Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2014 4:37:34 PM EDT
Today I pulled out most of my rifles and I wondered why I had some of them. At the time each was a must have firearm.

Yes some are just fun to shoot, some are practical for some scenario, I had wanted it as a kid or because of a movie, or some just because in my state I would not normally get a chance to try one. I have my go to, HD, SHTF, BOG etc stuff and now know what I like for that role. Some I don't know if I really want to keep and some debate letting go. Due to my location every buy is a panic buy and might just be my last chance. Should I sell, hold, get more, both, or what?

Ever sell certain guns? Ever think about it? Regret it?  Advice from the older and wiser Arfcomers is appreaited.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You should give them to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are not reliable they go out the door.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's just me. I have regretted selling every firearm that I have ever sold....
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
sold 3.  Don't miss them.  Too heavy of an ar will just sit in the safe.  My keepers are half the weight and more fun
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Do You have kids?
Maybe keep them to pass down.

Are You a shooter or collector?

I have sold some over the years and only regret a very few.
If You are not using it and the funds can be used to buy a gun You will, or upgrade a gun You will use more, I'm for it.
If it is a rare or hard to replace gun, Keep it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have sold one gun. I didn't regret it. I might sell another one here or there, but I generally just buy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what you're going to sell.
(not an old-timer when it comes to guns . .but)

Por ejemplo:

You have 3 shotguns (18.5 inches) and you get rid of the 1 you don't "want"....profit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe it's just me. I have regretted selling every firearm that I have ever sold....
View Quote

A Glock 27 and a S&W 3913...

Everything in my collection is reliable and serves a very distinct purpose.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have sold one gun. I didn't regret it. I might sell another one here or there, but I generally just buy.
View Quote

I sold two this week:

a SGL-21 that I bought two years ago and never shot

and

a RIA Tac that I bought in January and realized I couldn't afford to feed

The money is going to savings and a keezer build.  Considering I get to the range about 2x/yr but drink beer 3x/week it made sense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold lots.  May have a thought or two about them, but they are tools.  Some newer ones are better.  Some older ones will never be replaced, others I didn't care to shoot them anymore.    When an idiot pays a ton for an AR, you bet your ass I'll sell.   Guns are tools.  About to sell off another pile of them that I don't use anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Today I pulled out most of my rifles and I wondered why I had some of them. At the time each was a must have firearm.

Yes some are just fun to shoot, some are practical for some scenario, I had wanted it as a kid or because of a movie, or some just because in my state I would not normally get a chance to try one. I have my go to, HD, SHTF, BOG etc stuff and now know what I like for that role. Some I don't know if I really want to keep and some debate letting go. Due to my location every buy is a panic buy and might just be my last chance. Should I sell, hold, get more, both, or what?

Ever sell certain guns? Ever think about it? Regret it?  Advice from the older and wiser Arfcomers is appreaited.
View Quote

I buy guns

I don't sell them
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#12]
S&W model 10 when I moved to pistols.
Beretta Cheetah, why own it when a G27 is smaller?
Sold 2 ARs in the height of the panic to fund a bolt gun.
My Grandfather's .22 pump when I was young, broke and stupid.  Only reget on the list.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a couple of rough times where I had to sell some out of necessity, but have also sold to finance another gun or stuff for the ranch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Have sold everything but a .22 to survive.  You do what you have to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't miss my G27 at all.
Sold a Spikes AR, don't miss it. I have other ARs, nothing particularly special about that one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I buy, sell, and trade all the time. I've never sold a gun and regretted it, nor have I ever lost money on a deal. If it's an unusually great shooter, I got it from family, or I got it as a gift, I keep it a rule to not sell it. Any other gun is fair game.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I've sold a shitload in the last few years. No regrets, I enjoy a small stable of useful guns that I practice with and use frequently
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I've sold several, don't regret it.  They're all guns that can easily be replaced.  A Glock 17....DD AR...Ruger MKIII...nothing special.  At one point I wanted them.  At another point, I no longer wanted them as much and wanted the money for something else.

Others given to me by family, or more personal guns, I will never sell.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Sold my Barret 50 Cal to buy a KTM dirt bike.
I get much more use out of the dirt bike than I did the Barrett.

I used to be into C&R guns, not so much anymore.
I have sold off almost my entire collection of C&R guns.

Don't miss them.

I have also pared down my calibers to what I want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have sold everything but a .22 to survive.  You do what you have to.
View Quote

Yep, it's just stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I sell stuff often.

Rifle add is a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Haven't sold any yet.
Thinking about selling my G27.

The only guns I will never sell:

Remington Nylon 66 my dad passed down to me.

