Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EARLY 19TH CENTURY IS THE OPERATIVE PHRASE

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

reading through this thread, we seem to have a lot of frenchies.

it was the early 19th century in france, too, and those guys had the exact same attitude that a lot of 21st century americans in this thread are showing.

vive la france, i guess.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They wife had texted me at work telling me the dude tried to bully his way past her and she was pretty upset  Some of you that have been around a while and went to the Texas Black Rifle or some of the local shoots may remember that I am the rather large dude who's wife happens to be deaf.

I have no problem standing up to any man and almost any beast.  

I just kind of wanted to have my dialogue  planned out instead of wanting to throw down with some dude for upsetting my wife and trying to barge his way past her into my home.
View Quote
I would have a problem with this and it would probably end my friendly cooperation

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"My DVR has been down for a while. Don't tell anyone…"

It's the ole "security cameras were broken" angle.
View Quote

I like this one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]

I wouldn't give him any video except the video of him trying to push his way into your house and bullying your wife.  I assume you got that vid.        

I'd say to him that you were going to give him the video, but since he doesn't want to be polite, let alone neighbourly, he will get fuck all except maybe a visit from the police, since you will be forwarding that video to them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't give him any video except the video of him trying to push his way into your house and bullying your wife.  I assume you got that vid.          

I'd say to him that you were going to give him the video, but since he doesn't want to be polite, let alone neighbourly, he will get fuck all except maybe a visit from the police, since you will be forwarding that video to them.

View Quote

This.

I have no tolerance for that kind of crap.

OP is being a much kinder neighbor than a lot of folks here seem willing to give him credit for.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

it was the early 19th century in france, too, and those guys had the exact same attitude that a lot of 21st century americans in this thread are showing.

vive la france, i guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vive la france, i guess.

I guess America in the 23rd century will be like France today. Fml.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, any updates?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly. Somebody asks to see something you own and doesn't give a reason, and you don't automatically ask "why? What's up?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As soon as the neighbor asked me about looking at my footage I would have asked "Why, what happened?"
How in the hell could someone not ask that "Why" question as soon as the request was made?

Exactly. Somebody asks to see something you own and doesn't give a reason, and you don't automatically ask "why? What's up?"

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
If someone broke in, hand the recordings over to the police.

If not, none of their damn business.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Your neighbor is obviously frustrated, and sees your cameras as his only hope to catch the vandal.  Imagine if you were in his position.

I would review the footage myself, and hand him a copy of the relevant parts.  Then encourage him to purchase his own security camera system.  What would be funny is if his security system caught a crime in one of your blind spots, and he told you "sorry, cameras dont work."
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your neighbor is obviously frustrated, and sees your cameras as his only hope to catch the vandal.  Imagine if you were in his position.

I would review the footage myself, and hand him a copy of the relevant parts.  Then encourage him to purchase his own security camera system.  What would be funny is if his security system caught a crime in one of your blind spots, and he told you "sorry, cameras dont work."
View Quote

SO? It'd be ok with you if your neighbor got physical with your wife?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Original post was vague.  Didn't read four pages.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you should have read them.
the neighbor came over to the house where the OP's deaf wife was and tried to forcibly enter the house and gain access to the her and the tapes.

Neighbor gets nothing but a brick in the face.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They wife had texted me at work telling me the dude tried to bully his way past her and she was pretty upset  Some of you that have been around a while and went to the Texas Black Rifle or some of the local shoots may remember that I am the rather large dude who's wife happens to be deaf.
I just kind of wanted to have my dialogue  planned out instead of wanting to throw down with some dude for upsetting my wife and trying to barge his way past her into my home.
View Quote

Tried to bully his way past her into your home?? Unless I'm reading this wrong he should be getting a copy of his own ass being whooped right about now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ask them what they are looking for and approximately what time.

You look and if you see anything, you can burn a video of it

Why are so many people so afraid to help their neighbors?

