Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2014 4:00:40 PM EDT
If you are interested in how this all began, watch this.

For context, I had to build my first machine, an Altair. (sigh, the memories.)

BBS Documentary - The BBS and Personal computer fuse being lit.

After making a career of telecom, then remote instrumentation and web development, I look back via this
documentary and see the exact moment where I made my decision to be a computer scientist and engineer.

What a stroll through time, a time I thought lost. A time rolled up in my personality and career.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I started in the early 90s. My dad ran a BBS and I was on it. I would have been 12 in 1993. I actually still have his US Robotics 16.8 Dual Standard modem still. It's one of those old big ass long flat types. He still has a bunch of useless old (and probably inoperable) computer junk from the 80s and shit in storage. I highly doubt any of it is any good anymore after being in storage in the Phoenix, AZ heat for years. It's not like he'll ever hook any of it up and use it ever again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
TL;DW

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My first computer experience was playing Lunar Lander on a mainframe as a kid in my uncle's engineering lab at the University of Illinois in 1975.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I wrote programs on punch cards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Still have mine... And it still works.

Wow... That was weird... Photobucket linking to different pics

Trying again

But this was later... So I guess I am a looser.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first computer experience was playing Lunar Lander on a mainframe as a kid in my uncle's engineering lab at the University of Illinois in 1975.
View Quote

I am with ya. Space Wars on a PDP 8 in 73 was my first experience. It had a Tektronix color printer attached. Research Triangle NC.

BTW, I was a big TRS-80 M1 guy. Still have my first mainstream computer. and it works.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't write code on punch cards till the mid 80's. FORTRAN.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My mom programmed banking computers with punch cards in the late 60s.   I got my first home PC in 79.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
So did I.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So did I.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So did I.

Me too.  When I did my masters thesis I was the first one on campus to write a thesis on a word processor (main frame) and printed via computer as opposed to a typewriter.  The math dept had a fancy daisy wheel printer that met the print quality requirements and let me print my thesis on it.

My first computer was an IBM PC with no hard drive and a single floppy disk - may have been a double sided, double density I think.  I still remember upgrading it to a 20 MB hard drive and a second floppy.  Woot woot!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
PET 6502 qualifies. I will allow 77. (This is all in fun guys, no pissing matches)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I wasnt even born until '83.  

Forever a noob.

:-(

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I'm a newb.  

But I knew a few DOS commands before I could actually read and write...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Me too.  When I did my masters thesis I was the first one on campus to write a thesis on a word processor (main frame) and printed via computer as opposed to a typewriter.  The math dept had a fancy daisy wheel printer that met the print quality requirements and let me print my thesis on it.

My first computer was an IBM PC with no hard drive and a single floppy disk - may have been a double sided, double density I think.  I still remember upgrading it to a 20 MB hard drive and a second floppy.  Woot woot!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So did I.

20MB hard drive was chick bait. (Contrary to archeological reports, there were chicks that were into computers) I married one, an ATARI freak. Don't judge.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So did I.

punch cards and paper tape, until I was given my very own RT-11 boot disk, then I did all my development using TECO on a PDP-11.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a heathkit pc I don't remember if 70's or very early 80's
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Built Z-80 based machine in early 70's.

2K x 8 of memory - etched board and drilled every hole and soldered each mem chip.

Good news is could use power supply as a welder if needed!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

20MB hard drive was chick bait. (Contrary to archeological reports, there were chicks that were into computers) I married one, an ATARI freak. Don't judge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So did I.

Pics of "ATARI freak" wife.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Then I'm a newb.  My first machine was a C-64, but honestly I never got the hang of it.  The first one I picked up on was an 8086 running MSDOS 3.3.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Before 1975
Use front panel switches
Octal switches for address - enter then
Octal switches for data - enter
Repeat until bootstrap complete
Press Run - enables paper tape reader
Read paper tape - enables Diablo disk drive
Diablo disk drive enables terminal
Using boot disk - enter data using terminal
replace boot disk with data disk
Run program
Replace disks as necessary
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I can remember walking out of American Computer Traders ( now sadly closed ) in mid 1992 with my first ever hard drive.

As I rushed out of the store with my first ever hard drive, it felt like the clouds opened up  and angels were singing.
I had a Used ( 1 Year Warranty! ) 40MB hard drive that was just about the size of a firebrick. The whole way home where my Tandy PC was already open and awaiting the insertion, I couldn't believe I was able to get a 40MB HD for only $400 out the door. And OMGWTFBBQ FORTY MB I will NEVER be able to use all that space!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#22]

MS-DOS my ass CPM rules
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

After making a career of telecom, then remote instrumentation and web development, I look back via this
documentary and see the exact moment where I made my decision to be a computer scientist and engineer.

What a stroll through time, a time I thought lost. A time rolled up in my personality and career.

Enjoy.
View Quote

kinda sucks that you spent most of your life without any real technology.  imagine a galaxy note 3 in 1975.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
If your name isn't Ada Lovelace, you are a newb.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Still have mine... And it still works.

