Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
So you cat like snatched a wild raccoon with your bare hands?

One of the early symptoms of Rabies is sluggish behavior.

Op, you have 48 hours to get the shots, I would not waste any time if I were you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
just take some colloidal silver, you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Fuck! This thread is really making me want to stop chasing after wild raccoons to pick them up! You guys take all the fun out of everything ....... except fruit plates.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Test him for rabies...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What were you gonna do with the raccoon when you caught him?

Test him for rabies...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Who was holding your beer?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Test him for rabies...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What were you gonna do with the raccoon when you caught him?

Test him for rabies...

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
so is the OP dead yet?

How long is this going to take?

Do I have time to get another cup of coffee?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't try catching 'coons.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
in for how painfull and what shots cost
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Just get the shots. At least they aren't in the stomach anymore.

I had them in the stomach as a kid, oh yeah turns out I was allergic to something in the serum so I had to have 2 shots to counter act the one shot; all in the stomach.

Funny thing, I learned don't play with wild animals. Also mentioning that you are allergic to rabies shots gets some funny looks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]
You are an idiot if you don't get the shots.  Rabies is 100% (accept one document case) fatal.   Why take the chance?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You have your advice, get the rabbies vaccine or risk your life.
View Quote

Rabbies is not something to mess with.
6 months from now you might say, I feel weird go to the Dr. and it could be too late the results from rabbies is DEATH.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude, ER, now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:28:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Enjoy the shots.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Raccoons are a toy breed of grizzly bear.  Handle them at your own risk.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:34:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, there's some good news.  If you piddlefuck around like a moron for a few more days and it turns out the thing was infected and you go symptomatic, there's a fairly new support regimen that stands a small chance of saving your life.  Most likely not and you'll be mostly fit only to drool and fill diapers when you're done, but your family will have a soft warm thing that looks like you to dress up on the holidays.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Wife got bit by a feral dog 15 years ago or so.  She got the shots.  They weren't fun but weren't the stomach ones anymore.  They did the wound site and in the thigh/butt.   Its not worth dying over.  Get the shots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Seriously though...go get medical treatment
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]
You're man enough to grab a coon and a few shots worry you?

I think it's 5 shots in the shoulder now.

Pussy
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey, there's some good news.  If you piddlefuck around like a moron for a few more days and it turns out the thing was infected and you go symptomatic, there's a fairly new support regimen that stands a small chance of saving your life.  Most likely not and you'll be mostly fit only to drool and fill diapers when you're done, but your family will have a soft warm thing that looks like you to dress up on the holidays.
View Quote

He could infect his wife, kids and pets before he showed any symptoms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Darwin finds a way sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Judgement call time.
More than likely the coon was fine and you will be fine.
But...
I dont believe they can test for rabies in humans and if they dont have the animal to test and feel its a high probable chance they just go ahead and start you on the rabies shots, which used to be a series of them administered in the stomach,
Not sure if that has changed now days or not though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you kill the raccoon? They can test its brain for rabies.

If you dont have the raccoon for them to test ,it probably wouldnt be a horrible idea to get to a doctor.

Did it attack you? Did you surprise or corner it? What led up to it biting you?

The garage door was open, it was looking for food up on the deck in the back of the gargage, I walked in from the outside, it saw me and ran down the stairs and towards freedom, and in the meantime I was putting on leather gloves.  With catlike skills I snatched it as it ran past me, but with decidedly uncatlike skills I allowed it to retaliate and snag my calf with its teeth.

Judgement call time.
More than likely the coon was fine and you will be fine.
But...
I dont believe they can test for rabies in humans and if they dont have the animal to test and feel its a high probable chance they just go ahead and start you on the rabies shots, which used to be a series of them administered in the stomach,
Not sure if that has changed now days or not though.

The shots are still administered to the stomach area, but now, they go through the anus to get to the abdomen.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you have a fear of water yet? Fear of the H2+O!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#25]
GET TO THE FUCKING DOCTOR RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Rabies risk is UNACCEPTABLE!

Hell I'll chip in a few dollars to help pay for the shots. Just go get them.

We don't need you to become a zombie and getting rabies is a worse fate than death itself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

in for how painfull and what shots cost
View Quote
This was mentioned a few times in this thread already

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Will shots be effective after possible infection?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran rabies control for Manatee County, Florida for ten years.  Coons can be rabid without showing any symptoms.  If it is not available to be tested then you get the shots.  MDs often don't know the procedures for handling this.  Contact your local health department.  Don't wait or 'play the odds'.

Yes, absolutely.

The virus travels very slowly through the body.  You get the vaccine NOW.  Don't try to reason your way through this.  The virus is present in the saliva and if it broke the skin with it's teeth you are a fool not to get treated.  As a doc, this is one of those no-brainers in medicine.  You can't always rely on the animal's behavior in determining if they are infected.  They may not show obvious signs of infection for up to 1 year after they become infected.  If the doc says you don't need treatment, get a second opinion.

CDC Rabies Postexposure Vaccinations

Rabies postexposure vaccinations consists of a dose of human rabies immune globulin and four doses of rabies vaccine given on the day of the exposure, and then again on days 3, 7, and 14. The vaccine is given in a muscle, usually in the upper arm. This set of vaccinations is highly effective at preventing rabies if given as soon as possible following an exposure.

