Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2014 6:28:27 AM EDT
So I finally blew out my back deadlifting HEAVY.  I have a herniated L5 that is pressing on nerves. I wound up in the hospital for about 24 hours because they though it may be cauda equina syndrome due to the herniation as I was unable to pee. Turns out it was just the pain thank God. I have been unable to work(fireman) since it happened.

So on Wednesday I am having an epidural spinal injection of steroids in the lumbar spine. It is supposed to shrink the swelling that is causing the pain and numbness in my back and legs. I am more than a little apprehensive about having a needle stuck in my spine.

Has anyone here had it done?  Is it painful?  What can I expect?  Does it relieve the pain? Will the numbness and pain go away?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you by chance do crossfit
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Temp fix even if it works.

And pray that the doc has his shit together and doesn't hit the nerve with the needle.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had several epidurals, they didn't do anything for me. Degenerative disc disease L-1/2/3. Blown discs in between. My chiropractor is the only thing that keeps me walking. I know my limitations. I can lift as heavy as I can but I can't twist with a #2 pencil.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep...had a series of three over the winter for an L4-L5 hernia.

Going in for surgery in a few weeks for a discectomy.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had it for 2 blown disks in the same area, but there is also a vertebrae problem with me. Unfortunately, after 3 rather painful bilateral injections, I had ZERO results. As already mentioned, its only a very temporary, very expensive remedy. I've found for me, so far, the best thing is rest when the pain is excruciating and exercise a lot when the pain is bearable. I  aim to manage this way as long as possible until a spinal fusion is a neccesity. All back injuries are different, so of course YMMV. I wish you the best of luck, I know how frustrating it is, I'm a fellow firefighter and can't stand being off the line.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife had one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
No but I nearly fainted when my wife got one 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the pain blocks...
They used anesthesia....when they stuffed the needle in my spine,it brought me out from under
the anesthesia every time....was the worst pain i have ever had and
i will never go thru anything like that again...just my experience...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry op
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a ruptured C5/C6 cervical disc,  I've had three cortisone  injections, I don't think they did anything. Been a year and half since I injured myself, the pain has gone from an 8 to a constant 4/5. I've just accepted I'll have this pain forever. Good luck though, I know they work for some people.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one at L4-5. Helped a little for a couple weeks.  Was very sore the next day.  Procedure didn't hurt a bit thanks to the 100mg of IV Demerol they gave me first.  Holy shit that was amazing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I had one that they ran Diluadin  (sp) in for a week after surgery. Never felt anything.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Good question to ask in the maternity forum.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I finally blew out my back deadlifting HEAVY.  I have a herniated L5 that is pressing on nerves. I wound up in the hospital for about 24 hours because they though it may be cauda equina syndrome due to the herniation as I was unable to pee. Turns out it was just the pain thank God. I have been unable to work(fireman) since it happened.

So on Wednesday I am having an epidural spinal injection of steroids in the lumbar spine. It is supposed to shrink the swelling that is causing the pain and numbness in my back and legs. I am more than a little apprehensive about having a needle stuck in my spine.

Has anyone here had it done?  Is it painful?  What can I expect?  Does it relieve the pain? Will the numbness and pain go away?

Thanks!
View Quote

Everything depends on details not readily available.

Let's reasonably assume you are satisfied that you have been adequately examined and evaluated and are happy with your care -in which case treatment has been carefully considered and you are a good candidate for these injections.

I have seen them produce great improvements very rapidly.  Occasionally patients do not properly restrain their activities/exertions afterward and re-injure themselves very quickly -sometimes before the anesthetic in the injection even wears off.

The injection includes anesthetic intended to make the procedure more comfortable, help indicate that that the injection reached the right general location, and to provide some lasting pain relief.  Be careful to realize the improvement you experience quickly does not mean you are healed and can go do whatever you want.

