Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Do you have insurance? Do you hope to never need your insurance? Will you be glad to have it if the worst should happen?

ETA: I don't own plates, but I don't think it's a bad idea either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You better get outside and train with your PC with full load; in a rifle class, a hike or a run.  If you have all this stuff but haven't trained in it you are kidding yourself.

View Quote

I can't explain how important the above is; wearing armor changes EVERYTHING, including how you shoot your pistol and shoulder your rifle. Clamp yourself in between a set of plates and watch your muscle memory get destroyed.

And there's no greater indication that someone doesn't do the above than owning a set of AR500 plates; go spend several 12+ hour days on your feet being physically active in your gear, and you'll dump everything you absolutely don't need and sell your asshole on a street corner to get the lightest set of ceramic plates you can get.

a PC you don't train in is worse than useless.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I use them when I work security at the second largest mall in America.  Ive been thinking about upgrading to something heavier lately, though
View Quote

Tape two Level IVs together for your back, just in case they take the target of opportunity and decide to unload on you when you least expect it

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Some shoot house courses require them. Because I'd like to take a shoothouse course at some point it seemed prudent to invest in plates.

I live in an area subject to hurricanes. If Katrina 2.0 visited my area and bands of dazzling young hooligans decided my sub-division looked tempting post-storm, I'd rather have a set of plates between them and me.

If an active shooter scenario unfolded near my home, I'd rather have a set of plates between them and me while my family posted up somewhere safe.

I have no illusions of suddenly going all GI Joe. But there are some scenarios that I feel a set of plates could be handy for a middle aged doughy civilian type.

View Quote
Me too, that's a big reason I'd like some. I've got no intention of running around playing GI Joe, but I can see where they would come in real handy if looters are hanging around post hurricane, earthquake (we do get big damaging ones every hundred years or so out here on the east coast, we're actually a bit overdue), or any other big natural disaster. Which is why I'm torn between some big heavy plates or just soft IIIA, because in that scenario Id think you'd probably most likely face handgun threats, not rifle, so Im weighting if its worth the weight tradeoff to give up the extra protection.

Thanks to who posted the targetman site, looks like some good options there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
our local sheriff department recommended them
View Quote

What SO and in what context? I can't imagine you're in Pinellas, that's for sure!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess I won't shoot my rifle without em on anymore.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, I can always take the plates out of my carrier if I need to go faster.  Zip-tying plates to a chest rig if people are shooting at me is a hell of a lot harder.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can't explain how important the above is; wearing armor changes EVERYTHING, including how you shoot your pistol and shoulder your rifle. Clamp yourself in between a set of plates and watch your muscle memory get destroyed.

And there's no greater indication that someone doesn't do the above than owning a set of AR500 plates; go spend several 12+ hour days on your feet being physically active in your gear, and you'll dump everything you absolutely don't need and sell your asshole on a street corner to get the lightest set of ceramic plates you can get.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You better get outside and train with your PC with full load; in a rifle class, a hike or a run.  If you have all this stuff but haven't trained in it you are kidding yourself.

Yeah, that's my feeling about this. People who buy AR500 are either cheap or have never worn a vest for 8-16 hours+ I mean I only wear IIIa for work and it gets heavy toward the end of the day, it's movement restricting.. Changes my handgun draw, mag changes and slightly changes shooting stance, and especially with a carbine feels a lot different shouldering it to me. And my biggest issue with AR500 is spalling, dont give a shit what coating you have, you will eventually catch frag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My .02 cents on plate carriers:

For military (and some police) applications they are great pieces of gear; compact, space efficient with just the ballistic protection you need for your upper body vital area.  For this category they are probably one of the best evolutions of gear we have yet seen for  the warfighter.  Like all Marines in Afghanistan I was issued and used the Eagle SPC.  The one problem we faced is that when you load up your plate carrier with front, back, and side SAPI plates, magazines, water, radio, grenades and whatever else you are carrying too much weight to chase after anybody for any long period of time.

For civilian in CONUS SHTF scenarios I have a lot of mixed feelings for the plate carrier.  Per the many pic threads of plate carriers most people opt to mount all their pouches on them directly which is great for overt military type applications but that is far from a civilian SHTF requirement where it may pay to be anonymous.  Too many here think GI Joe for SHTF when they should be thinking Viet Cong.

