Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad there not getting rid of the A10

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We seriously need to have a presence in Poland and the Baltics. I wouldn't be against pre-positioning a couple of divisions worth of armor and mech infantry equipment there and drawing up plans for a REFORGER style deployment to those countries.

Poland looks like good Tank country if you can keep air superiority.

Glad there not getting rid of the A10

My idea is to give the A-10s to the former eastern bloc nations in a super-sweetheart deal, particularly Poland.  A modern lend-lease, only instead of obsolete destroyers, it's tank busters.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We need to liberate the hot Polish women...FROM DEY CLOTHES!1!1!

http://i61.tinypic.com/fucpci.jpg
View Quote

Sign me up.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK then. You know more about the aircraft than the people building, flying and maintaining it. Gotcha.
No I just know a lying used car salesman on TV when I see one. That is essentially the video you posted. What if I claim that I'm going to build a hover tank that can destroy all air threats from the ground. Just give me a trillion dollars. Inshallah it will be done.

And as for CAS, while not a perfect solution, it is still equal to or superior to any of the legacy fighters currently in service when it comes to that role. And more importantly, it can actually survive on a modern battlefield against modern defenses.
It isn't just an imperfect solution, it isn't a solution. As we already discussed, the best place for the pilot to stay safe is in moms basement.

What is your solution? Buy a bunch of prop driven planes? Those might work well when facing guys armed with nothing more than AKs and RPGs. But against anything more advanced, they would be death traps incapable of performing the mission. Why waste money on such obsolete shit that is only useful against goat herders? The next people we have to fight might just possess a degree of capability. We can't field dozens of designs devoted to specific niche missions. So you build the best aircraft you can capable of performing a variety of missions across the entire spectrum of warfare. CAS isn't the only mission in the air battle.
We are in a war with goat herders. We have needed a CAS solution for that war for over 10 years. Your argument is about as valid as ditching the P51 in 1943 so we could develop a more advanced fighter to ward off a potential space alien invasion. Who cares about the Nazis. It's the aliens you should really fear.

The A-10 costs 15X as much as a propeller aircraft. The F35 will probably end up costing 100X as much. Mass is a principle of war right? You do the math.

Instead of ditching 50 A-10s or 200 propeller planes so we can afford one or two more sexy new planes the used car dealer is selling, maybe we should hedge our bets on some known technology that will work against a known threat? Nah that's crazy talk.

Well then, since you seem more concerned with cost and hedging your bets on known quantities, why not just buy more mortars and howitzers? After all, they are cheaper. They have excellent loiter time. An artillery battery typically has many more rounds available to them than a pair of fighter/attack jets. They operate in all weather, day or night.  And if it is mass you want, a whole artillery brigade of one-five-fives opening up at once creates quite some mass. Meanwhile, we'll just forget about everything else too. Why bother with air superiority? I mean none of our current or potential enemies could bring advanced and/or high performance aircraft against us, like the Su-27, the Su-30, the Su-34, the Su-35, or the MiG-29/35.  And there's absolutely no way in hell that Russia will ever get the PAK-FA into service or the Chinese will get their J-20 operational. It is just fantasy stuff like space aliens. Besides, our massive fleet of inexpensive Super Tacos could handle such threats with no problem whatsoever. We don't need expensive, advanced new fighters capable of doing multiple missions to meet emerging threats. We'll just blot out the sun with those enormously capable Super Tacos and blast those Sukhois into smithereens if they are so foolish as to challenge us. The troops on the ground absolutely will not notice any difference whatsoever and those mighty Super Tacos will ensure that no potential enemy aircraft will ever be able to attack our ground forces. And in doing so, we can get rid of all these ineffective F-15s, F-16s, B-52s, and the massively expensive B-1Bs, B-2As, F-22s and F-35s and scrap the interdiction and nuclear deterrence missions too. What need could we ever have for such aircraft? I mean there's zero chance they might ever have to face an enemy that doesn't use donkeys for transportation, right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

She's worth dying for
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's worth dying for

better be AFTER anyway...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

snip
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

snip

I don't know how you took comments on using .5 billion in hardware with limited Time on Station for CAS and morphed it into getting rid of the AF and all its assets.

