Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you do, don't try to mow the yard at night, drunk, wearing a pvs 14 literally.

I may or may not know from experience or know the parties involved
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always love these responses.

OP: I've got a 1/3 acre lot in suburbistan and $2k. What riding mower?

GD: Get a push mower homo!
       I spent $20k on MY mower and it's barely enough for all the manly stuff *I* do!
       Buy an ancient POS from some toothless yocal on CL and fix it up yourself. Homo.
       Anything under $5k is garbage and will fly to pieces the instant you sit on it.
       If you buy lawn equipment from lowes or HD you've probably had balls on your chin. Homo
       I'm so rich that I pay people to do my yard. But ima post in this thread anyway so you'll know I'm rich.

Feel free to add to the list!
View Quote

Overkill, like hunting deer with an old German 88

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It is estimated that residential engines last around 400 to 500 hours while commercial engines last 1500 to 2000 hours.  Diesel is higher.

Of course it all depends on maintenance.  And yes I know about your cousin who has 1 million hours on his crappy Honda gc engine and it is still on the original oil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but really, what is a reasonable amount of service years to expect from a riding mower?  I have a Snapper Hydro that I've had for the 14 years, and it's been in the shop more over the last two summers than I've used it.  Thank God for the...guest workers...who are willing to cut my yard for a "reasonable" price.

It is estimated that residential engines last around 400 to 500 hours while commercial engines last 1500 to 2000 hours.  Diesel is higher.

Of course it all depends on maintenance.  And yes I know about your cousin who has 1 million hours on his crappy Honda gc engine and it is still on the original oil.

Good info, and again, sorry to hijack.

I have always had my mower serviced in the early spring, and it has never spent a night outside of my garage.  Last year, I had to replace belts and my mower had ZERO power in reverse and reduced power going up the mild slope in my yard.  Late last summer, I blew a hole in my muffler...not sure how that happened...and now I need a new muffler...or I could put some HD stickers on it, because, you know, the whole loud pipes thing.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://intmowers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/alamo-eagle-mechanical-flex-wing.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy an ancient POS from some toothless yocal on CL and fix it up yourself. Homo.
       If you buy lawn equipment from lowes or HD you've probably had balls on your chin. Homo
       I'm so rich that I pay people to do my yard. But ima post in this thread anyway so you'll know I'm rich.

http://intmowers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/alamo-eagle-mechanical-flex-wing.jpg

It would take me all day to mow MY yard with that toy. And time is money. And I have a lot of money.

Also, it appears two guys are making out in the cab of that thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This rider was built in 1984 and cuts great. Craiglist pickup..  Older is better, I doubt a big box store mower these days would last anywhere close to 30 years.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z50/newphotobucketuser/image_zps87edff84.jpg
View Quote

That mower cost about $1800 in 1984.  In todays money that would be about $4000.  It is unfair to compare a $1000 big box machine to one that is 4x's as expensive.

People say they don't make them like they used to.  Well I agree.  I have a couple 1960s Cub Cadets.  They were about $900 back then without a deck.  The comparable model to that today is a Deere x700 series or even the SCUTs.  So they still make comparable machines it is just that they also make cheaper more affordable ones.  It all depends on your budget and needs.  

I used to use that same Craftsman when I was a kid.  My parents bought it after the Cub Cadet started having issues.  I used to mow the field.  I remember saying then that it was ok but not as tough as the Cub Cadet.  They don't build them like they used to.  lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a 20 year old John Deere 455 diesel 60" cut with 1300 hrs on it.  Paid nearly $3k for it last summer and love it.  It is a beast and even has power steering

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you find your dog?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was out looking for my dog who had been missing, so I drove around to all these local homes. Saw a broken down riding mower out in the yard at one of the houses and asked the owner what he wanted for it.

It was a 2006 Troy-Bilt Pony.

No Battery, No PTO Engage cable, but the reason I believe it was parked was the steering shaft gears were worn out, a $15 fix for someone that can do it themselves.

He only wanted $100 for it. After getting it home I jumped it off and with a little starting fluid it cranked right up and ran great.

$200 total invested to get it mowing grass.

Did you find your dog?
Yes, he showed up about a week after disappearing covered in ticks lol.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
JD LX172 w/kawasaki motor - bought 1992. Just quit this year. JD/Kawasaki engines are GTG...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
For 1/3 acre get a Robomower. They work great. But I have 2 acres so I got rid of mine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm sick of push mowers, I want to move up a peg or two
besides I'm over raking and bagging grass, that shit is such a waste of time.
and besides that, I want mowing the grass to take less time than it does.. aint nobody got time to waste on a push mower
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1/3 of an acre?   Get a fucking push mower.

