Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 6:21:47 PM EDT
The little asshole is still alive.

My sister was there volunteering for the runners with her massage therapy school. She was very freaked out on the phone.

Didn't think that many bad things can happen to a person. All i remember is him pushing Jeff Bauman in the wheel chair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Arredondo

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Life changing day at the finish line.  Lives lost and people maimed. That surviving SOB brother should be burned alive for his crimes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I meant on arfcom but i forward that one to my sister.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
title change
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
No one cares about Boston???
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I care about Boston. One of my very good friends when I was growing up is running in it today. I hope he does well!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Life changing day at the finish line.  Lives lost and people maimed. That surviving SOB brother should be burned alive for his crimes.
View Quote

No, they will just put him on the cover of a magazine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#8]
After the inter-departmental clusterfuck that I heard on the scanner after it, I wonder how much training area law enforcement has gone through in the last year.

I hope the cop on the left got promoted, though. Right after the bang, weapon drawn and in a safe direction, she was scanning for threats as well on the video.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife ran the Marathon last year.  The kids and I were between Clarendon and Dartmouth streets when the first bomb went off.  The sound echoed off the buildings and there was a cloud of whitish smoke.  There were a lot of barricades you had to get around or over and it was absolutely packed with people.  Like a salmon swimming upstream.

My daughter asked me if it was a car bomb.  I told her it would have been much louder.  The concussive wave was quite distinct, like someone slapping your chest.  I thought maybe it was a blackpowder signal cannon for the 4 hour mark, but that didn't make sense.  My wife was in one of the tents (she had just finished).  I was still confused about it when the second bomb went off.  We could see the electronic clock and the banner that indicated the finish line.

A cop standing near us told a woman it was "probably electrical".  His shoulder radio started squawking numbers, and he took off running towards the finish line.  I pushed the kids behind a metal box and tried to get in contact with my wife via a cell phone.  

I had planned with her the night before to meet at the family meeting area (arranged by the first letter of your last name).  A fall back location in case of mayhem was supposed to be the bridge over the Boston Common that the paddleboats go under.

The first walking wounded streamed by us and I grabbed the kids by the collars and marched them away from the finish line back towards the Common.  It was away from the family meeting area, but I figured going laterally and up one of the side streets was a much better plan than being in the mess on Boylston.  We eventually made it to a side street (St. James?) and I found my wife.  I don't know how much the kids witnessed, but I saw plenty.

I then marched the wife and kids across the Common to North Station.  I had every intention of getting the hell out of Boston.  The kids and I had taken the train in.  We were lucky.  I got the tickets, bought some pizza for the kids to make up for my hell march and we got the train out.  The trains were stopped soon after we left.

It was a hell of a day.  People said it was "chaos" but that was only very close to the finish line.  People were frankly professional.  There was no mass hysteria leaving the scene.  Hell, I watched a guy who just bought hand cut french fries at a vendor in the Common calmly march towards Boylston street.  He was a poster child for "not a single fuck was given."  

I feel lucky that all of us made it out without a scratch.  I can still hear the sirens wailing and reflecting off the buildings in my mind.  I never knew there were so many federal agencies.  I saw the ATF, the bomb squad, every kind of EMT you can imagine, the FBI, the DEA, on and on.  It was alphabet soup and a lot of Chevy Suburbans.

As for the little shit that did this, ironically I had seen him before.  My daughter attended a competitive swim camp at the Harvard pool, where he was a lifeguard.  I remember a skinny lifeguard with a fro'.

His smirk caught on surveillance tape says everything in my opinion.  Whether he fries or does life I don't care.  As long as he is locked away for good.

The reason we were running late (I wanted to see my wife finish- she finished nine minutes before the first bomb went off) was because there are no bathrooms in Boston.  Seriously.  I made sure the kids went at North Station and there must have been an event in the Garden as there was a long line at the bathrooms.  I guess I can't bitch about the lack of bathrooms anymore.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

But instead he gets his face on the cover of Rolling Stone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
SAD NEWS OUT OF BOSTON ONE YEAR LATER.

Part in Red

Officer dies one year after being wounded in Boston shoot out with Suspects of the bombing.