Someone must of struck a nerve.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't know how you took comments on using .5 billion in hardware with limited Time on Station for CAS and morphed it into getting rid of the AF and all its assets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

snip

Nah, I was just being a wee bit sarcastic toward a poster who seems to think we couldn't possibly face any advanced threats that would make aircraft like the F-22 or F-35 necessary. His attitude is that if it isn't super cheap and designed specifically for CAS, it is useless in that role, which just isn't true. But it is true that an aircraft like he describes would be completely useless for any mission outside of CAS against anything other than low capability threats. In a day of shrinking budgets and with a military that keeps getting smaller and smaller, being able to do more with less is the name of the game. That makes being multi-role a priority. An F-35 might not be an ideal CAS platform like the Super Taco or other prop driven designs. But unlike the Super Taco, it can handle other important missions such as air superiority and interdiction.

If it were left up to me, I'd allow the Army to go ahead and purchase fixed wing aircraft to compliment their fleet of attack helicopters in the CAS role. Since they won't need to be worried about the air superiority, interdiction/deep strike and strategic bombing missions and can focus exclusively on CAS, an aircraft such as the Super Taco or something similar might meet their needs just fine. But the Air Force has other missions than CAS that they are required to perform. And since Congress hasn't seemed willing to fund any specialty aircraft designed to perform one mission really, really well since the 1970s, the Air Force has been forced to go all in on the multi-role platforms. Maybe that situation would be improved if CAS was primarily performed by the US Army. They already possess their own helicopters, reconnaissance drones and theater lift resources. Why not let them use armed airplanes too?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NSS?  Lulz.

Again, our interests end where our troops are at.
View Quote

So true.

As long as we don't have a real strategy, an identified enemy, or a real priority and focus, we will continue to be the global security puppets that pretend we can be everywhere and solve everything until we can't print anymore money. Hitler thought he could take and hold W Europe, Russia and Africa while isolating Britain from the sea and Air. At this point we are just as delusional. Pivot to the Pacific and try to maintain the Navy, buy fancy shit for the AF to invade china, cut 80,000 troops, send more forces to Europe, combat global terrorism which may or may not include COIN. We should name our "strategy" DDF deluded and divided forces.  

Say what you want about Bush and GWOT, at least everyone knew what the threat and priority was.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]

I was living in Reno, NV the year University of Reno did an exchange program with Poland. Imagine 500 blond haired, blue eyed, 5'8" tall, and 125 pound beauties. EVERYONE OF THEM.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Cold War was not about defending Europe or anything else. It was about containment. We had to contain the Soviet Union.
Noe Russia is going back to their cold war tactics. The only counter to this is to contain them and isolate them militarily and economically thus we must revert to cold war tactics.
Moving troops to bases in Poland and the Baltics is the only solution. We don't need the numbers we had all over Europe at the height of the cold war but neither can we ignore the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in my 30's, so the cold war was before my time. I'm not criticizing what we did then. I'm suggesting that returning to those glory days is a retarded concept. Europe's economy has had ample opportunity to rebuild. Ours is declining. We face an actual threat that we have not yet figured out how to definitively defeat. Maybe we should focus more on our own security threats than the threats that primarily oppose our allies who have existed under the defense umbrella paid for by the US for 70 years. Russia can't really threaten US vital interests as long as we have Nukes. If we really want to protect Poland, we can do it from Montana. Obama even has a red phone he can pick up and tell Putin that himself.

What did Poland do to help in Iraq and Afghanistan? That's what you get in return. Don't like it? FOAD.

The Cold War was not about defending Europe or anything else. It was about containment. We had to contain the Soviet Union.
Noe Russia is going back to their cold war tactics. The only counter to this is to contain them and isolate them militarily and economically thus we must revert to cold war tactics.
Moving troops to bases in Poland and the Baltics is the only solution. We don't need the numbers we had all over Europe at the height of the cold war but neither can we ignore the situation.

So we are pretty much saying the same thing. A Brigade or two maybe. Even that is arguably unnecessary though. Just pick up the red phone. Tell Putin that Westward expansion into NATO member countries will result in Nuclear war. If we have a ton of guys sitting around with nothing better to do, and someone must go liberate Polish vaginas from tyranny I will go. Send me. Whatever makes people feel better.