I'm sick of push mowers, I want to move up a peg or two
besides I'm over raking and bagging grass, that shit is such a waste of time.
and besides that, I want mowing the grass to take less time than it does.. aint nobody got time to waste on a push mower

Mulch the grass, don't bag it.  It's free fertilizer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have just a little over 1 acre.  My property consists of a pond with the banks.  I could easily push mow the entire thing but the fact that I absolutely HATE cut grass is stopping me.  Last year I dished out a decent chunk of coin for a small commercial zero turn.  I can cut one acre of grass in about 20 minutes.  Love it.  More beer drinking time for me.  I definetly went way over kill.  I picked up a 52" Husky Commercial Zero turn.  I don't plan on buying another mower for a really long time.  This should last me quite a long time.
" />
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think it comes more from people that cut a lot of grass and don't like spending their money on junk equipment.  I cut a lot of grass, don't enjoy it. I want it done with as fast and painlessly as possible.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=56549

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it comes more from people that cut a lot of grass and don't like spending their money on junk equipment.  I cut a lot of grass, don't enjoy it. I want it done with as fast and painlessly as possible.

Nice mower.  That was my idea when I bought mine.  I'll pay more now to have something that lasts me quite some time rather than wrenching on something.  I love the zero turn and am happy I dished out the coin for something this big.  Cuts the grass in no time flat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have about 1/3 of an acre too.  My dad gave me his old Husky lawn tractor when he finally bought a bigger one.  It would only take me about 10 minutes to mow the lawn, and then I would still have to get the push mower out to get a few smaller areas the tractor was just to big and unwieldy for, so I gave it back.  Then a friend gave me an '80s vintage John Deere rider(Forest Gump style.)  That thing rocks!  Mows almost as fast as the tractor, and it is much easier to maneuver with the lawn roller or aerator attached as well.  Heck, it only has an 8HP motor, but I usually aerate and mow at the same time.  It also fits through a 3' gate.  A full tank of fuel is about 4 gallons and lasts almost the entire year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I live on a 1/2 acre suburban lot. My old push mower died last spring and I didn't waste any time getting to my JD dealer. I bought a D110(I think, their cheapest 42" hydrostatic mower) sight unseen for about $1300. I don't know if that was a normal price, or if I got a deal due to buying an 8 series tractor, a 16 row planter, and buying in to their RTK network. It's been a trouble free mower so far.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I would love to cheaply push mow my yard but way too much grass and hills changes things. A 2 grand lawn mower would last about 2 years so buying pro grade zero turns saves time and money in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man nailed it. I have a 72 inch Ferris with the Kawasaki motor. Mowing at 12 mph is the tits. I bought it used and it cost more then my Suburban, which is a 1999 model. Mowing sucks and needs to be done quick.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Dude had a classic snapper rear engine out on the curb free the other day.  I kick myself for not figuring a way to stuff it in my trunk.  My father in law keeps trying to give me an old 60's cub cadet rider.  Just a bit shy of the power to plow or do anything much other than pull a cart and mow and it's huge.

The old stuff needs minimal basic tools and it's made to be worked on.  Shop manuals are easy to come by, and those tell you the proper way to do about anything that can need doing.  I've had mixed results re-enginging power equipment using harbor freight's cheap-ass honda clone engines.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Whatever you do, don't try to mow the yard at night, drunk, wearing a pvs 14 literally.

I may or may not know from experience or know the parties involved
View Quote
My brother had his wedding on our land by the lake, we were pretty busy getting ready so I ended up mowing the place with my pvs-14 the previous night lol.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Hire a neighbor kid
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dude had a classic snapper rear engine out on the curb free the other day.  I kick myself for not figuring a way to stuff it in my trunk.  My father in law keeps trying to give me an old 60's cub cadet rider.  Just a bit shy of the power to plow or do anything much other than pull a cart and mow and it's huge.

The old stuff needs minimal basic tools and it's made to be worked on.  Shop manuals are easy to come by, and those tell you the proper way to do about anything that can need doing.  I've had mixed results re-enginging power equipment using harbor freight's cheap-ass honda clone engines.
View Quote

A 60s Cub, unless the motor is toast, has plenty of power to plow. I used to do the drive on my 104, it was a frikkin TANK. 3rd gear [top] was the norm. Normal mowing was in 2nd gear. 3rd would move right along at a pretty good clip.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 1.3 acres, most of it is a field.   When the engine blew on the MTD mower that came with the house I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor (their name). Got the biggest deck they made,  56", and it has a 26hp Kohler engine.   It has been almost trouble free for ten years.  Only problem I had was a broken pulley mount on the top of the deck.  I welded it back in place and it has held for 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

For 1/3 acre get a Robomower. They work great. But I have 2 acres so I got rid of mine.
View Quote

How do they do around a chained up dog or a golf ball left in the yard?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For a yard that small and that price range I'd look at a cub cadet or husqvarna.

