying.cfm

I am a pretty avid runner, and I would never even attempt to qualify for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I had to wait an extra cycle at a red light today because a guy wasn't paying attention.   I care 1,000 times more about that than I do about this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see legal immigrants doing much about the illegal ones.

Just like I don't see the "good muslims" doing much about the terrorist muslims.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#41]
What if a faker won?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What if a faker won?
View Quote

They'd be outed in about 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Marathons are lame and boring in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow. Never would have thought people would go that low.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if a faker won?

Would they be fined or arrested or something, or just disgraced and the next legitimate runner become the winner?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What if a faker won?
View Quote

My guess is they wouldn't have a chip and it would be pretty damn obvious.  Also, if you were good enough to actually win, you wouldn't be using a counterfeit bib.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Its almost equivalent to a military poser.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Its THE marathon to run according to my girlfriend. She hopes to qualify one day. She's running her first this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless she can make the PERFECT sammich, fold shirts in 3 seconds, and change a diaper and send an email at the same time, she should focus her time elsewhere!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#50]
BM has always had a bunch of bandits. The course runs through two or three college campuses. Everyone has the day off for Patriots day, so some folks just get caught up and jump in. It's always been that way. The first question I got from the locals was "Did you finish?" I was like yeah, why would I not finish? A lot of them just think it's cool to run some of it and high five along the course route. I was told that estimates as high as 20K bandits run a portion or all of it.  Printing your own bib is just wrong,  The weren't wearing a chip so they didn't get an official time, but it screws up your photo search and what not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top