Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Already have a Timney trigger on mine but Ill have to check the serial number.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag for later, gotta break her out of the safe.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just ordered a Timney.  

View Quote

Which Timney trigger are you guys ordering?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a shit-ton of rifles. I would have had four that were affected. All four were well under MOA out of the box.

I would probably just upgrade the stock trigger with a Jewell or Timney vs. the hassle of sending it in and rezeroing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Can someone post a pic or video showing which part(s) needs to be cleaned ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Remington 700.  The best gun evar.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Heh. I thought I was the only one whose trigger was that bad. It barely adjusted downward with the warranty-voiding method of removing the sealant on the pull weight screw. NOTE: in its present state, the rifle has been tested for safe functioning, but is used only as a target rifle.

I know the rifle is very accurate, turning in a 0.8 MOA 5-shot group last time I shot it from the bipod. It's such a nuisance to use that bad trigger that I actually dislike shooting the rifle.

Could the excess bonding agent be the cause of the horrid tigger pull, or is it just generally a bad tigger?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ditched my 9-12 lb uneven-breaking X-Mark trigger and replaced it with a Jewell trigger.  It's a thing of beauty.

Heh. I thought I was the only one whose trigger was that bad. It barely adjusted downward with the warranty-voiding method of removing the sealant on the pull weight screw. NOTE: in its present state, the rifle has been tested for safe functioning, but is used only as a target rifle.

I know the rifle is very accurate, turning in a 0.8 MOA 5-shot group last time I shot it from the bipod. It's such a nuisance to use that bad trigger that I actually dislike shooting the rifle.

Could the excess bonding agent be the cause of the horrid tigger pull, or is it just generally a bad tigger?

Just order a Jewell or Timney trigger and be done with it.  The X-Mark Pro is a lousy trigger overall.  Putting a new trigger in my rifle turned it into my favorite bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Timney just made some money. I won't send my rifle to Remington.
Why? I will have t remove my scope and I won't have to cry if it gets scratched or lost in return shipping.
Plus who the hell wants to resight in a tack driver?

Screw Remington.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just order a Jewell or Timney trigger and be done with it.  The X-Mark Pro is a lousy trigger overall.  Putting a new trigger in my rifle turned it into my favorite bolt gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ditched my 9-12 lb uneven-breaking X-Mark trigger and replaced it with a Jewell trigger.  It's a thing of beauty.

I had a smith do a trigger job on my factory trigger.  It came back vastly better, but still a crappy trigger.  I bought a Jewell and couldn't be happier.  It is scary light and has a crisp, clean break to it.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you OP. Just checked, mine is affected by this recall.

I pray this is a quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

EDIT: Just checked on the website.  My rifle absolutely is on the recall list.  Fuck it, I love my Jewell.  I don't want Remington to fuck it up... My Rem 700XCR shoots just at an inch with handloaded .270WSM 140gr accubonds.
View Quote

I'm a Remington fanboy, but fuck those new triggers. I'm replacing mine with a shillen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Had to pull all my 700's out of the safe and check. One brand new never fired VTR in .223 is on the re-call list, the other 3 are safe. Been thinking about selling that one, I won it in a raffle, may go ahead and list it and let the new owner decide. Would that affect the value much?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Timney just got another customer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Lol... My one modern Remington is on that list.  Thing is, I dunno who I sold the factory trigger group to when I replaced it after the first range trip with better quality aftermarket.
Sent an email asking if they still wanted my gun. wonder what the response will be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Me either.  Remington removes all non-factory modifications when working on a return.  So if you like that Jewell or Shilen trigger, don't expect it be be on your gun when it comes back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit I have a custom rifle that still has the factory trigger and there is no fucking way I'm sending a $3K rifle to Remington

Me either.  Remington removes all non-factory modifications when working on a return.  So if you like that Jewell or Shilen trigger, don't expect it be be on your gun when it comes back.

I'm not going to bother sending my rifles back as I plan to buy some better triggers for them anyway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Is this what you all are putting in?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/triggers/remington-700-trigger-with-safety-prod25035.aspx

TIMNEY - REMINGTON 700 TRIGGER WITH SAFETY
883-000-005WB
Rem. 700, RH/Curved/Blue
Mfr Part: 510

$130.99

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I've shot hundreds of rounds through my 700 SPS Tactical without issue and I've got it set just where I want it. Not sending it in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#20]
People use the stock Remington trigger?

Gross.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-bottom-metals/triggers/remington-700-trigger-with-safety-prod25035.aspx

883-000-005WB
Rem. 700, RH/Curved/Blue

$130.99

View Quote

yes or the straight trigger part # 517
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#22]
My .280 is on the list.  Now there'll be a run on triggers....great.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

883-000-005WB
Rem. 700, RH/Curved/Blue

$130.99

I'm going for the straight trigger myself
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Timney just made some money. I won't send my rifle to Remington.
Why? I will have t remove my scope and I won't have to cry if it gets scratched or lost in return shipping.
Plus who the hell wants to resight in a tack driver?

Screw Remington.
View Quote

The 700 is what it is. You are definitely on the right road. Not only that, think of the benefits of the new trigger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#25]
My 700 is part of the recall.

Time to buy a jewel
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is a link they gave me when I inquired about my 700.  I bought mine in 1990.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-modification-program.aspx
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I know it can be inferred from the posts here, but can someone definitively say that replacing the trigger with an after market trigger eliminated the need for the recall?  

