BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty much. What made you come around to seeing the light?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The government, at all levels, needs to divest itself of roads, highways and their easements.  There is no basis, not in the Constitution, and not in Scripture for the government to own any property.  These roads should be sold off to companies, who can then set tolls, fees and permit prices in accordance with whatever the market will bear.  You people who want to drive need to just buy your own roadways.  The DOT stifles innovation in roadiness, and the state, county and city are worse.

It's people like you that made me quit the libertarian party.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How does the character of the petty crooks in the state legislatures compare to the legislators and bureaucrats in Washington, DC?

Whom do you believe it would be easier to influence in order to convince them to sell their land to private entities, your own state government or the federal government?  I don't know about AZ, but in SC the state .gov is preparing to sell some 12,000 properties on the open market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The state legislatures are full of petty crooks that would be stealing the cookies  from the cookie jar faster than you can imagine.  These "conferences" are all about transferring Federal lands to state control where selected rich and influential individuals can acquire the deeds.

How does the character of the petty crooks in the state legislatures compare to the legislators and bureaucrats in Washington, DC?

Quoted:
The government, at all levels, needs to divest itself of roads, highways and their easements.  There is no basis, not in the Constitution, and not in Scripture for the government to own any property.  These roads should be sold off to companies, who can then set tolls, fees and permit prices in accordance with whatever the market will bear.  You people who want to drive need to just buy your own roadways.  The DOT stifles innovation in roadiness, and the state, county and city are worse.

Whom do you believe it would be easier to influence in order to convince them to sell their land to private entities, your own state government or the federal government?  I don't know about AZ, but in SC the state .gov is preparing to sell some 12,000 properties on the open market.

Cool, so if you want to hunt or shoot you just need to come up with the money for a piece of land.

Oh, but that will only last until people buy the land around you and start complaining about the gunfire.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The argument that all BLM land will be turned into HOAs is silliness.
View Quote

They don't have to be turned into HOA, they just have to be made unavailable to use without paying a fee.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Have you been out west? I have spent many summers in Florida, having grown up in Georgia, and you statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes I have and I am right the deserts are full of trash. Members on this site have posted
pictures on this site of it quite regularly. I have been to many State Parks in FL all
my life and never seen such a mess.

I have been out West myself and it is not rosy like you seem to be claiming.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

Very much so.

Have you been out west? I have spent many summers in Florida, having grown up in Georgia, and you statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes I have and I am right the deserts are full of trash. Members on this site have posted
pictures on this site of it quite regularly. I have been to many State Parks in FL all

You are fucking ignorant.

What you are talking about is the southern Immigrant routes, not eh majority of land.

This is what most of AZ looks like.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So basically, the most important thing is to be able to hunt on lands you do not own.
View Quote

No, but it is pretty damn important.

I like real Hunting and I have no interest in that bullshit you people call hunting wich is basically just harvesting of a domestic animal with a gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like real Hunting and I have no interest in that bullshit you people call hunting wich is basically just harvesting of a domestic animal with a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So basically, the most important thing is to be able to hunt on lands you do not own.

That's gonna leave a mark.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So that's the reason? You want to keep land from state or private control because you want to be entertained for free on land you do not own?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BULL SHIT.

States can manage the land just fine as is evident in the East.

No, they can't.

I've lived both places -- have you?  

The state "managing the land" equates to the state selling it off to the highest bidding developer and the land becoming useless to everyone but the people who want to build houses on it.

Again -- I've lived in VA, I've lived in the midwest, and I own property in Nevada.

I can go out on BLM land and shoot 1000 yards any time I want.  

Can't do that anywhere in VA that I know of, and certainly not without paying a range fee.  The only rifle range anywhere near Tidewater was up to charging three grand a year to shoot there last time I checked.

So that's the reason? You want to keep land from state or private control because you want to be entertained for free on land you do not own?

People plan hunting trips of a lifetime to come out west and actually "Hunt" for trophy animals.

