Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Wife's 300BLK is under the recall. Couldn't find enough factory soldiers to sight it in, so it's no big loss, just gotta strip the scope and base off before I send it to the mothership.

The 40% off code saved me an assload on the barrel for my "You paid WHAT?" Remmy 1100 project, so I won't complain. (it also didn't appear to be unique so Rock on, Remington Svc Center, thanks for the 40% off!)
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My rifle is effected. I still have the factory stock with a harris bi pod & scope so I think I'll send it back & see what happens. I don't want to re zero my rifle again, .308 is expensive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm affected, but I replaced my trigger hundreds of rounds ago.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered a Timney.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
After going through the XDs fiasco, it's just not worth it to me. I'm just going to by a Timney 700 trigger.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Are the ADs only when a round is chambered and you move the safety from Safe to Fire, or does it AD under other conditions?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it wrong to say thank you Remington for finally giving me the excuse to buy that timney that I was looking at?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shit I have a custom rifle that still has the factory trigger and there is no fucking way I'm sending a $3K rifle to Remington
View Quote

If you have a Remington factory trigger you do not have a custom rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My rifle is effected. I still have the factory stock with a harris bi pod & scope so I think I'll send it back & see what happens. I don't want to re zero my rifle again, .308 is expensive.
View Quote

You'll be SORREEEE!

Getting it back will take EONS!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
My 700 .308 Varmint is on the recall list.  Shit.

Oh, joy, they're giving me a 40% discount on their overpriced accessories catalogues?  WTF.$19.95 for a plastic water bottle with a Remington logo?. And $395 for a fucking field jacket?  A Filson doesn't cost that much.  Fuck you very much, Remington.  Now I have to yank my scope, bipod etc off my rifle before sending it back.  Hopefully it'll get lost and I'll file an insurance claim.  Fuck fuck fuck.  Should've built an E.R. Shaw instead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My 700 .308 Varmint is on the recall list.  Shit.

Oh, joy, they're giving me a 40% discount on their overpriced accessories catalogues?  WTF.$19.95 for a plastic water bottle with a Remington logo?. And $395 for a fucking field jacket?  A Filson doesn't cost that much.  Fuck you very much, Remington.  Now I have to yank my scope, bipod etc off my rifle before sending it back.  Hopefully it'll get lost and I'll file an insurance claim.  Fuck fuck fuck.  Should've built an E.R. Shaw instead.
View Quote

Keep your shirt on. You got lousy  tits and besides this ain't the Kit Kat Club.

Simmer down and just get yourself  Timney or Jewell trigger and install it.

A lot of us are looking at this as an excuse and a golden opportunity to retrigger our rifles which is actually what a lot of us should have done the day we bought our rifles.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Haven't been able to check my S/N yet, but I bought a 308 SPS in 2009, so I'm sure it's in that range.

How difficult is it to replace the trigger if you've never messed with one before?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'll be SORREEEE!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be SORREEEE!

Really? Am I better off just ignoring it? I don't have money for a new trigger right now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I installed Timney triggers on my two Remington 700s.  I wish I had done that right out of the box.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really? Am I better off just ignoring it? I don't have money for a new trigger right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be SORREEEE!

Let's just put on our thinking caps for a minute.

1. Recall. Recall= free repairs. What does the word 'FREE' tell you? FSA mentality?
2. Basically a Fudd gun. Yeah, WE'RE shooters and modify them etc but GENERALLY the guy that buys one of these is a Fudd. Fudds are easily scared and dangerous triggers that go off for no reason at all. Think Boogey man.
3. Recall generally means freebies given out to placate the masses.
4. VERY popular rifle.

1+2+3+4= a metric SHITLOAD of people sending them in to be fixed.

A shitload of repairs at the factory= a shitload of time. While the repair  itself may take 15 minutes you gotta add everything else into the equation. SHipping time both ways, unloading trucks, factory priorities, etc.

On top of this, there is one other factor. When the rifle arrives it is going to go into a storage unit of some sort. How long will it be until someone actually gets to it to fix it?

This could mean anywhere between a week (if that happen buy lottery tickets) to several months.

