Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 184
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Word from the front lines indicate that there should be 300-500 militia backed by Oathkeepers arriving today.

ETA:  And I own page 13

IBYCETO

In before you cant edit to own
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Open grazing. Nevada law...

https://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/nv_fnc.htm

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am all for the rule of law, this still seems wrong.  If they bought the rights to the land in 1887 and then later changed the rules...well they are wrong unless you are going to use imminent domain on me?

Prove. You bought. The fucking. Land.

This guy has been shot down in court twice trying to prove he owns the land. He can't. "Well my grandaddy said he got the rights from his granddaddy and my grandaddy told my daddy that he could use it and..." ain't gonna cut it.

Proving you have title or an interest in property can be done easily and only in one way: paper. You don't have the paper, either recorded or at least in your possession, you don't have the title or interest you claim. Thats all there is to it.

This dude can't prove it, so he's going to whine to a sympathetic audience.

Theres no conspiracy. Just a bunch of cattle on land they shouldn't be on that have been there way too long that the BLM is now trying to remove.

Open grazing. Nevada law...

https://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/nv_fnc.htm

Federal law and regulations > Nevada law.

You are also outside your lane and beyond your skill set.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The bureau last week announced the area would be closed through May 12 while contractors conduct the roundup using helicopters, vehicles and temporary pens. Cannon said the agency paid the contractors $966,000.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/07/nevada-officials-blast-feds-over-treatment-cattle-rancher-cliven-bundy/

Spending public money to remove the public from public lands.

The reaction to this case will be the same reaction here the first time someone shoots defending their right to bare arms.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I find it preferable to abandoning the rule of law.  The Constitution did not authorize nor prohibit slavery until the 13th Amendment passed.
View Quote
The Rule of Law in this Country is predicated upon the primacy of the Constitution. If a law is repugnant to the Constitution, it is supposed to carry no legal force. That the judiciary and legislative branches have ignored this, a lot, over the last 80 years is in no way justification for current actions.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
This isn't about the fedgov owning the land.  This is about the BLM acting like a bunch of thugs and the government not assisting ranchers.  

This is the problem with this country.  Apparently the government thinks it exists for its own sake rather than for the purpose of improving the lives of the people.  They bow down to special interests and anyone with a liberal agenda but stand in the way of PRODUCERS and people who make this country run and prosper.  They punish success and reward failure.  

Go ahead and get wrapped around the axle of the nuances of grazing law but the issue is much bigger .
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
This situation pisses me off. I am from this area and my family and friends are involved. Cliven Bundy is going to get somebody killed or hurt behind his bullshit (figurative and literal). I've read that Shiree Bundy Cox rationalization a couple of times. In the first paragraph she tells about how her family leased grazing rights from the government and because they made improvements as lessees they somehow got "preemptive rights" to the land. They are saying that because their grandpa dug out a spring somewhere 100 years ago, they now own the water. If that is true, I guess that I own every place that I have ever camped because I put in a handy ring of rocks for a fireplace.

Shiree also says that her dad has "proven" that all of the court orders against him are false. That is a huge lie. Her dad and the govt have gone to court against each other many times over the past several years. Each time Cliven Bundy has lost. I know of at least two separate orders from US District Court which find against Bundy on all of his claims. The orders also tell Bundy to get his cattle off federal range or the government will remove them. He responded by saying: "I don't recognize the federal government". He has also said that he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the US District Judges who have ruled against him. Cliven Bundy hasn't proven anything and because of his reckless refusal to comply with the rule of law, the US Govt is teaching him a civics lesson.

Cliven Bundy is a sympathetic figure. He looks and sounds like a salt-of-the-earth cattleman. Under that shiny exterior he is a scheming freeloader. His cattle have run amok on Gold Butte and all the way to Lake Mead. His herd is 10x the size it was when he was paying for grazing rights. He brags about how he is the only rancher left in his area, but it isn't too hard to see the reason for his good fortune. He has beaten his competition because he found a way to produce beef without paying for the feed. That is a real neat trick. It would almost be funny if the feed bill hadn't been picked up by our Uncle Sam.