Nobody plans those trips for NC.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck this...............
The only land open to the public in the NW is federal land. There's some small pockets of state owned land but everything else is private with no access. Well...........there is access to some private timberland but you have to pay $300-400/year to access it (per person)

Weyerhauser started this practice and the way people had trashed their land I can't say as I blame them. They ended selling the land off to another timber company, who recently sold it to a local native american tribe. 43,000 acres of beautiful land that won't be accessible any longer.

our state is billions in the red, they get a hold of all of the central cascade mountain range and it will be private soon as well............
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No.  The states want to sell the land off to developers and make all the states just like TX, where there is no public land to do anything with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are those states in a fiscal position to manage those lands that they want?

Once they get control and can sell resources off of it?  Absolutely.  It will make money for the state, more than likely.

No.  The states want to sell the land off to developers and make all the states just like TX, where there is no public land to do anything with.

Yeah. But they're "free" in Texas without welfare land.

Gr
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once they get control and can sell resources off of it?  Absolutely.  It will make money for the state, more than likely.

I assume this has already been pointed out?

BLM and its lands

And................

Table 1-3
Texas
168.22 million aces

BLM Lands
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well the FSA is alive and well here I guess.
View Quote

Tell me about your trophy hunting opportunities in TX.

And no, hunting for african  critters in a high fence preserve doesn't count.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

The state legislatures are full of petty crooks that would be stealing the cookies  from the cookie jar faster than you can imagine.  These "conferences" are all about transferring Federal lands to state control where selected rich and influential individuals can acquire the deeds.

There are very good reasons why the dry Western states need a preponderance of public lands, and I certainly don't expect the derptastic ignorance of East Coast Bible-based 8th-grade-education GD logic to understand.

Signing them over to a bunch of thieving lawyers in the state legislature is stupidity of the highest order and would completely destroy the quality of life in the West, aside from the water disaster, you might as well move down South or to Texas...  no freedom of movement on the land and home of the "No Trespassing" sign.

Fuck No.

View Quote

I concur.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. I've pointed it out before but these idiots have generations of ignorance teaching them that what they do is actually hunting. They have no idea what hunting is actually like.

Well, some of them do, and they pay big money and make big plans to come out west and actually "HUNT" for a trophy elk or deer instead of spawn camping on their hunting lease.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BLM and its lands

And................

Table 1-3
Texas
168.22 million aces

BLM Lands
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLM and its lands

And................

Table 1-3
Texas
168.22 million aces

BLM Lands

You should read the rest of the chart and the next several charts.

There is essentially no public land in TX.  BLM is apparently involved in managing what amounts to a tiny plot of 11k acres, which is a small ranch in TX.  Interestingly enough, I've never heard of this land, so I suspect it's somewhere so remote and desolate it's impossible to get to, or perhaps it's access roads to the minerals they manage (the first link you post is about mineral rights, not land).

The 168 million acre number is how many acres is in the state of Texas.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You should read the rest of the chart and the next several charts.

There is essentially no public land in TX.  BLM is apparently involved in managing what amounts to a tiny plot of 11k acres, which is a small ranch in TX.  Interestingly enough, I've never heard of this land, so I suspect it's somewhere so remote and desolate it's impossible to get to.

The 168 million acre number is how many acres is in the state of Texas.

View Quote

The 11K acres is a ranch in Amarillo IIRC..........I think I was there when working and travelling a lot.

The BLM administers a lot of oil an gas public land for Texas is what I get out of the chart and a lot of money is made just like it would be if the State administered it.

ETA:  Yup, it's in the Amarillo area but goes into New Mexico a bit I think.

BLM Amarillo Field Office

BLM Cross Bar Ranch
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 11K acres is a ranch in Amarillo IIRC..........I think I was there when working and travelling a lot.

The BLM administers a lot of oil an gas public land for Texas is what I get out of the chart and a lot of money is made just like it would be if the State administered it.
View Quote

Out west we don't have that, we have vast tracts of timberland that if the state were to own it they'd sell it off to private companies. I can think of one small tree farm outside Wilkeson, WA that still allows the public on it. Every other private tree farm in WA has gates on all the roads and the only way to get access is to pay $300-400/year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Out west we don't have that, we have vast tracts of timberland that if the state were to own it they'd sell it off to private companies. I can think of one small tree farm outside Wilkeson, WA that still allows the public on it. Every other private tree farm in WA has gates on all the roads and the only way to get access is to pay $300-400/year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if the voters in that state prohibited it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now THATS freedom and free market!

