Quoted:
Benefactor Member
View Quote

Another one here!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 80's? 90's? During the Clinton admin, it felt like the NRA was more about appeasement and showing a kinder gentler side than Charlton Heston proclaiming "From my cold dead fingers" and the rise of the Machiavellian Wayne LaPierre.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I support just about any group or individual that supports my 2A rights but no one has done more than the NRA in the last, what, 20 years?  

They went from Fudds who thought no one needed EBRs ...

As a guy who's been a member for well over 20 years, I remain befuddled as to where this common meme comes from.

The 80's? 90's? During the Clinton admin, it felt like the NRA was more about appeasement and showing a kinder gentler side than Charlton Heston proclaiming "From my cold dead fingers" and the rise of the Machiavellian Wayne LaPierre.

What?  

The NRA fought the '94 AWB tooth and nail.  Wayne La Pierre personally lobbied President Fuckstain against passage of the AWB.  The NRA staged media events to bring attention to the fact that the operating systems of EBRs were no different than sporting weapons with live fire demos and other events designed to educate the public and MSM.

In the '80s, the American Rifleman had article after article about EBRs-one of the best was written by Pete Dickey about 1983.  It reviewed about every foreign and domestic semi-auto AW clone available on the civilian market at the time.

The NRA fought an uphill battle because EBRs weren't as popular as they are now.  Yet, they still towed the line and hung in there doing what they could with probably half the membership they have now.  The NRA has evolved for sure, but I've never felt they were "appeasers" as long as I've been following them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Endowment member checking in....
View Quote

+1 here

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.  You don't see that pole smoking faggot shitbird Bloomberg spending his millions to stop Duck Hunters of America, do you???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus the NRA makes liberals cry and if that was their only purpose I'd still be a member.

This.  You don't see that pole smoking faggot shitbird Bloomberg spending his millions to stop Duck Hunters of America, do you???

And that is how you know it's worth it.  Without the NRA bloomberg would be millions richer!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NRA Life Member checking in
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
nope, never have never will, too much spam
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
There are too many people trying to gut the 2A for me to not support the most prominent gun rights organization...even if I don't agree with everything they do (or don't do).  

So yeah, I support them 100% and continue to do so...but I am also a life and/or annual member of 2AF, GOA, and VCDL...because they are also fantastic organizations.

Money talks in this fight.  Bitching here about your least favorite anti-2A politician does jack shit to help support the 2A.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weak excuse. You can opt out of that and they won't call you or send you junk mail. So what's your real excuse?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

U MAD?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't support corrupt organizations

Good, stay the fuck out

We've always had this same situation:

The NRA is a powerful gun rights organization, one of the most powerful political lobbies in the USA.

The liberals hate the NRA more than any other lobby in Washington

those are known facts.

Then we have this zoo of elite tacticool gun owners coming up with wierd illogical reasons to not join

I think it's great - I think if the NRA filled up with people like you it would be a disaster

stay out forever

U MAD?

I guess his sarcasm meter is broken.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Weak excuse. You can opt out of that and they won't call you or send you junk mail. So what's your real excuse?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who fucking cares? This is America right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if you are a gun owner and are not supporting a gun rights organization, then you are a freeloader who doesn't give a shit about defending liberty. That's why being an NRA member is a requirement at my local rifle club.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because if you are a gun owner and are not supporting a gun rights organization, then you are a freeloader who doesn't give a shit about defending liberty. That's why being an NRA member is a requirement at my local rifle club.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. At my local gun club, you just get a discount for joining if you're a NRA member.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not receiving it, but knowing that your money pays for it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ok I see. Part of liberty is freedom of choice. And even though people aren't members they do make donations.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As has been explained literally hundreds of times here, those mailers make money, or they wouldn't do them.  Some of the promotional stuff is even done at no cost up front, with the company running the promotion merely getting a percentage of money that comes in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As has been explained literally hundreds of times here, those mailers make money, or they wouldn't do them.  Some of the promotional stuff is even done at no cost up front, with the company running the promotion merely getting a percentage of money that comes in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

give up..they'll  just find another excuse.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#17]
My Grandfather was a Life Member, my Dad was a Life Member, and as of 2013 I became a Life Member.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#19]
yes, I am a member
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope. I help the fight by other means. The spamming is way to much and there are different organizations who don't spam as much
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
paying for a $750 life membership is the same as paying yearly dues 21 years in advance

trust me, there is no business or organization on the face of the planet earth than wouldn't want all the members to pay 21 years into the future

money has time value
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the whole point of the nra is to raise money for our cause. How effective they are with that money is up for debate but all the life members are no longer paying ( at least for membership) so they aren't really helping the cause.

