BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 232
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its the French, they will think dinner has been delivered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MH370: Barnacles on wreckage analysed

Shellfish attached to the suspected wreckage of lost flight MH370 has been analysed by a local french-language newspaper on the island where the wreckage washed up.

Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion says the academic Joseph Poupin of the Naval School of Brest, France, said the shellfish belonged to the Lepa Anatifera species, which live in warm and hot waters.

They grow at a rate of 1cm to 2cm per year, he said, and deemed the size of the shellfish shown to him by Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion to have been growing on the debris for several months or a year.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11489770

Unless they clean it first, that thing is going to be pretty ripe by the time it gets to France.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Its the French, they will think dinner has been delivered.

Fixt
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]

i think where some folks may be getting wrapped around the axles here is i think we are looking at the inboard side of one and the outboard side of the other. Josh is right in the sense that they are not identical, though they are likely the same part.

eta - i take all that back. its the exact same part. i thought i was seeing lightening holes in one, but its the data plate. mea culpa.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It still may never be found.

Truth be told, this piece, if it turns out to be real, does absolutely nothing in the end in terms of aiding the search.  Helping secure more funding, maybe, at best.

We already knew it crashed into the ocean.  The conspiracy theory idiots weren't driving the search, the scientists and such were, and the scientists didn't need a piece of tangible proof that it's in the drink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like we may be witnessing the beginning of the end of this sad saga.

It still may never be found.

Truth be told, this piece, if it turns out to be real, does absolutely nothing in the end in terms of aiding the search.  Helping secure more funding, maybe, at best.

We already knew it crashed into the ocean.  The conspiracy theory idiots weren't driving the search, the scientists and such were, and the scientists didn't need a piece of tangible proof that it's in the drink.

Eh, not sure I agree.  The only evidence was a thin, albeit strong, string of numbers.  Assuming that the data shows that this is from the plane (all but certain), and that ocean currents work as charted forever, (90% certain) this matches up 100% with the current theory.  I think confirmation of that sort is a pretty big deal.  There has to have been lingering doubts "What if we are wrong"...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

When the first engine shut down, wouldn't the autopilot disengage?  Or are modern A/Ps able to handle asymmetric thrust?  I don't think A/P's on even the most advanced aircraft have authority over the rudder, which would be needed with one engine out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This morning on Good Morning America someone (perhaps the aviation consultant) opined that since this piece was found largely intact it was an indication that someone was trying to carefully land the plane after it ran out of fuel.

That could be true.

Or perhaps it came off during a high speed plunge.

Or perhaps the autopilot would maintain a specified airspeed above stall speed and it entered the water in that attitude.  I raised this question last year and do not know if it was ever answered.

I am still wondering if the Australian JORN radar system picked it up and the Aussies know.

When the first engine shut down, wouldn't the autopilot disengage?  Or are modern A/Ps able to handle asymmetric thrust?  I don't think A/P's on even the most advanced aircraft have authority over the rudder, which would be needed with one engine out.

Three axis (aileron, elevator, and rudder) autopilots have been available as factory options on private twin engine (piston engine) planes since at least the 1970s.  It's just another gyro and another servo (and something else for me to deal with, when I have to do a complete control rig).

Rudder boost systems (automatic systems that use engine bleed air from the engine that is still running, to kick the rudder over to compensate for the asymmetric thrust) have been installed on small corporate turbine aircraft for decades.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Three axis (aileron, elevator, and rudder) autopilots have been available as factory options on private twin engine (piston engine) planes since at least the 1970s.  It's just another gyro and another servo (and something else for me to deal with, when I have to do a complete control rig).

Rudder boost systems (automatic systems that use engine bleed air from the engine that is still running, to kick the rudder over to compensate for the asymmetric thrust) have been installed on small corporate turbine aircraft for decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This morning on Good Morning America someone (perhaps the aviation consultant) opined that since this piece was found largely intact it was an indication that someone was trying to carefully land the plane after it ran out of fuel.

That could be true.

Or perhaps it came off during a high speed plunge.

Or perhaps the autopilot would maintain a specified airspeed above stall speed and it entered the water in that attitude.  I raised this question last year and do not know if it was ever answered.

I am still wondering if the Australian JORN radar system picked it up and the Aussies know.

All good into, but do we know if the 777 has all that?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 777 has the newfangled "advanced" flight control system.

Are you going to tell me that the FAA would issue a type certificate to a new airliner that has a flight control system that is incapable of doing what a cheap Piper's flight control system could do in the 1970s?

