Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2014 6:03:21 PM EDT
"I want a dashcam, but then again, I don't violate anyone's rights"

Funny how GOOD cops like him, never get to be heard, just the fuckhead bad eggs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Its for proving that bogus complaints are false.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Local agencies in my area are using the Tazer  body cam thingies.   Most have no problem with them.
View Quote

Against policy here. No personal video or audio recording devices.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its for proving that bogus complaints are false.
View Quote

This is part of the reason I bought my helmet cam. That and cool video of going in fires.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Brah, I work in the courts.  I finally got audio recording by the metal detector.  I've been begging for this upgrade.  Though I have not had one complaint in 16 years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Huh, I figured dashcams were standard equipment these days
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a lot of places, yes. In many, no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

As much as possible, but they are also very expensive, some around $5,000.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Local agencies in my area are using the Tazer  body cam thingies.   Most have no problem with them.

What  personal videos, a lot of cop cars have it installed by the department.  At this point I am surprised any department doesn't do it on all of their cars.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
And they also aren't reliable.

I love them to death but ours only work perhaps 80% of the time.

And you have to remember to turn them on too :) (unless it's a car stop, it is auto record on those)

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What  personal videos, a lot of cop cars have it installed by the department.  At this point I am surprised any department doesn't do it on all of their cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the devices aren't provided by the dept, any audio or video recording device is a personal audio or video device.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think he means no cameras on their person.  

The body cans are pretty great in DV cases where the victim recant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means no cameras on their person.  

The body cans are pretty great in DV cases where the victim recant.

I get so fucking fed up with DV shit. We go out there time and time again, patch the dude up, or patch the chick up, they cry, they bawl, they swear it's the last time, a few days later, FIGHT'S ON!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Right.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And they also aren't reliable.

I love them to death but ours only work perhaps 80% of the time.

And you have to remember to turn them on too :) (unless it's a car stop, it is auto record on those)

View Quote

No "dash cam" manufacturer will say their system is totally reliable. But its common for Police Departments to treat them as if they are. And forgetting to turn it on is becomming one of the worst things a cop can do. There is basically zero tolerance for not catching something on video and audio both.

Thats why cops complain about cameras. The cameras themselves are a great tool. The over reaching policies the departments write/publish regarding their use is what you will see cops complaining about.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish the body cams had been common when i was k9 handler

EVERYONE bit sues

EVERYONE bit was warned multiple times in Eng/Esp that that is exactly what would happen if they did not comply / come out

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

EVERYONE bit sues

EVERYONE bit was warned multiple times in Eng/Esp that that is exactly what would happen if they did not comply / come out

View Quote

You didn't tell them nicely enough. No judgement for you!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to compare that to the cost of bogus lawsuits and keeping cops that might be "less than observant about proper behavior" honest.  It's not that expensive.

ETA Plus the side benefit of the videos on liveleak / youtube.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Dept I work for every car has in-car video and we are issued body cams.

I wouldn't work without them as they have saved me many times.

Every complaint I have received since getting the cameras has been dismissed.

MPD165
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You have to compare that to the cost of bogus lawsuits and keeping cops that might be "less than observant about proper behavior" honest.  It's not that expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The leadership of government in my area isn't exactly.....smart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Great for those too.  So easy even a Federal Jury can understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EVERYONE bit sues

I would not count on a jury agreeing that a warning justifies the use of the significant intermediate force of a K9 for non-compliance. Some juries are gonna derp no matter what.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand.  Note the state that I reside in.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would not count on a jury agreeing that a warning justifies the use of the significant intermediate force of a K9 for non-compliance. Some juries are gonna derp no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EVERYONE bit sues

Agreed where I worked if the dog got let go you had to try very hard to earn it when there was video it was laughable how much they wanted to have a go with the dog

win /win

suspect wants to fight dogs want to fight

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you got it bad!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Was pulled over a few months ago and cop told me i was being video/audio recorded right away. Not sure if it was a dash cam or he had one on him tho. I thought I could make a yellow light and pretty blatantly went thru it red right in front of him. Was running really low on gas and just trying to make it to the gas station. He let me go with a verbal warning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No "dash cam" manufacturer will say their system is totally reliable. But its common for Police Departments to treat them as if they are. And forgetting to turn it on is becomming one of the worst things a cop can do. There is basically zero tolerance for not catching something on video and audio both.