I have a little over an acre and I spent $3500 on a Kubota and would do it again in a second.

Buy once cry once.
View Quote

This is what I have for 6/10 of an acre....works fine had it several yeas, new for mine is about 1400 tops
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#27]
You should be a be able to find a used Simplicity Broadmoor for under 2k with 500 hours or so on it. Transmissions are good to 1k hours or more of heavy use. I have used a ton of mowers. Nothing compares to a Broadmoor. Bonus if you can find one with a Honda engine, DO NOT GET ONE WITH A KOHLER.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you keep your dog chained up 24x7 you deserve to mow with scissors. Otherwise clean up before you mow.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If you keep your dog chained up 24x7 you deserve to mow with scissors. Otherwise clean up before you mow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dog isn't chained up.....I just wondered

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Deere 997. Won't take long.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For a yard that small and that price range I'd look at a cub cadet or husqvarna.

I have a little over an acre and I spent $3500 on a Kubota and would do it again in a second.

Buy once cry once.
View Quote

I got a Husqvarna with a welded deck. Its ok, but I should have spent the money and got a small diesel tractor
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#32]
My time is worth more to me than mowing the lawn.  

That being said when I was in my teens my family had 1ac.
Bought a hydrostatic drive honda 10hp. 30".

awesome little ride on with engine in rear.   Could probably find one used under
$500.  IT WAS STURDY AND RAN FLAWLESS FOR 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buy used.  The older, the better.
View Quote

My Massey-Ferguson is older than me and still works great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those Snappers run forever.  You'll never look cool on one though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best riding mower I ever owned was an old school snapper with dirt bike handlebars. Craigslist $150.   Sold it a year and 100 acres later for $200.

Those Snappers run forever.  You'll never look cool on one though.

Forrest Gump used one. That's cool enough for me. How much cooler can you get than the guy who inspired Elvis, Shit Happens, smiley face shirts and blew the lid off Watergate?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1/3 A? $2,000.00?

Why?

That's a postage stamp sized yard, and wont even justify anything at the 2k Range at the Box stores.

The little Deere 105D is only 1,500 bucks at the dealer, and is total overkill, but you get a nice new Hat for free.

The little rear engine riders are even cheaper. Cub Cadet has a decent one for 1,300 or so that ain't bad.

Just stay the hell away from the box stores.
90% of the problems with Box store mowers or any other power equipment they sell, is the dipshits that do the initial assembly and set up.

You might save 50-100 bucks, but as soon as the thing burps it's up to you to find the local dealer you shoulda bought from in the first place.
Then you have to explain why you screwed the guy out of 50-100 bucks, and hope he dosn't gouge it back out of you on repairs not under warranty.

Check around for Dealers with good used lawn mowers as well.
The Deere dealers are usually good for having well maintained 6-10yr old mowers that still have another 20 seasons in them.

Good luck!

View Quote

Initial assembly and setup my ass. I get a semi truck a week of mowers. You have to be out of your damn mind to think we don't have a factory rep to uncrate and test the mowers. We're talking about guys who smell the gas before they pour it to make sure it is fresh. These guys can damn near hear a serial number  and school you on the mower you are sitting on.

60% of the issues with our mowers are people who don't change the oil.
20% let gas go bad.
10% think batteries are magical.
9% run over things mowers can't run over
1% are quality issues.

You must work at a dealer. You have the same ass-chapped attitude as the dealership.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a Cub Cadet when I retired for our new home. I mow rocks, sticks, water hoses, some grass and a ton of other stuff. I have yet to have any issue with my mower. Sharpen blade, change oil and filter,,,,mow. I do change the battery every year. This mower maintains about three acres of yard and almost half a mile of roadside. I use it for pulling a small trailer and various other things. I`m very happy with it. Easy to service. Tractor supply has the right filters. Yep...I`d do it again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Initial assembly and setup my ass. I get a semi truck a week of mowers. You have to be out of your damn mind to think we don't have a factory rep to uncrate and test the mowers. We're talking about guys who smell the gas before they pour it to make sure it is fresh. These guys can damn near hear a serial number  and school you on the mower you are sitting on.

20% let gas go bad.
1% are quality issues.

