Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/11/2014 6:17:26 PM EDT
Saw a recall notice on Facebook and checked my serial number and mine is subjected to it. They specify rifles made from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014. I wanted to pass this along to anyone else who might be affected.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Saw a recall notice on Facebook and checked my serial number and mine is subjected to it. They specify rifles made from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014. I wanted to pass this along to anyone else who might be affected.
View Quote

is this a recall for them to make the triggers crappier again?

also, link to Remington statement about the issue? your OP is full of details.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't this happen forever ago, too? Wasn't there a media hit-piece on Remington?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

So is it actually worth fixing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for more info

Edit- Mines recalled  http://xmprecall.remington.com/
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
looking at smashy's link, they overlubed the XMP triggers...

if you have an XMP trigger, clean your fucking trigger...problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew I forgot to put something in my post.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent hard earned money on the rifle why wouldn't I want the company to fix their fuck up?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn it... have to check my serial number, brb.

ETA - mine has been recalled too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my 700 AAC-SD setup the way I want it. If they want to send me a new trigger then ok, but I'm not going through all the hastle to send the rifle to them and wait weeks for them to return it.
Ill just buy a new trigger, probably should anyway..

And their recall web site form is jacked up..
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Taking all the rifles back with XMs and XMPs that they manufactured in a five year span? I've dropped my rifle and smacked it around plenty times with no safety issues. Issue a pdf on how to fix the "problem" ourselves or I will never buy another remington (freedom group) product. This is ludicrous. I highly doubt they are taking certain batches back. They're just taking them all. They manufactured and sold an allegedly dangerous rifle for five years?!? Offer the owners compensation. The only thing I see being offered is weeks of waiting for something that may be a non issue with many guns.

I will more than likely be drafting an email for them this weekend. I have a nice bit of money (for me) tied up in my rifle and am not sending it back as a complete gun and I'm certainly not going to remove everything from the barreled action.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Shit I have a custom rifle that still has the factory trigger and there is no fucking way I'm sending a $3K rifle to Remington
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My 270 was made in the mid 1990's.  It has the ordinary M700 defective trigger.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shit I have a custom rifle that still has the factory trigger and there is no fucking way I'm sending a $3K rifle to Remington
View Quote

This... I have 2 that were manufactured in that time period.. No way Im shipping my riles with the optics mounted.. I used to unload trucks as a youngster, things are not exactly handled with care. If there willing to include the price of ammo to re-zero my scopes than maybe....
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 4 700's and I am not sending 3 of them back. So what's the problem exactly? I'll fix them myself.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]
They want me to strip, pack and send them my M700 so they can clean off some thread locker?

Lol, no.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Checked mine and it wasn't included, but they still gave me a 20% off code, which I used along with the free shipping for $50 or more, and bought the +2 extension and all the associated pieces for my 870.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This... I have 2 that were manufactured in that time period.. No way Im shipping my riles with the optics mounted.. I used to unload trucks as a youngster, things are not exactly handled with care. If there willing to include the price of ammo to re-zero my scopes than maybe....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thought went through my head.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I ditched my 9-12 lb uneven-breaking X-Mark trigger and replaced it with a Jewell trigger.  It's a thing of beauty.

EDIT: Just checked on the website.  My rifle absolutely is on the recall list.  Fuck it, I love my Jewell.  I don't want Remington to fuck it up... My Rem 700XCR shoots just at an inch with handloaded .270WSM 140gr accubonds.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I ditched my 9-12 lb uneven-breaking X-Mark trigger and replaced it with a Jewell.  It's a thing of beauty.
View Quote
Like a geissele?

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged 'til I check this out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Like a geissele?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ditched my 9-12 lb uneven-breaking X-Mark trigger and replaced it with a Jewell.  It's a thing of beauty.
Like a geissele?  

A Jewell trigger is the Geisselle of the bolt world, IMO. I think I'm up to 8 Geisselles now...    The best factory trigger I have is on my Savage Model 12 6.5 Creedmoor...  Out of the box, its perfect.  

I shot this with factory Hornady 140gr AMAX with the Savage this weekend...