Thats why cops complain about cameras. The cameras themselves are a great tool. The over reaching policies the departments write/publish regarding their use is what you will see cops complaining about.
View Quote

That is a fairly accurate assessment.  It would be a lie to say that there aren't dirty cops who are afraid of cramping their style with a camera.  However, most gripes aren't based on that scenario.  

For example, our vehicle-location system was instituted with the express purpose of safety.  They weren't to be used for disciplinary purposes, in and of themselves.  The reality is that they rarely work well enough to locate officers in distress, and often don't work at all, except to log data that may be retrieved after the fact.  Because of this, the sole use, save for a few occasions, has been to take data after the fact, and use that to charge officers at random.  The system has proven to be erroneous, and yet the department still tried to suspend officers whose logs didn't match AVL records perfectly.  That just isn't possible, due to the inaccuracies of the system (which hasn't been calibrated in years).  Command staff claims they have ceased the practice, but time will tell.

As for the cameras, several of the models my dept. tested record continuously.  Turning the camera "on" merely tells it to index the data for playback.  The video playback actually begins from a point in time before "recording" is activated (Taser advertises thirty seconds, for example, when buffer mode is engaged).  On some cameras, video can be recovered well beyond the advertised buffer.  While that can be beneficial, a lot of people are understandably uneasy about a camera that records in such a fashion.  It is never truly "off" during your tour.

Aside from pulling random video from times between recording, there is also the fact that, with body cameras, there is something else to damage, lose, or get snagged in a chase or an arrest.  If I get mud on the lens, and don't notice, is my department going to say I tampered with the device?  If it works loose in a foot-chase, I now have to shell out the cost of the system.  If it doesn't engage when I try, will I be accused of doing so intentionally?

As I said before, it certainly can be helpful.  I don't get complaints to begin with, so it wouldn't have benefited me in the past.  It could save my ass in the future, so I am not opposed to the idea.  However, don't think that people don't have legitimate beefs with what a pain in the ass the system can be, and how it might be used unscrupulously.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Funny how GOOD cops like him, never get to be heard, just the fuckhead bad eggs.

View Quote

I love my dashcam.  I'd be so unhappy if I couldn't record all those crazy things that people say and do (no sarcasm).
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#31]
in this day and age there is no reason for a dash cam to not record the entire duration of the shift

hell in urban areas the data should be streamed near realtime

regardless the officer should have no control over the media /on /off  
most popo are honest and it helps more than it hurts in the days of cheap memory / storage no excuse for it not to be rolling 24/7
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Good for backseat res gestae too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This problem was solved VERY early on in dashcam implementation with them automatically coming on with the lights, siren, etc.  Unless an officer is purposely turning them off, they record the traffic stop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I would of liked to have had one on patrol but that was never happening with my PD. Luckily all my civilian complaints were investigated and found to be unfounded anyway by the CCRB. The ramifications of complaints at work would of been the same with video so it didn't really matter in the long run. Either way you were getting punished.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You also have to balance it against cops who will be less assertive because of prior, bogus complaints.

IMO, it's worth every penny for both reasons. The YouTube videos are just gravy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
My new car that I am getting later this year will have a dash camera in it. Personally, I welcome it. I wish we would get body cameras though as I think they would be more useful.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You also have to balance it against cops who will be less assertive because of prior, bogus complaints.
View Quote

The way my PD handled complaints definitely lead to many cops having a hands off attitude.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont get it

lots of cops want dash cams.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This problem was solved VERY early on in dashcam implementation with them automatically coming on with the lights, siren, etc.  Unless an officer is purposely turning them off, they record the traffic stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but they don't necessarily turn themselves on when the officer gets out of the car on a call that did not require the use of lights/siren.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, but they don't necessarily turn themselves on when the officer gets out of the car on a call that did not require the use of lights/siren.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, for me, it is force of habit now to turn it on whenever I make a public contact.