On its face this situation is easy to sensationalize and it sparks emotion in lots of decent people. I think that it is a shame that more people don't understand what Cliven Bundy is really all about and I hope that they figure it out before somebody drops a hammer, or pops a dust cover off his/her Pmag.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The bureau last week announced the area would be closed through May 12 while contractors conduct the roundup using helicopters, vehicles and temporary pens. Cannon said the agency paid the contractors $966,000.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/07/nevada-officials-blast-feds-over-treatment-cattle-rancher-cliven-bundy/

The reaction to this case will be the same reaction here the first time someone shoots defending their right to bare arms.
View Quote

If you stop paying for grazing rights, you can't complain when they remove your grazers.  Especially when you haven't paid in 18 years...
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Art 4 Sec 3, go sit in the corner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where in the Constitution is the Fed Gov authorized to own land beyond the seat of the government?

Hint: Nowhere.  

Therefore, all federal lands in excess of the authorized maximum should be immediately sold to the highest bidder.  

The US Federal Government should not be the nation's largest landholding corporation.

Fail. Deals with new States.

Try Art 1 Sec 8.

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever,
over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of
particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the
Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places
purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same
shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other
needful Buildings;

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This isn't about the fedgov owning the land.  This is about the BLM acting like a bunch of thugs and the government not assisting ranchers.  

This is the problem with this country.  Apparently the government thinks it exists for its own sake rather than for the purpose of improving the lives of the people.  They bow down to special interests and anyone with a liberal agenda but stand in the way of PRODUCERS and people who make this country run and prosper.  They punish success and reward failure.  

Go ahead and get wrapped around the axle of the nuances of grazing law but the issue is much bigger .
View Quote

Acting like thugs?  Thugs don't normally let you keep using their land for 18 years without paying.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Which clause in the Constitution gives the FedGov the power to regulate intra-State grazing laws.

Take your time, we'll wait.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Try Art 1 Sec 8.

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever,over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession ofparticular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of theGovernment of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Placespurchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Sameshall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and otherneedful Buildings;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where in the Constitution is the Fed Gov authorized to own land beyond the seat of the government?

Hint: Nowhere.  

Therefore, all federal lands in excess of the authorized maximum should be immediately sold to the highest bidder.  

The US Federal Government should not be the nation's largest landholding corporation.

Try Art 1 Sec 8.

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever,over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession ofparticular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of theGovernment of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Placespurchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Sameshall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and otherneedful Buildings;

Who owned the land before Nevada became a state?  The Feds.
Who decides what happens to that land? The Feds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which clause in the Constitution gives the FedGov the power to regulate intra-State grazing laws.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article V, Sec 3 gives them permission to make regulations about use of Fed land.
Those grazing areas are Fed land.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Acting like thugs?  Thugs don't normally let you keep using their land for 18 years without paying.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the JUDGE'S comments in the Hage case.  They act like thugs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article 4, Section 3, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution reads:

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States

Yes, that clause says Congress can make rules and regulations for TERRITORY OR OTHER PROPERTY OWNED BY THE UNITED FUCKING STATES OF AMERICA, but noted GD constitutional lawyer RevDeadCorpse says no, that clause clearly applies only to new states.

Yes, Congress can make rules for territory and property the United State isn't allowed to own. THAT makes perfect fuckin' sense.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Rule of Law in this Country is predicated upon the primacy of the Constitution. If a law is repugnant to the Constitution, it is supposed to carry no legal force. That the judiciary and legislative branches have ignored this, a lot, over the last 80 years is in no way justification for current actions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find it preferable to abandoning the rule of law.  The Constitution did not authorize nor prohibit slavery until the 13th Amendment passed.

And who is the arbiter of when a law is repugnant to the Constitution?  If it is every Nevada rancher who thinks laws that enable the federal government to own federal land because they want to read Art. IV, Sec. 3 of the Constitution out of the document, then we have chaos, not a republic.

If it is the Courts, then they have already spoken to this issue and found in favor of the government.

If it is the U.S. Congress, then we're all fucked.