So from reading the thread:

Person owns a PC just because....Your money your choice.  People have spent far greater money on worse things

Person owns a PC for range use in case of AD/NDs: This is a good one.  The PC covers just your upper chest vital areas especially if you don't use the side SAPI plates and at almost zero degrees of obliquity (straight at you).  Unless you have all areas covered like your head, throat, neck, and femoral, you can take a shot and die just the same.  What may help mitigate risk more at your local public range is the following:
*Observe and yell at the person next to you as necessary, "WATCH YOUR MUZZLE!!!"
*Go when its less busy
*Don't go to the public range

Person owns a PC for in CONUS SHTF:
*If you plan on going into the offense then yes a PC will be essential but so is a helmet too.  If you own a PC but no Helmet you only have half the equation.
*In a worst case SHTF situation you may not have access to medical facilities.  You can still get injured if shot with a PC, it is not a force field.  Even if you get a superficial GSW without medical attention you may still die from infection anyways.
*If you own a PC for SHTF I suggest you leave it slick and wear another rig over it so you can always ditch the PC to reconfigure your load as your mission dictates.  As I said in the opening you may want to be discrete and not stick out looking like a DEVGRU assaulter.  
*You better get outside and train with your PC with full load; in a rifle class, a hike or a run.  If you have all this stuff but haven't trained in it you are kidding yourself.
*What will probably save you more so than armor is sound and smart tactics: moving out at night, camouflage (blending in with other people), immediate action drills, and avoiding all contact.

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/Lance1775/media/PA251887.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/Lance1775/PA251887.jpg</a>
My USMC issued Eagle SPC, Marjeh, AFG 2010.  For in CONUS SHTF I would NOT go this way.

View Quote

Off topic but what kind of radio is that?  Looks sexy!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I have worn my heavy ass plates out in the desert while shooting, moving, retrieving targets etc all day. It does alter/slow movement but it is not impossible.

Also I throw them on while reloading to get use to weight. Haha
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Shits heavy bro
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shits heavy bro
View Quote

No shit, In a bug out or shtf scenario I am already going to be carrying a rifle, ammo, water, food and supplies.  Not to mention have my family in tow.  Anyone who has ever hiked a distance with gear will know weight sucks.  Besides I would much rather be carrying water.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Serious question, help me understand.  As a civilian (non-mil, non-leo), why do you own plates?

I have my rifle, chest rig, and mag pouches, but no plates.  My thinking is, just about anything the .gov has, that is bigger than handgun caliber, is made to go through body armor anyways.  Plates would just slow me down.  

Poll inbound
View Quote

Multiple rounds of 308 in the back will slow you down even more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#15]
It's well known that I fancy the fetal position as far away from any gun ickiness as I can get.

However, since I am rather terrified of people sending bullets my way, plates allow me some measure of protection from at least one specific threat and vector.

That said, I really only bought them in case I take a class that requires or recommends them.  I'm not much of a believer in "SHTF".
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No shit, In a bug out or shtf scenario I am already going to be carrying a rifle, ammo, water, food and supplies.  Not to mention have my family in tow.  Anyone who has ever hiked a distance with gear will know weight sucks.  Besides I would much rather be carrying water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shits heavy bro

Again, it's hell of a lot easier to ditch a set of rifle plates than it is to miracle a set if you do need them.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Didn't pay attention to the Ukraine situation huh?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
5.56 in your chest slows you down more than plates.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shits heavy bro

I'm not sure if you're using this very unlikely scenario to justify not having them, or whether you're lobbying for ceramic plates over steel?  For every bug out example I could give a dozen where the weight would be worth it.  I like having options, and believe I am more likely to wear armor in a fixed position or vehicle than I will on foot.  There aren't too many scenarios I see that have us moving on foot but openly armored and armed.  

As far as steel versus ceramic - first, let's assume cost is really the only consideration in steel versus ceramic.  I think everyone would rather have ceramic, so the conversation comes down to "how much protection can I get for $X?"  For me - ceramic costs 3x what steel costs.  Every set of ceramic plates I buy is the equivalent of 3 sets of steel, which is significant.

I don't plan on walking until my vehicle can take me no further.  Riding in a vehicle during perilous times is a great way to get ambushed.  Having plates for my entire family and having extras to set inside door pockets is more important to me than having just one or two set of ceramics.  

I don't plan on leaving at all if I can stay in place.  Again, I'd rather have sets for everyone and extra protection around certain areas than having less plates that weigh a few pounds less.  I'd also rather have some extra PCs for people that worked with me to protect our AO.  

I bought ceramics for me and my wife, but happily leverage TheTargetMan.com plates in vehicles, for children, for reinforcing vehicles or secure areas, or my weaponmaster crews and stunt teams (movie production teams who may be near things going boom).  

