Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 3:36:55 AM EDT
I found a 317 Airlight 8 shot 22lr revolver for sale. 10.8oz 8 shot 22lr. The price is $449.99 which is pretty good for one of these. A NIB one just sold for $861 on gunbroker. I think I can talk them down to $399 or $425.

Looks like this:

The lock up on it is great but I can tell the gun is well used. The finish is a little fubar and in some places, down to the bare metal. Almost like it was cleaned improperly. I have heard some cleaning solvents are really hard on the finish of these guns. Can anyone confirm this? What would my options be for a refinish? I think it would look pretty slick with an OD green frame and a black cylinder.

Also the double action trigger pull is stupid heavy. How much should I expect to pay to have it lightened up?

UPDATE:

Okay I ended up picking it up for $420 out the door today and headed over to the range.

At 7 yards it shoots about 4-5 inches to the right and 6 to 8 inches low. Happens with a variety of ammo. Had multiple people shoot it so I know it wasn't just me. Is this something S&W can fix if I send it in?

ETA

Sorry I said low I meant it shoots HIGH

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy it and cerocoat it. I would clean out the action and see if getting the gunk that is inevitably packed in to it out improves the trigger, if not you can swap springs around (apex tactical) and improve it that way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Brand new condition one at the last show for $500.00. $450.00 for one that is beat up is pretty high.

Thought about buying it but bought a SP101 in pretty much new shape for $400 instead.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You're not going to be able to help the trigger pull much without affecting reliability since it's a rimfire.
Since it has fixed sights, you will have to find a round that shoots to point of aim.
Mine liked Remington subsonics and was fairly accurate with them.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The finish doesn't last on those

Buy it and send it to S&W for a refinish
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're not going to be able to help the trigger pull much without affecting reliability since it's a rimfire.
Since it has fixed sights, you will have to find a round that shoots to point of aim.

http://imageshack.com/a/img684/2843/p1010147z.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a Western Diamondback. Did you eat it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to have one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one and like it....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife carries one. She is a good shot with it and they are accurate beyond what I would expect . Amazing gun, you will like it!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://imageshack.com/a/img684/2843/p1010147z.jpg
View Quote

Agree on the springs.  I have a 351PD in .22 WMR that I love.  Changed out to some lighter springs and the trigger is damn near perfect, but it only reliably ignites around 5 out of 7 rounds.  Damn shame too, as with the lighter springs I can rapidly dump the cylinder and any rounds that do come out all land within a couple inches of each other.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, they have a clear coat over the aluminum. If you try to take the carbon off it is easy to take off the clear. You are correct. The factory trigger pull is god awful. I got a reduced spring kit from somewhere. Wolf springs I think. Fairly easy to install and really made a nice trigger. Do not pry the plate off. Tap it until it pops loose. Very easy to damage. I think the reduced springs do lesson reliability. Life is full of choices. On mine the sights were not even close on horizontal plain. Smith said too bad so sad it is within our spec, which is apparently a car at 10 feet. A crimson trace grip fixed that issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy it and cerocoat it. I would clean out the action and see if getting the gunk that is inevitably packed in to it out improves the trigger, if not you can swap springs around (apex tactical) and improve it that way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
after action report first post
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't take this the wrong way, but did you and the other shooters try it in single action mode too? Shooting low and to the right is indicative of jerking the trigger and/or tightening your grip and/or too much finger on the trigger (common with the small grips on J frames).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I know the 317 is out of production so I guess the price point vs how much you desire one comes into play much like wanting a python so as far as that goes.....

I have the 642 model in .38 special. On the finish for the aluminum alloy light weights, yes, the clear coating can be damaged. You want to use synthetic cleaners and lubes on them. Smith itself makes some bore and action cleaner and also Hoppes elite is another one I use. You want to stay away from ones containing ammonia. I use a moly-Teflon lube on all my metal to metal contact points. A quick blast of rem-oil and a wipe down to finish it off.

As for your POA and POI, I can't say as I haven't fired it. Lifting the POI on something other than a .22 I'd say use higher velocities or try a heavier grain bullet. The last resort for a DYI would be to slowly file the front sight down some to lift it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't take this the wrong way, but did you and the other shooters try it in single action mode too? Shooting low and to the right is indicative of jerking the trigger and/or tightening your grip and/or too much finger on the trigger (common with the small grips on J frames).
View Quote

Sorry I accidentally said low. It shoots 6 to 8 inches high. I had to aim low.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top