If a person has previously received postexposure vaccinations or received preexposure vaccinations, only two doses of vaccine (on the day of exposure and then 3 days later) are needed. Human rabies immune globulin is not required. Your doctor and local health department will be able to guide you through the process.

CDC Rabies Postexposure Vaccination
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

After possible infection? Yes, you've been bit, and rabies is carried via the saliva - so you're going to get the shots unless you can bag the raccoon with its brain intact for evaluation.

Now if you meant possibly after symptoms arise - I don't think it works that way, by the time symptoms start it's likely too late, or at least the docs aren't willing to let you take that risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran rabies control for Manatee County, Florida for ten years.  Coons can be rabid without showing any symptoms.  If it is not available to be tested then you get the shots.  MDs often don't know the procedures for handling this.  Contact your local health department.  Don't wait or 'play the odds'.

After possible infection? Yes, you've been bit, and rabies is carried via the saliva - so you're going to get the shots unless you can bag the raccoon with its brain intact for evaluation.

Now if you meant possibly after symptoms arise - I don't think it works that way, by the time symptoms start it's likely too late, or at least the docs aren't willing to let you take that risk.

Correct, and the incubation period can be many months.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/-moG6JDmJdc

Op will get shots after seeing this.... Nasty shit!
View Quote

Cool video.  The OP is lucky in that the closer to the head you are bit, the faster the infection reaches the brain.  He was bit on the leg so this gives him a larger window to get the vaccinations.  The man in the video was bit on the head.  Much shorter incubation period.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Doctor. Now.
Don't be a retard.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am laughing so hard that OP didn't think you can get rabies vaccine after being bitten.  
View Quote

I wouldn't be too hard on him.  Since he has no medical background, how is he supposed to know?  That's what we're here to do--educate him.  But if it takes some ridicule to get him to the doctor then so be it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I say this with zero humor.  Go to the doctor and get rabies shots.  An animal can have rabies and show zero signs.  If it had rabies, then you will most likely die if you don't get the shots before you show symptoms.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wonder if rabies was ever developed as a weapon?
View Quote

The virus is very temperature sensitive and denatures quickly outside the body.  If the saliva is aerosolized and gets you directly in the eye or an open wound then that could cause transmission, but it would have to be an immediate entry.  So there is no way to weaponize it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Obamacare has made those shots free now right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Wait a minute.....you wasted everclear?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The virus is very temperature sensitive and denatures quickly outside the body.  If the saliva is aerosolized and gets you directly in the eye or an open wound then that could cause transmission, but it would have to be an immediate entry.  So there is no way to weaponize it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they usually look for a faster incubation period for bioweapons.  The relative ease of prevention via vaccination would also be a point against.  While high lethality is nice, nobody wants to wait a month for the enemy to start dropping dead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can indeed be weaponized.

You weaponize both the disease and a transmission host.

Think "bat bomb", only instead of bats carrying incendiaries that go off all over town, it's bats that are hyper-aggressive and highly effective carrier-vectors of super-rabies.

Crazier weaponization schemes have been implemented on real weapons.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but rabies vaccine NOW.  Period fucking dot.

The vaccine is NOT too late at this point.  Rabies travels 'backwards' through nerve axons into the central nervous system.  Once in the CNS it is basically fatal - the Milwaukee protocol is a last-ditch desperation effort.  However, the retrograde axonal transport takes awhile, which usually gives enough time for the body to develop antibodies against the virus before it reaches the CNS...if the vaccine is given early.  ETA I see this has been covered above, as well as the immune globulin given to bridge the time gap before your body begins producing its own antibodies.

GET THE VACCINE.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Do your family a favor and lock yourself in the corn crib now, since you seem intent on ignoring valid medical advice about a 100% fatal illness.

Unless you're just trolling, that is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#40]
You have two choices:

Choice 1:  Man up, go to a doctor, tell them your were bitten by a raccoon, and get the rabies vaccine.

Choice 2:  Answer the following three questions:

1.  Are you thirsty?  

If you aren't, worry. Rabies was once called hydrophobia because animals with rabies don't tend to drink water.

2.  Are you foaming at the mouth?

More than usual, I mean.  If you are, worry.

3.  Do you really want to take the chance of dying by one of the worse possible means imaginable?

If yes, do nothing.  

If no, see Choice 1.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Rabies is 100 percent fatal, comprende? (well actually there has been a single known survivor in all of human history). so do with that information what you want. Id be taking my ass to the ER

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I believe they usually look for a faster incubation period for bioweapons.  The relative ease of prevention via vaccination would also be a point against.  While high lethality is nice, nobody wants to wait a month for the enemy to start dropping dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent points.  It's also not easily transmissible from human to human like, say, smallpox.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Take it to the vet, it's going to need shots.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Tagging this one.

I'm on mobile - what is OP join date. I'm trying to gauge if he's trolling.

Late 2012 or after ... Trolling

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just want to point out that rabies is a virus.

I bet the alcohol would have done in most if not all bacterial nasties, but I don't think it does shit for rabies.
View Quote

As deadly as it is, rabies is a very fragile virus. Soap and water will kill it. That said, do you want to take chances with the worst death imaginable?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#49]
If you no longer have the Racoon, you need the Rabies shots.

100% fatal when it is possible to diagnose someone has it.

Your life is about the suck during the shots but at least you will live.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No bleeding, no doctor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No bleeding, no doctor.

Rabies virus is smaller than a blood cell. Can get in through a break in the skin too small to bleed.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top