Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2014 6:56:59 AM EDT
Retirement has not stopped former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens from attacking basic individual rights. In a recent opinion article, he advocated a position of officially changing the constitution so that only government-managed entities can argue that they have a right to be armed.

The 94-year-old Stevens’ inflammatory comments were published in the Washington Post, titled “The five extra words that can fix the Second Amendment.” The activist justice has been a longtime advocate of undercutting the right to keep and bear arms, but now that he is off the bench, he is making his bias against the Bill of Rights known.

His idea of “fixing” the 2nd amendment is to add language that diminishes it to only covering people “when serving in the militia.” Justice Stevens does not believe an individual actually has a right to self-defense — not even in their own domicile — as was apparent from his dissent in both District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago.

Stevens’ proposed replacement for the current 2nd Amendment reads as follows:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.”

Of course, his revision would gut the understanding of the current text entirely. Stevens’ vision of gun ownership is that it is more of a privilege than a right — something conditionally granted upon service to the state, and something that can be heavily restricted on any arbitrary whim.

As he argues in his article, the founding fathers supposedly drafted the amendment to protect the “state militia” — the military — in its ability to bear arms. The most basic logic test would suggest that such an amendment would be unnecessary, and a historical test would reveal that such thinking was non-existent in any of the framers of the constitution.

The idea that America’s early revolutionaries would have disarmed their own mothers and wives because they weren’t viewed as proper candidates to join the militia is absurd.

Stevens includes emotion-laden arguments about how too much freedom is responsible for the deaths of children. He seems oblivious to the failures of government gun control, as well as the historical outcomes of disarmed societies that were subjected to tyrannical governments. Living in a police state poses a far deadlier threat than all school shooters in history combined.

Stevens left the high court after a lengthy tenure from 1975-2010. He was first nominated to the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals by President Richard Nixon and then nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Gerald Ford. Even after all these years, he continues to make them proud.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
can I propose gutting him?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
He was first nominated to the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals by President Richard Nixon and then nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Gerald Ford.

Vote Republican it will slow the decline of muh freedoms

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am sure of natural causes, he will be crossing the river Styx soon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I won't post what I'm thinking because today is Easter Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Eat my asshole cuntwad
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
94 years old?  Yeah, his mind is gone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm thinkin' this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
He needs fixing, not the Constitution.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He was first nominated to the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals by President Richard Nixon and then nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Gerald Ford.

View Quote

Moby ACTIVATE!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]
FPNI, he's old and decrepit, can't listen to him and he's biased as anything
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
At least he proposes doing it the right way, as opposed to Warren Burger's "just ignore it" advice.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck that cocksucker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is how corrupt Justice Steven is.

He acknowledges how easy ti would be to correct the 2nd to match his view, but that means it was just as easy to write the 2nd to avoid that interpertation.

Yet, he some how reaches that interpretation anyway in his dissent. If he wants to fix it fine, but his decision in DC vs Heller he abdicated his responsibilities.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#16]
We won't have to worry about him long.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#17]
And his opinion is based on what?  As far as I can tell the founders meant that the people should be armed as a defense against the eventual tyranny of government. That whole Federalsit papers thing...

"Whereas civil-rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as military forces, which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms."
-- Tench Coxe, in Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution
View Quote

I'm just wondering how he formed his opinion and on what research it was based? Sounds to me like he just pulled it out of his ass...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm thinkin' this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinkin' this.

Me three
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We won't have to worry about him long.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Nope.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's see them try...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought the bill of rights where individual rights not gov,state,or city but INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS.and if they are, Then the 2nd amendment has to be individual right!!!!its as clear as 1+1=2
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#23]
FPNI.  AND TPNI.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Like someone already mentioned...its Easter and I cannot tell you how I feel about these statements. However, I think it would involve a threaded barrel, a butt and an air compressor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I thought the bill of rights where individual rights not gov,state,or city but INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS.and if they are, Then the 2nd amendment has to be individual right!!!!its as clear as 1+1=2
View Quote

The BoR grants nothing....it is a list of enumerated rights that the .gov may not violate.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I'm certainly glad the justice emeritus wasn't one of our founding fathers that wrote the law. He was just some hired jackass to enforce that law.