Boston police officer dies after medical emergency

Dennis O. Simmonds was a hard-charging police officer who loved his job, though it often put him in danger, running down alleyways after gang members and into the Watertown gun battle with the alleged Boston Marathon bombers, in which he was wounded in an explosion.

The 28-year-old won the Boston Police Department’s highest honor for his bravery and was slated to travel to Washington in May to receive another award from the president.

But Simmonds died late Thursday night after a medical emergency in the gym of the Boston police academy in Hyde Park, according to Boston police Sergeant Michael McCarthy. He was on duty at the time, and had just taken his lunch break during in-service training.

Simmonds joined the department six years ago, and was assigned to the Youth Violence Strike Force, which deals with the city’s gangs, in 2012.

“These guys, they really care about the city, they really care about making the city safe,” said Evans. “Every night, they’re out on the streets of the city working hard on the violence and getting guns off the street.”

Simmonds’s job was hard on his mother, who did not like to see her son leave home in his vest or carrying his sidearm, said his father.

On April 19, Simmonds went to Watertown, where police engaged in a shootout with the two alleged Marathon bombers. One of the alleged bombers, McCarthy said, threw an explosive at Simmonds, who suffered a head injury in the blast.

Simmonds received the Schroeder Brothers Memorial Medal, the department’s highest honor, for his bravery. Evans said he was to travel to Washington in May to receive the Top Cop Award from President Obama.

“He was looking forward to it,” said Evans.

But Simmonds was not one to brag about the award, said his father.

“He didn’t like to be in the spotlight, so he didn’t showboat it too much. He was more enthusiastic about doing the job than the honors — getting out there, getting guns off the street, talking to kids on the street.”
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife ran the Marathon last year.  The kids and I were between Clarendon and Dartmouth streets when the first bomb went off.  The sound echoed off the buildings and there was a cloud of whitish smoke.  There were a lot of barricades you had to get around or over and it was absolutely packed with people.  Like a salmon swimming upstream.

My daughter asked me if it was a car bomb.  I told her it would have been much louder.  The concussive wave was quite distinct, like someone slapping your chest.  I thought maybe it was a blackpowder signal cannon for the 4 hour mark, but that didn't make sense.  My wife was in one of the tents (she had just finished).  I was still confused about it when the second bomb went off.  We could see the electronic clock and the banner that indicated the finish line.

A cop standing near us told a woman it was "probably electrical".  His shoulder radio started squawking numbers, and he took off running towards the finish line.  I pushed the kids behind a metal box and tried to get in contact with my wife via a cell phone.  

I had planned with her the night before to meet at the family meeting area (arranged by the first letter of your last name).  A fall back location in case of mayhem was supposed to be the bridge over the Boston Common that the paddleboats go under.

The first walking wounded streamed by us and I grabbed the kids by the collars and marched them away from the finish line back towards the Common.  It was away from the family meeting area, but I figured going laterally and up one of the side streets was a much better plan than being in the mess on Boylston.  We eventually made it to a side street (St. James?) and I found my wife.  I don't know how much the kids witnessed, but I saw plenty.

I then marched the wife and kids across the Common to North Station.  I had every intention of getting the hell out of Boston.  The kids and I had taken the train in.  We were lucky.  I got the tickets, bought some pizza for the kids to make up for my hell march and we got the train out.  The trains were stopped soon after we left.

It was a hell of a day.  People said it was "chaos" but that was only very close to the finish line.  People were frankly professional.  There was no mass hysteria leaving the scene.  Hell, I watched a guy who just bought hand cut french fries at a vendor in the Common calmly march towards Boylston street.  He was a poster child for "not a single fuck was given."  

I feel lucky that all of us made it out without a scratch.  I can still hear the sirens wailing and reflecting off the buildings in my mind.  I never knew there were so many federal agencies.  I saw the ATF, the bomb squad, every kind of EMT you can imagine, the FBI, the DEA, on and on.  It was alphabet soup and a lot of Chevy Suburbans.

As for the little shit that did this, ironically I had seen him before.  My daughter attended a competitive swim camp at the Harvard pool, where he was a lifeguard.  I remember a skinny lifeguard with a fro'.

