Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're looking for blindspots.

Don't do it.

View Quote

Oh god. lol I really hope that's sarcasm. The truth is that most people that are saying/thinking that probably believe it and daydream about active shooter scenarios. lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.
I find it's best to stay out of other people's affairs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask them what they are looking for and approximately what time.
You look and if you see anything, you can burn a video of it
Why are so many people so afraid to help their neighbors?

Because people don't want to get dragged into other people's bullshit?

This.

Of course, that's what people do in NY. See a crime being committed, turn your head the other way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This, why it it so hard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, why it it so hard?

Because life is not so simple anymore. The "old days" of neighbors and neighborhoods are loooooong gone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm all for helping a neighbor out - but he is asking to access what could be a considerably amount of your private data,showing and document a lot of your own personal property, activity, schedule - none of which is likely anything to be ashamed of, but none of his business.  I would not be comfortable giving anyone a dump of the video feeds.   You are under no obligation to do so, and can quite plainly site personal security concerns allowing others to have that much private data.  Temper it by noting your already paranoid enough to have the camera's in the first place - if you are worried about sore feelings.  

As others say, in certain context it might be OK to provide them with a segment of the relevant data, if there was a burglary or vandal for example that your camera's caught and you actually like the neighbor.  Then it's in your own interest for the criminal to get apprehended ASAP anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell him its been down for 2 weeks, so I'm guessing you told him you had one = not so smart.  Its a cut throat world out there, even here in the US.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Of course, that's what people do in NY. See a crime being committed, turn your head the other way.
View Quote

Damn right.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All these people saying, "tell them no" are what is too common today. Also, you don't know your neighbor? No wonder so much shit happens and people get away with it. I always make a point to know my neighbors. I may not be best friends but I usually get to a point where we watch each other's property.

Just ask what he's looking for and take a look. You dont have to be a complete basement dweller. I don't get how people can live literally next door to someone and barely, if at all, know their neighbors name.
View Quote

Some guy the OP barely knows comes over and asks to see his recordings, but won't say why he wants to see them, and OP is the weirdo?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Produce an insurance request and or a police request, or NO!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Temp/tosh_zpsf8d78ec4.jpg

Lulz

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]
it's funny to read a lot of these responses in a political context.

when french analyst alexis de tocqueville first examined US culture in the early 19th century, he said that what made america special--what made the system work so much better than post-revolutionary france--was the idea that americans understood duty.  one of his examples was a fallen bridge.  according to tocqueville, if a bridge washed out in france, everyone would sit around saying "it's not my job", and trying to find someone else to pin the responsibility on.

in america, he said, people recognized that no matter whose fault or responsibility it is, the damn bridge needed to be fixed.  so people would spontaneously show up, get together, and fix the damn bridge...without anyone telling them to do so.  they just helped each other out because they felt a duty to be neighborly.

this was the difference between french revolutionary ideals and american ideals--both groups talked about 'liberty', but what made the american system function far better than the french one is that americans had legal liberty...combined with a moral sense of duty.  he claimed that the french didn't even think about duty--they wanted all the legal rights without any of the moral responsibilities, and this made their system far inferior to america's.

reading through this thread, we seem to have a lot of frenchies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#11]
As soon as the neighbor asked me about looking at my footage I would have asked "Why, what happened?"

How in the hell could someone not ask that "Why" question as soon as the request was made?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
How many cameras are we talking about here? What does he want to see?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
get a warrant
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Without reason? Fuck no.

Personal matter? Fuck no.

Break in? I'll look and give you a copy if I find anything.
View Quote

This. I wouldn't allow anyone to view my security camera footage. Too easy for them to see the blind spots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the neighbor, and the stated reason.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Be diplomatic. It is your neighbor. Unless he is a scumbab.
Is your property fenced in?
If the guy is ok, ask the neighbor what the problem is.
If the neighbor is noticing an intruder or a possible intruder he is looking for your help.
Like a poster said ask what time stamp he is looking for and check it out a few hours before and after just to be sure.

