Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well its generations after this but my first was a Haro Mira 540 flair that left this world after saving my leg from a stupid woman in a suburban decided to hit me on it.  Now I have a Fit trail 2.0.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a Kuwahara. I laced up some wheels with some pink sealed hubs that I got a good deal on so I then painted the frame black and found a set of pink Kuwahara stickers for it. That bike was SOOOO RAD! I actually snapped the head off of one frame jumping a curb so I had to rebuild the bike. My hay-days were aprox 1985-1992. I used to lay in bed looking at my BMX mags and staring at my posters. We had a few dirt BMX tracks that we built and a few buddies tried to build a half-pipe but the ramps we built were the best. I swear we launched so much crazy air before we even knew how dangerous it probably was. Never wore a helmet, pads, or any of that pussy crap...Those were the days. THANKS OP!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had an all factory GT Pro-Performer my freshman year in high school.

My brother took it out while I was on a school trip and got it stolen. I have tried many times to replace it, but never have.

My neighbor growing up was a sponsored freestyle rider. He had a RL that would sell for over $15k today.

View Quote
I've had two bikes ripped off. F bike thieves/all thieves.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I won the very first BMX race at Red Bud back in 1979.

My old man won his race as well, the fathers raced on our bikes and had to chug a beverage half way through. No BS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

started riding BMX back in 1971. Back then we had to pretty much build our own bikes. took a frame and chopped a section of down tube and seat tube out and welded it back up, then welded on some Honda MC bars. Robbed the three peice cranks off my sisters bike. Took the seat off my other sisters ten speed English Racer. Dug up various chain rings to find the optimum gear ratio and finally bought some knobby tires for it. Still riding today at age 53 in fact I just got home from down hill'n after I worked on a roll-in for a local dirt jump spot
View Quote

Good for you, I would like to see the 71 bike, I know that's impossible though. Here's my weekend roller.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone else hang on to their old school BMX bike? I can hardly ride the thing now.
PK Ripper XL frame 94
Boss Bars & Cranks
JP pedals & neck
S&M seat post & forks
Peregrine seat and 48 spoke double walled rims.
I keep the chain lubed and the tires aired up.
Saved every penny the summer of 94 at the family shop to piece it together one part at a time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Klaurie13/DSCF5128_zpsadf2de1e.jpg
View Quote

Great bike.
I was a freestyle kid myself.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I rode a Trick Star for a couple of years.  Great bike... wish I never traded it in.

It's not mine, but it's pretty close.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Had a Kuwahara. I laced up some wheels with some pink sealed hubs that I got a good deal on so I then painted the frame black and found a set of pink Kuwahara stickers for it. That bike was SOOOO RAD! I actually snapped the head off of one frame jumping a curb so I had to rebuild the bike. My hay-days were aprox 1985-1992. I used to lay in bed looking at my BMX mags and staring at my posters. We had a few dirt BMX tracks that we built and a few buddies tried to build a half-pipe but the ramps we built were the best. I swear we launched so much crazy air before we even knew how dangerous it probably was. Never wore a helmet, pads, or any of that pussy crap...Those were the days. THANKS OP!
View Quote
Amen, same here. We had a few local dirt jumps we would work on weeks at a time and get stupid on them. No helmets, pads etc...  Simple and good times..
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
84 Mongoose Californian

87 GT Pro Freestyle Tour.

Both bought new.
Delivered a lot of papers to pay for those two.
Actually, the 'goose got stolen by a kid that lived two doors down from where it was stolen.
Found it at the local hangout about a week after I got the GT.
Locked it to a pole, rounded up a couple of buddies and put a beating on the kid who was trying to break the lock off it.

ETA: I also have an assortment of NIB parts including a set of white Z-48s, some Mushroom II grips and a few other parts. And a Kappa Starsky, 1 of 12 made, 1 of 1 in that color (GT powder blue).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My old man won his race as well, the fathers raced on our bikes and had to chug a beverage half way through. No BS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I won the very first BMX race at Red Bud back in 1979.

Good times, that would never happen these days.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Those were the days. This a is a place holder for my 76' Mongoose pic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Great bike.

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/001_copy124_lg.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone else hang on to their old school BMX bike? I can hardly ride the thing now.

PK Ripper XL frame 94

Boss Bars & Cranks

JP pedals & neck

S&M seat post & forks

Saved every penny the summer of 94 at the family shop to piece it together one part at a time.

Great bike.