His smirk caught on surveillance tape says everything in my opinion.  Whether he fries or does life I don't care.  As long as he is locked away for good.

The reason we were running late (I wanted to see my wife finish- she finished nine minutes before the first bomb went off) was because there are no bathrooms in Boston.  Seriously.  I made sure the kids went at North Station and there must have been an event in the Garden as there was a long line at the bathrooms.  I guess I can't bitch about the lack of bathrooms anymore.
View Quote

Thats amazing.
Oddly enough, the bathroom situation may have saved me and a lot of people I know, too.

The owner of the company I was working for ran last year, and invited the whole company for a paid day off if we came and cheered him on. There was supposed to be a large gathering/party of the whole company at or near the finish line, the whole company. But when the bathroom issue was brought up a co-worker suggested we hold the party on the lawn of her apartment building, so we could use her bathroom. Her apt was at the 25th mile marker, right on it, we were next to the EMT tent there.

A fuckin bathroom might have saved my life, man. A fuckin bathroom - I think about it all the time. . Life is so, funny.

Im glad to hear you're all alright, and congratulations to your wife for finishing. My boss didn't get to finish. He passed us at the 25th mile marker just a minute or two before the bombs went off. He can be seen in that big picture of all the runners being held up, right up front.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SAD NEWS OUT OF BOSTON ONE YEAR LATER.

Part in Red

Officer dies one year after being wounded in Boston shoot out with Suspects of the bombing.

Boston police officer dies after medical emergency

Dennis O. Simmonds was a hard-charging police officer who loved his job, though it often put him in danger, running down alleyways after gang members and into the Watertown gun battle with the alleged Boston Marathon bombers, in which he was wounded in an explosion.

The 28-year-old won the Boston Police Department’s highest honor for his bravery and was slated to travel to Washington in May to receive another award from the president.

But Simmonds died late Thursday night after a medical emergency in the gym of the Boston police academy in Hyde Park, according to Boston police Sergeant Michael McCarthy. He was on duty at the time, and had just taken his lunch break during in-service training.

Simmonds joined the department six years ago, and was assigned to the Youth Violence Strike Force, which deals with the city’s gangs, in 2012.

“These guys, they really care about the city, they really care about making the city safe,” said Evans. “Every night, they’re out on the streets of the city working hard on the violence and getting guns off the street.”

Simmonds’s job was hard on his mother, who did not like to see her son leave home in his vest or carrying his sidearm, said his father.

On April 19, Simmonds went to Watertown, where police engaged in a shootout with the two alleged Marathon bombers. One of the alleged bombers, McCarthy said, threw an explosive at Simmonds, who suffered a head injury in the blast.

Simmonds received the Schroeder Brothers Memorial Medal, the department’s highest honor, for his bravery. Evans said he was to travel to Washington in May to receive the Top Cop Award from President Obama.

“He was looking forward to it,” said Evans.

But Simmonds was not one to brag about the award, said his father.

“He didn’t like to be in the spotlight, so he didn’t showboat it too much. He was more enthusiastic about doing the job than the honors — getting out there, getting guns off the street, talking to kids on the street.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thats amazing.
Oddly enough, the bathroom situation may have saved me and a lot of people I know, too.

The owner of the company I was working for ran last year, and invited the whole company for a paid day off if we came and cheered him on. There was supposed to be a large gathering/party of the whole company at or near the finish line, the whole company. But when the bathroom issue was brought up a co-worker suggested we hold the party on the lawn of her apartment building, so we could use her bathroom. Her apt was at the 25th mile marker, right on it, we were next to the EMT tent there.

A fuckin bathroom might have saved my life, man. A fuckin bathroom - I think about it all the time. . Life is so, funny.

Im glad to hear you're all alright, and congratulations to your wife for finishing. My boss didn't get to finish. He passed us at the 25th mile marker just a minute or two before the bombs went off. He can be seen in that big picture of all the runners being held up, right up front.
View Quote

LOL

My daughter (age 13 now, sigh) game me flak.  "The line is so long, Dad.  I don't have to really go...."