ETA:
I'm a chiropractor and while these injections are the right treatment at certain points they are not my preferred starting point for care even in relatively severe cases.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had a 8-10 of them.  Some helped, some didn't do much.  None lasted for than a few weeks.

When my back problems first drove me to see a doc, she casualy said at one point "You'll be surprised at the level of pain you can live with."

She was right........

For those of you who think the needle hitting a nerve hurts, wait until you have a discogram.    If nothing else, it made me realize I could be hurting a whole lot more!

FWIW - For me it is L4 to S1 and I am over 2" shorter than I used to be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had two sets done. The first one, I was 90% better in a few weeks. They tried to give me anesthesia for the procedure, but it didn't do shit.

Yeah it hurt but it wasn't unbearable.

Nothing like having your underwear pulled down, butt in the air for everyone to see and having several nurses yell "don't clench! Don't clench!"

A few years later I had a second round for another problem spot, they knocked me completely out. No improvement after 2 injections.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Temp fix even if it works.

And pray that the doc has his shit together and doesn't hit the nerve with the needle.

View Quote

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#20]
What are your options?

1) Live with it

2) have surgery

3) try the shots

It was a no brainier for me, the least risk, the least invasive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I had one before an emergency cesarean section with my daughter in 2011. And honestly it didn't hurt at all. Just breath in and out when the anesthesiologist tells you to and you should be fine. I felt nothing from mid chest down and watched in the operating room. It was odd knowing I was being gutted but didn't feel a thing. Just some tugging as he pulled my daughter out. If it muted all that, your back should feel great
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I had several of them over a three year period. For me, the effects began to last shorter and shorter, and last year I ended up with a fusion of L4, L5, and S1. Twelve months later, I am just now getting back into shape.

Good, competent doc? Do it, to exercise an option.

From some of the comments above, holy carp. There must be some shaky-handed docs out there, and that's scary!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had several over the past few years for some bad discs in the lower lumber/upper sacral region.  Started a few years ago.  The ESI's usually stopped all pain for two months, then the pain would start to creep back in, would deal w/ the pain for the next two months, give up and get another ESI.

Finally got to the point where I could only walk for ten minutes and I'd be in tears and this was after taking hydrocodone and oxycodone.  Went to a back doc, she suggested a microdiscectomy and off we went.  Best thing I ever did.  

I had ZERO pain for a couple of weeks which she said would happen but she also warned me the pain would come back but should be a lot less of it.  She was right.  I will always have pain but it's manageable.  Fusions are probably in my future.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Made my pain significantly worse, had pins and needles feeling in my feet for at least a month, shooting pain down to my knee on the right side for at least a month. Then to top it off had a scare with a possible spinal infection from it. I have nearly the same thing, 7.5 mm bulge in L5-S1 with a torn annulus impinging on the nerve. Truthfully the best thing I have found has been a good chiropractor and working out a lot strengthening the core. Nothing is going to get rid of the pain completely unfortunately you'll have to learn to live in a constant state of 3-5 level of pain and learn what things aggravate it. Through working out and going to my Chiro when I feel it start to get bad I'm off the pills and back to leading a fairly normal life with it.

If you do decide to get the injection it really is pretty simple and quick, bring you in have you lie on the table face down then they prep the area cleaning it. Doc comes in and puts the needle in place to numb it (Hurts and stings for a brief period) then after its numb they inject the steroid into your spine. Lots of pressure and for me caused shooting pain down my right leg that lasted for at least a month, but no pain at the injection site. Good luck. Just don't do a nerve test! those things freaking suck!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I have a problem with foraminal stenosis in my lower spine. It got bad enough that I was experiencing pain in my left hip and groin.

I had two epidural injections. The first one sucked because I was in a lot of pain just lying there and my muscles were wound up tight like a drum. The second was much better, just a normal shot. They give you a quick shot or two of a numbing agent first.

There was a huge difference after the first shot, it did take a day or so for the nerves to "calm down". The second shot sealed the deal. Overall, i'd say there was a 90-95% reduction in the pain level, overall.

