BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 232
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But there is no way that that particular piece of luggage spent 16 months floating in the ocean.
View Quote

do you even tier one luggage, bro?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So they find this part wash up on a beach and it is clearly marked with a number.

I'm hearing on the radio they are going to fly that part to France to get looked at.

I don't see how someone couldn't just look up the damn number and see it if it from the missing plane?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not going to say it isn't it (missing aircraft), to a guy who knows jack shit about airplanes (me), the part in the these photos just don't look identical to me.

Could I be wrong, absolutely.

The shapes and lines of these two wings just don't look the same, very close..but not identical.

None of us are Boeing engineers, so any of us could be wrong.  That's the fun in discussing things on arfcom.

I build 777  wings...and that flaperon is located very close to where my work is done.

So they find this part wash up on a beach and it is clearly marked with a number.

I'm hearing on the radio they are going to fly that part to France to get looked at.

I don't see how someone couldn't just look up the damn number and see it if it from the missing plane?

Probably already done and the trip to France is for confirmation and documentation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is crazy to me that a piece of luggage would wash up within mere feet of a piece of the plane given the distance of the supposed drift. I would think two things that different in shape, weight and buoyancy would have dramatically different float patterns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Clicking around on Twitter, it looks as if someone may have found a luggage remnant near the wing piece. I'm not the best with French.

https://twitter.com/delarue_julien/status/626670886335156224

It is crazy to me that a piece of luggage would wash up within mere feet of a piece of the plane given the distance of the supposed drift. I would think two things that different in shape, weight and buoyancy would have dramatically different float patterns.
At the moment, no one is claiming that the luggage was from the flight.  Investigators are being very cautious in regards to claims about the luggage.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, damnit, I knew GD couldn't agree on tits, but I thought we could at least find common ground on this flaperon.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
So was the pilot trying to do a suicide attack on Diego Garcia and missed?  That is what I get when I draw a line back from Reunion Island to Kuala Lumpur.  He was headed to Diego Garcia
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]

They look like they could be the same part to me.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

sucks for the flaperon putter oner guy, then

damn thing just fell right the fuck off
View Quote

That is not there to point fingers in the event of a failure...it is there identify where the process failed and how to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Preliminary U.S. Intelligence Assessment Reveals Why MH370 Likely Went Off Course: Report

(CNN)A preliminary assessment by U.S. intelligence agencies, produced in the wake of the MH370 disaster, suggested it was likely someone in the cockpit deliberately caused the aircraft's movements to go off course before the Malaysian airliner disappeared.

Two U.S. officials briefed on the matter said the assessment, which was not intended for public release, was prepared months ago and was solely based on available satellite and other evidence, and not based on more detailed findings by investigators. Another government official said the assessment is the most current view of U.S. officials based on what is known so far about the plane's fate.
View Quote

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/politics/mh370-cockpit-activities-u-s-intelligence/index.html

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Preliminary U.S. Intelligence Assessment Reveals Why MH370 Likely Went Off Course: Report

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/politics/mh370-cockpit-activities-u-s-intelligence/index.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(CNN)A preliminary assessment by U.S. intelligence agencies, produced in the wake of the MH370 disaster, suggested it was likely someone in the cockpit deliberately caused the aircraft's movements to go off course before the Malaysian airliner disappeared.

Two U.S. officials briefed on the matter said the assessment, which was not intended for public release, was prepared months ago and was solely based on available satellite and other evidence, and not based on more detailed findings by investigators. Another government official said the assessment is the most current view of U.S. officials based on what is known so far about the plane's fate.

Amazing.  That was my assessment probably within a month or two of the disappearance.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Fucking Australian "Experts"

Nobody predicted that wreckage would turn up near the east coast of Africa. Indeed, the only prediction offered, by the Australians, was that it would in all likelihood wash up on the southern coast of Indonesia—4,500 miles from Réunion!

And that prediction was made by very experienced oceanographers using software developed to trace the course of major oil spills.
View Quote

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/30/debris-shows-mh370-didn-t-nose-dive.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
MH370: Barnacles on wreckage analysed

Shellfish attached to the suspected wreckage of lost flight MH370 has been analysed by a local french-language newspaper on the island where the wreckage washed up.

Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion says the academic Joseph Poupin of the Naval School of Brest, France, said the shellfish belonged to the Lepa Anatifera species, which live in warm and hot waters.

They grow at a rate of 1cm to 2cm per year, he said, and deemed the size of the shellfish shown to him by Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion to have been growing on the debris for several months or a year.
View Quote

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11489770
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is not there to point fingers in the event of a failure...it is there identify where the process failed and how to fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Cracks found in a crankshaft, means that the crankshafts from that batch have to have core samples removed from the crankshaft flange and sent to a lab.  If enough of those crankshafts are bad, they expand the core sampling requirement to include the batch made before the questionable batch, and the batch made after the questionable batch.

I missed the Continental crankshaft AD, but spent a fair amount of time dealing with the Lycoming crankshaft AD.