Someone says the issue is the BLM are acting like dicks.  I agree with that.  But to go from BLM cops acting like dicks about something to "there is nothing in the Constitution that permits the fedgov to own public land" is an emotional leap that this rancher, frankly, doesn't merit in my view.  I understand people are mad at the government as a general proposition.  I understand that FSA ranchers in Nevada who don't want to pay grazing fees are mad about this particular situation.  But I fear when otherwise rational people decide to start throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Not that I've seen. Like most of the Federal land grabs over the last 20-30 years...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the Nevada legislature ever vote to grant that land to the feds?  If so, 1/8 would seem to indicate that they ceded legislative authority to the feds.  It does not say anything about ownership.
Not that I've seen. Like most of the Federal land grabs over the last 20-30 years...

....and now they are going after water rights....google EPA and water rights....shocking...

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) The U.S. owns the land in question. Art 4. Sec. 3 Clause 2.
2) The U.S. regulates the land in question. Art. 4 Sec. 3 Clause 2.
3) The U.S. regulations trump Nevada state law. Art. 6 Clause 2.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Article V, Sec 3 gives them permission to make regulations about use of Fed land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Needful rules. Is there some hidden need we are not aware of master?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

adverse possession, so yes he is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, homeboy is upset because he cant let his cattle graze on land he doesn't own??  

What am I missing?

He used to pay for them to graze there.

Then:

Environmentalists say it’s time for Bundy to get his cattle off federal land because they are endangering the habitat of creatures who have been there forever.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-nevada-range-war-blm-20140327,0,5253273.story#ixzz2yE5xptit

So he's entitled to let his cattle graze on land that he doesn't own because that owner let him do it in the past, but decided to no longer allow it?

So anyone who rents out land is really giving it away to the renter?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

How am I supposed to get a kickass tan if I can't bare arms?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States

Yes, that clause says Congress can make rules and regulations for TERRITORY OR OTHER PROPERTY OWNED BY THE UNITED FUCKING STATES OF AMERICA, but noted GD constitutional lawyer RevDeadCorpse says no, that clause clearly applies only to new states.

Yes, Congress can make rules for territory and property the United State isn't allowed to own. THAT makes perfect fuckin' sense.
View Quote

What "territory" is the FedGov allowed to own? It's listed in Art 1 Sec 8. Unless you are claiming it's a military arsenal, Naval shipyard, post roads, post office... You are just dead wrong.

The Committee of Style's primary objective when penning the Constitution was internal consistency. That there were no contradictions contained within it and that all powers given were proper and clearly defined. Your interpretation only makes sense if you include at least two generations worth of "case law" to twist the plain meanings of the original clauses.

Keep the personal attacks out of this please.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Cliven Bundy is a sympathetic figure. He looks and sounds like a salt-of-the-earth cattleman. Under that shiny exterior he is a scheming freeloader.
View Quote

If everyone else pays grazing fees, why shouldn't he?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And who is the arbiter of when a law is repugnant to the Constitution?  If it is every Nevada rancher who thinks laws that enable the federal government to own federal land because they want to read Art. IV, Sec. 3 of the Constitution out of the document, then we have chaos, not a republic.

If it is the Courts, then they have already spoken to this issue and found in favor of the government.

If it is the U.S. Congress, then we're all fucked.

Someone says the issue is the BLM are acting like dicks.  I agree with that.  But to go from BLM cops acting like dicks about something to "there is nothing in the Constitution that permits the fedgov to own public land" is an emotional leap that this rancher, frankly, doesn't merit in my view.  I understand people are mad at the government as a general proposition.  I understand that FSA ranchers in Nevada who don't want to pay grazing fees are mad about this particular situation.  But I fear when otherwise rational people decide to start throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
View Quote

The Courts. And should the Courts fail, then We the People.

As we are doing...

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#24]
All I want to know is anyone going to west from Florida in the next couple days?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say regulating who can use it and how is needful.  That whole  "tragedy of the commons" thing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What "territory" is the FedGov allowed to own? It's listed in Art 1 Sec 8. Unless you are claiming it's a military arsenal, Naval shipyard, post roads, post office... You are just dead wrong.

The Committee of Style's primary objective when penning the Constitution was internal consistency. That there were no contradictions contained within it and that all powers given were proper and clearly defined. Your interpretation only makes sense if you include at least two generations worth of "case law" to twist the plain meanings of the original clauses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think the founders did not intend for the federal government to be able to purchase property, I don't know what to tell you. 'Establish a post office' does not mean that congress can only buy land for a post office, for example.