You ever try to get back on it? 50lbs and 20 years has not helped my BMX skills.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I rode a Trick Star for a couple of years.  Great bike... wish I never traded it in.

http://www.mauricemeyer.com/BMX/RobQ/pics/Vehicles/Trickstar06.jpg

It's not mine, but it's pretty close.
View Quote
Sorry man.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Redline PL20, 3 PC flite cranks, those hutch pedals that would remove any trace of flesh from your shin if you slipped one.

I remember my folks saying "for that much money it ought to ride itself!"  Took me a long time to save for it.

Used to spend hours flipping through the latest issue of BMA and compiling dream lists to mail order from Rockville BMX.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#16]
'96 Dyno Compe

2000 Dyno Compe

'96 Dyno NSX

and a '90 performer I'm working on

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm tempted to buy a 26" wheeled BMX cruiser :)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I use to have an '84 DB Viper and '85 DB Hot Streak. Both stolen.
Still wish I had the Viper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I tried riding the SE Big Ripper 29". I wanted to like it but I hated it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a 24. My 2012 Redline MX24

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is that a 24" cruiser? what manufacturer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is that a 24" cruiser? what manufacturer?
Yeah its a cruiser.

It's a parts bike my dad but together while I was racing thinking he might get into it so it's perfect for my now fat ass.

The frame has a made in the USA sticker and a Zombie 666 badge on the front thats all I know, the rest is run of the mill parts from the 90s, GT, Sun, Redline, Dia Comp etc...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I pieced together the majority of the unicorn of my youth last spring/summer.  Robinson XL Pro (in chrome of course), GT marked 3 piece Profile crank, GT Sprocket, Robinson bars, AME grips, Dyno Pro stem, GT seat and post clamp, 36 spoke GT hubs, ACS BOA brake.  All I need now are some pedals, tubes and tires (comp 3's for me please).

As a kid I had a few 2nd hand GT's and got a Robinson SST for a birthday but I always lusted after one set up similar to this.  Some of this stuff is ridiculosly expensive now that my age group is starting to get to mid-life age.  If you want to relive your youth or catch your unicorn get cracking before all of that stuff gets thrown out or is scooped up by those that are planning on it being the next muscle car/Star Wars collectable retirement plan.  There is still some N.O.S. stuff out there and ebay/craigs list holds some gems from time to time, also some of the wear items are reproduced by some people.

You can take a walk down memory lane here http://www.bmxuseum.com
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Just so you guys know. Skyway has released updated TAs in 20" and 24". The new owners of Hutch have announced an upcoming updated trickstar and Haro has released a twin top tube 24" Haro master and a 20" Mike Dominquez replica.

Besides the previously mentioned BMX museum, I do business regularly with the following online vendors

PlanetBMX
PorkchopBMX
Dan's Comp
flatlandfuel

All give me excellent service
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I pieced together the majority of the unicorn of my youth last spring/summer.  Robinson XL Pro (in chrome of course), GT marked 3 piece Profile crank, GT Sprocket, Robinson bars, AME grips, Dyno Pro stem, GT seat and post clamp, 36 spoke GT hubs, ACS BOA brake.  All I need now are some pedals, tubes and tires (comp 3's for me please).

As a kid I had a few 2nd hand GT's and got a Robinson SST for a birthday but I always lusted after one set up similar to this.  Some of this stuff is ridiculosly expensive now that my age group is starting get to mid-life age.  If you want to relive your youth or catch your unicorn get cracking before all of that stuff gets thrown out or is scooped up by those that are planning on it being the next muscle car/Star Wars collectable retirement plan.  There is still some N.O.S. stuff out there and ebay/craigs list holds some gems from time to time, also some of the wear items are reproduced by some people.

View Quote
I've been wanting to refurb my Robinson Pro XL it was a parts bike I got from a guy who worked at the bike shop, I always wanted to bring it up to factory spec instead of the Frankenstein it is.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Great bike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PK Ripper XL frame 94
Boss Bars & Cranks
JP pedals & neck
S&M seat post & forks

Great bike.

I have the same era Haro Master. Looked like your Sport but grey. It sits on my parents patio with a cracked frame collecting rust.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]
As one of my many mid life crisis, I have built 13 old/mid school BMX bikes.  They are recreations of bikes I had, or bikes I always wanted when I was into BMX as a youngster.
Still ride them weekly, but not as crazy as I did as a youngster.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]

seen these for 160 at el walmarto?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a Diamond Back Turbo I raced from 83-84. Then the Freestyle bug got me and I got a Profile Pro-styler in 84, a Haro Master in 86 and a Haro Team Sport from 87-90 when I quit. Today I roll on this retro 24.  </a>" />
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to refurb my Robinson Pro XL it was a parts bike I got from a guy who worked at the bike shop, I always wanted to bring it up to factory spec instead of the Frankenstein it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a kid I had a few 2nd hand GT's and got a Robinson SST for a birthday but I always lusted after one set up similar to this.  Some of this stuff is ridiculosly expensive now that my age group is starting get to mid-life age.  If you want to relive your youth or catch your unicorn get cracking before all of that stuff gets thrown out or is scooped up by those that are planning on it being the next muscle car/Star Wars collectable retirement plan.  There is still some N.O.S. stuff out there and ebay/craigs list holds some gems from time to time, also some of the wear items are reproduced by some people.