paying for a $750 life membership is the same as paying yearly dues 21 years in advance

trust me, there is no business or organization on the face of the planet earth than wouldn't want all the members to pay 21 years into the future

money has time value
yes but it can be had for as little as $300. And I understand that many still contribute. Hence my statement in parenthesis

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I was a member for a year and that shit got real old real fast
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Life member

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#25]
No way.  Fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.

Most here remember the NRA of the late 90s that seemed very soft on gun control and will vilify them for it. Fewer know that the NRA was considered an almost extremist, unreasonable no compromise group during much of the 1980s. Like everything else, it's fluid and sometimes they swing too far in one direction. They're still the loudest voice we've got.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Absolutely.  Everyone on this site should be a member.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

NRA fought like hell in the 90s.

The big sea change in NRA came after the '68 GCA.

My understanding of events: they gave thoughtful advice on the GCA only to realize the politicians rolled 'em. After that NRA had an internal fight over being basically a marksmanship/safety/competition type org or activist. The activist wing won early '70s.

Note that they influenced the '34 NFA, saving handguns at the time, and back then the politicians actually went with the NRA advice. NRA expected the same sort of good will negotiation in '68 but realized they were played.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Husband is a member...has been for years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Most here remember the NRA of the late 90s that seemed very soft on gun control and will vilify them for it. Fewer know that the NRA was considered an almost extremist, unreasonable no compromise group during much of the 1980s. Like everything else, it's fluid and sometimes they swing too far in one direction. They're still the loudest voice we've got.
View Quote

I don't remember this "soft" NRA in the '90s.

I do remember that there was popular support for an AWB. Perceptions were different then, and many supported various gun restrictions that are not supported now.

What I recall is NRA pointing out that the banned guns were not functionally different then legal guns. The approach was to educate on the issue, and it was tricky since popular opinion was not on our side.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I donate to the NRA-IRA multiple times a year, however I am not a NRA member. I was years ago but let my membership lapse.

When they start going directly after the ATF and the NFA I will become a member again. They need to do more to shut down the ATF and the NFA. Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Benefactor Member
View Quote

This and wife is a Life member
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Been a member my whole life. My dad signed me up when I was a kid, and I've been paying for my memberships since I was 12 and started mowing neighbors lawns for money.

Once my dad thought I could do a good job mowing our yard, he advised me to reach out to neighbors. Rule was, I had to make enough to buy my NRA membership that year, or I wouldn't get to go hunting. Anything leftover, I could keep. A couple yards covered the membership, and when I realized how easy that was, I just did it weekly like any other chore.

In hindsight, he did a great job instilling a good work ethic, while simultaneously making me give a shit about guns and gun rights.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a Benefactor Life Member

My Daughter has been a Life Member since she was a kid.

I gave my SIL a Life Membership after they got engaged.  

I gave my Granddaughter a Life Membership for her 1st birthday.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Endowment Life Member
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't, actually.  Every mailer/promo the NRA sends out makes them money.  Otherwise they'd stop doing it.

I understand if you're pissed over how they handled the CO recalls.  That's no reason to spread lies about how membership money is spent, however.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Another NRA life member  

They aren't perfect, but the best most effective we have on the national level.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you're not a member? Why not?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Lifer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#43]
< Life Member here
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I donate to the NRA-IRA multiple times a year, however I am not a NRA member. I was years ago but let my membership lapse.

When they start going directly after the ATF and the NFA I will become a member again. They need to do more to shut down the ATF and the NFA. Flame suit on.
View Quote

What do you think they can do about ATF or NFA?

They have to have a plan that can actually work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It doesn't, actually.  Every mailer/promo the NRA sends out makes them money.  Otherwise they'd stop doing it.

I understand if you're pissed over how they handled the CO recalls.  That's no reason to spread lies about how membership money is spent, however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lies? Where do they get the money for the spam?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Life!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#47]
It's the biggest thing we've got. I'm a member and have paid up for about 5 years in advance.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm too pretty....

actually, I am just poor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Of course.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Benefactor Member
View Quote

Same here. Great to meet you
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top