Life is indeed funny.  My wife wanted to run this year but the demand was insane.  She didn't get a qualifying time before it closed.  She wanted to run cause "fuck them."

I had to say I wasn't all that upset she wasn't going to run.  I said the Marathon doesn't owe us a thing.  She had always wanted to run that race by "earning a bib".

Marathoners ain't sane.  One of them married me, after all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL

My daughter (age 13 now, sigh) game me flak.  "The line is so long, Dad.  I don't have to really go...."

Life is indeed funny.  My wife wanted to run this year but the demand was insane.  She didn't get a qualifying time before it closed.  She wanted to run cause "fuck them."

I had to say I wasn't all that upset she wasn't going to run.  I said the Marathon doesn't owe us a thing.  She had always wanted to run that race by "earning a bib".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats amazing.

LOL

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My sister was there volunteering for the runners with her massage therapy school. She was very freaked out on the phone.

Didn't think that many bad things can happen to a person. All i remember is him pushing Jeff Bauman in the wheel chair.

View Quote

Just an update, Jeff is doing great and continuing to progress. His brother is in the military with me, so I continue to inquire about updates.

Glad your sister is okay.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is that all the threads on Boston?

Thanks for posting
View All Quotes

the 3 big ones, there were dozens and dozens of other threads

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is that all the threads on Boston?
Thanks for posting
View All Quotes

The most epic thread in arfcom history.  From the investigation and photo analysis to the takedown, the Boston thread was the best one I have ever read and been a part of.  Amazing insight, much faster and more accurate than any news site available.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I asked the kids this morning what they remembered on the ride to school.

My son (he was 7 at the time) remembered details and things I didn't.  There was a very excited bomb dog who jumped from the Suburban and stood, quivering with excitement, while his handler got out some gear.  The dog was just SO into his job that it provided a needed bit of levity.  My son told me that I didn't let him stop to pet the dog.  

He also remembered the pizza that I bought them at North Station before we boarded the train out as being "pretty good".  

My daughter (12 at the time) recalled things in a linear and succinct fashion.  To her terrorism is a fact of life.  Her first immediate reaction to the sound and sights of the first explosion was that it wasn't an accident.  No, it was terrorism.

She also noted that she had never seen so many cops "with AR-15s".  

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]
The thread that had the scanner info and live feed was pretty awesome. I was on the phone with my buddy who lived 2 blocks away from where they caught him finally telling him about the noises he was going to here, that they were the police throwing flash bangs and not enemy combatants. They were freaked!

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The most epic thread in arfcom history.  From the investigation and photo analysis to the takedown, the Boston thread was the best one I have ever read and been a part of.  Amazing insight, much faster and more accurate than any news site available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except for that first part where everybody was focusing on the wrong guy in the photos.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#24]
My friend's dad was a block away when the bomb went off.  

Prayers will all who were there, and all who are there today.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I ran the marathon last year. Cross the finish line 45 minutes before that. Got something to eat and started to walk back towards the finish line when the 1st bomb went off in front of me 3 blocks away. Those bastards missed me by 3 blocks.

Only those who qualified with a fast enough time gets to run the Boston marathon. It's like the Super Bowl for runners.

I qualified and will be running the race again next Monday.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I ran the marathon last year. Cross the finish line 45 minutes before that. Got something to eat and started to walk back towards the finish line when the 1st bomb went off in front of me 3 blocks away. Those bastards missed me by 3 blocks.

Only those who qualified with a fast enough time gets to run the Boston marathon. It's like the Super Bowl for runners.

View Quote

Congrats on your qualifying time!

My wife qualified last year and it was the first time we had been to that marathon. in 2012 so she had a bib for 2013.

It is good to put the 117th to rest to make way for the 118th.  

Congrats again and best of luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck him...

Carlos Arredondo Boston Hero Gold Star Dad

Next Wednesday at 11:00 AM, the No More Names bus tour will be in Boston to read out the names of those killed by gun violence and to demand action from our leaders.

Will you join us?

Yes -- I can make it to the rally!