You talk about case law, and yet there are legions of cases construing Art 4 Sec 3 Clause 2 exactly as I have described.

You're making things up. But that makes you a wonderful GD constitutional lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who owned the territory comprising the current state of Nevada before it became a state?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1) The U.S. owns the land in question. Art 4. Sec. 3 Clause 2.

2) The U.S. regulates the land in question. Art. 4 Sec. 3 Clause 2.

3) The U.S. regulations trump Nevada state law. Art. 6 Clause 2.
View Quote

1. Improper claim as per Art 1 Sec 8

2. Only those regulations are per Art 1 Sec 8 which doesn't include regulation of intra-State grazing laws.

3. Only so far as those powers so exercized are consistent with Art 1 Sec 8 or Amd 10.

Amendment 10
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to
the people.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Background info from both sides of the argument:

I called the Bunkerville Constable Office yesterday to ask more about this, and learned a lot. I also called Rob Mrowka of Biologicaldiversity.org to hear his side of it.

They both said the Feds have removed many of the tortoises, and since they don't know how to take care of them, they euthanize them according to Bunkerville. Bob Mrowka said the euthanization story was scare tactics from the tortoise conservatory to get more money. "If you don't send us more funding, all of tortoises iz dead."

The BLM has shut down their traditional Boy Scout Camp Sites, historic camping areas, and Bunkerville actually owns the area, not BLM. Bundy was making payments until the payments started being sent back to him from Bunkerville Township. This is when BLM claims he owes back payments.

Bunkerville has no Law Enforcement, and since they fall within Clark County (Vegas) they are beholden to the mafia Sheriff from Sin City. It's the same time-old tale of corrupt politicians screwing over the locals, and this is the last guy left.

This issue has the meddling from Harry Reid and Sherry Berkley in it.

BLM Harassment
The BLM has declared most of the land off the roads as "off limits", and harasses local residents who have enjoyed the area for over a century.

If you pull off the side of the road, for example, you can be arrested and physically injured at the whim of uniformed persons.

Bundy is basically saying, "We've been here since the 1800's, we don't recognize your authority to regulate the land on which cattle graze."

BLM and the desert tortoise advocates are saying, "But you complied for so many years, and then you stopped. We've beaten you in court, now comply or have your cattle confiscated (oh, BTW, your cattle are State property anyway since they aren't branded)."

Trends in Feds Shutting Down Small Business in the Area
The person that answered the phone in Bunkerville used to have a meat processing business in their family, until the USFDA shut them down. They fought with FDA for years and years until they finally got too old and tired, and just gave up. They have no law enforcement in Bunkersville to protect the people from BLM goons, since they fall under Clark County (Vegas, and Vegas Metro PD-look at a map and see how far away they are).

Payment and Land Ownership Background
Bundy's family made payments for 60 years after the BLM was created in 1946, but BLM seems to have claimed the land in question sometime, when it was really Bunkersville city land. BLM started harassing people and closing off Boy Scout and local church camping sites that they had used since the early 1900's, and began telling locals that they could no longer pull off to the side of the road and exit their vehicles even.

Environmental Activist Position
I also spoke with Rob Mrowka, who is a scientist with the Center for Biological Diversity to hear his side of the story. Basically, once Bundy's money started getting returned to him by Bunkerville, the case was handed over to the courts, and the courts ruled in favor of the BLM, even after being appealed to the Court in San Francisco. Bundy represented himself every time. Once the Federal Appellate Court upheld the ruling against him, he said he wouldn't comply, local and State LE didn't want any part of it, and Bundy was left to continue to let his cattle graze in the area where they had all along.

Rob Mrwoka filed a lawsuit, demanding that the courts be upheld, and the BLM finally responded. Both Bundy and Mrowka say this is a sovereignty issue, and not about the tortoises, but we really wouldn't be at this point if it weren't for the question about who really owns the land- Bunkerville or BLM, and then the tortoise advocacy.

