Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually have to sell one to buy one
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have sold a few to finance better guns.  Unless you need the money for something else, don't sell.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold a number of them over the years for various reasons.  Do I regret selling some? Yes I do regret a couple of the fifty or so that I have sold.

There are many times I think about simplifying it some, but I seem to never get there these days. Some day maybe.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I inherited guns when my father passed away.  I knew I'd probably rarely, if ever, shoot them.  SO I put them on consignment at the gunstore.  A Winchester 30-30, an old Winchester pump gun, a BPS (nice for a lefty.  I'm right handed).  a scratched up Model 19 and a few others.  Let someone else enjoy them.

Years ago I owned a 44 mag. Redhawk.  Amazingly accurate. Built like a tank.  And, because I did not reload back then, it cost a ton to feed.  Sold it to pay for a spring break vacation to Mexico (back when Baja was some-what safe).  I kinda miss it, but I also had a great time in Mexico.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of mine would be to hard to replace.  The ones that are easy to replace, I doubt I could sell for what I bought them for.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I decided the safe has to shut.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I went on a buying spree about 12-14 years ago.  In 2008-2009 I sold a whole safe load of guns here.  I am selling off most of my remaining AKs now on the EE.  My eyesight has taken a turn for the worse as I get older so I figured some young whippersnappers who can see the sights would be better off with them than me.

Since I moved to a little island in the north I figured I could put the money into a new outboard for my boat so I can fish on the lake every day this summer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]

I know what you are talking about OP every time I open my safe I see guns that haven't been out of the safe in YEARS.  I could sell half my stuff and never miss it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Sold a bunch and always replace with another one to take its place.

I like to trade as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Certain guns I will never sell.  Either sentimental value or they were a good deal.  Other guns I'm not attached to so I will sell to fund something else.

As I get older my tastes change so guns I say I won't sell today I might want to sell next year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe it's just me. I have regretted selling every firearm that I have ever sold....
View Quote

That's why I never sell.

Don't have to worry about regrets.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy, sell, trade....it's part of the fun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny you ask that.  I have just sold my last M16 and some hand guns.  Not missing any of them yet and don't see that changing any time soon.  The ones I need I'll have till the day I die.  Then my son will get them .  So no I have never missed a gun I sold.   But there have been a lot that I wish I had gotten more of when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#14]
If I get a lemon I'll sell it at the local gun show. Which I hate because it's usually the same guys that show up every time with their overpriced guns. Makes selling mine at, or more than I got it for easier.

That said, I thought about selling / trading my AUG a few times. Now its replaced the ARs. Still have the ARs, though.

I also had a Romanian Cugir manufactured PSL I sold a while back. It was a pretty fun rifle, but I wanted a normal 7.62 AKM rifle. Now that I've got the AKM O kinda wish I would've kept the PSL, too. It was a fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been upgrading my collection lately.  Bought a Shield and sold my CW9.  Bought an M&P Pro and sold my PT92.  If I find a 15-22 for a good price, I will buy it and sell my GSG-5.  I only have space for so many guns, and I don't need multiple items filling the same role.  Several guns I own I bought almost a decade ago when: a) funds were lower, b)knowledge was lower, c) and there are better options now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Had to sell some as part of the divorce
Prior to that the only one I ever sold was a FAL that was taking up space in the safe with absolutely no use of the weapon in years.
Sold it to a guy who could give it a better home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I've sold/traded some guns.  Some I really regret letting go, while others I was happy to see go.  At the same time I accumalate more guns that "I really, really need to have" and end up never shooting.  

By and large the reasons for each sale was that I needed cash quickly, though in one case I traded a

The following are some of the things I have sold and regretted:

Dragunov "Tiger":  traded that for a series 80 1911 back in the mid 90's.  Yeah, that was a dumb one on my part.
First garand from the CMP:  Original WWII barrel/receiver combination with a stock showing it spent some time at RRAD
03/A3 from the CMP:
stainless steel ruger mark II: honestly can't remember what became of that one.  it was probably the first pistol I ever bought..
Ruger Redhawk 44 mag: bought that one for backpacking...sold for quick cash.  mostly miss it due to the sentimental value it had.

there are others that I don't miss so much.

SA XDM in 9 mm: aka the "jam-o-matic"
Mas 49/56: had three, sold one to pay some bills. still have two.
Camo dipped Ruger 10/22: just wasn't my cup of tea
couple of field grade garands from the cmp.
NIB LEO marked 6920 sold post sandy hook...regret that one because I didn't gouge enough on the price.

Admittedly, many of my purchases have been impulse buys, especially during the past 6 years...but these days I try to be more selective in what I purchase...taking into account resale value, the likelihood of me ever shooting the firearm, and also giving thought to selling something else to help offset the cost of the new item.

ETA: I also consider selling a last resort...lots of work and dealing with other people is a hassle.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:15:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Need to see pics of your guns in order to make suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I sell stuff all the time.

I throw a lot of purchases at the wall (me). The good stuff sticks, other stuff goes.

I also buy and sell anything I think is a decent enough deal to make a profit on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]

The reasons I might selling something :

My personal wealth is not such that I can feed my thirst for new, historical , shiny , or whatever makes me covet that particular firearm

I don't always follow the advice of the masses. Sometimes when I see something I am interested in , from a quality firearm manufacturer , I buy it and do my own testing. In some cases , the masses are correct & I end up selling or trading it away. However, in some cases I end up with a "keeper".