Gr
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The voters in this state  voted down a $500million baseball stadium...........they built it anyways.......politicians in this state could give a rats ass what the voters want or they'll limit it to a region of the state that will vote the way they want it to result.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The voters in this state  voted down a $500million baseball stadium...........they built it anyways.......politicians in this state could give a rats ass what the voters want or they'll limit it to a region of the state that will vote the way they want it to result.
View Quote

Although that is a fair point I would advise you to NOT put more trust in Federal politicians.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#21]
well it's "worked" so far.............if the Feds are in charge of all Federal lands there's only a few crooked people to keep an eye on.............hand that land over to the state level and good luck trying to keep up with all the back room deals going on late at night............
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
well it's "worked" so far.............if the Feds are in charge of all Federal lands there's only a few crooked people to keep an eye on.............hand that land over to the state level and good luck trying to keep up with all the back room deals going on late at night............
View Quote

I would counter that there  is every bit as much backroom dealing going on in the Federal political arena as anywhere else............probably MUCH more IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

Very much so.

You are fucking ignorant.

What you are talking about is the southern Immigrant routes, not eh majority of land.

This is what most of AZ looks like.

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/hunt023.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/hunt009.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/hunt001.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/deer07/deer07_042.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/deer07/deer07_034.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/jav10/jav10006.jpg

http://www.goobage.com/pics/hunt/jav10/jav10009.jpg

Now think how much prettier it would be under private ownership with tract housing all over it or bulldozed up and sold for profit to appease the anti government land folks!

Gr
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:34:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Now think how much prettier it would be under private ownership with tract housing all over it or bulldozed up and sold for profit to appease the anti government land folks!

Gr
View Quote

So in your opinion where should people be allowed to build residences?

Most of our cities were built on land every bit as beautiful as those areas pictured.

Please try and give a non emotional answer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys wanting to play wild man and *really* hunt or be able to shoot 1000yds(but without having to pay for it) isn't nearly enough justification to keep so much land under federal control. I'm not even going to address the ethics of using the government to prevent local people from developing property just so you can keep your vacation spot.

The fact that in order to enjoy land a person generally has to own it or pay a fee isn't some sort of injustice, I don't know where that notion came from.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:17:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You guys wanting to play wild man and *really* hunt or be able to shoot 1000yds(but without having to pay for it) isn't nearly enough justification to keep so much land under federal control. I'm not even going to address the ethics of using the government to prevent local people from developing property just so you can keep your vacation spot.

The fact that in order to enjoy land a person generally has to own it or pay a fee isn't some sort of injustice, I don't know where that notion came from.
View Quote

You do realize the notion of property ownership in this country isn't much more than two hundred years old, right?  The ability to have land available for use by everyone far predates your modern ideas.

The states have never owned this land.  Ever.  The land has been under federal control since the feds in many cases purchased or took the land.  Why should it go to you?  What gives you the right to say it ought to be removed from federal control?

We have some land that is set aside by Congress for a variety of reasons.  Some of those reasons actually pay out money to the states where the land exists -- in some cases states that are completely bankrupt and incapable of managing their own finances.

You don't make much of an argument

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Bring back the Articles of Confederation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Gr
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most of our cities were built on land every bit as beautiful as those areas pictured.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gr

On land they own

Gr
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, as broke as this State is they would sell it all off to pay off their debts to make their books look good. There would be one huge fucking mall from one end to the other...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THankfully there was nobody from CA there. Personally as much as I hate the large federal government I'd rather have them running the BLM than CA.

California would fuck it up in no time banning the camping, shooting, and off-road vehicle use that makes this state enjoyable.

Yep, as broke as this State is they would sell it all off to pay off their debts to make their books look good. There would be one huge fucking mall from one end to the other...

