Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 9:32:00 AM EDT
Doesn't seem too difficult from the couple of Youtube videos I've seen.. not worth the $1,500 the plumber is asking, anyway.

Any reason I shouldn't just try it myself?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty damn easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
By unhook, do you mean remove?

If so, 5 minutes to remove a disposal, 15 minutes to half an hour to remove a sink and the gas cooktop about half an hour if you need to cap the gas line.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't F with gas.  It's worth paying the money for the liability if something goes wrong.  The sink and garbage disposal are easy with half a mechanically inclined brain.

Edit: I mean don't hook up a new one.  Removing it is very straightforward.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't F with gas.  It's worth paying the money for the liability if something goes wrong.  The sink and garbage disposal are easy with half a mechanically inclined brain.
View Quote

Just removing a gas appliance is fairly easy.  If you know how to turn of the gas to it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

You pay someone to turn on your gas for your dryer, hook up the propane for your BBQ, and turn on the gas to your water heater too?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
$0.00 = Kaboom $1500 = no kaboom
If you need a youtube video to unhook those items, especially the gas, you might want to pay someone
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
It all just comes apart....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You pay someone to turn on your gas for your dryer, hook up the propane for your BBQ, and turn on the gas to your water heater too?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For some people, the world is a really scary place.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doesn't seem too difficult from the couple of Youtube videos I've seen.. not worth the $1,500 the plumber is asking, anyway.

Any reason I shouldn't just try it myself?
View Quote

If you can unhook a bra, you will be fine
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's about 1000xs harder to make a leak tight water connection than it is to make a gas tight connection. I'm gas licensed. Tape & dope.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
By unhook, do you mean remove?

If so, 5 minutes to remove a disposal, 15 minutes to half an hour to remove a sink and the gas cooktop about half an hour if you need to cap the gas line.

View Quote

I'm getting new countertops and the sink and cooktop have to be disconnected for demo.

I can see the stopcock for the gas. I haven't looked at the sink yet. I've never messed with this kind of stuff but I'm not a complete idiot. I don't see what would cost $1,500.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's pretty damn easy.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Very easy.  The hard part could be getting the attachment clips off of the cooktop and sink.  If it is an old stainless pressed sink they could be rusted if it is older.  Cooktop could be tight to get to.  Turn the power off at the breaker to the cooktop if it is electric.  You getting sweet new countertops op?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
moving up from formica to granite.

I'm not reusing the cooktop or the sink so I'm not sure if I really need to unattach them
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
gas at the fitting is about a half pound of pressure. Last 2 times I replaced my gas oven, I let my wife stand there with her thumb on the end while I went and got a new one.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a basin wrench it will save you a ton of cussing. They are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Did this recently. 1,500 is a rip off. All they did was saw the counter tops in a couple of places and pulled the tops and the sink out in one piece.
Just disconnected the water lines and the drain which took a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
moving up from formica to granite.

I'm not reusing the cooktop or the sink so I'm not sure if I really need to unattach them
View Quote

Yes.

Old stuff comes out. Counter pulled. New counter goes on. Holes cut for your exact appliances. Then set & reconnect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The only thing I'd pay to have done was the gas, but that's because I don't play with things that can go boom when I don't know what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]
If you were my neighbor I'd do that shit for free and have both out in less than 15 minutes. JS
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, just got rid of one sink and turned the gas off to the cooktop. Before I disconnected the gas hose I tried to turn on the cooktop and it wouldn't light and I couldn't hear or smell gas. Then I removed the hose and I leak checked it with soapy water.

Is there anything else I should do to make sure I'm not filling my house with gas?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, just got rid of one sink and turned the gas off to the cooktop. Before I disconnected the gas hose I tried to turn on the cooktop and it wouldn't light and I couldn't hear or smell gas. Then I removed the hose and I leak checked it with soapy water.

Is there anything else I should do to make sure I'm not filling my house with gas?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

YES!  Cap or plug the open end of the gas line.