Here are the details:
What: Boston No More Names Rally

When: Wednesday, August 28th at 11:00 AM

Where: 1 Faneuil Hall Square
Boston, MA 02109
The No More Names tour has held more than 25 events in over 20 states across the country. This is your chance to join elected officials and community members to demand action from Congress.

If you join us at the rally, you'll get to hear from Boston Mayor Tom Menino, a founding member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns and a leading voice for common-sense gun law reform. And you'll have an opportunity to meet other community members dedicated to reducing gun violence.

Please sign up to join us and show your support at the rally on Wednesday:
View Quote

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=135491096634170&story_fbid=170959593087320

7th and 8th pic down...

http://nomorenames.org/blog/2013/08/faneuil-hall-boston/?source=

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#28]
and so it begins:

Person in custody after suspicious bags found at marathon finish line

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/herald_bulldog/2014/04/person_in_custody_after_suspicious_bags_found_at

Suspected nutcase:

ETA: I was at that spot this afternoon for the memorial ceremony.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFMFT .......up is down and black is white anymore.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

ETA: I was at that spot this afternoon for the memorial ceremony.
View Quote

I was wondering if you were going to work the Marathon detail.  

Nutbag with fries aside, I hope Monday is as boring as it ever could be if you are working.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Let's not forget that

1) CNN (Wolf Blitzer in particular) tried to pin this one libertarians and conservatives within minutes of the bombings, theorizing that the Patriot movement chose to strike on Patriot's Day

2) Zero and his errand boy Carney both made weird statements in the first day or two about the importance to keep in mind that the attacks took place on tax day

It's been a year and I don't recall ever hearing an apology from CNN or the White House. Or anybody taking them to task for their bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Let's not forget that

1) CNN (Wolf Blitzer in particular) tried to pin this one libertarians and conservatives within minutes of the bombings, theorizing that the Patriot movement chose to strike on Patriot's Day

2) Zero and his errand boy Carney both made weird statements in the first day or two about the importance to keep in mind that the attacks took place on tax day

It's been a year and I don't recall ever hearing an apology from CNN or the White House. Or anybody taking them to task for their bullshit.
View Quote

I had forgotten how much BS came out at first. Thanks for reminding me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good on ya man. Good luck and Enjoy Newton!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Too bad MA doesn't roast Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Watching the live video feeds, scanners, and also the photos posted as all the police/fed agencies moved through and cleared that suburb was... hard to believe, in many ways.

Best part was the hockey game right after the bombing where the crowd took over with the national anthem.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember staying up ALL night following the thread develop as the cops descended on the two bad guys. The "detective work" by some of the posters on this site was pretty incredible, they were breaking news before the news outlets were.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's not forget that

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Is he wearing eye makeup?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No one cares about Boston???
View Quote

Are you fucking kidding?

The Boston bombing anniversary has been Story One on just about every news network.

Tomorrow - April 17th - How many page-one stories about the anniversary of the West, TX explosion do you think we'll see?

How many speeches will Joe Biden give?

How many interviews with victims will be shown on CNN?

The Washington beltway,  FEMA, the MSM and the left coast don't give a shit about people in flyover country.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I can't wait to run it again. This will be my 6th Boston and the hills at Newton will be especially sweet this year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's an AAR:

Combined number of times Brian Williams, Scott Pelley, Diane Sawyer, Wolfe Blitzer, Brooke Baldwin, Shep Smith, Lester Holt, Christiane Amanpour, Katie Couric, David Muir, Jim Avila, Jim Axelrod, Charlie Rose, Norah O'Donnell, Bill Whitaker, Dean Reynolds or Ann Curry went to Boston, MA  to do 1-year anniversary story: SEVERAL HUNDRED.

Combined number of times Brian Williams, Scott Pelley, Diane Sawyer, Wolfe Blitzer, Brooke Baldwin, Shep Smith, Lester Holt, Christiane Amanpour, Katie Couric, David Muir, Jim Avila, Jim Axelrod, Charlie Rose, Norah O'Donnell, Bill Whitaker, Dean Reynolds or Ann Curry went to West, TX to do 1-year anniversary story: ZERO.

What does this tell you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top