You must work at a dealer. You have the same ass-chapped attitude as the dealership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1/3 A? $2,000.00?

Why?

That's a postage stamp sized yard, and wont even justify anything at the 2k Range at the Box stores.

The little Deere 105D is only 1,500 bucks at the dealer, and is total overkill, but you get a nice new Hat for free.

The little rear engine riders are even cheaper. Cub Cadet has a decent one for 1,300 or so that ain't bad.

Just stay the hell away from the box stores.
90% of the problems with Box store mowers or any other power equipment they sell, is the dipshits that do the initial assembly and set up.

You might save 50-100 bucks, but as soon as the thing burps it's up to you to find the local dealer you shoulda bought from in the first place.
Then you have to explain why you screwed the guy out of 50-100 bucks, and hope he dosn't gouge it back out of you on repairs not under warranty.

Check around for Dealers with good used lawn mowers as well.
The Deere dealers are usually good for having well maintained 6-10yr old mowers that still have another 20 seasons in them.

Good luck!

20% let gas go bad.
1% are quality issues.

The other part is keeping sharp blades under the deck. Sharp blades cut grass much easier and saves a lot of unneeded wear and tear on the deck spindles, belts, and idler pulley's. You're trying to cut the grass, not beat it into submission with a blunt piece of steel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A 60s Cub, unless the motor is toast, has plenty of power to plow. I used to do the drive on my 104, it was a frikkin TANK. 3rd gear [top] was the norm. Normal mowing was in 2nd gear. 3rd would move right along at a pretty good clip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  60s cub cadets are real garden tractors.  Plenty of useable power and nice and heavy.  Built like a tank.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Buy once cry once.
View Quote

Whatever you do, don't listen to this man in regards to the cub cadets.  They are MTD made trash.  Shit transmissions across the entire lineup and all around shitty craftsmanship.  Don't buy MTD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The other part is keeping sharp blades under the deck. Sharp blades cut grass much easier and saves a lot of unneeded wear and tear on the deck spindles, belts, and idler pulley's. You're trying to cut the grass, not beat it into submission with a blunt piece of steel.
View Quote

meh.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know why, but it always ticks me off when people call a lawn mower a tractor.  Like suburbanites trying to manly or something.

A tractor is used for farming, a lawn mower is used for mowing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but it always ticks me off when people call a lawn mower a tractor.  Like suburbanites trying to manly or something.

A tractor is used for farming, a lawn mower is used for mowing.
View Quote

I can see how you might have that "opinion", but if you compare a modern lawn tractor to an early Farmall, or similar, you will probably find the modern lawn tractor to be more capable. So if they will do everything that an older tractor can, doesn't that make them a tractor?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Simplicity i have has been good, i mow a couple acres here and another couple acres down at the lake every week.
Quoted:
DO NOT buy Simplicity.

I have bought my wife a compact tractor, MOST other riders are made for city lots and smaller, they don't hold up well.

At least not to a woman mower

I can't complain I haven't had to mow the yard in 30 YEARS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I hate mowing grass. It's a damn weed that needs to be cut every damn week. It eats into my reloading and shooting time on the weekends since I work out of town 4 days a week.

That being said I have about 2-2.5 acres to cut. Last year I bought a Toro 42" zero turn with a Kawasaki engine. I bought the thing online for $2800 shipped to my house and dropped off in the driveway with 0% financing for 3 years.

I tried looking used, but I thought used prices where outrageous. For like $500 more dollars I could just get a new one. Then I decided to get something that will last and be done with it.

My in-laws next door use a Ford tractor with a 60" finishing mower on their yards.  I can mow their yard as fast or faster than that tractor.

I hate Snapper mowers. My Dad only had a Snapper and all those years I mowed his grass I hated the damn thing. It can't turn at all and his yard had lots of obstacles.

1/3 Acre is crossing the line between a good self propelled push mower and a smaller riding mower.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I cut about 3 acres, spent a little over 6k for a Gravely commercial zero turn. Cut the time to less than half. Lot of fun cutting your yard at 12mph..........
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Mow 3 locations, 5-6 acres.  Two are done with 48" decks the large yard 3 acres if I feel like putting along I use the 48", little faster the 60" Buta and if I don't give a @#$ the 72" front deck. I know this seems strange but the larger the deck the worst the quality of the mow on a non flat yard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Hustler Super 104. If anything is worth doing, it's worth over doing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yup.  60s cub cadets are real garden tractors.  Plenty of useable power and nice and heavy.  Built like a tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look into it more.  He seemed to think it was underpowered to plow.  If the motor's bad that's addressable.  If he's just mistaken, that's addressable too.  Thanks!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top