Hey I did it Jonny Cash style, "One piece at a time" over a 6 month period to get where I am, and almost there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#31]

I have not, what's the build quality like? You know how I am.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I had a Diamond Back Turbo I raced from 83-84. Then the Freestyle bug got me and I got a Profile Pro-styler in 84, a Haro Master in 86 and a Haro Team Sport from 87-90 when I quit. Today I roll on this retro 24.  http://<a href=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/tromboner_2007/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0555_zpsb7a8165f.jpg</a>" />
View Quote
Super clean.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a race inc all bullseye hubs crank ect and a uni seat my ass still hurts :)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
There's never been a better time to get back into BMX. The race bikes are lighter, the brakes are better, the rims are stronger. Flatland, which freestyle has become, are mostly hand fabricated frames by small companies in the US like back in the day. Even Eddie Fiola of GT freestyle fame is marketing a US made bike now. The EF Proformer. Basically a GT Performer with modern geometry, brakes, headset etc. They're every bit as fun to rip around your neighborhood as they were back then, and they fit inside the back of an SUV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Heh..I raced a Redline 600a and Freestyled a Skyway Street Beat bright ass orange bike
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had a Diamond Back Turbo I raced from 83-84. Then the Freestyle bug got me and I got a Profile Pro-styler in 84, a Haro Master in 86 and a Haro Team Sport from 87-90 when I quit. Today I roll on this retro 24.  http://<a href=http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc1/tromboner_2007/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0555_zpsb7a8165f.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

oh man I wanted one of those so bad!!!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have not, what's the build quality like? You know how I am.  

well I'm sure it will hold up better than my 65 mild steel rollfast with the tange fork

that i used to ride on single track and fireroads

but it's no Grove Innovations Hardcore

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought a bike to play on with my kids.  I've missed it, but my extra weight has destroyed one mongoose.  I went ahead and bought the DK(Huffy now ) Dayton.  It's all chromalloy with 14mm rear cassette hubs.  I threw some Animal Lino G pegs on and I'm good.  I still need to lose weight, but this bike will hold up until I do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll have one of these by the end of summer. I must have it.

EF Proformer

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
started riding BMX back in 1971. Back then we had to pretty much build our own bikes. took a frame and chopped a section of down tube and seat tube out and welded it back up, then welded on some Honda MC bars. Robbed the three peice cranks off my sisters bike. Took the seat off my other sisters ten speed English Racer. Dug up various chain rings to find the optimum gear ratio and finally bought some knobby tires for it. Still riding today at age 53 in fact I just got home from down hill'n after I worked on a roll-in for a local dirt jump spot
View Quote

Yup, 52 here and we had to roll our own. In metal shop I built a gooseneck to put motocross bars on a Stingray with a ten speed seat on it.
My first real MX bike was a Matthews Mono-Shock. What a pile of shit, the shock was too soft so all of your pedal thrust bounced you up and down. I built a steel spacer to take its place but it still sucked. The front forks flexed so badly at any speed you couldn't hardly steer it.
Next bike was a Panda, now that was a bad ass bike.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember back in about '71 one of the kids brought this out to the dirt jumps, interesting but weight was an issue besides the suspension....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a mongoose - the one with the arrow welding.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a Gary Fisher Cleo Moto similar to this thing:

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#46]
mongoose villian, had one with mags. its a shame they sold out to walmart

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I rode for Team Great Escape in 80-82. Diamond Back II.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Still have my Robinson SST, buried somewhere in my parents garage.  Lots of great memories on that bike!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I was more into street/dirt then actual BMX racing. My first bike was a GTbump, then I slowly built my own around a kink defender frame. Spent damn near 2k on the bike when all was said and done. Its sitting in my storage unit, all she needs is 2 new tubes, a good once over and maybe tune the brakes and she is ready for some handrails..
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Have a Schwinn Predator living in my parent's garage somewhere... I could probably try to ride it again but the memories are good enough.
Page / 4
Top Top