Just like what California has turned into.  Californians may seem crazy, but its because they have seen the beautiful natural resources of their state get sold away to the highest bidders and either made private or paved over.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:31:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

On land they own

Gr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gr

On land they own

Gr

But the flavor I got from your response was no one should ever own that land because you said:  "Now think how much prettier it would be under private ownership with tract housing all over it or bulldozed up and sold for profit to appease the anti government land folks!"

So where can people own land?

I mean if you are going to build residences you have to bull doze.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, some of them do, and they pay big money and make big plans to come out west and actually "HUNT" for a trophy elk or deer instead of spawn camping on their hunting lease.
View Quote

It could be worse...

There was a guy at the range last week whose wife paid for him to go on a buffalo hunt.  He showed up, they opened the gate of the pen, and when a buffalo walked out, he shot it.

I really don't see the point.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are you talking about the Shoshones in CA that were grub eaters?   but seriously, we are talking about lands that are in some cases so poor that even the noble and ignoble indians did their best to avoid some of these lands.  

(You seem to be interested in learning a little more about some of the area you might find these interesting, {url]http://www.amazon.com/Death-Valley-Amargosa-Land-Illusion/dp/0520063562/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397967167&sr=1-1&keywords=death+valley+and+the+amargosa[/url]  explorers, prospectors, con-men, "The Water Seekers" and "The Silver Seekers" by Remi Nadeau.  Nadeau is the 4th of the name IIRC, is a History Professor at UCLA oh well, but his Remi Nadeau the First was the guy that ran the company that ran the 20 mule team wagons that supported mining camps and other activities in the eastern California and Southern Nevada Mining Districts)  You should be able to get all via inter-library loan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get all that, but the point I was trying to make is BLM, whatever their reasons or how valid those reasons might be, rendered 600,000 acres useless to cattle ranchers.  That land is now no more useful than it would have been had nefarious ranchers destroyed it in the name of profit.  Useless land is useless land, regardless of how it came to be that way.

I'd also be interested in learning how, in the days before the coming of the white man, the Great Plains weren't desertified by enormous herds of bison grazing them unchecked by BLM oversight.

First of all, ranchers are not the only people who use that land.  The land is not useless now, any more than it was before.

Second, the bison were checked, first by the natives and then by the federal government later (and that program went too far as we all know).  The natives believed the land belonged to everyone and thus they had a responsibility to take care of it.  

OK, so let's take all that as fact and bring this around full-circle.  BLM needs to manage the land because private citizens cannot or will not do it.  Before that, Indians were required to manage the lands.  And, as you said in response to my original comments, nature has not done a good job of managing the land.  How, then, was land ever managed before human beings lived there?  How is it that life was ever possible without noble natives or upstanding bureaucrats to ensure that nature didn't trash itself?

Are you talking about the Shoshones in CA that were grub eaters?   but seriously, we are talking about lands that are in some cases so poor that even the noble and ignoble indians did their best to avoid some of these lands.  

(You seem to be interested in learning a little more about some of the area you might find these interesting, {url]http://www.amazon.com/Death-Valley-Amargosa-Land-Illusion/dp/0520063562/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397967167&sr=1-1&keywords=death+valley+and+the+amargosa[/url]  explorers, prospectors, con-men, "The Water Seekers" and "The Silver Seekers" by Remi Nadeau.  Nadeau is the 4th of the name IIRC, is a History Professor at UCLA oh well, but his Remi Nadeau the First was the guy that ran the company that ran the 20 mule team wagons that supported mining camps and other activities in the eastern California and Southern Nevada Mining Districts)  You should be able to get all via inter-library loan

Awesome--thanks for the titles.  I am actually pretty interested in learning about this stuff. I'm used to living in a region where you can set up wherever you want and be virtually guaranteed the necessities.  Things like "water rights" are alien to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Cool, so if you want to hunt or shoot you just need to come up with the money for a piece of land.

