Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:03:03 PM EDT
5 cops caught in lies on witness stand, judge says

One by one, five police officers took the witness stand at the Skokie courthouse late last month for what would typically be a routine hearing on whether evidence in a drug case was properly obtained.

But in a "Perry Mason" moment rarely seen inside an actual courtroom, the inquiry took a surprising turn when the suspect's lawyer played a police video that contradicted the sworn testimony of the five officers — three from Chicago and two from Glenview, a furious judge found.

Cook County Circuit Judge Catherine Haberkorn suppressed the search and arrest, leading prosecutors to quickly dismiss the felony charges. All five officers were later stripped of their police powers and put on desk duty pending internal investigations. And the state's attorney's office is looking into possible criminal violations, according to spokeswoman Sally Daly.

"Obviously, this is very outrageous conduct," a transcript of the March 31 hearing quoted the judge, a former county prosecutor, as saying. "All officers lied on the stand today. ... All their testimony was a lie. So there's strong evidence it was conspiracy to lie in this case, for everyone to come up with the same lie. ... Many, many, many, many times they all lied."
View Quote

But Pat Camden, spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police, the union representing rank-and-file officers, said the overwhelming majority of officers are truthful.

"Obviously perjury isn't something that is condoned by the FOP or anybody in the Police Department," Camden said. "These are allegations, and an investigation is taking place."
View Quote

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-15/news/ct-police-testimony-lies-met-20140415_1_police-officers-five-officers-chicago-police
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
How about some fucking perjury charges, to start?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Somebody will defend that shit. Sickens me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet the video was edited, so context was missing.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Did he mean obviously in the sense that they don't openly coach it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Needs independant investigation Not internal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
ALLEGATIONS MY ASS
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
At least they got home safe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
We don't have all the facts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
All five are veteran officers. Glenview Officer Jim Horn declined to comment Monday, while the other four — Sgt. James Padar and Officers Vince Morgan and William Pruente, all assigned to narcotics for Chicago police, and Glenview Sgt. Theresa Urbanowski — could not be reached for comment.
View Quote

"Police officers are just like anybody — just because they're wearing a badge and carrying a gun does not give them more credibility," said Cook County Public Defender Abishi Cunningham Jr., a former Chicago prosecutor, defense attorney and judge.
View Quote

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-15/news/ct-police-testimony-lies-met-20140415_1_police-officers-five-officers-chicago-police

Side note: I don't want anyone to think that these posts about corruption are meant to impugn the character of any of the LEO that post here, that is not my intention, honestly. There are always rotten apples in any profession.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Officer safety.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
We need to win the War on Drugs by any means necessary.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Must have misunderstood when they were told its OK to lie to people.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
If the officers acted in good faith while they were helping expedite justice, then it's all good.  At least they are going home safe from their tours of duty every night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody will defend that shit. Sickens me.
View Quote

You're overly optimistic. Half a dozen will defend it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
All five are veteran officers. Glenview Officer Jim Horn declined to comment Monday, while the other four — Sgt. James Padar and Officers Vince Morgan and William Pruente, all assigned to narcotics for Chicago police, and Glenview Sgt. Theresa Urbanowski — could not be reached for comment.

Urbanowski.  Sounds like beat down in the polish hood.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't get it. Did they tell him he was under arrest for possession?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuckem.
View Quote

This^
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh dear.... desk duty.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But in a "Perry Mason" moment rarely seen inside an actual courtroom, the inquiry took a surprising turn when[span style='font-weight: bold;'] the suspect's lawyer played a police video that contradicted the sworn testimony of the five officers — three from Chicago and two from Glenview, a furious judge found.
View Quote
View Quote

Depends on the courtroom.

Quoted:
Side note: I don't want anyone to think that these posts about corruption are meant to impugn the character of any of the LEO that post here, that is not my intention, honestly. There are always rotten apples in any profession.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Look at that. 5 isolated incidents in one incident.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
"Obviously getting caught comitting perjury isn't something that is condoned by the FOP or anybody in the Police Department," Camden said. "These are allegations, and an investigation is taking place. We will make sure our officers are fully trained to avoid getting caught in the future."
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck those cops.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"Obviously getting caught comitting perjury isn't something that is condoned by the FOP or anybody in the Police Department," Camden said. "These are allegations, and an investigation is taking place. We will make sure our officers are fully trained to avoid getting caught in the future."

Fixed.

The first rule of testilying is don't get caught testilying.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fixed.

I laughed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Look at that. 5 isolated incidents in one incident.
View Quote

We just don't understand how it's supposed to work and we certainly don't have all the information.