Your neighbors concerns could be tipping you off to a real problem that you may not know about.

I have been having issues here and this week someone tore the front license plat off of the front of my truck. Replacement of the license plates, mount, travel expenses, and  lost time at work exceeds $150 out of pocket. I did not put a lock on my game cameras and someone removed the SD cards from them. The other problem is location. Turn the camera the wrong way and the street traffic triggers the camera every second.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's domestic no. If it's because of a break in then yes. And tell them the truth.
View Quote

I'd go with this.

Actually had a break in /attempted break in recently and invited the popo in to see the video, complete with my draw down. They didn't get anything from me but the were about to clean the neighbors car out. The neighbors were quite appreciative that I caught them on video and saw it go down live so I was able to stop them. Downloaded a copy to usb and gave it to popo, they thanked me for having a decent video system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Depends on the neighbor, and the stated reason.
View Quote

This, but for the record I've shared my security camera footage with neighbors on a couple of different occasions.  I've also asked for, and been granted, footage from my neighbors' cameras.
Neighborhood surveillance works best when you have multiple cameras covering a wide area.  This is achieved by the sharing of footage between neighbors.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd tell them no if I didn't want to. If their place gotten broken into,then maybe I'd look. Domestic? Nope.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Give this them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Don't really know the people and I have no idea what kind of stuff they are looking for.
Don't really want to get involved in some weird domestic stuff.
I really don't want them to know what my system is capable of as well.

What say you?

What should I tell them if I want to say no?
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As soon as the neighbor asked me about looking at my footage I would have asked "Why, what happened?"
How in the hell could someone not ask that "Why" question as soon as the request was made?
View Quote

Exactly. Somebody asks to see something you own and doesn't give a reason, and you don't automatically ask "why? What's up?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread needs a poll.

Ask them why, then tell them, you need to consult your lawyer before you make a decision.

Your lawyer being GD.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
$20 that the dude thinks his wife is cheating on him, and wants to see if some guy is going to his house while he's at work.

View Quote

Going with this reply
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Where did the OP go?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Not without details.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where did the OP go?
View Quote

Whacking it to pics of naked MILF next door he just found.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He would have to give me a general time, date and what he is looking for.
I would find the data, if it is what he is looking for, make a copy of only that, and provide it to him ....maybe, if he is nice!!
View Quote

This. Tell me what you need and ill check
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

when french analyst alexis de tocqueville first examined US culture in the early 19th century, he said that what made america special--what made the system work so much better than post-revolutionary france--was the idea that americans understood duty.  one of his examples was a fallen bridge.  according to tocqueville, if a bridge washed out in france, everyone would sit around saying "it's not my job", and trying to find someone else to pin the responsibility on.

in america, he said, people recognized that no matter whose fault or responsibility it is, the damn bridge needed to be fixed.  so people would spontaneously show up, get together, and fix the damn bridge...without anyone telling them to do so.  they just helped each other out because they felt a duty to be neighborly.

this was the difference between french revolutionary ideals and american ideals--both groups talked about 'liberty', but what made the american system function far better than the french one is that americans had legal liberty...combined with a moral sense of duty.  he claimed that the french didn't even think about duty--they wanted all the legal rights without any of the moral responsibilities, and this made their system far inferior to america's.

View Quote

This ain't the early 19th century anymore, hoss. Scumbag neighbors are a reality for many people, and OP is right to be suspicious. Of course, his inability to ask "why?" Makes me wonder about him, too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Damn right.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Extorris/media/Temp/tosh_zpsf8d78ec4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Temp/tosh_zpsf8d78ec4.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Extorris/media/Temp/tosh_zpsf8d78ec4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Temp/tosh_zpsf8d78ec4.jpg</a>

Who is that?

Eta: Nevermind I see it's the tosh.o producer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#32]
OP fail, replace OP...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Who is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right.

Who is that?