If me and the family are going "the road" (pulling everything we own in a cart or wagon) - we have MUCH bigger problems than the few pound difference between steel and ceramics .  To your point - I'm not sure armor would be on my list of things to carry in that scenario.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Handy related videos.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't have plates yet, but will.  Bought a plate carrier and pouches for ammo, etc. during carbine classes.  I figure if I have the carrier, I might as well get the plates.  I hope I never need them, but for a measly few hundred bucks, I'll have them if SHTF ever comes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#22]

My thinking is, just about anything the .gov has, that is bigger than handgun caliber, is made to go through body armor anyways.  
View Quote

The home invader crackhead is far more likely to have a pistol than a long arm. Probably the same for post-disaster looters. In a civilian situation facing rifle fire is pretty unlikely.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The home invader crackhead is far more likely to have a pistol than a long arm. Probably the same for post-disaster looters. In a civilian situation facing rifle fire is pretty unlikely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My thinking is, just about anything the .gov has, that is bigger than handgun caliber, is made to go through body armor anyways.  

There are far, far more rifles in rural areas than there are pistols.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rifle plates stop the shit outta pistol rounds too... likely with a hell of lot less suck on the part of the target.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Rifle plates stop the shit outta pistol rounds too... likely with a hell of lot less suck on the part of the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understatement of the century. You have soft armor, which catches a bullet, but still deforms from a flat panel to do so, like pressing your finger into a trash bag. Then you have plates, be they ceramic or steel, which distribute the force of the impact across their surface area. The best way to demonstrate this is to fill a bathtub, and place a plastic bag on the surface as well as a wooden cutting board. Take your finger of choice and sharply poke each. Instant demonstration on force distribution.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I use them when I work security at the second largest mall in America.  Ive been thinking about upgrading to something heavier lately, though
View Quote

gov't mraps?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Less than 500 people a year in the US are killed with a rifle. Statistically it's rare. Even crack heads don't want to be wandering around with a rifle instead of an easily concealable handgun when doing crimes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, I can always take the plates out of my carrier if I need to go faster.  Zip-tying plates to a chest rig if people are shooting at me is a hell of a lot harder.  
View Quote

Spalling will cut thru the zip ties like butter too....just saying

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Less than 500 people a year in the US are killed with a rifle. Statistically it's rare. Even crack heads don't want to be wandering around with a rifle instead of an easily concealable handgun when doing crimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.gov kill teams will be using rifles.
Roving bands of armed marauders will likely have rifles.
Foreign militaries will have rifles.
The crab people won't have rifles, but a solid plate will help with the spines.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
.gov kill teams will be using rifles.
Roving bands of armed marauders will likely have rifles.
Foreign militaries will have rifles.
The crab people won't have rifles, but a solid plate will help with the spines.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
.http://i39.tinypic.com/2dka9sp.jpg

Sign of the times.

I'm no tactical Timmy, but better to have and not need.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If they made it past the dogs without me being alerted they are probably cops and my dogs are dead :-(

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine and wife's are on a shelf in our walk in closet with a rifle, shotgun and reloads.

Whats your plan if you're in the garage turning wrenches or at the kitchen table eating your waffles and bad things happen?

If they made it past the dogs without me being alerted they are probably cops and my dogs are dead :-(

Haha I see what you did there
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Pussies.

All I need is .45-70 TC Encore and a multicam loincloth
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Pussies.

All I need is .45-70 TC Encore and a multicam loincloth
View Quote

Please don't share pictures.  

I'm still getting over the 'up kilt' picture that 5.11 Tactical just posted
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Because the blond lady with big titties told me at the gun show the government was banning body armor and I should buy some before they do ban it.....

View Quote

I know exactly who you are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Me too, that's a big reason I'd like some. I've got no intention of running around playing GI Joe, but I can see where they would come in real handy if looters are hanging around post hurricane, earthquake (we do get big damaging ones every hundred years or so out here on the east coast, we're actually a bit overdue), or any other big natural disaster. Which is why I'm torn between some big heavy plates or just soft IIIA, because in that scenario Id think you'd probably most likely face handgun threats, not rifle, so Im weighting if its worth the weight tradeoff to give up the extra protection.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some shoot house courses require them. Because I'd like to take a shoothouse course at some point it seemed prudent to invest in plates.