Look at it this way. at 15 minutes per repair and 100,000 rifles that's 25,000 man-hours for just the repair itself. They you gotta have someone opening the boxes when they arrive and repackage them to return them.

25,000 man hours= 625 forty hour weeks for one guy, 62.5 for 10 guys and 6 weeks, 10 hours for 100 guys.

My Guess is that your rifle is going to be in the shop for a while.

Again, this is only a guess. They may have 1000 gunsmiths standing by for all I know but I sorta doubt it.

If I were you? Not enough for a Timney yet?

I'd keep it until i could afford one. We're only talking about a faulty safety here. We're trained not to rely on it anyway.

Simply obey the safety rules and you should be GTG until you can afford a good trigger.

YES, it REALLY IS that simple.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Remington   Well it figures.

I have one 700, if Winchester or Ruger would chamber the 7mm RUM I would have ZERO 700's.

Of course YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
So all you timney buyers who don't want to send your rifles in, are you all incapable of removing the excess sealant yourselves?

Total cost $0.00
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent my barreled action for chro treatment, badger base rings installed and torqued. I cleaned and adjusted the trigger already about 2.5lb did drop safety on/off drop jar test. I really don't think I should send it back in they did give me a 40% off code to bad they don't sell Timney triggers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Shhhhhh……… It's not the trigger.

its a government smokescreen to get updated ownership lists on the masses.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Mines affected. That's totally weak. I don't want to wait for a box to get shipped to send it out to wait for it to come back. Blah.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So all you timney buyers who don't want to send your rifles in, are you all incapable of removing the excess sealant yourselves?

Total cost $0.00
View Quote

By judging the posted youtube movie above (might be a page back) I don't trust this trigger. I ordered another, be here today.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Total cost $0.00
View Quote

it's not so much that we're incapable of removing the excess sealant as it is that why bother trying to fix an inferior product. Even when the XMP trigger is working properly it is crap. Mine wouldn't adjust below 4lbs and the pull weight was inconsistent. Plus if you back the set screw out too far trying to lower the weight it protrudes out the front of the trigger, which can be uncomfortable.

If you remove the scope you'll be back to square one for sighting in and that'll cost you a few bucks in ammo, replacing the trigger will probably require only a minor adjustment(if any). I'd rather spend the $115 getting a Timney than have to deal with the hassle of sending the gun back and waiting who knows how long.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Haven't been able to check my S/N yet, but I bought a 308 SPS in 2009, so I'm sure it's in that range.

How difficult is it to replace the trigger if you've never messed with one before?
View Quote

It's easy.

I'd imagine there are plenty of youtube videos detailing it.  

I used written instructions back when I did my first one, and I didn't screw it up. (I don't follow instructions well )
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's easy.

I used written instructions back when I did my first one, and I didn't screw it up. (I don't follow instructions well )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy.

Oh wow, I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a bottle with little tiny slave pins for Remington triggers.  A student at Trinidad no doubt found one of my long allen wrenches in the shop from an An Adventure with Triggers there.

View Quote

The little pins that come in 5C emergency collets are perfect slave pins for the triggers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#27]
mines affected, i wont be sending it in. only time that rifle is loaded is at the range and it stays pointed down range and i was planning on upgrading the trigger anyway down the road
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Ready for a CSB, TL/DR?  

I won a rifle at a 'Friends of the NRA' dinner/raffle, a little over two years ago.
Model 700 SPS Stainless in .243 Win., as yet unfired, NIB.

Now, this...

I find that it is one of the rifles affected, and I filled out the paperwork to send it back to have it factory repaired.
It's still NIB after two years, so why not?!

Let's see, when I get it back, how it works, as intended.
It's still NIB.  Did I mention, it's still NIB?

I've yet to have any problem with a Remington rifle, shotgun, or LRP ( Long Range Pistol, XP-100 / .223 Rem. )  that I've owned, so I'm going to go ahead with this procedure and see how Remington does with it.

I will TL/DR here:
Does anyone here have a complete, consumer product inventory that is 100% perfect?
Has any firearm invented NEVER had some kind of 'defect' or 'teething problems' as designed and delivered?
I think not.
Therefore, I'm willing to ship my NIB  Remington rifle back to Remington and see what they do to rectify the possible problem.