Feelings>Economic reality. Maybe we should title the NSS "A strategy of our pivoting emotions"
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
We've already had boot on the ground in the Central African Republic--10k more enroute...where's that outrage?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll bet McCain is still celebrating this move.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Heading to Poland next month:)
View Quote

I was there yesterday. Will be back next month.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the chicks there as hot as they say?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We've already had boot on the ground in the Central African Republic--10k more enroute...where's that outrage?

View Quote

No worries bro. It's a key part of our National DDF Strategy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So we are pretty much saying the same thing. A Brigade or two maybe. Even that is arguably unnecessary though. Just pick up the red phone. Tell Putin that Westward expansion into NATO member countries will result in Nuclear war. If we have a ton of guys sitting around with nothing better to do, and someone must go liberate Polish vaginas from tyranny I will go. Send me. Whatever makes people feel better.

Feelings>Economic reality. Maybe we should title the NSS "A strategy of our pivoting emotions"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in my 30's, so the cold war was before my time. I'm not criticizing what we did then. I'm suggesting that returning to those glory days is a retarded concept. Europe's economy has had ample opportunity to rebuild. Ours is declining. We face an actual threat that we have not yet figured out how to definitively defeat. Maybe we should focus more on our own security threats than the threats that primarily oppose our allies who have existed under the defense umbrella paid for by the US for 70 years. Russia can't really threaten US vital interests as long as we have Nukes. If we really want to protect Poland, we can do it from Montana. Obama even has a red phone he can pick up and tell Putin that himself.

What did Poland do to help in Iraq and Afghanistan? That's what you get in return. Don't like it? FOAD.

You honestly think Putin would buy a threat of nuclear war from Obama? ..............

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"puts tin foil hat on"

now their plan comes into focus=

drawing down the military and spreading them out over the globe leaves home soil unprotected

solution=

rile up the citizens with threats of taking their firearms

watch them BUY their own firearms to protect themselves on THEIR own dime

sneaky bastards

View Quote
No, they are getting rid of the largest group of people who took the oath to support
                 and defend the Constitution of the United States against all
                 enemies, foreign and domestic.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Any rumors yet on the size or composition of the force being sent?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You honestly think Putin would buy a threat of nuclear war from Obama? ..............

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if he isn't scared of offensive Nukes that can wipeout Moscow, he will be scared of conventional forces that might stave off an invasion of Poland?

Looks like another win win situation for Putin. He can rattle his saber and the US will spend Billions deploying to Europe. Looks like he took a page out of the NK playbook.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#19]
No shit, it's a losing "battle" with the current POTUS. He will take Ukraine and no one will do a damn thing about it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Canadian troops are on 24hr standby....not sure for how long. They gotta keep their bags packed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
gee, you think Obie wishes he'd had that missile defense shield in place he denied Poland 4 years ago..
View Quote

Hey they SENT the Patriot Launchers.....they were EMPTY, But they sent the Launchers
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hey they SENT the Patriot Launchers.....they were EMPTY, But they sent the Launchers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
gee, you think Obie wishes he'd had that missile defense shield in place he denied Poland 4 years ago..

A rather accurate metaphor for zero's entire foreign policy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

MND=Multi-National Division... they had a Division Plus size element there.  And for their Army, it was almost half their active duty ground forces...they don't exactly have a huge standing Army...they were good peeps...they even laughed at Pollock jokes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa...let me guess you were late to the whole GWOT thing, right? Because The Polish were right there with us in Iraq...they owned MND-Center South in Iraq...and they helped during the invasion as well.  However, their economy couldn't support a decade long war so they had to go home about three years in...that goes for the Georgians as well...I'll see if I can't find a news article about the Polish that died in attacks in Babylon...

I'm well aware of their presence, but not the size. I was guessing about one Brigade? We have more than that in Europe now. So...

MND=Multi-National Division... they had a Division Plus size element there.  And for their Army, it was almost half their active duty ground forces...they don't exactly have a huge standing Army...they were good peeps...they even laughed at Pollock jokes.

Thank you for calling him out on it. I may be biased as I am Polish, and my family is from a region bordering the Ukraine but that comment irked me. You have to realize that that country is smaller then New Mexico. So the whole "Y THEY NO SEND 300,000 TROOPS?!?" is sort of... for the lack of better words... 'Tarded.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You gotta wonder, what's Barry's and Putin's endgame........

