Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's our local mix.

Snellville also has 1st gen new chargers, two new Harley Road Kings, a F-150, and a Tahoe.  You have to love our local city department, where I don't think they have more than four of the same make/model/generation of the vehicle.  By the way our little podunk town only has 10k people living in it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen a few of the Ford Utes around here lately.
Plus a few of the 'sedans'.
Only Chevs I've seen are State Patrol.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Whichever one has the biggest front door. I can compromise everything else.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really don't get the pickups for patrol vehicles.
View Quote

At least around here, they're for "Commercial Vehicle Enforcement," a.k.a. busting semi's for driving through town, even though they're making deliveries in town.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think I'll ever forgive Ford for killing the Panther. They should be rolling out CVPIs with a choice of 3.7s or 5.0 Coyotes right now.

Cops had what they needed, and 90%+ of the LE in the US were rolling around in a uniquely recognizable car.
View Quote

Agreed.  I love that platform, and I'm not LE at all.  Smooth ride, durable, relatively cheap, fairly safe, comfortable for the driver & passenger, plenty of trunk space.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Was any Crown Victoria known to have excellent handling or horsepower?  As far as I know, they were all shit.  I am sure that the American auto industry will continue to produce more shit for the fleet cars that they depend on.

Why can't the USA build a decent automobile?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
FU
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was any Crown Victoria known to have excellent handling or horsepower?  As far as I know, they were all shit.  I am sure that the American auto industry will continue to produce more shit for the fleet cars that they depend on.

View Quote

they were not very fast didn not handle great but the were fast/agile/durable/roomy  enough to fill the role
65% of the duty cycle of any patrol is going to be idling more so in the city
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I inquired with an agency near me on their opinion/experience with the new Ford Taurus Police Interceptor, their department (through individual officer feedback) isn't happy with it and will not be purchasing more when their current ones are slated for replacement.

Despite being purpose built for police patrol, once all the hardware is added there apparently isn't enough room to use the vehicles as two-man units under any circumstances.

It may be an issue unique to that agency, but I found it interesting.

I believe they are looking at the Caprice or the Impala as their next RPC.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
they were not very fast didn not handle great but the were fast/agile/durable/roomy  enough to fill the role

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Body on frame, RWD, rather easy to work on, cheap parts, with a reasonably powerful, but more importantly, reliable V8 made them excellent as LE vehicles.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Nissan Leafs seem to be pretty popular among the LEO community.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Ford explorers have way too many airbags.  They get some front bumper/fender damage and set all of the stink'n bags off and you now have a totaled vehicle due to the cost of the airbag replacement.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently switched departments and traded a Ford SUV Interceptor for a Ford F150 , in black and white. Honestly I think the F150 gets better mileage in town than the SUV. My SUV was getting 9 MPG.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck 'em, let 'em walk.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
BMW 3 series, Mercedes C or E class, Audi A(S)4. Any of these would suit me.

The Caprice is likely an "orphan" car with Holden's imminent demise.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go down to your local dealer and tell me how cheap they are if you try to buy one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
North Dallas has a ton of departments that are rolling in Tahoes.  They seem nice, and I heard they were surprisingly cheap.
Go down to your local dealer and tell me how cheap they are if you try to buy one.  

I don't get what you are saying.  Fleet pricing is different, it's in the 20's.  Time at the radio shop doing the interior, lights, and radio bumps it up of course, but that's going to happen no matter what they buy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Tahoe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding.

I can't imagine this is useful for LE work.

And good luck picking these out from a distance. In true MO HP style, these trucks show up in whatever color they're shipped in and the badging is just slapped on the sides. It was interesting seeing them lined up a the state fair, blue next to white, green, beige, burgundy, black... really there's no spec for color.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]

I've always loved you...
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Let every agency select its own.  "murica FTW!
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why no Prius option?

<a href="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/aquaman67/media/55D25302-9AD7-45F9-8106-9DDE4A47E818_zpsncpizvyu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/aquaman67/55D25302-9AD7-45F9-8106-9DDE4A47E818_zpsncpizvyu.jpg</a>
View Quote

Not a police car.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck 'em, let 'em walk.
View Quote

Like a moth to a flame.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#26]
They just dont make them like this anymore.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#28]
My county is replacing the CVs with Chargers.  Specialized units have been driving Tahoes for years.  My town has been getting new Tauruses and I've seen one Edge too.  

The neighboring county has been replacing CVs with the Taurus.

Update: Saw county unit today with a new Explorer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You guys wanting the Taurus are either midget fairies or have never driven one. Fuck. That. Car. End of story.