I asked if there was some kind of development planned for the area where the cattle graze, and Mrowka insisted that there was not, since it is a protected area for the desert tortoise. He also said that there are a lot of solar farms being built in Nevada, where they remove the tortoises to other locations after the solar farming company pays dislocation fees for the animals, and there is one on the Moapa Indian Reservation nearby. The only plans that BLM has for Bunkerville Ranch are to erect a monument of some kind.

I personally am not a fan of the BLM, the Federal Government claiming 87% of Nevada's land, and desert tortoises. I grew up seeing desert tortoises out where I'm from in the high desert, but haven't seen one in decades. It would be nice if the Governor of Nevada would back his statements with some force and put these BLM neckbeards in their place.

TL/DR: Cattle Rancher has been grazing cattle on the land since 1870. Nobody has a problem with this other than environmental and animal rights advocates. They filed suit to enforce Federal protection of the Desert Tortoise land area where cattle graze. LEO's never wanted to enforce because they knew it was BS, but are now forced to. States rights versus Fed overreach are central.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you think the founders did not intend for the federal government to be able to purchase property, I don't know what to tell you. 'Establish a post office' does not mean that congress can only buy land for a post office, for example.

You talk about case law, and yet there are legions of cases construing Art 4 Sec 3 Clause 2 exactly as I have described.

You're making things up. But that makes you a wonderful GD constitutional lawyer.
View Quote
No. Of course not. There are a number of legitimate uses for Federal property. From court houses to military bases.

Making 86% of Nevada "Federal land" isn't one of them.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Who owned the territory comprising the current state of Nevada before it became a state?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think their argument is that upon becoming a state, all territorial land reverts to state control.  Nevermind the enabling acts that say that ain't how it goes, but I believe that's what they are thinking.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I don't know the entire story here, but if they rented the land out to him and then over the course of 'x' number of years he stopped payments and the renters never followed up or tried to collect then I could see a possible case for adverse possession.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"For two decades, Bundy has waged a one-man range war with federal officials over his cattle's grazing on 150 square miles of scrub desert overseen by the BLM. Since 1993, he's refused to pay BLM grazing fees, arguing in court filings that his Mormon ancestors worked the land long before the BLM was formed, giving him rights that predate federal involvement.
Bundy also likes to say he "fired the BLM," vowing not to give one dime to an agency that he says is plotting his demise. The back fees exceed $300,000, he said."

Then:

"Environmentalists say it’s time for Bundy to get his cattle off federal land because they are endangering the habitat of creatures who have been there forever."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-nevada-range-war-blm-20140327,0,5253273.story#ixzz2yE5xptit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, homeboy is upset because he cant let his cattle graze on land he doesn't own??  

What am I missing?

"For two decades, Bundy has waged a one-man range war with federal officials over his cattle's grazing on 150 square miles of scrub desert overseen by the BLM. Since 1993, he's refused to pay BLM grazing fees, arguing in court filings that his Mormon ancestors worked the land long before the BLM was formed, giving him rights that predate federal involvement.
Bundy also likes to say he "fired the BLM," vowing not to give one dime to an agency that he says is plotting his demise. The back fees exceed $300,000, he said."

Then:

"Environmentalists say it’s time for Bundy to get his cattle off federal land because they are endangering the habitat of creatures who have been there forever."

Sort of a Bear Pit issue.   Couple of over-reaching losers, and no foreseeable winners.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

TL/DR: Cattle Rancher has been grazing cattle on the land since 1870. Nobody has a problem with this other than environmental and animal rights advocates. They filed suit to enforce Federal protection of the Desert Tortoise land area where cattle graze. LEO's never wanted to enforce because they knew it was BS, but are now forced to. States rights versus Fed overreach are central.
View Quote

This is the gist I've been able to parse out from the fud on both sides. Hence my stance...

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Background info from both sides of the argument:

I called the Bunkerville Constable Office yesterday to ask more about this, and learned a lot. I also called Rob Mrowka of Biologicaldiversity.org to hear his side of it.

They both said the Feds have removed many of the tortoises, and since they don't know how to take care of them, they euthanize them according to Bunkerville. Bob Mrowka said the euthanization story was scare tactics from the tortoise conservatory to get more money. "If you don't send us more funding, all of tortoises iz dead."