Wow... That was weird... Photobucket linking to different pics

Trying again

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/jfg_4/misc/computers/pet/IMG_0031.jpg

But this was later... So I guess I am a looser.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/jfg_4/misc/computers/pet/IMG_0036.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/jfg_4/misc/computers/pet/IMG_0033.jpg
View Quote

Yep, I remember those except my first computer was the Trash-80 (TrS-80.) From there I went with Apple's but did early work on VAX systems. Who remembers Gates talking about no one would ever need more than 4MB of RAM. Good times, good times.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#26]
VIC-20 N00b checking in.    I wrote tighter code in that big 3.5k than I do now.  :)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there anything worse than someone picking up the phone and killing the connection right as a long download is about to finish?

I would occasionally set up BBS software for some friends to connect to. Really would have been nice to have a second phone line though...

I think the last time I managed to connect to a BBS with a slow modem must have been around 2003. I had pulled out my old 300 baud modem and found a BBS that was being run off a 2400 baud modem that would slow down enough to talk to a 300, and the computer that was hosting the BBS was something really silly like a TI-99 or something like that.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember playing Wumpus on a PDP-8(?).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
My first professional job was as a tech for Mohawk Data Science....who built the data-recorder. The first key to tape machine. Huge stuff.

MDS 6400

The 6400 was TTL...transistor to transistor logic, pre IC. Quite challenging to run out a logic problem with an oscilloscope and change out the offending component.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
VIC-20 N00b checking in.    I wrote tighter code in that big 3.5k than I do now.  :)
View Quote

Vic-20 here, too.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Newbie here. Didn't get started until the ripe old age of 6 in 1979 when I started learning how to write code in BASIC on a TI-99/4. Upgraded to a TI-99/4a by the age of 9 and wrote my first graphical game with sound and joystick controls. Now I'm just a lowly IT Infrastructure Architect.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Best friend(and next door neighbor)'s dad worked for Tektronix.  I remember picking horses for a horseracing game that would print out on fanfold paper.  They also eventually got a Pong game that we played on a black and white TV.

ETA: It was a Decwriter, iirc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I wasn't even alive
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Very interesting videos.  That brought back some fond memories of pre-internet social media.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Was working in the garage with my dad when I was home on leave, and he pulled out a box of punchcards and expounded on the advantages of punchcards over magnetic tape. Even could still read the cards. He did pretty well for himself in telecom, and the database wars.        
Quoted:

Enjoy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Lots of "you don't know shit" "shut up noob" 'puter angst going around these days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Enjoy.
View Quote

My BBS is still listed here, and at least one other place which I won't link because it also has my personal email address, which will turn 20 years old this year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lots of "you don't know shit" "shut up noob" 'puter angst going around these days.
View Quote

20 years ago this type of knowledge was something special... now it is more than commonplace.  Think of the kids of today buried in their iPhones.... their parents had far less exposure at the same age.  It's "in my day" talk of technogeeks.  

I will always have a special place in my heart for these folks... seriously.  Many of their generation treated (treats?) computers as some sort of necessary evil, the silicon satan that their kids told them they should have.  Not the older generation of technogeeks... they embraced and learned this technology before it was cool.

My hat goes off to you, ladies and gentlemen.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#40]
A bit dated now, but fascinating nonetheless.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

PET 6502 qualifies. I will allow 77. (This is all in fun guys, no pissing matches)
View Quote

Oh man, 6502.  The first assembler I ever wrote was for 6502, stupid 12 addressing modes were the death of me.

The PET and the Apple ][ both used it as I recall.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#42]
My first computer.  That would have been about 1979 or so.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Enjoy.
View Quote

Altair was late in the game.

Real geeks were soldering their Southwest Tech's together at that time.  I was pushing cars around at my dads feet, but we were running lego cars with it a few years later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

20 years ago this type of knowledge was something special... now it is more than commonplace.  Think of the kids of today buried in their iPhones.... their parents had far less exposure at the same age.  It's "in my day" talk of technogeeks.  

I will always have a special place in my heart for these folks... seriously.  Many of their generation treated (treats?) computers as some sort of necessary evil, the silicon satan that their kids told them they should have.  Not the older generation of technogeeks... they embraced and learned this technology before it was cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really dig the old school "in the beginning" stories of the 60's,70's and 80's and have been actively seeking out vids on the subject over the last year.

One of my favorites.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2332168287/
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#45]
First computer in 1983, then on to the C-64 and 128.  Wanted an Amiga but never got one..

Payed 10 cents per minute to be online dialing long distance from Alaska to Washington and connecting to Q-Link and many BBS's -  Used to start a 512K download on my ultra fast 400 baud  modem, then go to the store buy something to cook for dinner, sometimes the DL was done when I got back - sometimes not.

Took COBOL and went on from there and have been involved in IT in some form since 1986.  It was, and is, fun.

Just for kicks- The average historical price of ram:  http://www.statisticbrain.com/average-historic-price-of-ram/  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If your name isn't Ada Lovelace, you are a newb.
View Quote

Well played, Fiver, well played
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#47]
while not into it as early as some I remember my moms kaypro II and attempting to  programming on a TI-99 or a clone only to run out of memory.  It was great to go to school and work on a apple II.  

speed
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]
plz don't nop-sled my buffers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am a member of the club joined in 1962.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#50]
First programming class I took we had to do one project on punch cards.  That would have been after 6th grade in 1980 or thereabouts.

Never again.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top