BRING BACK MY BELOVED CVPI! !
View Quote

This.  Actually, the guys that have them like the way that they handle.  But they're cramped as hell inside.  Some of our larger framed or taller LEOs are getting cars that have a half-cage in the back on the right side so they can slide the front seat back farther.  Seems like a total waste to me.  The trunk is very cramped too and easily fills up with gear even if you don't have extra gear from being part of a specialty unit like SWAT or Field Force or something.  Plus, you have to haul all of that stuff out of the trunk just to get at the spare tire which is in the bottom of the trunk.  Our K-9 guys are using the new Ford SUVs but I haven't heard anything yet on how those are.  I've got a CVPI and at least another 60k miles on it before it'll need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#30]
A bunch of departments here are getting away from the Chargers because of drivetrain issues and going to the Taurus and Exploders.

Those Taurus' look mean.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Go retro or go home

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Chrysler Minivan

Or at least something that gets good gas mileage, or something that doesn't burn lots of fuel while it idles in the parking lot to keep the car cool while they eat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Heard from a town mechanic that he's less than thrilled with the durability of the chargers.

I think in the long term that'll be a bigger decider than looks or top speed.  Don't know which of the common choices will come in as the most reliable and easy to maintain.  I bet a lot of guys used to working on the Crown Vic are going to be pissed no matter what.

If I had room for a stable of cars I'd have a crown vic.  Decent mileage for the size, decent comfort for long hauls, and everything that can go wrong with them is a well beaten path to inexpensive repair.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#35]
We've tried the smaller and mid-sized engines in the new Fords.
Neither was spectacular, and going with the top end turbo version adds too much to the cost.
Rumor is we are going back to the Charger in some form, which most of our guys would be thrilled about after putting up with these re-branded Interceptors for the past few years
If you're a small village PD you could probably get away with one of the other offerings. When you're putting hundreds of miles on the car every shift you need something that moved
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Essentially police adapting to a not so great car.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
North Dallas has a ton of departments that are rolling in Tahoes.  They seem nice, and I heard they were surprisingly cheap.

I know of a department that recently bought 3 in Texas for 30K apiece. 4X4 models
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You guys wanting the Taurus are either midget fairies or have never driven one. Fuck. That. Car. End of story.

View Quote

We are running the Proguard 1/2 partitions. There is nothing behind the driver.

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=PG-P1000INT13A
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Tahoe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's not so much the cage. It's the fact that the wheel well is right there giving zero leg room. The seats are narrow as hell with the console installed, and I'm no fat ass. I popped wood when I heard Ford was putting the seat belt buckles outside of the seats again, until I found they made up for that good idea by narrowing the seats several inches. Then the B post is moved forward making for a tiny ass front door that doesn't even open that far. It's a bitch getting in and out of that thing. And I love how the center of the ceiling is lowered so when you install the video system it sits even lower blocking the rear view mirror. Not that the rear view mirror mattered anyways since you can't see out the back anyways due to the huge ass end that sticks up. Oh and that giant ass end? Doesnt mean theres any trunk space cause theres not. Real marvel of engineering there Ford. Purpose built police car my ass.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Having taken a recent trip from California to Utah, all I see in new patrol cars is Ford Utilities (Explorers).  I know the CHP and NHP went to them, not sure about Utah troopers, but plenty of Utah cities seemed to have the Fords.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#43]
In my area, dodge chargers and the ford utility suv's are becoming more and more popular.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Yeah, I've seen a lot of these in southwest georgia, too----not necessarily with that particular paint scheme, though.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#45]
MRAP
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Camaro for road duty, modified with smaller trunk and larger back seat.  Caprice for standard cruiser but with a souped up engine. Tahoe for Sheriff's, Metro Tactical, On call paddy wagon.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of these in southwest georgia, too----not necessarily with that particular paint scheme, though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I prefer the old blue and silver.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
In rural areas (like where I live) they make a lot of sense.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

it's not so much the cage. It's the fact that the wheel well is right there giving zero leg room. The seats are narrow as hell with the console installed, and I'm no fat ass. I popped wood when I heard Ford was putting the seat belt buckles outside of the seats again, until I found they made up for that good idea by narrowing the seats several inches. Then the B post is moved forward making for a tiny ass front door that doesn't even open that far. It's a bitch getting in and out of that thing. And I love how the center of the ceiling is lowered so when you install the video system it sits even lower blocking the rear view mirror. Not that the rear view mirror mattered anyways since you can't see out the back anyways due to the huge ass end that sticks up. Oh and that giant ass end? Doesnt mean theres any trunk space cause theres not. Real marvel of engineering there Ford. Purpose built police car my ass.
View Quote

Are you sure you're talking about the Taurus?

I have a SHO and the trunk is HUGE.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I just wish they would pick one and stick with it. I miss the days of being able to spot a cop in the mirror from 1,000 yards away at night.

Page / 5
Top Top