Does this mean that all of their previous testimony is now going to have to be tossed?  Because if I were in jail (guilty or not) because of their testimony, I would be contacting an attorney ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Shit-cago, go figure
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If the officers acted in good faith while they were helping expedite justice, then it's all good.  At least they are going home safe from their tours of duty every night.
View Quote

Who's fucking justice, theirs?  Bullshit, the law is the fucking law.  Who's definition of good faith, theirs?  Obama and Holder are "governing" according to their "good faith" in order to expedite their idea of "justice."  I don't normally print (but sometimes do think) this statement on GD, but for you to say this defines you as an idiot.  I uphold and will continue to defend your right to say it, but I also defend and uphold my right to say what I think of your opinion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Who's fucking justice, theirs?  Bullshit, the law is the fucking law.  Who's definition of good faith, theirs?  Obama and Holder are "governing" according to their "good faith" in order to expedite their idea of "justice."  I don't normally print (but sometimes do think) this statement on GD, but for you to say this defines you as an idiot.  I uphold and will continue to defend your right to say it, but I also defend and uphold my right to say what I think of your opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please check your sarcasm meter and check back with us.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#31]
That's the Chicago way!

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
We have to wait until all the investigations are complete and full context is known.  Unless you are a Chicago Cop, you aren't informed enough or smart enough to understand the situation.  We must trust the the Cops will receive quality representation through their union, and appropriate punishment will be delivered if they are guilty.  Now...   move along.  It's being taken care of.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

and they were keeping people they had clearly identified as 'bad guys' away from the general public.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#34]
This country is coming apart.  Cops lied in my day and it's worse now.  When those with the guns have no honor, resistance becomes duty.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sarcasm meter checked and still in working order.  Pegged at zero.  

Your point?  I think mine's clear enough.  Not trying to start shit, but EVERYONE has their own unique idea of what is right (in their minds), but lying on the stand is wrong.  Period.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a rope, and it longs to touch those who deserve it's embrace around their neck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Conspiracy is a felony. Repaying their pensions to the public they betrayed should follow any felony conviction.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One by one, five police officers took the witness stand at the Skokie courthouse late last month for what would typically be a routine hearing on whether evidence in a drug case was properly obtained.

But in a "Perry Mason" moment rarely seen inside an actual courtroom, the inquiry took a surprising turn when the suspect's lawyer played a police video that contradicted the sworn testimony of the five officers — three from Chicago and two from Glenview, a furious judge found.

Cook County Circuit Judge Catherine Haberkorn suppressed the search and arrest, leading prosecutors to quickly dismiss the felony charges. All five officers were later stripped of their police powers and put on desk duty pending internal investigations. And the state's attorney's office is looking into possible criminal violations, according to spokeswoman Sally Daly.

"Obviously, this is very outrageous conduct," a transcript of the March 31 hearing quoted the judge, a former county prosecutor, as saying. "All officers lied on the stand today. ... All their testimony was a lie. So there's strong evidence it was conspiracy to lie in this case, for everyone to come up with the same lie. ... Many, many, many, many times they all lied."
View Quote

But Pat Camden, spokesman for the Fraternal Order of Police, the union representing rank-and-file officers, said the overwhelming majority of officers are truthful.

"Obviously perjury isn't something that is condoned by the FOP or anybody in the Police Department," Camden said. "These are allegations, and an investigation is taking place."
View Quote

View Quote

Come on now, we dont know for sure it was those cops they need to be investigated so we can actually prove it was those officers on tape.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We have to wait until all the investigations are complete and full context is known.  Unless you are a Chicago Cop, you aren't informed enough or smart enough to understand the situation.  We must trust the the Cops will receive quality representation through their union, and appropriate punishment will be delivered if they are guilty.  Now...   move along.  It's being taken care of.
View Quote

Agree.  If after a thorough, objective, and transparent investigation they are all found to have intentionally perjured themselves, the department will severely reprimand them by giving each one two months of paid vacation before they are back on the street.

Make way - Brady Cops coming through!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Repaying their pensions to the public they betrayed should follow any felony conviction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Repaying their pensions to the public they betrayed should follow any felony conviction.

Repay their pensions? They're still working and haven't collected them yet.

All five officers were later stripped of their police powers and put on desk duty pending internal investigations
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Cops lie? Color me suprised.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Your point?  I think mine's clear enough.  Not trying to start shit, but EVERYONE has their own unique idea of what is right (in their minds), but lying on the stand is wrong.  Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You better send your Sarcasm meter in for recalibration, it's definitely on the Fritz........
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Well damn.  I wonder if this will hurt a lot of prior trials?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You better send your Sarcasm meter in for recalibration, it's definitely on the Fritz........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn the meaning of sarcasm, fellas.  I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious as hell.  Read it again:  who's version of justice, the cops and who's definition of good faith, the cops?  Lying in court of law (and our governing bodies) to advance one's own agenda(s) has put this country in trouble.

I'll pull back on the "idiot" comment to M-60, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I feel that particular opinion leads to VERY bad outcomes, especially in court and other lawmaking bodies (reference Obama and Holder again, as well as Congress).

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#48]
This is nothing new.  One lied on the stand when I was in court under a threat of felony charges in a shooting.  No charges were brought, thanks to the statements of the people wanting to have me charged.  The cop is a tier one douche bag, and I would love to kick his ass right now.  If I could get him to the local boxing gym, I would smash his face in.  POS
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#49]
"Oh dear.... desk duty."

Have you ever experienced a paper cut? Have you? Unless you have been on desk duty you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Empty that wastebasket!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about a law stating that a public official who lies on the witness stand gets 5 years minimum in general population and a $250K fine...
Taking away people's liberty over a fucking lie should be dealt with harshly.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top