BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the above mentioned an absolute must see

Rome reminded me of NYC as far as foot  traffic ...absolutely mobbed and I was there end of April early May
Everything involves long lines of waiting and watch your pockets if your getting on a public bus
(they push and shove and pile in and out like second graders)  

best to bring a camera that has one of those rotating screens that enables you to take good pictures while holding the camera up high over your head, or at weird angles so you can get decent shots above the heads of the crowd.

have fun!!!!  It's a great city
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think it's particularly dirty.  It's crowded like most European cities.  It depends what you're comparing it to.  Switzerland you can eat off the sidewalk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An abundance of history, but I hear the city is filthy.

I don't think it's particularly dirty.  It's crowded like most European cities.  It depends what you're comparing it to.  Switzerland you can eat off the sidewalk.

Yeah, just don't do that though
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been to Rome numerous times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An abundance of history, but I hear the city is filthy.

Neatness scares the shit out of me.  - Sgt. Jesse (The Wild Geese)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Hop the train and go to Florence.  Much more neat, but less well-known, stuff to see.  It is also a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hop the train and go to Florence.  Much more neat, but less well-known, stuff to see.  It is also a lot cheaper.
View Quote

Much less known?  

It's Fucking Firenze, man!

Bella citta!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
While you're in France, rent a car and go out to Normandy for the day.  It's like a 3 hour drive if i remember correctly.  

Oh, and about the thieves in Rome.  Be careful of those kids who come by and try to swindle you out of money by putting some little trinket on your table with a card that says the trinket is being given to you and asking for a donation.  If you ever put anything on a table at a restaurant (phone, wallet, etc.) then expect for these little bandits to swipe it right off the table and walk away while you're busy trying to read the card.  They'll even try to talk to you so they have your attention while one of their buddies steals your shit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Pick-up Rick Steves' guidebook for Rome. It has all kinds of ways to skip-the-line (legally and per the rules) at the major attractions.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
We were there a few weeks ago.

Buy a Roma Pass - http://www.romapass.it/?l=en

Free public transportation (bus and metro - bus 64 will put you close to most everything but watch your pockets (express bus 40 takes the same route - fewer stops)) and 2 free admissions for archaeological sites (Colosseum + Palatine hill = 1 admission). Most museums are free.

If you are going to hit the Vatican Museums - buy in advance. You can avoid the line (which will be at least 3 blocks long). I recommend the audio tour add-on if you don't choose guided.

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do

The fountain at the base of the Spanish Steps was closed and covered for maintenance... dunno if that is still the case. (if you are in that area and see a tailor which sells Zegna suits (it will be a few doors down from an E-cigarette store) get me an email address for them and I'll give you two Pmags)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Much less known?  

Bella citta!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much less known?  

Bella citta!

You're right.    I just meant that while Rome has the 10 or so MUST SEE things, Florence has hundreds of things to see that could keep you busy for weeks.

Que binario partenze il traino?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Leaving Wednesday for Paris. 5 days there, then taking the train to Rome for a 4 day stay. Been to Paris a few times, and absolutely love it. But never been to Rome.

Any suggestions as to places / things to see other than the normal tourist stuff? Any suggestions of good places to eat? Places / things to avoid?
View Quote
I was born in Rome.

I could show you it all to you but can't pick a place in particular.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't all roads go to Rome?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was born in Rome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leaving Wednesday for Paris. 5 days there, then taking the train to Rome for a 4 day stay. Been to Paris a few times, and absolutely love it. But never been to Rome.

Any suggestions as to places / things to see other than the normal tourist stuff? Any suggestions of good places to eat? Places / things to avoid?
I was born in Rome.

Bocca Della Verita is kind of cool. Stick your hand in it.  

There was a restaurant that my friends took me to that had a thick pasta (hay, or something they called it) with peas and and cream sauce.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Already have train tickets for a day trip to Florence. Not going to the Uffizi. Just going to spend time walking around looking at the city, and maybe hitting the Ponte Veccio.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pick-up Rick Steves' guidebook for Rome. It has all kinds of ways to skip-the-line (legally and per the rules) at the major attractions.

View Quote

Got it. Going to spend most of the flight from DC to London reading it. Lots of good info from what I've read so far.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Ooops! Dupe. My bad.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
You should definitely rent a vespa while you're there.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top