ETA: Over twenty years ago, an airline pilot was telling me about the flight control system on the newer plane that he had moved up to.  He said he just programmed the flight control computer, taxied out to the runway and lined the plane up on the centerline, then pushed a button.  From that point, all he had to do was keep an eye on things, talk to the controllers on the radio, and apply the brakes after the plane landed.  

It was around that time that I learned about the concept of cold booting the flight control computer on the ground, to clear up glitches in the preflight control system check.

Since then, I've been told that the newer airliners have flight control computers that can handle taxiing out to the runway.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you going to tell me that the FAA would issue a type certificate to a new airliner that has a flight control system that is incapable of doing what a cheap Piper's flight control system could do in the 1970s?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.  Here's a conversation about the topic I found online:

"On the 777 and 787 the autopilot does sort of have control of the rudder in flight. There's a fly-by-wire features called the Rudder Aileron Cross-Tie. It will put in a little bit of rudder to assist in turns sometime. Also, they have a fly-by-wire feature called Thrust Assymetry Compensation that will give a rudder input if an engine fails. On the 777 it actually looks at a loss of thrust on one engine; on the 787 it looks at inertial yaw rate.

As others have noted, the Autopilot will control the rudder below 1500 feet during an autoland on Boeing airplanes (at least non-737 models). Boeing airplanes have a runway alignment submode during autoland that will remove crab angle at 500 ft and/or 200 ft. It's a bit more sophisticated on the 777 and 787.

The 777 and 787 have so-called "Backdrive Actuators" to backdrive the controls so the crew can clearly see what the autopilot is doing, unlike another manufacturer who thinks it's not important to have the pilot in the loop as long as the computers are running the show (woooo-hoooo, I'll be I hear about this one!). Anyway, the backdrive actuators do not backdrive the rudder pedals when the autopilot is engaged, except below 1500 feet during an autoland (when Land 3 or Land 2 autoland status is annunciated). Then they engage and backdrive the rudder pedals so the crew can feel autopilot inputs to the rudder also."
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"On the 777 and 787 the autopilot does sort of have control of the rudder in flight. There's a fly-by-wire features called the Rudder Aileron Cross-Tie. It will put in a little bit of rudder to assist in turns sometime. Also, they have a fly-by-wire feature called Thrust Assymetry Compensation that will give a rudder input if an engine fails. On the 777 it actually looks at a loss of thrust on one engine; on the 787 it looks at inertial yaw rate.

As others have noted, the Autopilot will control the rudder below 1500 feet during an autoland on Boeing airplanes (at least non-737 models). Boeing airplanes have a runway alignment submode during autoland that will remove crab angle at 500 ft and/or 200 ft. It's a bit more sophisticated on the 777 and 787.

The 777 and 787 have so-called "Backdrive Actuators" to backdrive the controls so the crew can clearly see what the autopilot is doing, unlike another manufacturer who thinks it's not important to have the pilot in the loop as long as the computers are running the show (woooo-hoooo, I'll be I hear about this one!). Anyway, the backdrive actuators do not backdrive the rudder pedals when the autopilot is engaged, except below 1500 feet during an autoland (when Land 3 or Land 2 autoland status is annunciated). Then they engage and backdrive the rudder pedals so the crew can feel autopilot inputs to the rudder also."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rudder Aileron Cross Tie is the electronic equivalent of the mechanical rudder-aileron interconnect that has been used on some light planes for several decades.  Or roughly the same thing as the "control mixing" transmitters that I've been using for radio controlled models for something like 13 or 14 years.

The old Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza (first manufactured in 1947, if my memory isn't off) has mechanical interconnects between rudder-elevator and rudder-aileron.  It's a wonderful system when it's properly rigged.  But then you get some mechanic that thinks it's too much trouble to go through all the steps listed in the maintenance manual (or doesn't want to track down the required jig, to zero the tail mixer), or (cringe) some Bonanza owner that read something on the internet or heard something from some other Bonanza owner, and the morons get the system so out of rig that the plane can't fly in anything but a crab, even in cruise.

Thrust Assymetry Compensation is the electronic equivalent of rudder boost.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:04:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Problem would be getting the plane computer to have the locations and speed vector of every other plane on the tarmac.  There's a transponder mode for that, but I think it only works to help the tower out, not inter-plane.