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Thought the extra grease was for bump firing
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sending my AAC-SD back to get crap cleaned off the trigger. I like it how it is now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread should probably get stickied for a few days...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know why they wouldn't just want you to ship the trigger......actually after being on this website for a while I actually do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine already has a timney. But I'd buy an aftermarket before I boxed that rifle up and sent it to be finger banged by remington.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I spent hard earned money on the rifle why wouldn't I want the company to fix their fuck up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meant more if it was actually worth sending back, considering a lot of manufacturers will send you some replacement parts. I haven't yet clicked on the link so I don't know the extent of the problem.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Just ordered a Timney.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Okay so Remington now has a recall on the trigger(XMP) that was designed to replace the other older 700 trigger that was also recalled.   Is it me or does Remington have issues with triggers?   lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Didn't this happen forever ago, too? Wasn't there a media hit-piece on Remington?
View Quote

I think that you are correct on this and *I think* 60 minutes did the hit piece.  Rifles made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and maybe 90's affected in the first recall.  Seems like guys were adjusting factory settings at home on these earlier ones and they then could go off when set down, safety taken off, etc.  Geezuz, how long before they learn to put a trigger out that isn't going to be recalled to "fix" it later?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
More info
View Quote

That is a useful link, right there...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah!

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Meant more if it was actually worth sending back, considering a lot of manufacturers will send you some replacement parts. I haven't yet clicked on the link so I don't know the extent of the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got ya.  I'm going to send mine in and when I get it back I'll get rid of it.  I couldn't get rid of it now with a clear conscience knowing that it may have a defect.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think that you are correct on this and *I think* 60 minutes did the hit piece.  Rifles made in the 60's, 70's, 80's and maybe 90's affected in the first recall.  Seems like guys were adjusting factory settings at home on these earlier ones and they then could go off when set down, safety taken off, etc.  Geezuz, how long before they learn to put a trigger out that isn't going to be recalled to "fix" it later?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That issue has been observed with new, clean, unmodified triggers too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Wonderful.  My new 700-5R .300 Win Mag that I added a muzzle brake and detachable box magazine conversion to is affected.  

It had better come back with the same trigger pull it ships with.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It had nothing to do with people adjusting factory settings the designer of the trigger group admitting that it was faulty and said it would only cost 5 cents per trigger to correct the design but Remington didn't want to spend the money.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I ditched my 9-12 lb uneven-breaking X-Mark trigger and replaced it with a Jewell trigger.  It's a thing of beauty.

View Quote

Heh. I thought I was the only one whose trigger was that bad. It barely adjusted downward with the warranty-voiding method of removing the sealant on the pull weight screw. NOTE: in its present state, the rifle has been tested for safe functioning, but is used only as a target rifle.

I know the rifle is very accurate, turning in a 0.8 MOA 5-shot group last time I shot it from the bipod. It's such a nuisance to use that bad trigger that I actually dislike shooting the rifle.

Could the excess bonding agent be the cause of the horrid tigger pull, or is it just generally a bad tigger?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Screw it.. I just ordered a Timney. I would rather spend $100 and end up with a better trigger than screw around with Remington...  
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It had nothing to do with people adjusting factory settings the designer of the trigger group admitting that it was faulty and said it would only cost 5 cents per trigger to correct the design but Remington didn't want to spend the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, actually it did and with unclean trigger groups dried oil, grease, etc.  And, you are also correct about some former "Rem engineer" saying that the trigger could have been designed to avoid the accidental discharge problem but Rem didn't want to spend the money.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#42]
There's this thing called, "brake cleaner".
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#44]
After my first outing with my SPS Tactical 308 last year, and feeling the factory trigger, I went ahead and bought a Timney that same day. Very nice trigger, and easy to install as long as you follow the included instructions.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I just checked my number and it is listed. I guess I have a decision to make as to whether to send it in or not.

My trigger is fine as far as operation. I like it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Luckily my Remingtons were made before that date.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#47]
My 700 is on the recall list. I've been meaning to get a Timney trigger for it so I just ordered one from Midway.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Hmm, I wonder if I sent it in they could make it shoot under 2 moa?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Okay so Remington now has a recall on the trigger(XMP) that was designed to replace the other older 700 trigger that was also recalled.   Is it me or does Remington have issues with triggers?   lol
View Quote

Yeah, really. The best course of action here is to just replace your oem trigger with something else.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Got a .223 and .308 on the list. but got friends in Elizabethtown that will take care of mine.

Their website is screwed up!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top