Oh, but that will only last until people buy the land around you and start complaining about the gunfire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how it is here.  If you live out in the country, it's pretty common to hear gunfire after work and on the weekends.  For example, I live between one and three miles of several very developed areas and the sound of gunfire is kind of like crickets in that it's just part of the soundtrack.

And yeah, you can either come up with a piece of land on your own or you might stumble across the idea that you could *partner* with other shooters and buy a ton of acreage.  Then, you can make whatever range with whatever rules you and your buddies want.

If you can't afford to partner up on some land, that's OK, too.  You can pay others who have already done so.  For example, $100 per year gets me membership in a private gun club which, BTW, happens to be adjacent to some land that's owned by a private hunting club.  So, if I go shooting a little over once per month, I'm shooting for the $7 that someone bragged about at a UT public range.  Since I go more, and since I bring guests who are not members, I am paying on average far less than $7 per day of shooting.  That includes rifle ranges from 25 to 300 yards, a training range, many "action bays" where you're allowed to set up whatever you want and shoot in every direction except backwards, plus ranges for the various shotgun sports. Down in the coastal plain things are a little different in that it's flat, but it's also lots of swamp.  Another gun club to which I belong manages something like 16,000 acres (which is a lot for this part of the country), and they have plans to expand their rifle ranges to beyond the current 300 yards.  But again, what are you going to shoot at 1k yards in a swamp?

Do I get to shoot at 1,000 yards?  Nope.  That sure would be nice, but that's pretty hard to do here because of the rolling (and downright mountainous) terrain. Unless you have hilltops that are about the same elevation and 1,000 yards apart, you have to move lots of dirt and rock to get to 1,000 yards.  While I would love to shoot at 1k, I don't really miss it as there's nothing I would shoot around here that's 1k yards away.  You just don't get clear line of site at those ranges thanks to veg and hills.  Different terrain altogether.

By the way, the Forestry Service manages a few national forests in SC, and three or four of them feature shooting ranges. However, the government-run ranges are all 100 yards.  That's really easy to equal on your own, private lot even if you're not a bazillionaire.  So around here, private landowners have built far nicer and far longer ranges than the federal government has.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well the FSA is alive and well here I guess.
View Quote

And exceedingly condescending.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Although that is a fair point I would advise you to NOT put more trust in Federal politicians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best to keep it in the feds hands, they are far more trustworthy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Staircase-Escalante_National_Monument

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So you found a picture of a trashed range and decided that all the beauty in the west is a myth?

You're talking absolute absurdity.  And I've seen plenty of ranges that were completely trashed in the east.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.

Very much so.

So you found a picture of a trashed range and decided that all the beauty in the west is a myth?

You're talking absolute absurdity.  And I've seen plenty of ranges that were completely trashed in the east.  

I am not talking about ranges. You are sure caught up on ranges.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then he beat you. He's a troll, not a libertarian.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:08:06 AM EDT
[#39]

I worry that the local, State-level politicians are more concerned about their own political power, than about our individual rights to use the land as we like.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#40]
A bunch of FSA members showed up in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a Virginian (unless you are a transplant) you should know full well what would happen if even the limited amount of federal land in Virginia was turned over to Richmond.

The ridge tops of the Shenandoah National Park and the George Washington National Forest would be studded with homes within a decade. So much for hunting/fishing in the GWN Forrest.

There could be one hell of a Mall built on the Manassas, Fredericksburg, and other Battlefield Parks. Throw in a couple dozen gated communities and golf courses while we are about it and your "justice" will be complete.

I guess it's a damn good thing you don't run anything. I think you would be better off in Texas.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Ever try to hunt in Texas?  My grandfather had to drive hundreds of miles and pay thousands of dollars to find a place where he could hunt, and he could only hunt from a stand, because the plot was too small and had too many hunters on it to be able to do anything other than stand hunt.

Unless you've got an in with one of the five land-owners in the state, you can't really hunt in Texas.  It's all private land.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, there are wild animals on that land.  Humans will hunt them, and will pressure them off the land, disrupting the ecosystem significantly.  