Yes, it's a stupid question.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gross.
View Quote

the old ones where quite tunable.

clown
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I have one that is on the list. It already has a replacement trigger, hopefully I can just mail in the trigger group for service.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know it can be inferred from the posts here, but can someone definitively day that replacing the trigger with an after market trigger eliminated the need for the recall?  

Yes, it's a stupid question.
View Quote

It certainly should... the factory trigger is the reason for the recall.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

883-000-005WB
Rem. 700, RH/Curved/Blue

$130.99

Thanks, I will put some thought into one of these.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Gross.
View Quote
The one on my 700P was quite adjustable and breaks nice at about 2.5lbs.  

The one on my 40x is a factory 2oz trigger is it is beautiful.  

My late 90s Model seven I have at about 3lbs and it is a good hunting trigger.

The rest all got replaced with Jewell varmit triggers set at 8oz.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I hate the X-mark pro trigger. Who thought it would be a good idea to put a adjustment screw through the blade of the trigger?
The original X-mark trigger was a pretty good trigger once it was adjusted. Timney is better, but it was darn good for a factory trigger.

I have one of the new 260 Remington 700s on the way. I'll probably just replace the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#34]
OST
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
looking at smashy's link, they overlubed the XMP triggers...

if you have an XMP trigger, clean your fucking trigger...problem solved.
View Quote

Or just hang a Timney or Jewell on it and be done.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross.

I use Jewell triggers too

Even the nicer factory ones don't compare in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#37]
My 700PSS is affected, guess it's time to take off the scope and pack it up when the box arrives.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shit I have a custom rifle that still has the factory trigger and there is no fucking way I'm sending a $3K rifle to Remington
View Quote

One of the first things I did was put a aftermarket trigger in my AAC.

Just check mine  is recalled too. I wont be sending it in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Mine are all older. No way I'd send one back, replace the trigger before doing that -my opinion of Remington just keeps being reinforced.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#40]
YOUR FIREARM IS NOT AFFECTED BY THIS RECALL

Your rifle is not subject to the recall. Safe firearms handling is everyone’s responsibility. The Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety should be etched in your memory. Let them govern your actions wherever and whenever you’re involved with firearms. In the woods. On the range. Or in your home. Please take the time to review and understand these rules.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We know we disappointed you and this doesn’t make up for that; but we’d like to offer you a 20% discount to ShopRemingtonCountry.com and/or Remington1816.com. Use code ROCSVC20 at checkout.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Mine already has a timney. But I'd buy an aftermarket before I boxed that rifle up and sent it to be finger banged by remington.
View Quote

This, and mine is was affected.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#42]
My standard Xmark (subject to the recall) works just fine. I broke the factory lacquer seals, cleaned the trigger out, adjusted out the creep very slightly, dropped the weight and overtravel, then ran extensive bump and bolt slam tests to confirm positive sear engagement, and re-lacquered the screws back in place. I had more trouble with lube and slipped sear engagement on an old Marlin's Rifle Basix than I ever have with my XM trigger.
If I send it back, I figure they'll just fudge it up and make it suck like apparently everyone else's XM and XMP trigger. If I get sick of it, I'll throw a basic Timney on it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Gross.
View Quote

I adjusted a couple and they came out perfect. Not sure what the hate is for, but I haven't bought one in years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My standard Xmark (subject to the recall) works just fine. I broke the factory lacquer seals, cleaned the trigger out, adjusted out the creep very slightly, dropped the weight and overtravel, then ran extensive bump and bolt slam tests to confirm positive sear engagement, and re-lacquered the screws back in place. I had more trouble with lube and slipped sear engagement on an old Marlin's Rifle Basix than I ever have with my XM trigger.
If I send it back, I figure they'll just fudge it up and make it suck like apparently everyone else's XM and XMP trigger. If I get sick of it, I'll throw a basic Timney on it.
View Quote

I did the same thing with the xmark on my 700 5r and I'm very happy with it. I still prefer the old 700 triggers but I can't gripe about my xmark after I tinkered with it.

Edit: checked mine and it's included looks like a good reason to buy a timney or Jewell.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Why are somany here going Timney as a result of this recall instead of just cleaning the factory one themselves, that is - if the trigger actually needs anything doing to it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Okay so Remington now has a recall on the trigger(XMP) that was designed to replace the other older 700 trigger that was also recalled.   Is it me or does Remington have issues with triggers?   lol
View Quote

This.

Wtf?

I never ran the s/n on mine, probably early 80's late 70's production. I can't make it misfire so I'm not letting anyone jack with it. Especially with a recall on a "redesigned" and "safer" trigger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

883-000-005WB
Rem. 700, RH/Curved/Blue

$130.99

I like to shoot groundhogs with my .243 700...
Should I get the straight or the curved trigger..?

Oh.. and F-U Remington for screwing up such a simple tjing.

YOU HAD ONE JOB.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.

Wtf?

I never ran the s/n on mine, probably early 80's late 70's production. I can't make it misfire so I'm not letting anyone jack with it. Especially with a recall on a "redesigned" and "safer" trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay so Remington now has a recall on the trigger(XMP) that was designed to replace the other older 700 trigger that was also recalled.   Is it me or does Remington have issues with triggers?   lol

This.

Wtf?

I love the old Remington triggers they were very easy to adjust for an excellent pull.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

YOU HAD ONE JOB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

883-000-005WB
Rem. 700, RH/Curved/Blue

$130.99

YOU HAD ONE JOB.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh, quite the opposite!

“While we have the utmost confidence in the design of the XMP trigger..."

send it back so we can unfuck it's tendency to suddenly discharge.  Really, they should take up writing for Saturday Night Live, it would be a LOT funnier!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top