View Quote
Lawyers.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they might get argumentative and try to bully my wife when I'm not around?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because they might get argumentative and try to bully my wife when I'm not around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point I would have told the neighbor to fuck off and would have gotten into his face telling him to never approach my wife in any manner again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
No way unless the police are asking with a warrant. What's on it is no neighbor's business.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to say this. If everything is on the up and up, you could gain some knowledge... blindspots, criminal activity patterns, etc...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag for updates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Tag for updates.
View Quote
x2

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All these people saying, "tell them no" are what is too common today. Also, you don't know your neighbor? No wonder so much shit happens and people get away with it. I always make a point to know my neighbors. I may not be best friends but I usually get to a point where we watch each other's property.

Just ask what he's looking for and take a look. You dont have to be a complete basement dweller. I don't get how people can live literally next door to someone and barely, if at all, know their neighbors name.
View Quote

Do all your neighbors speak English?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I would help him out if I could.  I am sure you would appreciate the same if the situation were reversed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gents, thanks for your advice.  You have been a big help in organizing my thoughts in what has been a stressful situation

I have a neighbor I need to go talk to and give a flash drive.

I still got a lot to do before Easter Sunday besides repel the urge to beat down or provoke the neighbor into a "I was in fear for my life" situation.

Got to go see my 100 year old mother that lives by herself half way between Houston and Beaumont in the middle of nowhere.  

Got a couple of new Sigs for the wife and myself to break in while I am visiting mom.
View Quote

You can request a civil standby from the police while you deliver the record. The police duty in this case is to keep the peace, nothing more; he or she won't act unless you or your neighbor do something illegal.

A civil standby is likely subject to the availability of officers; if they're all out on a call or something, they'll tell you to wait till an officer is available.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can request a civil standby from the police while you deliver the record. The police duty in this case is to keep the peace, nothing more; he or she won't act unless you or your neighbor do something illegal.

A civil standby is likely subject to the availability of officers; if they're all out on a call or something, they'll tell you to wait till an officer is available.
View Quote

My local (Moscow, ID) PD provides this for parental custody handoffs all the time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#27]
tag for an update
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:10:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As soon as the neighbor asked me about looking at my footage I would have asked "Why, what happened?"
How in the hell could someone not ask that "Why" question as soon as the request was made?
View Quote

Listen don't be so hard on the guy. It's tough being out of Mommies basement for the first time. With only a Wife to fall back on for a security blanket
You are right. He can't make a decision.
The first thing I would have asked after a request like that is. Why what happened? Get a break in or a car stolen. Not just stand there with a dumb look on my face.
Where I live neighbors are 1/4 to 3/4 miles away. Yea we watch out for each other.
But at the same time not everyone knows all my business, of what I do and can't do.
If You're a stranger, you can piss up a rope. A neighbor, I'll be right over.
Security cameras? Oh you mean those fake ones I have to scare away the kids. They don't do anything.

Edit:
I might have picked on you a little hard. But you didn't come out with the facts about your wife being bullied, till very late in the thread.. She would be my first priority. Everything comes after that. Hope things work out ok!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

vive la france, i guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vive la france, i guess.

Thats what I was trying to say, I think That was a day or 2 ago.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Where I live neighbors are 1/4 to 3/4 miles away. Yea we watch out for each other.

But at the same time not everyone knows all my business, of what I do and can't do.

Security cameras? Oh you mean those fake ones I have to scare away the kids. They don't do anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I live out in the sticks and this is the way things are around here and I like it that way

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Well OP what ever happened?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Had this happen a couple of times, both were immediate trusted neighbors part of the neighborhood watch (one was the captain). Both requests involved destruction of property (vandalism) and the general safety of the neighborhood (criminal), so I provided the recordings.