Second, ranchers (like Mr. Bundy and his friends), will run their cattle over it, graze it to the dirt, and what soil exists will be blown away and the land will be rendered useless.

Third, people will cut all the timber, leading to the same result.

Those are just a couple of things off the top of my head that BLM regulates to keep the land useful.

There are no animals or trees and the land has been "rendered useless" in Texas?

Ever try to hunt in Texas?  My grandfather had to drive hundreds of miles and pay thousands of dollars to find a place where he could hunt, and he could only hunt from a stand, because the plot was too small and had too many hunters on it to be able to do anything other than stand hunt.

Unless you've got an in with one of the five land-owners in the state, you can't really hunt in Texas.  It's all private land.

Ever try to hunt on public land in Utah?  It used to be you had to drive hundreds of miles to find a place that wasn't overrun with hunters, and then you had to spend the afternoon hiking around to try and find a side canyon that didn't have any hunters in it.  Ironically, the best places to hunt in Utah have always been private lands that are posted "no trespassing".

Nowadays, it's a little better -- but only because the Utah DWR significantly cut the number of permits they issue and made the entire state limited entry.  Even then, the best places to hunt on public land are the Cooperative Wildlife Management Units, which cost extra and are available only through a drawing which, thanks to demand, ensures it might take years before you get a permit.

In effect, it's public land managed as if it were private.  Ironic, that.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why is it in your mind that we dwellers in the West will destroy the land. That seems like a default response or conclusion in all your statements so far. Is your view of us really that twisted and out of touch?

My great-great grandfather came here with the pioneers, and took a desolate, deserted set of valleys filled with tumbleweeds, and made them some of the most productive regions of the entire planet.

Somehow, they were able to increase farmland and crops for over a century and a half, build infrastructure, transportation nodes, support the Pony Express, and blossom the area into what it is today.

We have managed mining and energy projects, had an awesome steel production capacity (until they were shut down by Federal regulation), and continue to flourish somehow, despite government interference.

Under President Buchanan, Johnston's Army came in to wipe us out, but this was averted by careful planning and delay tactics by the militia. After the illegal occupation and subversion of the residents of Utah was imposed, the Federal government leased much of Salt Lake City back to its inhabitants at 400% inflated cost, though they did nothing to help build it.

I wonder how it is that I enjoy all these State Parks, whether I'm in the East or West. That is something none of the BLM apologists can answer. I'll be camping with my Scout Troop on municipally owned and managed land soon.  I wonder how they do it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So we should just give public land they've been destroying for years to them so they can own it?  give away our resources so ranchers can make more money?

You don't understand the discussion.

Why is it in your mind that we dwellers in the West will destroy the land. That seems like a default response or conclusion in all your statements so far. Is your view of us really that twisted and out of touch?

My great-great grandfather came here with the pioneers, and took a desolate, deserted set of valleys filled with tumbleweeds, and made them some of the most productive regions of the entire planet.

Somehow, they were able to increase farmland and crops for over a century and a half, build infrastructure, transportation nodes, support the Pony Express, and blossom the area into what it is today.

We have managed mining and energy projects, had an awesome steel production capacity (until they were shut down by Federal regulation), and continue to flourish somehow, despite government interference.

Under President Buchanan, Johnston's Army came in to wipe us out, but this was averted by careful planning and delay tactics by the militia. After the illegal occupation and subversion of the residents of Utah was imposed, the Federal government leased much of Salt Lake City back to its inhabitants at 400% inflated cost, though they did nothing to help build it.

I wonder how it is that I enjoy all these State Parks, whether I'm in the East or West. That is something none of the BLM apologists can answer. I'll be camping with my Scout Troop on municipally owned and managed land soon.  I wonder how they do it?

That's a  very leftist thought process: private and local ownership is evil and corrupt and private owners (land owners, business owners, famers) will never do the right thing and will always destroy and only the federal government is good enough to take care of us and give us what we want.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, burn down all the national forests and build shopping malls derp.  Please, never leave VA, you deserve to stay there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your entertainment is justification for the federal government to own the vast majority of a state?  As long as socialism gives you what you want to do for fun, it's okay?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As a Virginian (unless you are a transplant) you should know full well what would happen if even the limited amount of federal land in Virginia was turned over to Richmond.