Whatever it is, I sure won't be liking it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or, if one did not have an extra set of chromosomes and enjoy licking windows, they would blame Nazi Germany and the USSR, respectively, for WW2 and said oppression.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The US and the UK owe Poland for WW2 and the decades of oppression that followed.

Or, if one did not have an extra set of chromosomes and enjoy licking windows, they would blame Nazi Germany and the USSR, respectively, for WW2 and said oppression.

We sold them out during the talks about post-war Europe.

They weren't even allowed to march in the victory parade in London.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not damcv62 but, yes they are.

I was born in Poland and have spent at least a year there since moving to the US on vacations. Was just there for three weeks last summer.

The women are retarded hot and all of them dress like they are strolling down a fashion show runway even when just running to the store. None of this pajama pants and a hoodie with no makeup and their hair all fucked that we have become accustomed to here.

On topic: Good, about damn time we showed some backbone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I trust nothing obongo says or does.
By sending troops from CONUS to Poland also puts those troops a lot closer to Syria if you get my drift.

No. No I do not get your drift.

Poland looks like this.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/3fb19a570cb8f13415bbe199e6093fc2.jpg

Syria looks like this.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/mailbcw/62f94d6d843660ee5ffeab9211cba0df.jpg

I lol'd.........
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#30]
It's about time we buddied up to Poland more. NO ONE in Europe wants to be our friend more than Poland.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Polish War Brides for everyone!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We sold them out during the talks about post-war Europe.

They weren't even allowed to march in the victory parade in London.
View Quote

It is nuts to think that the Soviet Union would have pulled out of Poland under any circumstances at the end of WW2. Suggesting that we 'sold them out' by recognizing reality is pretty naive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]
US can move troops into poland, but Russia moving troops around on their own soil is an intolerable act of aggression
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just want polish hookers...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
US can move troops into poland, but Russia moving troops around on their own soil is an intolerable act of aggression
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hookers works for me!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Canadian troops are on 24hr standby....not sure for how long. They gotta keep their bags packed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Canucks ain't going without Tim Horton's!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This isn't really a missile kind of issue.  If missiles start getting lobbed across the Atlantic, we have bigger issues.

Better dig out all my old Deathlands books to learn how to survive the apocalypse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't really a missile kind of issue.  If missiles start getting lobbed across the Atlantic, we have bigger issues.

Better dig out all my old Deathlands books to learn how to survive the apocalypse.

Mutie Redheads???

I am so IN!

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I've watched A LOT of Polish MTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ3j-X2jnXc
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Those lucky SOBs.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

She's worth dying for
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's worth dying for

Nope.  You should listen to Patton.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Poland is a great country. Been there done that.

I would fight for Poland if I could volunteer!  

Beautiful women, and country. Great food and beer.   The techno disco clubs will make u think your there for an hour, next thing you know, your walking out of the club and the sun is rising!  My advice, bring Mickey Mouse gloves, and allergies pills as an American an the women will fall all over your. Just tell them the allergy pill is x! Hahahaha
View Quote

Oh fuck! Not too late to enlist is it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones in the UK are, they are like mexicans to British.  I'd have gave them all throat babies...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

I might be a grown man, but I'll never stop browsing 4channel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I've watched A LOT of Polish MTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ3j-X2jnXc
View Quote

http://www.4fun.tv/live.html

24/7 polish mtv, with purty women dat sound good.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Timmy's is part of our troops regular kit or MRE's.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite I think. At the height of the cold war we had about 350,000 U.S. troops in Europe. source
By today's standards that would be 3 Army groups.source

What I would propose would be in the neighborhood of 1 Army. Let the Europeans provide the rest of the needed troops.

If I am reading you right what you are saying is that we have no dog in the fight and should NOT support our allies against a potential threat. We should send 0 troops or other military assets.
I say that is short sighted and would come back and bite us right in the ass.
I am not proposing sending troops into Ukraine. That is a lost cause at this point. What I am saying is that we should make sure our allies have the support there so the same thing does not happen to them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
Crimea was not their own soil. They are now in eastern Ukraine, ie NOT their own soil.

Go back to DU

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top