With that said, the local PD around here trusts their officers so little that they have slowly gone from lights only activation to anytime door opens activation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#41]
It would have been great to have, back in the day.

The huge, bloated broodsow that said I promised not to ticket her if she'd show me her tits. Would've been great to see that video of her literally jumping out of her car to flash me; even before I got my own door open.

Fortunately, the car that nearly smote her as she jumped out, pulled over also; they volunteered to be the victim for her CPC 647a (Lewd Conduct in Public) arrest.

Good times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The huge, bloated broodsow that said I promised not to ticket her if she'd show me her tits. Would've been great to see that video of her literally jumping out of her car to flash me; even before I got my own door open.
Fortunately, the car that nearly smote her as she jumped out, pulled over also; they volunteered to be the victim for her CPC 647a (Lewd Conduct in Public) arrest.
Good times.
View Quote

Reminds me of the woman who claimed I only stopped her because she was a lesbian. (Don't know how I was supposed to know that as she drove past)
She also went on to claim that I called her a "N word bitch". When the investigator from the CCRB told me that I laughed my ass off. When he asked what was funny I called my partner who was waiting downstairs on my cell and asked him to come inside. When his big 6' 4" 275 pound black ass came in the office I just pointed to him and asked the investigator "Do you think I actually said that in front of him?"
Case Unfounded.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Reminds me of the woman who claimed I only stopped her because she was a lesbian. (Don't know how I was supposed to know that as she drove past)
She also went on to claim that I called her a "N word bitch". When the investigator from the CCRB told me that I laughed my ass off. When he asked what was funny I called my partner who was waiting downstairs on my cell and asked him to come inside. When his big 6' 4" 275 pound black ass came in the office I just pointed to him and asked the investigator "Do you think I actually said that in front of him?"
Case Unfounded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good times.

Case Unfounded.

So he was a lesbian?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#44]
We got dash cams in our tractors this year. One cam pointed out, one at the driver.

The two times it came into play at our terminal saved the drivers: one had a lady swerve into him, the camera showed he maintained his lane.

The other flipped his rear trailer, which is automatic termination if the accident is preventable. The cam of the driver behind him helped rule it non-preventable because it clearly showed it was black ice and not driver error that caused the crash.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

in this day and age there is no reason for a dash cam to not record the entire duration of the shift

hell in urban areas the data should be streamed near realtime

regardless the officer should have no control over the media /on /off  

most popo are honest and it helps more than it hurts in the days of cheap memory / storage no excuse for it not to be rolling 24/7
View Quote

It's not that simple or cheap. Plus it varies a great deal depending on the department size and the government and/or department policies. How long are they required to store video by law/policy? How many people are you going to hire or assign just to manage all this video, sort through it, classify it, burn discs for court, manage user accounts, process FOIA-type requests from the public, etc, etc? Where will the storage be located? Gonna need to be a fireproof room with great climate control. How many terrabytes-petabytes will be required? How will it be backed up and were will the backups be located? What kind of backup power systems will run the storage vault?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So he was a lesbian?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good times.

Case Unfounded.

So he was a lesbian?

No, he was blind the whole time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

If he's such a good cop, why doesn't he report the "fuckhead bad eggs" he works with?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

True, for me, it is force of habit now to turn it on whenever I make a public contact.

With that said, the local PD around here trusts their officers so little that they have slowly gone from lights only activation to anytime door opens activation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dept has talked about getting cameras inside the car that face the driver.  They want supervision to be able to access them anytime, live.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If he's such a good cop, why doesn't he report the "fuckhead bad eggs" he works with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you missed the second "?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top