They tell me that eventually I'll have to have the foramens opened up, but I'll wait until it HAS to be done.

ETA:
I see that some are saying it's temporary. I got my injections about a year and a half ago.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I herniate  L5 and S1 and had the injections. Everyone is different but I can tell you the first-injection was the most pain I have ever experienced.  I cussed and screamed that the whole waiting area went silent  (Dad was there to drive me home). Image the apprehension two weeks later when I went for the next one...against their orders I took  two Demerol (I had a prescription) before hand and that seemed to help.  I surmised the actual medication hit the nerve when it was injected in. My back is fine now...this happened thirteen years ago....but man I will always remember that day...Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

1. Lots of them.
2. It's not painful at all, but uncomfortable.
3. A few small pricks, a feeling of pressure, them your balls burning like hell
4. For some. I got temporary (a few days) relief, others get weeks.
5. If the numbness is due to inflammation putting pressure on the merves, probably.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#28]
There's a thread going in team if that prompts you to get a membership OP

Hope things get fixed right for you buddy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had two, vowed never to have another one.
Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Had 3 for a L5/S1 rupture.  They felt good for a few hours.  2 months later, micro-disectomy.  2 years later, still perfect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#31]
About what age are you?

Just curious, we have this debate at work all the time when someone gets hurt or tweaks something working out. We get an hour a day on the clock for the gym if we want it, the younger guys are all "Let's get our swell on!!, AAAHHH!" and us 35+ year old guys are more like "I'm calling dibs on that elliptical over there by the entrance to the Yoga room"

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I herniate  L5 and S1 and had the injections. Everyone is different but I can tell you the first-injection was the most pain I have ever experienced.  I cussed and screamed that the whole waiting area went silent  (Dad was there to drive me home). Image the apprehension two weeks later when I went for the next one...against their orders I took  two Demerol (I had a prescription) before hand and that seemed to help.  I surmised the actual medication hit the nerve when it was injected in. My back is fine now...this happened thirteen years ago....but man I will always remember that day...Good Luck
View Quote

Same deal here only it was in my neck.

I told her it hurt too much ad was crying and the bitch said, "Ok big push", I freakin screamed and cursed her out bad. When I came out of the room the reception area was silent, everyone just looking at me.

Took me two months to get up the nerve to go back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Same here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had several epidurals, they didn't do anything for me.

Same here

Yep.  I had several as well.  No help.

They did feel interesting though.  Not really painful...can't explain...just weird.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I have had several over the past 14 years.  One provided relief for 10 years, the rest did absolutely nothing.  The last one I had before my 2 fusion surgeries was so painful my wife could hear me screaming while she was in the waiting room, then I passed out.  I will never,ever have another one again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had it for my S1/L5 and my L4/L3.  I didn't even feel the injections being done but I couldn't tell they helped me.
Be prepared for a change in life style is the best I can advise you.

I have also had them in one elbow, one shoulder and my hips
Being held down on a table by two nurses while a doctor sticks a long needle into your hip joints multiple times will make even the toughest cry in pain.
It was excruciating and bruised my hips black, blue and purple.  Never ever agree to injections in your hips
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#36]
I saw it done on House, it looks dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I've had it done twice. The injections in my lower back weren't to painful,but the injection in my mid back were brutal. Neither worked for me but hopefully you'll have better results.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you by chance do crossfit
View Quote

I wouldn't be caught dead doing crossfit. I was doing rack pulls with 750 on the bar
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Just renewed. Thanks!  I didn't even realize my membership had expired as I only typically read GD and EE.

Also thanks to everyone for the replies. It has eased my mind a little. The thought of them sticking a needle so close to my spinal cord had me a little more than freaked out.

