BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you dont wear your seatbelt, you're a retard.

/thread
View Quote

As a FF/MEDIC, this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course I do.  Basic physics explains why you should.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Live Free or Die, right?

Absolutely how it should be, though. There's enough evidence in the safety of wearing seatbelts that you're pretty much knowingly risking your life not wearing it. And hey...that's your choice, your life. I wear mine...I could give two shits if you do, though...your life, your risk.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but it shouldn't be required by law, and it is not in New Hampshire for adults.  I think we're the only state that doesn't have adult seat belt laws.  ETA: Or helmet laws for motorcycles, though there are other states as well that allow for no helmets.

Live Free or Die, right?

Absolutely how it should be, though. There's enough evidence in the safety of wearing seatbelts that you're pretty much knowingly risking your life not wearing it. And hey...that's your choice, your life. I wear mine...I could give two shits if you do, though...your life, your risk.

Fuck if not wearing a seatbelt is illegal, then why do we let people ride motorcycles. Stupid law. My life, my decision.  I've been thrown from 2 vehicles now and both of them would have killed me had I been wearing the belt.

That said, I wear one in my Porsche just because it keeps me from sliding around. I made the dealer disable the annoying buzzer in my truck before I bought it though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Always wear it. Seen enough ejections. Worst was a partial ejection, was obviously a very beautiful woman, but as her head went through the windshield, it peeled her face off. She was sticking half through the windsheild and alert and crying... her nose, lips, cheeks, and part of her scalp were still stuck to the rough edges of the hole she made. Looked like a monster from a movie.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely.  Every time in every vehicle.  My dad installed seat belts in our 61 Bel Air and it didn't move till everyone had a seatbelt on.  To this day I get in my car/truck/SUV, start it up and then put on my seat belt before I check the gauges and engage the transmission to move the car.  I don't put it on to back out of the garage to wash it or to put it back in the garage.  If I'm firing up one of the old Camaros to let it warm up and drive it up/down the road in front of the house I put the seat belt on even though I won't be doing over 25/30 mph.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes I wear it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote

Or soon will be . . . right after your head meets the dashboard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
This happened yesterday due to improper wear of a seatbelt:

A Colorado Springs, Colo., woman died Friday afternoon after losing control of the SUV she was driving on U.S. 87 east of Raton and striking her head against the pavement as the vehicle rolled over.

Sharon Frank, 62, was pronounced dead at the scene following the accident that occurred about 2 p.m. 10 miles east of Raton. Investigators theorized Frank, the only person in the 2001 GMC Jimmy heading west, may have become confused as she entered a construction area and driven into the wrong lane of traffic in an area where construction cones direct traffic.

According to state police, Frank swerved off the highway to the north, then overcorrected, bringing the SUV back across the highway and causing it to roll over one a half times, with it coming to rest on its roof in the median.

Officers found Frank partially ejected from the vehicle with her upper body outside the driver’s side window. Her head had struck the pavement of the highway during the rollover, state police reported. The investigation showed she was wearing her seat belt improperly, with the lap belt in place, but the shoulder harness placed behind her back rather than across the front of her body.

State police Sgt. Chris Blake described the spot of the accident as an area at which the construction markers for traffic direction can be confusing.

“It’s a bad spot if you’re not paying attention,” he said.

State police listed the cause of the accident as driver inattention.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

Damnit. This explains everything. I could be one wreck away from putting a vote for Hillary sign in my yard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Wear it all the time.  Been in a few accidents.  In one a woman in a Volkswagon Beetle came out of a side street and I t-boned her car.  Her car then hit a parked car.  This happened 40 ears ago and I can still see her little boy being propelled from the rear seat into the windshield like it was yesterday.  Luckily he was merely shaken by the experience.  

I figure that if you are not wearing a seat belt the insurance company should not have to pay for you medical bills unless you get an extra rider on the policy.  Actions have consequences and you should be responsible for the results of your own decisions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#13]
My mom made me promise the day I first started driving that I would always wear my seat belt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I always use my seatbelt in the front seats. Occasionally I don't in the back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#16]
It's such an ingrained habit for me it feels weird to sit in a car without one on. Even if I'm just pulling my car out of the car to the street to wash it, I'll put it on when I start it without even thinking about it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote

Yep, and I've sent customers back to get their headrests from home, told them I will not test drive a car without the head rest.

Its always women worried about messing up their hair.

I'm guessing op has never been in a accident.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I always use my seatbelt in the front seats. Occasionally I don't in the back.
View Quote

What gets me is people who get in the back of a taxi cab and don't put a seat belt on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people ride in cabs unrestrained. I'm like WTF, if I wear a seat belt while I'm driving, I'm sure as hell going to wear a seat belt when some guy who's only been in America three weeks is driving . . .
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#21]
If the vehicle is moving, my seatbelt is on. My dad's brother was one to snicker at people who wore seatbelts - a year ago, he was t-boned by a dump truck, and the windshield of his truck sliced him in half from head to crotch. Buckle up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Always. I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Wear mine all the time while on the road.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The anti-seatbelt crowd is almost as dumb as the anti-vaccine crowd.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep, and I've sent customers back to get their headrests from home, told them I will not test drive a car without the head rest.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

i have before but only once, it was me when i was 17 (go figure right?)
pulling out to a intersection i saw the one car on my right,
i looked left and i thought the car on the right had passed me,
i pulled out and he hit the side of my bumper and took the front of my car off
im actually don't remember if i wore my seat belt or not, it was a relatively low speed collision,
i just remember thinking "oh shit my parents and going to kick my ass!!!!!"
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#27]
i actually wore mine today, i figured ill just try to cope with it,
im going to try to make it a habit,
i always knew i should wear it, but i never did,
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I bet this guy wishes he was wearing one. Or maybe not, cause' he'd be in jail.
View Quote
Ow.