The BLM has shut down their traditional Boy Scout Camp Sites, historic camping areas, and Bunkerville actually owns the area, not BLM. Bundy was making payments until the payments started being sent back to him from Bunkerville Township. This is when BLM claims he owes back payments.

Bunkerville has no Law Enforcement, and since they fall within Clark County (Vegas) they are beholden to the mafia Sheriff from Sin City. It's the same time-old tale of corrupt politicians screwing over the locals, and this is the last guy left.

This issue has the meddling from Harry Reid and Sherry Berkley in it.

BLM Harassment
The BLM has declared most of the land off the roads as "off limits", and harasses local residents who have enjoyed the area for over a century.

If you pull off the side of the road, for example, you can be arrested and physically injured at the whim of uniformed persons.

Bundy is basically saying, "We've been here since the 1800's, we don't recognize your authority to regulate the land on which cattle graze."

BLM and the desert tortoise advocates are saying, "But you complied for so many years, and then you stopped. We've beaten you in court, now comply or have your cattle confiscated (oh, BTW, your cattle are State property anyway since they aren't branded)."

Trends in Feds Shutting Down Small Business in the Area
The person that answered the phone in Bunkerville used to have a meat processing business in their family, until the USFDA shut them down. They fought with FDA for years and years until they finally got too old and tired, and just gave up. They have no law enforcement in Bunkersville to protect the people from BLM goons, since they fall under Clark County (Vegas, and Vegas Metro PD-look at a map and see how far away they are).

Payment and Land Ownership Background
Bundy's family made payments for 60 years after the BLM was created in 1946, but BLM seems to have claimed the land in question sometime, when it was really Bunkersville city land. BLM started harassing people and closing off Boy Scout and local church camping sites that they had used since the early 1900's, and began telling locals that they could no longer pull off to the side of the road and exit their vehicles even.

Environmental Activist Position
I also spoke with Rob Mrowka, who is a scientist with the Center for Biological Diversity to hear his side of the story. Basically, once Bundy's money started getting returned to him by Bunkerville, the case was handed over to the courts, and the courts ruled in favor of the BLM, even after being appealed to the Court in San Francisco. Bundy represented himself every time. Once the Federal Appellate Court upheld the ruling against him, he said he wouldn't comply, local and State LE didn't want any part of it, and Bundy was left to continue to let his cattle graze in the area where they had all along.

Rob Mrwoka filed a lawsuit, demanding that the courts be upheld, and the BLM finally responded. Both Bundy and Mrowka say this is a sovereignty issue, and not about the tortoises, but we really wouldn't be at this point if it weren't for the question about who really owns the land- Bunkerville or BLM, and then the tortoise advocacy.

I asked if there was some kind of development planned for the area where the cattle graze, and Mrowka insisted that there was not, since it is a protected area for the desert tortoise. He also said that there are a lot of solar farms being built in Nevada, where they remove the tortoises to other locations after the solar farming company pays dislocation fees for the animals, and there is one on the Moapa Indian Reservation nearby. The only plans that BLM has for Bunkerville Ranch are to erect a monument of some kind.

I personally am not a fan of the BLM, the Federal Government claiming 87% of Nevada's land, and desert tortoises. I grew up seeing desert tortoises out where I'm from in the high desert, but haven't seen one in decades. It would be nice if the Governor of Nevada would back his statements with some force and put these BLM neckbeards in their place.

View Quote

Thank you for getting to the bottom of this, very informative.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

The BLM has been abusing it's authority at every level for decades, and has utilized the advantage of owning the courts and a bottomless pocketbook to destroy, harrass, intimidate, and bully farmers and ranchers, as well as recreational users of public land.

This gent and his family have been grazing on open range for generations, and for generations the BLM has taken his fees in recognition of his legal right to utilize that land that he improved and fostered.

Piece of paper? Proof of "Ownership"?
Kiss my ass.
The BLM didn't need a piece of fucking paper to take his $$$ in the past, and he was specificly named when the justification of "Non-Payment" was listed, so his goddamned legitimate  grazing rights and land use was legally recognized previously.
Some of the lawyer wannabes are slipping.

When this thing goes Waco and the dead Feds are held up as a justification for further gun rights destruction, it will be because confrontation was the entire intent of the Feds.