To answer your question, only if the neighbors are trusted and a valid reasonable (criminal) reason is presented; footage should only be of road (outward facing angles), nothing personal or front door, etc; and request a specific timeline (hours, not days)

Neighbors are alleys (unless scum), the phone rings both ways....the idea is to watch out for each other.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that, draw a line in the sand regarding that shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Any update OP?
You give him the tapes? What was he looking for??
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any update OP?You give him the tapes? What was he looking for??
View Quote

It's escalated a bit.  He gave the neighbor some tapes of a car window being broken...but something about the neighbor trying to bully himself in their house with the wife has changed the direction of this thread from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Don't really know the people and I have no idea what kind of stuff they are looking for.
Don't really want to get involved in some weird domestic stuff.
I really don't want them to know what my system is capable of as well.

What say you?

What should I tell them if I want to say no?
View Quote

You have the right to know what they are looking for.  Just ask them what happened and tell them that you'd be willing to review the footage and share any findings with them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Hells no.  Not worth the drama.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If it's domestic no. If it's because of a break in then yes. And tell them the truth.
View Quote

This is the answer.

Ask them why.   If the answer is domestic, then "I'm sorry, I'm not really comfortable getting involved."

If the answer is criminal, then help a neighbor out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I think some of you guys missed his updates on page 2:

Quoted:
Dude was waiting for me as soon as I drove into the driveway.  His wife's car had a window broken out last night.
I told the guy I would take a look and if I saw anything, I would make him a copy.
I started to go inside and he wants to follow me in.   I told the dude in the politest way I could that I would take a look and if I saw anything, I would give him a copy even though my lawyer told me not to.  
He starts going on and on about being neighbors and how he would do it for me if the situation was reversed,  I could not resist asking him how it is possible that he has lived next door for more than two years and despite my attempts to be friendly and engage him in conversation, I don't even know his name?  He seriously thinks I am going to drop everything and do this chop chop and I have not even gotten into my fat boy stretchy pants yet.

I did look through and I did notice that about 2:32 my time that at one second it was there and the next it was not.  I have made him a copy of the 5 minutes prior and 5 after that includes sound.  All you can hear is an impact of the glass being hit.  Best guess on my part is BB gun or slingshot.  No vehicle traffic, bicycle or foot traffic that I could see.  
Anything more will require a warrant or subpoena.

I will keep a copy of the entire 24 hours.
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude was waiting for me as soon as I drove into the driveway.  His wife's car had a window broken out last night.
I told the guy I would take a look and if I saw anything, I would make him a copy.
I started to go inside and he wants to follow me in.   I told the dude in the politest way I could that I would take a look and if I saw anything, I would give him a copy even though my lawyer told me not to.  
He starts going on and on about being neighbors and how he would do it for me if the situation was reversed,  I could not resist asking him how it is possible that he has lived next door for more than two years and despite my attempts to be friendly and engage him in conversation, I don't even know his name?  He seriously thinks I am going to drop everything and do this chop chop and I have not even gotten into my fat boy stretchy pants yet.

I did look through and I did notice that about 2:32 my time that at one second it was there and the next it was not.  I have made him a copy of the 5 minutes prior and 5 after that includes sound.  All you can hear is an impact of the glass being hit.  Best guess on my part is BB gun or slingshot.  No vehicle traffic, bicycle or foot traffic that I could see.  
Anything more will require a warrant or subpoena.

I will keep a copy of the entire 24 hours.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have done this for the police.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's a scenario to ponder.

Say neighbor you hardly know comes to your house requesting to see some security cam footage.  Some vandals smashed his mailbox or something.  Your cameras clearly showed the perps and you proudly hand the footage to him.  He recognizes the perps and goes all vigilante on them.  He beats them to death and dumps their bodies in a ditch.  Cops then learn you supplied the neighbor with information which precipitated the crime.  What's your legal liability?  Are you now an accomplice?

If police are requesting it's a different story, but until then it's a personal matter and I'd be very hessitant.  How can you be sure you're helping the good guy?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Original request seems reasonable, even if he handled it like a dick. Someone tries to force his way into my home, intimidates my wife? Fuck that piece of shit. We would be having words and I'd charge his ass with trespassing if he ever set foot on my property again.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top