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Always.

and this

Quoted:
The anti-seatbelt crowd is almost as dumb as the anti-vaccine crowd.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, I wear it most of the time. Guy A is a little extremist, but his point is 90% valid. Guy B is a jackass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ow.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet this guy wishes he was wearing one. Or maybe not, cause' he'd be in jail.
Ow.    

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow.

Seen it, both as an EMT and later observing autopsies, sort of.

I don't think seatbelts should be mandatory or ticket-able, but you'd be a damn fool not to wear one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Always.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Every time the car moves, it's on.  No ifs, ands, or buts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Needs more poll

And sometimes....maybe 40-60%of the time
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't go anywhere without a seatbelt on.

Plus, it's the law and stuff...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Why aren't there seat belts in school buses?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In my 67 it's not an option.  All others yes!
ETA for pic
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n619/Ordo6502/0726120954.jpg
View Quote

i added them in my 68

Because I would be DRT as fuck in my 70 without them

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]
100 percent of the time I'm in a moving vehicle.

It's automatic, I don't think about it, and sure as hell won't gamble my life on the stupid and very unlikely chance

that I might get into one of the VERY rare accidents where wearing a seat belt does more harm than good.

I play the odds as they actually are.  So I wear a seatbelt as it's good for you in MOST crash scenarios.

I know a couple of people who refuse to wear seat belts specifically because they know of crashes where wearing a seat belt made things worse.

I have quite a few words to describe people who think that way.

MORON is the kindest of them.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Seat belts impede my ability to hit the shift key.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

/thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I don't wear one. Buddy of mine flipped a truck that caught on fire and he couldn't get out because the seat belt had him trapped, and he died.

I understand that they save people more often than not, but I drive a 3/4 ton pick up, so unless I hit a semi-truck the majority of cars on the road aren't an immediate threat to me. If I drove a smaller vehicle I would probably be more inclined to wear a seat belt.

Definitely shouldn't be a law though, if I want to gamble with my life so be it, the state isn't here to save us from ourselves.
View Quote
I was driving a 1/2 ton truck back when 1/2 ton trucks were really trucks and not grocery getters. I stopped as someone in front of me made a left turn. A car behind me never saw us and hit me while going approximately 70mph. The cab crumpled around me and I was smushed between the car behind and the one in front. I never hit the steering wheel but stayed in my seat belt and I wound up in the floor board with the roof and back of the cab all crumpled around me. I wish  people had cell phones then. When the tow truck driver put the truck on the flatbed he said he had never seen a car/truck that smashed and someone live let alone walk away from it. The first person to arrive was a friend I went to school with who was a volunteer fireman. When he finally started talking to me I could tell he was crying. He recognized my truck and knew I was dead.

It took them almost an hour to get me out and I walked away with only a scratch tho I did take an eventual ambulance ride to the hospital as a precaution and got a cat scan.

Short answer. Yes I wear my seat belt.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to use them 95% of the time. My commute is 3 miles on side streats with a top speed limit of 30mph. I didn't see the risk or the point. That ended last year when I got hit in an intersection by a car that turned left in front of me when I was going strait through a green light. I got knocked out briefly because my head hit the post between the side windows.

That was lesson enough for me. Now it's 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seat belts impede my ability to hit the shift key.
View Quote

But you can tuck the neck of the bud light bottle under to prevent spillage
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Few years ago I remember an air force safety briefing on seatbelts.  Seems they did more harm than good in certain cases when not worn properly.  Turns out... the urban youth liked to drive like a gangster, with their seats reclined do the seatbelt was not touching them (still in front of em though) and in a head on collision, they would fly forward and puncture lungs with their now broken ribs from the sudden stop of hitting the seatbelt.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Why is this even a question?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Only when I drive nekid.
View Quote

So, all the time then...
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't wear one. Buddy of mine flipped a truck that caught on fire and he couldn't get out because the seat belt had him trapped, and he died.

I understand that they save people more often than not, but I drive a 3/4 ton pick up, so unless I hit a semi-truck the majority of cars on the road aren't an immediate threat to me. If I drove a smaller vehicle I would probably be more inclined to wear a seat belt.

Definitely shouldn't be a law though, if I want to gamble with my life so be it, the state isn't here to save us from ourselves.
View Quote

I'd say keeping you in the vehicle as opposed to having you thrown and land where other vehicles could swerve and wreck is a good enough reason to have a law.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top