You walk in and start taking a mans livelyhood out from under him, by shoving a gun in his face, expect a fight from him, and his neighbors that figure they are next.
My money is on the feds COUNTING on a confrontation.

The only thing the FBI and the Feds learned at Waco, was how well murdering people, justifys abusing peoples rights nationally in the aftermath.
Klinton was that kind of fucker, Obongo is that kind of fucker, and Holder as AG means the script is already written and approved for release to the media, when the shooting starts.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Fuck the BLM.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#38]

All I need to know - same Government put this sign up - fuck the feds.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd say regulating who can use it and how is needful.  That whole  "tragedy of the commons" thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there competition for that land or something?

Are there too many people in Nevada trying to use it? Was there violence orsomething going down that required them to step in suddenly?

Sounds like a convenient excuse to me, regulate the Commons my ass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's almost as if Ayn Rand was a time traveller isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Could this be the "money shot"?

http://www.naturalnews.com/044670_BLM_lies_fracking_leases_Bundy_ranch.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This situation pisses me off. I am from this area and my family and friends are involved. Cliven Bundy is going to get somebody killed or hurt behind his bullshit (figurative and literal). I've read that Shiree Bundy Cox rationalization a couple of times. In the first paragraph she tells about how her family leased grazing rights from the government and because they made improvements as lessees they somehow got "preemptive rights" to the land. They are saying that because their grandpa dug out a spring somewhere 100 years ago, they now own the water. If that is true, I guess that I own every place that I have ever camped because I put in a handy ring of rocks for a fireplace.

Shiree also says that her dad has "proven" that all of the court orders against him are false. That is a huge lie. Her dad and the govt have gone to court against each other many times over the past several years. Each time Cliven Bundy has lost. I know of at least two separate orders from US District Court which find against Bundy on all of his claims. The orders also tell Bundy to get his cattle off federal range or the government will remove them. He responded by saying: "I don't recognize the federal government". He has also said that he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the US District Judges who have ruled against him. Cliven Bundy hasn't proven anything and because of his reckless refusal to comply with the rule of law, the US Govt is teaching him a civics lesson.

Cliven Bundy is a sympathetic figure. He looks and sounds like a salt-of-the-earth cattleman. Under that shiny exterior he is a scheming freeloader. His cattle have run amok on Gold Butte and all the way to Lake Mead. His herd is 10x the size it was when he was paying for grazing rights. He brags about how he is the only rancher left in his area, but it isn't too hard to see the reason for his good fortune. He has beaten his competition because he found a way to produce beef without paying for the feed. That is a real neat trick. It would almost be funny if the feed bill hadn't been picked up by our Uncle Sam.

On its face this situation is easy to sensationalize and it sparks emotion in lots of decent people. I think that it is a shame that more people don't understand what Cliven Bundy is really all about and I hope that they figure it out before somebody drops a hammer, or pops a dust cover off his/her Pmag.
View Quote

"Uncle Sam" hasn't paid jack shit to "feed" those cattle.  Your rant sounds like someone was eating the King's grass.

Puke.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Saw on the news lots of people are gathering out there and are pissed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Forgeeve, Forgeeve, I meesiplled my feengers got aheaz of mi--

eminent domain**

To answer your question:

The power of the government to take private property and convert it into public use. The Fifth Amendment provides that the government may only exercise this power if they provide just compensation to the property owners. see, e.g. Loretto v. Teleprompter Manhattan CATV Corp. 458 US 419 (1982).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its about more than just a guy who didnt pay some fees.  Read his daughters version of the events:

http://bundyranch.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Shiree Bundy Cox
I have had people ask me to explain my dad's stance on this BLM fight. Here it is in as simple of terms as I can explain it. There is so much to it, but here it is in a nut shell. My great grandpa bought the rights to the Bunkerville allotment back in 1887 around there. Then he sold them to my grandpa who then turned them over to my dad in 1972. These men bought and paid for their rights to the range and also built waters, fences and roads to assure the survival of their cattle, all with their own money, not with tax dollars. These rights to the land use is called preemptive rights.