View Quote

TCAS (Terminal Collision Avoidance System, if my memory isn't off)

Displays other aircraft (distance and direction) within a selected radius of the aircraft, and shows their relative altitude (how much higher or lower, the other aircraft is).  Been around since at least the 1990s.  Showed up first in the turbines, then gradually started showing up in piston twins, and then piston singles, as the units got smaller and less expensive.

They can be integrated into a radar display or GPS map display, with the newer electronics (even on the little piston engined aircraft).
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Displays other aircraft (distance and direction) within a selected radius of the aircraft, and shows their relative altitude (how much higher or lower, the other aircraft is).  Been around since at least the 1990s.  Showed up first in the turbines, then gradually started showing up in piston twins, and then piston singles, as the units got smaller and less expensive.

They can be integrated into a radar display or GPS map display, with the newer electronics (even on the little piston engined aircraft).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem would be getting the plane computer to have the locations and speed vector of every other plane on the tarmac.  There's a transponder mode for that, but I think it only works to help the tower out, not inter-plane.

Traffic collision avoidance system.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most smaller planes don't have TCAS, which is one of the reasons they are pushing everyone to ADS-B.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Most smaller planes don't have TCAS, which is one of the reasons they are pushing everyone to ADS-B.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I question the actual "safety" there.  Once everyone has equipment (or rather, everyone *thinks* everyone else has equipment), people stop see-and-avoid scans...and then shit happens.  

Maybe I'm just a curmugeon.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I question the actual "safety" there.  Once everyone has equipment (or rather, everyone *thinks* everyone else has equipment), people stop see-and-avoid scans...and then shit happens.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably some truth to that, VFR pilots already spend too much time with their head in the cockpit.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably some truth to that, VFR pilots already spend too much time with their head in the cockpit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to know a private pilot (multi-engine, wasn't IFR rated and hadn't been current for night flight in decades) that flew out of an uncontrolled airport that was underneath the airspace of a large airport (VFR corridor carved out of the controlled airspace, for traffic to and from the uncontrolled airport).  He flew a Navajo and would refuse to use the radio.  "If I'm not using the radio, everybody else has to get out of my way." (That was his interpretation of the regs involving an aircraft with a COMM failure.)

I made the mistake of flying with him on a maintenance test flight.  Once he was headed up the VFR corridor away from the airport, he flipped the autopilot on and started fiddling with stuff on the panel.  About once every 15 minutes, he would take a quick glance outside, then go back to playing with stuff on the panel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I used to know a private pilot (multi-engine, wasn't IFR rated and hadn't been current for night flight in decades) that flew out of an uncontrolled airport that was underneath the airspace of a large airport (VFR corridor carved out of the controlled airspace, for traffic to and from the uncontrolled airport).  He flew a Navajo and would refuse to use the radio.  "If I'm not using the radio, everybody else has to get out of my way." (That was his interpretation of the regs involving an aircraft with a COMM failure.)

I made the mistake of flying with him on a maintenance test flight.  Once he was headed up the VFR corridor away from the airport, he flipped the autopilot on and started fiddling with stuff on the panel.  About once every 15 minutes, he would take a quick glance outside, then go back to playing with stuff on the panel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This asshole wouldn't happen to be an Air Tractor pilot(crop duster for you non pilot types) would he?  None of those Fucksticks use radios here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Auto Taxi would probably be safer than pilot taxi.  Avoid another Tenerife or other Tower screw up.  
View Quote

Install the system in the airport and have that system transmit instructions to a system on the aircraft. Boom. Having the system fixed at the airport would provide a number of advantages anyway. Kinda like how SAGE worked but for taxiing.
Cut me a check when you make your millions.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This asshole wouldn't happen to be an Air Tractor pilot(crop duster for you non pilot types) would he?  None of those Fucksticks use radios here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  But he did consider himself to be one of the greatest pilots that ever lived.  If you spent some time with him, he'd be sure to slip that bit of information to you, along with his other accomplishments.

Only time I ever heard of him making a flight out of state, he had his wife in the right seat with a road atlas and a pair of binoculars (so she could read the signs on the interstate).
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That island really seems to be on the ball...

Source - UPI
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MH370: Officials hope to find DNA on suitcase; Plane seat possibly washed up in May
The suitcase and wing part were found in the same area where a local man said what looked like an airline seat washed up in May.
Experts at American aviation manufacturer Boeing and investigators have concluded that the flaperon probably came from Flight 370 -- as it is the only 777 unaccounted for anywhere in the world.