...and now that he's retired, his opinion doesn't mean dog squat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Just go away and die.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Senility is a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#29]
John Paul Stevens needs to put his other foot in the grave.

Just another jackass exercising his 1st to destroy the 2nd.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Another wack job that should keep his dementia out of politics.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#31]
The problem with Stevens' opinion is that Federal Law says that a large portion of the population are IN THE MILITIA!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I propose a rope , a branch and a tall tree!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I read his article. No way in hell he wrote that.

And whoever wrote it completely misconstrued Miller.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, I'm certainly glad the justice emeritus wasn't one of our founding fathers that wrote the law. He was just some hired jackass to enforce that law.

...and now that he's retired, his opinion doesn't mean dog squat.
View Quote

Except for the fact that the media and Bloomturd types will quote him regardless.

Guy cannot croak soon enough.   Pile of crap.   Maybe he will get robbed or beaten by a young street tough and he will learn the value of being able to defend ones self with a firearm?   Yeah yeah, some are more equal than others and he probably owns at least one gun like Finestine.    

Whats the frequency kenneth...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#36]
This was liberal thinking back in 1975. He's a senile demented 94 year old man.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Drop dead judge.  America doesn't need people like you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Ever notice how many of these guys become sudden liberals once they get a SCOTUS seat?

Either they have worked their whole careers as secret liberals, making decisions that go against their moral fiber and interpretation of the law, waiting for a shot at one of the big chairs and guessing that their shot is going to come during a republican controlled time in politics so they can be nominated and confirmed as a "conservative justice".
Or, they are ideological conservatives until they get there and somebody plops down a folder of pictures and docs showing some major impropriety (live boy or dead girl) and says under their breath "so, you are gonna play ball.....Right?"
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Death will fix him.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#40]
didn't that fucker help write the constitution?
old geezer just needs to do us all a favor and leave
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
At least he proposes doing it the right way, as opposed to Warren Burger's "just ignore it" advice.  
View Quote

Actually aren't modifications to the Constitution supposed to originate in congress?

I suppose if he meant congress should follow the process to change it then you are correct.  In any event, consider the ramifications.  The entire BORs was written by the founding fathers because the representatives from the various states didn't trust a large centralized government and wanted limits on that government.  And now we want to dilute those limits because???

Sad stuff.  I agree his mind is gone.'

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#43]
not a problem.  we will just form 100s, 1000s, 10s of thousands of militias :)
an option unless they try to define militia as a government controlled entity.
but in all seriousness,  this is bullshit
the framers of the constitution did what they did so the people can keep the government in check.
you can't rewrite it as it is against everything this country is founded on, independance and freedom.
they continue to spout this bullshit that it should be an evolving document that should be modernized to keep up with changing society.
i say it is what makes us who we are and our foundation must not be altered, EVER!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#44]
These people really don't seem to understand that what they're proposing would touch off possibly the bloodiest civil war in recent history.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#45]
So, if we need to amend the 2A to gut it, then that would seem to invalidate his logic in the Heller dissent, no?

Internal consistency is not a big deal for libs, though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Of the four boxes, the ammo box is the only one we still own.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lets not forget that the idiot Bush nominated Roberts, who failed to strike down Obamacare because of an issue that wasn't even argued in court.

At the end of the day the Republicans are  Progressives just like the Democrats.  They may be 1000 times better than Democrats but that ain't saying much because 1000 times zero is still zero.

The courts are just as corrupt as the Legislative and Executive branches of government.

This is what we get when we allow rulers to have power over our lives.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Me three
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinkin' this.

Me three

Good tree, thanks for not letting me get distracted and moonbat hostile this morning. He is risen!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe he should actually read what our founding fathers had to say about the 2nd amendment.It just goes to show you just because
you are on the highest court in the land you can still be a complete moron.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Just goes to show intelligence is not a prerequisite.

Anyone who believes these assholes don't judge based on personal bias, versus actual legal documentation, is a fool.

And we allow them to do it.  Guess we are all fools.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top