Somewhere down the line, to keep the cows from over grazing, came the Bureau of Land Management. They were supposed to assist the ranchers in the management of their ranges while the ranchers paid a yearly allotment which was to be use to pay the BLM wages and to help with repairs and improvements of the ranches. My dad did pay his grazing fees for years to the BLM until they were no longer using his fees to help him and to improve. Instead they began using these money's against the ranchers. They bought all the rest of the ranchers in the area out with they're own grazing fees.

When they offered to buy my dad out for a pittance he said no thanks and then fired them because they weren't doing their job. He quit paying the BLM but, tried giving his grazing fees to the county, which they turned down. So my dad just went on running his ranch and making his own improvements with his own equipment and his own money, not taxes. In essence the BLM was managing my dad out of business.

Well when buying him out didn't work, they used the endangered species card. You've already heard about the desert tortoise. Well that didn't work either, so then began the threats and the court orders, which my dad has proven to be unlawful for all these years. Now they're desperate. It's come down to buying the Brand Inspector off and threatening the County Sheriff. Everything they're doing at this point is illegal and totally against the Constitution of the United States of America.

Now you may be saying, "how sad, but what does this have to do with me?" Well, I'll tell you. They will get rid of Cliven Bundy, the last man standing on the Bunkerville allotment and then they will close all the roads so no one can ever go on it again. Next, it's Utah's turn. Mark my words, Utah is next.

Then there's the issue of the cattle that are at this moment being stolen. See even if dad hasn't paid them, those cattle do belong to him. Regardless where they are, they are my fathers property. His herd has been part of that range for over a hundred years, long before the BLM even existed.

Now the Feds think they can just come in and remove them and sell them without a legal brand inspection or without my dad's signature on it. They think they can take them over two boarders, which is illegal, ask any trucker. Then they plan to take them to the Richfield Auction and sell them. All with our tax money. They have paid off the contract cowboys and the auction owner as well as the Nevada brand inspector with our tax dollars. See how slick they are?

Well, this is it in a nut shell. Thanks.

blah blah blah

Does he have title to the property in question?

Does he pay or have permission from the title owner for his herd's presence on the property?

If the answer to both of these questions is 'no,' he's wrong.

She can spin all the bullshit she wants to an audience eager to see a conspiracy or Waco 2.0. Until he can produce a piece of paper showing he has legal right to the property or use of it, he's simply wrong.

I am all for the rule of law, this still seems wrong.  If they bought the rights to the land in 1887 and then later changed the rules...well they are wrong unless you are going to use imminent domain on me?
WTF is imminent domain?

#I'mnotalwaysaspellingnazi

Forgeeve, Forgeeve, I meesiplled my feengers got aheaz of mi--

eminent domain**

To answer your question:

The power of the government to take private property and convert it into public use. The Fifth Amendment provides that the government may only exercise this power if they provide just compensation to the property owners. see, e.g. Loretto v. Teleprompter Manhattan CATV Corp. 458 US 419 (1982).

Yes i knew what it was. I think more then one person spelled it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

"Uncle Sam" hasn't paid jack shit to "feed" those cattle.  Your rant sounds like someone was eating the King's grass.

Puke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Puke.

Amen.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You fedgov apologists are dupes.  The BLM act like a bunch of thugs.   See the Hage case where the judge plainly said this and said the BLM agents should be prosecuted under RICO.  

The real problem is the feds are doing everything they can do to interfere with ranchers and acting like little tyrants.   The feds should be bending over backwards to assist the ranchers as they provide a valuable commodity.  But instead they insist upon absolute compliance with a bunch of bureaucratic bullshit that doesn't produce anything but paperwork.  

It's the same shit we are dealing with in my area where the forest service won't renew a long term lease for a shooting range that has existed for over 30 years because they insist upon a nonsensical 'environmental study' that will cost $250k with no assurance that the lease will be renewed even after the study.  The forest service has moved the goal line numerous times and intentionally changed personnel  such as to frustrate the process in order to kill the lease.  They don't act in good faith and then want to offensively use the law when it suits them.  

They forget they are here to SERVE the public not lord over us like kings.
View Quote

+1  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Could this be the "money shot"?

View Quote

Yes it is!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#50]
This thread makes me sad. Its disheartening to see how many are going to side with tyranny when the other foot drops.
Page / 184
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top