Glock 23 (my first handgun) my dad gave to me.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I traded my Sig 226 Navy model, that was used when I got it, for a Gen 4 Glock 27 and a box of Hydrashocks at the LGS. Moneywise, most would say I lost, but I got the Sig as a birthday present when I asked for a Glock, and I never liked how it felt in my hands. Over 1000 rounds through the Sig by me, and I just never really got used to it.

Best trade I ever made. I could have made money selling it myself, but I was looking for a gun I would actually have use for, versus a nice gun that I didn't like, and didn't suit my needs. Had I paid for the Sig, I would have lost on the deal monetarily, but since I didn't, I felt like I got the better deal. If I still had the Sig, it would be sitting in the safe collecting dust until the next range trip, my 27 goes with me to work every day, and gets replaced with my 23 when I get home and don't have to worry as much about concealment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have never sold a gun since the first one I have bought. I don't need the money so I have no reason to sell. Unless something I acquire is a piece of shit then it might go bye bye.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I've sold several but only regret one,  but needed the money and that was a Benelli M1 Super 90.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]
sold a lot of them

bought a lot, too
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sold one (to a friend).  

Regretted it.

Bought it back about 7 yrs later for what I paid for it.

No more regret
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I buy, sell, and trade all the time. I've never sold a gun and regretted it, nor have I ever lost money on a deal. If it's an unusually great shooter, I got it from family, or I got it as a gift, I keep it a rule to not sell it. Any other gun is fair game.
View Quote

Yep same here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes I have and no regrets. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
its not you. I have 2 that I've sold. regret selling both of them. One was a 10/22 that was fully customized. nice gun but it was just boreing to shoot. 2nd was a armalite Ar10 NM that I REALLY liked but I was having lots of issues with my .308 reloads and needed the money so I sold it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've sold a shitload in the last few years. No regrets, I enjoy a small stable of useful guns that I practice with and use frequently
View Quote

I came here to post this.  I used to be a quantity guy and over the last few years have sold several dozen guns, with a strict focus on quality.  

I have also began streamlining by caliber.  For semi auto pistols, I sold everything but my .40s, etc. etc.  I have also went with just a single hunting rifle that'll work across the board in the lower 48.  By doing this, I have only a select few calibers to load for, meaning less powder, primers, etc needed on hand.  

I will probably continue to sell items until I am just down to the necessities.  Nowadays, I find myself looking at my gun list and contemplating what else needs sold.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Sold to consolidate and get all the ones on my wishlist,over 40 firearms to one person

I'm down to 6
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Sold every single one of them back in January.  It was very hard to do but very necessary.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Meh, sell the ones you don't need/want to buy the ones you do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I've sold my entire collection during my divorce and a very low point in my life. I have always bought and sold guns depending on current trends. I did have guns i hated to sell, but i was in a survival mode, can't really regret it because being alive is more important sometimes.

I've been fortunate in I've been able to rebuild my collection,  and life is great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I've only regretted buying guns (at the time)... dont really sell them...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I have sold or traded more guns than I can remember.

I don't want to die with the most toys, I want to play with every toy that catches my eye.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think I will ever sell
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]
No will not sell
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Like some others, I have sold most of mine just to pay bills.
I have sold some to get something I wanted more.

Can not take them with you when you die.
Enjoy them, when bored sell or trade.

I don't, get wrapped up in accumulating stuff.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep thinking about selling a ton of guns I never shoot.  But then I think about wanting to give them to my son someday and I reconsider.  While most are not rare or extremely valuable now I don't know what the future will bring and I would hate to sell stuff now that he might not ever have the chance to get when he is older.  For example I just bought a VEPR 12 that I have absolutely no use for whatsoever but I could easily see how they could be totally unavailable or cost prohibitive in the future.  So when everybody dropped their prices on on them 200.00 I pretty much had to grab one. It is kind of like how I wish my dad had been into FA stuff in the late 70s and early 80s when I was just a little guy.   If I had to sell some to survive I would, but thank god I am not in that situation right now.  All of that said I have slowed way way down on my new purchases the VEPR was the only gun I have bought this year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
sold 3.  Don't miss them.
View Quote

I've sold 3 as well. I plan to sell two more from the collection, and then probably never again. I don't regret it. They were given to me and serve me no real purpose.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to be part of the never sell your guns crowd until last year.  Then I traded off two C&R rifles (I still have nicer examples of both.) and a Ruger LCP I hated, for a new Sig P238.  I broke even on the deal and don't regret it at all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Sold a few.  Usually when I don't shoot something for at least a year I know it's safe to let go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If they are not reliable they go out the door.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sold a few.  Usually when I don't shoot something for at least a year I know it's safe to let go.
View Quote

I have a few I've never even shot, but don't plan on getting rid of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't think I will ever sell
View Quote

Same here............
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Will never ever sell again..... it was a nightmare
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#50]
unreliable - off they go

maybe you should try consolidating
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top