I live in an area subject to hurricanes. If Katrina 2.0 visited my area and bands of dazzling young hooligans decided my sub-division looked tempting post-storm, I'd rather have a set of plates between them and me.

If an active shooter scenario unfolded near my home, I'd rather have a set of plates between them and me while my family posted up somewhere safe.

I have no illusions of suddenly going all GI Joe. But there are some scenarios that I feel a set of plates could be handy for a middle aged doughy civilian type.

Get both.  They are not that expensive.

Police surplus 3A soft vests from BPM run ~$250 depending on the surplus deal of the quarter.  USeful for low-profile wear, like running out to get gas after Hurricane Sandy or something like that.
TheTargetMan steel plates for the trunk of your car (completely temperature and knock-about insensitive) run <$200.  Also great for training/classes/PT.
Decent basic ceramics should run you about $300 for a pair.  In a completely slick carrier you can wear even plates under a sweatshirt or other cover garment.  Yeah, they're bulky and I wouldn't roll around walmart wearing them (unless there's a deal on .22) but for driving in a car to leave the hurricane zone, sure, would probably pass casual inspection from outside the vehicle.

At the end of the day you're spending <$1K to get a complete set of armor.  If you have more than one handgun and longarm per shooter in your house, you'd be better off selling an AR or a 1911 and buying a set of armor.

Non-combatants (i.e. non-shooters) can also wear armor.  I have many fewer issues giving a child a set of small plates to wear in the car than I do handing them a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Also, I would argue that the recent events in Ukraine recently have made acutely obvious the need for some sort of protection that goes beyond a piece of 20 ga. aluminum sheet, even for civilians.

For the guys who have actually been actively shot at - how many instances did you see where body armor saved a life?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Police surplus 3A soft vests from BPM run ~$250 depending on the surplus deal of the quarter.  USeful for low-profile wear, like running out to get gas after Hurricane Sandy or something like that.

TheTargetMan steel plates for the trunk of your car (completely temperature and knock-about insensitive) run <$200.  Also great for training/classes/PT.

Decent basic ceramics should run you about $300 for a pair.  In a completely slick carrier you can wear even plates under a sweatshirt or other cover garment.  Yeah, they're bulky and I wouldn't roll around walmart wearing them (unless there's a deal on .22) but for driving in a car to leave the hurricane zone, sure, would probably pass casual inspection from outside the vehicle.

At the end of the day you're spending <$1K to get a complete set of armor.  If you have more than one handgun and longarm per shooter in your house, you'd be better off selling an AR or a 1911 and buying a set of armor.

Non-combatants (i.e. non-shooters) can also wear armor.  I have many fewer issues giving a child a set of small plates to wear in the car than I do handing them a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to start with a IIIA setup, because it looks like I may be able to get into a complete setup of that cheapest to start with, then I'll budget out for a good hard plate setup in the future. Too many expensive things already planned for this year.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sig line material.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been shot at and it was uncomfortable. If shit hits the fan or a malicious individual shows up at my house/the range I'd rather have it than be entirely exposed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they're a cheap son of a bitch and don't mind the burn

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1PEogggkog

So let me get this straight. You don't mind shooting gold bars .22 but you've still got AR500 plates?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#45]
i own plates and carriers because they make me look like a bad ass when i go to Walmart and wait in the bread lines 22 lines.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So let me get this straight. You don't mind shooting gold bars .22 but you've still got AR500 plates?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

obviously

The price difference between good ceramic (ESAPI) and AR500 is still several months of shooting 22
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the weight of your PC?  My Banshee is just under 21# with ceramics and my mags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Serious question, help me understand.  As a civilian (non-mil, non-leo), why do you own plates?

I have my rifle, chest rig, and mag pouches, but no plates.  My thinking is, just about anything the .gov has, that is bigger than handgun caliber, is made to go through body armor anyways.  Plates would just slow me down.  

Poll inbound
View Quote

Do you have fat hands?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Do you even current events bro?

Ukraine.

Bundy Ranch.

US government trying their hardest to turn us into a 3rd world shit hole.

If the SHTF how much do you think plates would cost at that point if you did not have them?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/Lance1775/media/PA251887.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/Lance1775/PA251887.jpg</a>

My USMC issued Eagle SPC, Marjeh, AFG 2010.  For in CONUS SHTF I would NOT go this way.

Harris AN/PRC-152 VHF radio.  God's gift to radio operators and ground combatants alike.  What used to seem to weigh and feel like a cinder block is now the size of a personal walkie talkie radio.  The one next to it on the right is a Motorola Irridium satellite phone.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top