Going to have to realize that I just turned 41 and can't keep up with the young 20 something powerlifters in the gym anymore. No real reason to have that kind of weight in the air
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had quite a few and so far they have helped me..............3 in my neck and 6 in my lower back
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I've had it done 6 times (2 sets of 3) in my cervical spine. Thanks to versed I have no memory of the procedure but the next day sucked a bit.  Relief to about 2 months to come fully (or at least as good as it got).
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I've had it done twice. The first time it didn't hurt much. The second... Yowza! Also, the first time it gave me about a month worth of relief. Second time, it did nothing. The day after Christmas last year, I had my L4-L5 fused. I'm doing pretty good now.

There's a thread in the Team forum all about back problems and surgeries.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I've had over a dozen injections in my cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.

For me, the first injection (in any area) was more effective than subsequent injections. In my case, first injections are good for about six months, with decreasing benefit for follow on injections.

I never had any pain due to an epidural steroid injection. But NEVER let them do the spinal tap procedure!

My last injection was 2-3 years ago, my blood sugar spiked so much that the docs are afraid of any more injections.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I have had 3.

I herniated 2 discs and ruptured a third lifting and TWISTING money.  and it wasn't even my money

The way it was explained to me was that the epidural would reduce the swelling of the discs so that my body could fix itself.  The DR. told me about once a month 2 or 3 times total.  WorkComp was taking 90-120 days to approve one shot at a time.  so the Dr. told me that's why he believed it didn't work.  

PT
Electro PT
Epidurals, all had workmens comp support/ no problems other than the approval time for my epidurals.
Get referred to a neurologist for micro discectomy and all the sudden, I have to go for a review board where the doc rules it as degenerative and blames it on my time in the Corps instead of a work injury (2 yrs after my incident at work)  He literally called for security because I was going to choke him out with his lab coat.

Sorry.. got a little of topic..

first two epidurals worked form me, and the third only lasted about a week.
Good luck to you
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I have had 20+ injections over a 17yr period.  Sometimes they would last for a couple of years, sometime just a few months.

Most of the times I was sedated, a couple of times I was not sedated enough..  I have always used a doc that was dedicated to pain management.  I simply asked the back surgeon who would he go to if he needed one.  They keep the best for themselves. :)

When the injections stopped working and I finally had surgurey, I was much worse for the wear.  My disc has calcified and the doc had to deal with all kinds of bone spurs, so my 45min surgery ended up being a 2hr session.  After about a 3 month recovery, and a 4 month detox I was good to go.  

So try the shots, but do not rely on them longterm.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had them. I'm trying to jump through the hoops to get another series.

I have a few ortho issues, and have had broken bones in the past. The shots weren't that big of a deal. The first one didn't work well but the others gave me some relief for a few months. They do it using ultrasound or something to make sure the needle is in the right spot.

I just had another MRI, my back issues continue to deteriorate. I guess I'll keep getting shots till they don't help.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I have/had? c5-c6 and c6-7 bulges.  They sent me to the pain clinic for injections.  I went for a second opinion from a chiro who specializes in traction therapy.  I'd guess he gave me an 80% improvement.  Completely nonintrusive.

This guy specializes in lower back work.  Cervical is his side job.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've had them. I'm trying to jump through the hoops to get another series.

I have a few ortho issues, and have had broken bones in the past. The shots weren't that big of a deal. The first one didn't work well but the others gave me some relief for a few months. They do it using ultrasound or something to make sure the needle is in the right spot.

I just had another MRI, my back issues continue to deteriorate. I guess I'll keep getting shots till they don't help.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Some people claim that the injections actually speed up the degradation of the bone, muscle and soft tissue in the area of the injection.  If true, injections could speed up the process towards major surgery.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#49]
yep I've had three. the last one i was laid out on the table and when she injected me, i almost came off the table. not smart but she hit a direct nerve and i couldn't control it. dr kinda of freaked out saying you shouldn't move. hell … i know that but when you hit a nerve, sometimes things happen.

btw … never really worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Yeah my mother in law did, it was tainted with a fungus, got spinal meningitis and passed away from it, be cautious my friend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top