The ridge tops of the Shenandoah National Park and the George Washington National Forest would be studded with homes within a decade. So much for hunting/fishing in the GWN Forrest.

There could be one hell of a Mall built on the Manassas, Fredericksburg, and other Battlefield Parks. Throw in a couple dozen gated communities and golf courses while we are about it and your "justice" will be complete.

I guess it's a damn good thing you don't run anything. I think you would be better off in Texas.

View Quote

For the umpteenth time- no one is talking about privatizing national parks.  BLM land out west is not the same as national park lands out east.

Arguments like these are actually tempting me to go there.  If the federalists have decayed into this kind of stupidity then let's crash the whole thing via merely passing a budget and get it on because I like my chances against an idiocracy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

People plan hunting trips of a lifetime to come out west and actually "Hunt" for trophy animals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BULL SHIT.

States can manage the land just fine as is evident in the East.

No, they can't.

I've lived both places -- have you?  

The state "managing the land" equates to the state selling it off to the highest bidding developer and the land becoming useless to everyone but the people who want to build houses on it.

Again -- I've lived in VA, I've lived in the midwest, and I own property in Nevada.

I can go out on BLM land and shoot 1000 yards any time I want.  

Can't do that anywhere in VA that I know of, and certainly not without paying a range fee.  The only rifle range anywhere near Tidewater was up to charging three grand a year to shoot there last time I checked.

I've lived out west for many years  and hunted throughout  the west as well.  There are these things known as "cars" and "airplanes" that people use to move quite easily from region to region and not many people never leave the county of their birth anymore. Surprising, I know. Imagine a guy who lives in NC now, but has lived more time in CA, NV, WA too and has hunted and traveled, CO, WY, and Idaho.  Amazing new world we live in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You do realize the notion of property ownership in this country isn't much more than two hundred years old, right?  The ability to have land available for use by everyone far predates your modern ideas.

The states have never owned this land.  Ever.  The land has been under federal control since the feds in many cases purchased or took the land.  Why should it go to you?  What gives you the right to say it ought to be removed from federal control?

We have some land that is set aside by Congress for a variety of reasons.  Some of those reasons actually pay out money to the states where the land exists -- in some cases states that are completely bankrupt and incapable of managing their own finances.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, but the world is only 6,000 years old so what does it matter?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Let me guess, you're not from out west.

You're completely incorrect in your "what I see" assumptions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no!  No one wants to be like Texas with all those jobs and budget surpluses!  

From what I see, federal lands are roped off and nothing is done with them.

Let me guess, you're not from out west.

You're completely incorrect in your "what I see" assumptions.

I've seen too many 'state trust land no trespassing' in my life to be honest. Still the Feds need to be slapped down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on what that means, exactly?

I'm sorry, but Texas is a Godawful place to live, expressly because of the lack of public lands.  That's the reason you people have to buy up all the Elk tags in the Southwest, and why you see so many Texas plates in the NF lands in the summer.  Refugees.  Stay home and enjoy your no trespassing signs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OH FUCK NO.

There are very good reasons why the dry Western states need a preponderance of public lands, and I certainly don't expect the derptastic ignorance of East Coast Bible-based 8th-grade-education GD logic to understand.

Signing them over to a bunch of thieving lawyers in the state legislature is stupidity of the highest order and would completely destroy the quality of life in the West, aside from the water disaster, you might as well move down South or to Texas...  no freedom of movement on the land and home of the "No Trespassing" sign.

Fuck No.

Please take the dick out of your mouth when you post here

Can you elaborate on what that means, exactly?

I'm sorry, but Texas is a Godawful place to live, expressly because of the lack of public lands.  That's the reason you people have to buy up all the Elk tags in the Southwest, and why you see so many Texas plates in the NF lands in the summer.  Refugees.  Stay home and enjoy your no trespassing signs.

I've lived in az for 31 years and there plenty of no trespassing signs here. Your point is what?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top