I have ran across a smoking good deal on something I must have and been forced to liquidate items to come up with extra cash. ( such as an older Ruger Vaquero 44 Mag with 4 5/8 blued with case hardened frame - I miss that one)

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Buy, sell, trade....it's part of the fun.
View Quote
This; most of them I don't regret, however there are 2-3 I should have held on to.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
No, I don't sell guns but as I get older, I have come to realize that sooner or later we will all be divested of our collections by time. Don't be one of those dopes who dies and leaves a huge collection in the hands of an heir who knows nothing about there value, doesn't know what to do with them, and is so overwhelmed they pile them in the trash (with your old suits and other junk) call the police, or sell them for $20 each at a garage sale.

My $.02; own only as many guns as you can secure from unauthorized use, get your prized pieces into the hands of those who you want to have them BEFORE you pass (it is the ONLY way to make sure) for everything else, keep a complete inventory with serial numbers, pics and current values so your Heirs know EXACTLY what they have and what they are worth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I've sold lots of guns. I've regretted a few of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe it's just me. I have regretted selling every firearm that I have ever sold....
View Quote

not me..

I sold a vulcan AR15  

a walther p-22

Beretta bobcat

mossberg 500 with a pistol grip

A maverick bullpup. Useless fucking shotgun

and a  Romak 3. I sold that during the last panic and got a STUPID price for it.

I sold shit i either didnt need didnt like or was crap. Dont regret any of them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes , some I now regret selling , some were used to finance other guns!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:38:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I sold a few when I was younger and first married to pay bills, I have sold a few since but only so I could go right out and buy something else, the only thing I really regret selling is some of my Smith revolvers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have sold / traded a few. There are a couple that I regret selling, my 1st 1911, my Mini 14. There are a couple that I couldn't wait to get rid of and have never regretted selling, the Glock 21 comes immediately to mind Others like the Norinco 1911 and the Colt Double Eagle I'm ambivalent about, the norinco was just not very nice and the Colt I kind of liked but ever really shot much. They all went to facilitate the acquisition of something better or at least something I wanted more. My 1st AR 15, a Spike's mid length, that I really liked, was traded for a M1 Garand that I love. If I could afford to keep everything I would still have gotten rid of the Glock and the Norinco. Oh, and the POS AR7 survival rifle, what a piece of junk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Sold a few and bought a few from people.  If I never shoot it it becomes clutter to me. Why keep something you're not using?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#31]
I sold a Ruger P89 to my boss.  ONLY to fund a Glock 17.
I sold a Russian Makarov back to my friend.  ONLY to fund a Glock 19.

I'd consider selling/trading my Springfield Operator.  But only for a rifle
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Outside of a real financial hardship, the only reason I would sell a gun is to fund the purchase of a relatively expensive gun - something I couldn't easily pay for in cash.  Right now there's nothing like that I am even interested in.

I have a few guns I haven't shot in years but it's not costing me anything to let them sit in the back of the safe and collect dust until I need them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I've sold a few over the last couple of years so I could keep caught up on bills, sometimes unwanted expenses pop up.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Sold an HKUSP40 that I regret (but eventually replaced) and a keltec PF 9 which I couldnt care less about.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I sold every single firearm in my collection. From my transferable HK DLO pack/hosts to my everyday CCW.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I started selling off my firearm collection mostly because of seeing other peoples' collections getting sold off after they died.

One collection was sold off by my friend's father who was an FFL.  The owner of the collection dropped dead at an early age.  His family only wanted a couple 1911's.  This person had hundreds of rifles and pistols.  AR's, 1911's of all types never shot or taken out of the box, M1Garands, M1 Carbines, SKS's, revolvers, good guns, bad guns.

He could have never shot them all and the FFL selling them off for the estate was getting rid of them at cut rate prices just to liquidate them.

Another co-worker of mine dropped dead after he retired, no wife or kids and his only relative was a sister half way across the country he hadn't seen in years.

He had a gun safe with an AR15 in it I had sold him, an M14, 70's Series .45, revolvers, documented WWII Luger bring back with newspaper articles about the gun from his father who was a pro-baseball player for 20 years before and after the war. 3 World Series rings, baseballs signed by World Series teams his father was on.

Sister came into town and called an FFL to give her an offer on the firearms, he said he'd take them all off her hands for $500.00.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I started selling off my firearm collection mostly because of seeing other peoples' collections getting sold off after they died.

One collection was sold off by my friend's father who was an FFL.  The owner of the collection dropped dead at an early age.  His family only wanted a couple 1911's.  This person had hundreds of rifles and pistols.  AR's, 1911's of all types never shot or taken out of the box, M1Garands, M1 Carbines, SKS's, revolvers, good guns, bad guns.

He could have never shot them all and the FFL selling them off for the estate was getting rid of them at cut rate prices just to liquidate them.

Another co-worker of mine dropped dead after he retired, no wife or kids and his only relative was a sister half way across the country he hadn't seen in years.

He had a gun safe with an AR15 in it I had sold him, an M14, 70's Series .45, revolvers, documented WWII Luger bring back with newspaper articles about the gun from his father who was a pro-baseball player for 20 years before and after the war. 3 World Series rings, baseballs signed by World Series teams his father was on.

Sister came into town and called an FFL to give her an offer on the firearms, he said he'd take them all off her hands for $500.00.
View Quote

God that's sad, similar thing happened when my great grandpa died
He had a shitload of old turn of the century S&Ws winchesters, a bunch of trapdoors
A couple krags
Grand uncle sold them for 100$ and a snowmobile...a used one
My grandfather told the story all the time, fumed about it til the day he died
Never forgave his brother for that one
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had seller's remorse before.

If I could do it over I'd even keep the crappy purchases just to have the good stuff I let go.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top