Source - UPI

Bunch of geniuses there . . .

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#22]
So did Boeing match the component serial numbers of the flaperon to the airframe yet or what?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So did Boeing match the component serial numbers of the flaperon to the airframe yet or what?
View Quote

I'm wondering the same thing.

It is also strange things have got quiet on this since the part got flown to France.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Source - UPI
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MH370: Officials hope to find DNA on suitcase; Plane seat possibly washed up in May
The suitcase and wing part were found in the same area where a local man said what looked like an airline seat washed up in May.
Experts at American aviation manufacturer Boeing and investigators have concluded that the flaperon probably came from Flight 370 -- as it is the only 777 unaccounted for anywhere in the world.

Source - UPI

Many objects potentially from the plane have supposedly been there since May.

http://www.therakyatpost.com/world/2015/08/02/mh370-was-flaperon-actually-found-in-may-on-reunion-island/
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is also strange things have got quiet on this since the part got flown to France.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed the same quietness and thought it strange as well...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.therakyatpost.com/world/2015/08/02/mh370-was-flaperon-actually-found-in-may-on-reunion-island/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source - UPI

Trash washing up on the beach is fairly common, sure. But a section of plane wing doesn't raise an eyebrow?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Trash washing up on the beach is fairly common, sure. But a section of plane wing doesn't raise an eyebrow?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source - UPI

We should probably cut them some slack.  Hell, we've got a guy here who has spent half of his adult life floating on oceans, and he can't recognize it even with a picture to compare it to.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We should probably cut them some slack.  Hell, we've got a guy here who has spent half of his adult life floating on oceans, and he can't recognize it even with a picture to compare it to.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source - UPI

There was a case a couple years ago where a diesel locomotive washed ashore somewhere in south America.  The locals turned it into a beachside bar.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Now the dragons are angry:

Volcanoe Eruption on Reunion Island
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#32]
French to Lead Initial Probe of Suspected MH370 Debris

A French judge on Monday met with Malaysian officials to coordinate the reinvigorated investigation into MH370, as strong winds across the French isle of Reunion – where a Boeing 777 wing fragment washed up last week – sparked anticipation of further wreckage.

France is leading the current phase of the inquiry, after the July 29 discovery on the coast in Saint Andres, a rocky beach on the east of Reunion.

On Sunday it was confirmed by French officials and experts from Boeing that the fragment was indeed part of a Boeing 777, leading to high expectations that the mystery of MH370 would partially be solved.

MH370 is the only Boeing 777 to be lost in the southern hemisphere, having disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014, with 239 people on board. Until now, no trace has been found.
View Quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/mh370/11781367/French-and-Malaysian-officials-plan-next-stage-of-MH370-investigation.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Its the French, no one will notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MH370: Barnacles on wreckage analysed

Shellfish attached to the suspected wreckage of lost flight MH370 has been analysed by a local french-language newspaper on the island where the wreckage washed up.

Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion says the academic Joseph Poupin of the Naval School of Brest, France, said the shellfish belonged to the Lepa Anatifera species, which live in warm and hot waters.

They grow at a rate of 1cm to 2cm per year, he said, and deemed the size of the shellfish shown to him by Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion to have been growing on the debris for several months or a year.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11489770

Unless they clean it first, that thing is going to be pretty ripe by the time it gets to France.

Its the French, no one will notice.

Not barnacles, dragon eggs
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source - UPI

And some of the unknowing locals burned the found objects.

You would of thought that people with knowledge of the ocean currents might of asked the locals to be on the look out for such debris.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You would of thought that people with knowledge of the ocean currents might of asked the locals to be on the look out for such debris.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source - UPI

You'd have to inform most of south India, the east coast of Africa, and every island in the Indian Ocean.  That's somewhere on the order of about a billion people.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You'd have to inform most of south India, the east coast of Africa, and every island in the Indian Ocean.  That's somewhere on the order of about a billion people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source - UPI

But it was tweeted!  Like everyone uses twitter!

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#37]
The airplane fragment that washed up on an island last week was a piece of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, investigators confirmed Wednesday — the first definitive physical clue to the greatest mystery in modern aviation.

"I hope that this confirmation, however tragic and painful, will at least bring certainty to the families and loved ones of the 239 people on board MH370," said a somber Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia. "They have our deepest sympathy and prayers."

Investigators had already determined that it came from a Boeing 777, and Flight 370 was the only plane of that model missing in the world.