IF a company were to just lie, deny, or refuse to correct a percieved or possible problem, I might be more wary.
I'm glad to see and take advantage of this situation to make things right, even if there isn't a problem with my particular product.

I'll report back when all is said and done...including a test-fire session.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Im stubborn ad now pissed. Im not pulling my scope.

I will see if they offer any ca$h to defray the cost of me buying a Jewell. Fuck Remington.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I will see if they offer any ca$h to defray the cost of me buying a Jewell. Fuck Remington.
View Quote

Have you had problems with your trigger?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No ND's.....yet.

Its shit. But I like shit triggers.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No ND's.....yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No ND's.....yet.

Well, that's been an issue with then since they came out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh wow, I'm shocked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy.

Oh wow, I'm shocked.

If you use the instructions then you don't get free extra parts when you're done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Are the ADs only when a round is chambered and you move the safety from Safe to Fire, or does it AD under other conditions?
View Quote

It's most common when you pull the trigger with the safety on...then go "fuck, I forgot the safety", and move it off.

I guess that's good in that you were planning on shooting something in that general direction...

Clones aren't free from this either. I've had a Windrunner do this to me. A Remington 700 safety will never really be safe by it's nature,
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Has anybody else had any luck with any other options other than returning - not an option imo- the rifle for repair?

Removal of scope.

My Rifle in cardboard box.

Cardboard box to UPS.

Months before return.

Remount scope.

Rezero- more time and ammo for CCB zero.
Not in the least interested in doing anything on that list.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's most common when you pull the trigger with the safety on...then go "fuck, I forgot the safety", and move it off.

I guess that's good in that you were planning on shooting something in that general direction...

Clones aren't free from this either. I've had a Windrunner do this to me. A Remington 700 safety will never really be safe by it's nature,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do prefer firing pin blocking safeties like Winchesters, but those aren't without their faults either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Received my  timney today before work. It took 20 mins to install, most of the time was opening up the hole for the trigger to fit into the plastic stock. If I buy another remington 700 the first thing I'll do is order another  timney.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I installed my Timney trigger yesterday after work. It took less than an hour, that's digging it out of the safe and cleaning up all the tools etc. The only problem was I had to use my dremel and relieve the wood in front of the trigger where the adjustment screw fits as it was maybe 1/8" tight in that area. I adjusted the trigger down to 2 LBS where I like it and added a drop of varnish over the wood to seal it.

I installed the stock, gave it several saftey checks and was good. I shouldered the rifle then dry fired it once more, freaking sweet! Timney makes nice triggers!

Thanks Remington. Now my rifle is awesome!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I need a nickel Timney but I'm not finding one...

Damn you Arf, panic buying all of the triggers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Received Timney, installed same.

Should have done that on Day One.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timney-Triggers-Rem-700-Straight-Nickel-Plated-w-Safety-RH-517-16-/360837908278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54039d8736
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Another 700 here on the list and im not sending it in, ill just replace the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never been real impressed with Timneys, but I sure do wish I had about 100 right now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#44]
This is a big "I told you so" moment for me. I think I will hug my Winchesters tonight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Well ,I was just over at gunbroker..doesn't seem to be anybody neckbearding Timney triggers yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is a big "I told you so" moment for me. I think I will hug my Winchesters tonight.
View Quote

My only Remington has a Gentry safety on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Mine have Jewell's in them. Once you shoot a Jewell you will never want anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Any of you guys notice that the website you get kicked to in order to enter your name, address, etc. is http and not https?

Poor form, Remington.

Not that https would deter the NSA in their efforts....

Anybody think they're going to replace the triggers with units that are chipped or some such shenanigans?

Yeah, I know, I know....[/tinfoil off]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timney-Triggers-Rem-700-Straight-Nickel-Plated-w-Safety-RH-517-16-/360837908278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54039d8736
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I found that one on Brownells. I wanted a curved, but I bought the straight. Showed up today and I like it! Its already in and ready to go. I wasn't sure on the straight trigger but its pretty nice. Beats the crap trigger that was in it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top