A member of Daniel Tosh's staff who was shot and killed by sheriff's deputies a few weeks ago. The story is that he went to help a robbery victim, or something like that, and was killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#34]
quite the conundrum.

1. let your neighbor see the tapes if anyone is banging his wife while he's gone.

2. refuse and then he will instantly suspect its you banging his wife.

goodluck friendo

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How many cameras are we talking about here? What does he want to see?
View Quote

3 0f the op's 4 cameras are pointed at the neighbors daughters room and the neighbor has put in trees, one way film etc. and is hoping it is working. Would like to see OP's camera footage to decide if he just needs to board up her windows or not.

Really can't believe OP doesn't know why, anyone would ask why as soon as the neighbor asked to see footage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ask him why he wants to see footage, if bs answer tell him to FO unless he shows you risky pics of wife (assuming she is something to look at) but be a man about it and hope that he isn't a child
View Quote

Exactly how risky are we talking here? Operating a vehicle after taking an Advil risky, or standing on the top step of a ladder risky?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#37]
... monetize his request
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

EARLY 19TH CENTURY IS THE OPERATIVE PHRASE
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Be polite and helpful... "What are you looking for?  When did it happen?  Let me look through the DVR and I'll burn a copy of whatever I find."
View Quote

Probably the best answer.  Give him NO idea of the coverage of your camera system.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds reasonable.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#41]
TELL HIM COME BACK WITH A WARRANT
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Dude was waiting for me as soon as I drove into the driveway.  His wife's car had a window broken out last night.
I told the guy I would take a look and if I saw anything, I would make him a copy.
I started to go inside and he wants to follow me in.   I told the dude in the politest way I could that I would take a look and if I saw anything, I would give him a copy even though my lawyer told me not to.  
He starts going on and on about being neighbors and how he would do it for me if the situation was reversed,  I could not resist asking him how it is possible that he has lived next door for more than two years and despite my attempts to be friendly and engage him in conversation, I don't even know his name?  He seriously thinks I am going to drop everything and do this chop chop and I have not even gotten into my fat boy stretchy pants yet.

I did look through and I did notice that about 2:32 my time that at one second it was there and the next it was not.  I have made him a copy of the 5 minutes prior and 5 after that includes sound.  All you can hear is an impact of the glass being hit.  Best guess on my part is BB gun or slingshot.  No vehicle traffic, bicycle or foot traffic that I could see.  
Anything more will require a warrant or subpoena.

I will keep a copy of the entire 24 hours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Without knowing exactly what he wants I would tell him to FO. If he has a police report number I would look IF I can talk to the detective to confirm it and the footage WILL go to the police and not him. Otherwise FO. Every person on my street has each others numbers and we watch like hawks over each others property. I had one neighbor ask for footage of his house while he was at work as he was looking to see if the wife was cheating, I told him sure but I will give he the video of what went on while she was out of town first, caught him with another woman, he never asked again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
why
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#45]
They wife had texted me at work telling me the dude tried to bully his way past her and she was pretty upset  Some of you that have been around a while and went to the Texas Black Rifle or some of the local shoots may remember that I am the rather large dude who's wife happens to be deaf.
I have no problem standing up to any man and almost any beast.  
I just kind of wanted to have my dialogue  planned out instead of wanting to throw down with some dude for upsetting my wife and trying to barge his way past her into my home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Time to get the man involved.
The guy is escalating things way beyond reason.

Is your wife armed ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because people don't want to get dragged into other people's bullshit?

This.

Correct-o-mundo.

Quoted:
They wife had texted me at work telling me the dude tried to bully his way past her and she was pretty upset

Well, I see involving yourself in the neighbor's affairs went smashingly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#48]
If he was trying to get inside around my wife, I would tell him never to step foot on my property again.  It would be clear he in not welcome.        

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If he was trying to get inside around my wife, I would tell him never to step foot on my property again.  It would be clear he in not welcome.          
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Since its only been stated 50 times already, I'd like to reiterate:

Ask them why, then ask which day and time they are interested in. Burn a copy of you see anything.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top