Investigators had analyzed the fragment in Toulouse, France. A French prosecutor planned a news conference shortly to explain the conclusion.

Oceanographers say that Indian Ocean currents could easily have carried debris counterclockwise from the search zone toward the coast of Africa in the 17 months since the plane was lost.
View Quote

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/mh370-mystery-officials-confirm-fragment-missing-flight-n404546
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The airplane fragment that washed up on an island last week was a piece of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, investigators confirmed Wednesday — the first definitive physical clue to the greatest mystery in modern aviation.

"I hope that this confirmation, however tragic and painful, will at least bring certainty to the families and loved ones of the 239 people on board MH370," said a somber Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia. "They have our deepest sympathy and prayers."

Investigators had already determined that it came from a Boeing 777, and Flight 370 was the only plane of that model missing in the world.

Investigators had analyzed the fragment in Toulouse, France. A French prosecutor planned a news conference shortly to explain the conclusion.

Oceanographers say that Indian Ocean currents could easily have carried debris counterclockwise from the search zone toward the coast of Africa in the 17 months since the plane was lost.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/mh370-mystery-officials-confirm-fragment-missing-flight-n404546

MSNBC web site headline: "They Found the Plane."

More proof that liberals are fucking retards.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, that's more a "Generate page views" idiocy than anything political.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Most people on ARFCOM thought it was taken over by terrorists and is intact? Wow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Most people on ARFCOM thought it was taken over by terrorists and is intact? Wow.
View Quote
There was a solid block of us going with dragons.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that time traveler told you this, I can't say that I blame you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said it wasn't dragons?

Are you saying you have never eaten a sandwich and left a bread crust or two on the plate?  Or eaten a pizza and left some of the crust?

Flaps aren't the tastiest part of a plane, so...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Nope.  But he did consider himself to be one of the greatest pilots that ever lived.  If you spent some time with him, he'd be sure to slip that bit of information to you, along with his other accomplishments.

Only time I ever heard of him making a flight out of state, he had his wife in the right seat with a road atlas and a pair of binoculars (so she could read the signs on the interstate).

Thought it best to verify the Garmin's accuracy, so I dropped down to check a road sign on a long stretch of deserted Texas road ... no cars seen for miles on that one ...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/LaRueTactical/Ellk_Hunt/HPIM0353.jpg

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Fucking crooked Australians....

An MH370 Cover-Up: Searchers Knew Debris Predictions Were Wrong

Australia confesses the prediction of where debris would wash up was wrong—and that they knew it several months ago.

Many experts had already assumed what French investigators have now confirmed: The Boeing 777 flaperon washed up on a beach of Réunion Island came from Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370.

Among the people who didn’t wait for the French announcement, the most significant were those leading the search for the remains of the 777 at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.
View Quote

For many months the Australians had been working on computer models that attempted to predict where any floating wreckage would end up. This work led them to make a widely reported prediction that wreckage would turn up on the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia, last July.

The Daily Beast made repeated requests for information about the model on which this projection was based. In June, ATSB spokesman Daniel O’Malley said: “Detailed drift modeling has been undertaken to supplement the original work that identified the western coast of Sumatra as the most likely first landing for debris. The work, once finalized, will be released.”

This week the Australians made a startling confession: Their first computer modeling was seriously flawed, and they had known this when O’Malley made his statement.
View Quote

An error was found in the way in which wind data was being transferred into the first model.” The Sumatra prediction was wrong by thousands of miles, and so was the timing: “There was an extremely low probability that any debris from MH370 would have made landfall at that time.”
View Quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/05/the-mh370-cover-up-searchers-knew-debris-predictions-were-wrong.html
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
So in what way, if any, will this impact the search?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:39:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So in what way, if any, will this impact the search?
View Quote

Other than making it easier to ignore the people that were saying it didn't crash in the Indian Ocean?.

There has already been a statement that the ocean currents could have carried the flap there from the search area.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is some debate over that, and efforts to confirm it (and where else it could have come from, that may match the previously calculated arc).

Probably some effort toward seeing where else debris may be washing up on the beach (if the locals haven't already disposed of it).
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

There was a case a couple years ago where a diesel locomotive washed ashore somewhere in south America.  The locals turned it into a beachside bar.
View Quote

Was not aware they floated.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shells don't float, but they wash up on beaches, all the time.

I suspect the locomotive was found on the beach, after one heck of a storm.
Page / 232
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top