Edited to ad.... and i don't give a shit if that means putting a plug in the end of the gas valve.  Cap or plug it, trust nothing.  I've been a pipe fitter for over 21 years, ask me where this opinion comes from
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Edited to ad.... and i don't give a shit if that means putting a plug in the end of the gas valve.  Cap or plug it, trust nothing.  I've been a pipe fitter for over 21 years, ask me where this opinion comes from
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good advice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Very good advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good advice.

If it's a ball valve, anything past shutting it off and checking it for leaks is overkill. You can't plug a flare connection, and he needs a flare fitting cap if he wants to cap it if it's male. Do ball valves magically crack open from 4oz pressure?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
. Do ball valves magically crack open from 4oz pressure?
View Quote

No, but I have seen them get bumped open moving equipment around.

Overkill? Maybe, but if I leave a live gas line for anything longer than a couple minutes or so, I stuff a close nipple with a cap in there.

I prefer to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Did someone say "demo!" Yeah baby! Gimme a sawzall!

It really is easy, Turn off water lines and unplug disposer. Unhook or dismantle all plumbing / remove sink.

Turn off gas (there should she a valve somewhere, maybe in the basement below if there is one) and dismantle.

What you need to worry about is when you reassemble, be sure there are no leaks! (Water or gas)

You can use a water bottle with a little dishsoap to check for a gas leak - Don't use a match!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I replaced a sink and faucet a while back. It's easy if everything goes smooth. I was 70 at the time. If I can do it, you can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you smell eggs, ask your wife if she has been cooking eggs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Overkill? Maybe, but if I leave a live gas line for anything longer than a couple minutes or so, I stuff a close nipple with a cap in there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. Do ball valves magically crack open from 4oz pressure?

Sure, but he just "took the hose off", or disconnected the flare fitting on the whip I would imagine, not unthread the male flare.

OP,  don't bump the ball valve.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I screwed that sucker back down tight. Given how hard it was to close, it won't open very easily. It's not a regular lever, it actually has a hole I had to stick a screwdriver in to turn.

Anyway, got it all unhooked. I actually haven't physically removed the kitchen sink because it's puttied in place pretty well, but I figure they should be able to remove the countertop with it unhooked the way it is and I can get the mounting flange for the disposal off of it.

Overall it was fairly easy, even if I've never done this kind of thing before and I had to take my time with it. All in all, maybe 1.5 hours of work for 2 sinks and the cooktop.

Question: someone said I HAVE to have a new flexible gas line for the cooktop. Is there any reason I can't use the one from my old cooktop? The new cooktop comes with a new regulator.

Oh and my cooktop just went on sale 28% off (~$400). Lowe's is going to refund me the difference

This is what the valve looked like when it was open. I turned the nut on the top, rotated the bottom part 90 degrees, and tightened the nut back down. Got no leak anywhere, then loosened the flexible gas line to the right and also checked it for leaks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I screwed that sucker back down tight. Given how hard it was to close, it won't open very easily. It's not a regular lever, it actually has a hole I had to stick a screwdriver in to turn.

Anyway, got it all unhooked. I actually haven't physically removed the kitchen sink because it's puttied in place pretty well, but I figure they should be able to remove the countertop with it unhooked the way it is and I can get the mounting flange for the disposal off of it.

Overall it was fairly easy, even if I've never done this kind of thing before and I had to take my time with it. All in all, maybe 1.5 hours of work for 2 sinks and the cooktop.

Question: someone said I HAVE to have a new flexible gas line for the cooktop. Is there any reason I can't use the one from my old cooktop? The new cooktop comes with a new regulator.

Oh and my cooktop just went on sale 28% off (~$400). Lowe's is going to refund me the difference
View Quote

Sounds like you are having a GREAT day!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Good practice is new whip. No real requirement.

No need for the regulator if you have standard residential service.
Top Top