I heard both were traced to faulty heat treat ovens, and both resulted in lawsuits (which covered the finger pointing part of the equation).
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not even close.
View All Quotes

lol

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yep.  Cracks found in a crankshaft, means that the crankshafts from that batch have to have core samples removed from the crankshaft flange and sent to a lab.  If enough of those crankshafts are bad, they expand the core sampling requirement to include the batch made before the questionable batch, and the batch made after the questionable batch.

I missed the Continental crankshaft AD, but spent a fair amount of time dealing with the Lycoming crankshaft AD.

I heard both were traced to faulty heat treat ovens, and both resulted in lawsuits (which covered the finger pointing part of the equation).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, most people wouldn't believe the documentation required for an aircraft.  Think an entire encyclopedia.  Even the shitter has documentation, but I am unaware of any ADs involving shitters, but FAA being the FAA they are probably out there.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup, most people wouldn't believe the documentation required for an aircraft.  Think an entire encyclopedia.  Even the shitter has documentation, but I am unaware of any ADs involving shitters, but FAA being the FAA they are probably out there.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am fluent in gibberish, but not that dialect.

"AD"?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol

Sshhhh.... He is an 'expert'.... LOL  Boeing is wrong and he is right.  

Number on Reunion Island debris corresponds to Boeing 777 component

Saint-Denis, Reunion Island (CNN)Boeing investigators are confident that debris found on a remote island in the Indian Ocean comes from a 777 aircraft, according to a source close to the investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/world/mh370-debris-investigation/
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"AD"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"AD"?

Airworthiness Directive.  They are published by FAA whenever a systemic mechanical defect is found that poses a risk to safety and direct what corrective action is to be taken (solutions are generated collaboratively by the agency, it's engineers, and manufacturers).  Compliance with them is mandatory.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there isn't one, there should be one on the relief tube plumbing from the aft cabin potty in King Air 200s (and probably other models in the King Air series).  I worked for a company that operated an E90, two 100s, and three 200s, and I was the lucky guy that solved the mystery of the carpet smelling like piss in the back of one of the 200s.  

The relief tube plumbing goes down through the floor, turns aft, then goes uphill to the area aft of the cabin bulkhead, before exiting the plane.  Liquids don't flow uphill, but they can be pushed uphill by the cabin pressurization IF the person using the relief tube knows to hold the drain valve open long enough for the liquid to be blown clear of the aluminum plumbing under the floor.  If they don't let the pressurization system blow the line clear, the liquid sits in the line, corrodes it, dries to a powdery substance, and blocks the line.  Then you get some businessman that has just filled a funnel that won't empty, and he can't think of anything better to do, than just dump it on the floor and act like nothing happened.

After I found a relief tube clogged in a second 200 ("you found it, so you fix it"), I declared in a company meeting that I was never looking at King Air potty plumbing again, so some other poor unfortunate mechanic was going to have to check the rest of our planes.

I don't miss working on old King Airs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shellfish attached to the suspected wreckage of lost flight MH370 has been analysed by a local french-language newspaper on the island where the wreckage washed up.

Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion says the academic Joseph Poupin of the Naval School of Brest, France, said the shellfish belonged to the Lepa Anatifera species, which live in warm and hot waters.

They grow at a rate of 1cm to 2cm per year, he said, and deemed the size of the shellfish shown to him by Le Journal de l'ile de la Réunion to have been growing on the debris for several months or a year.

Confirmation bias
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If there isn't one, there should be one on the relief tube plumbing from the aft cabin potty in King Air 200s (and probably other models in the King Air series).  I worked for a company that operated an E90, two 100s, and three 200s, and I was the lucky guy that solved the mystery of the carpet smelling like piss in the back of one of the 200s.  

The relief tube plumbing goes down through the floor, turns aft, then goes uphill to the area aft of the cabin bulkhead, before exiting the plane.  Liquids don't flow uphill, but they can be pushed uphill by the cabin pressurization IF the person using the relief tube knows to hold the drain valve open long enough for the liquid to be blown clear of the aluminum plumbing under the floor.  If they don't let the pressurization system blow the line clear, the liquid sits in the line, corrodes it, dries to a powdery substance, and blocks the line.  Then you get some businessman that has just filled a funnel that won't empty, and he can't think of anything better to do, than just dump it on the floor and act like nothing happened.

After I found a relief tube clogged in a second 200 ("you found it, so you fix it"), I declared in a company meeting that I was never looking at King Air potty plumbing again, so some other poor unfortunate mechanic was going to have to check the rest of our planes.

View Quote

LOL, no good deed goes unpunished.  I was on a Navy 200 a while back, I didn't even realize they have toilets.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LOL, no good deed goes unpunished.  I was on a Navy 200 a while back, I didn't even realize they have toilets.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about the military ones (I've fueled one or two of those, but that is the limit of my experience with them), but every civilian King Air I have worked on had a potty underneath the seat directly across from the cabin door.  The seat cushion folds up out of the way, when the potty is in use.

Emptying the holding tank is another joy I do not miss.  That's usually the responsibility of the copilot or the linemen (seems to vary, depending on the company), but when something is broke, and the broken part is preventing them from emptying the holding tank...

Nope, I do not miss working on old King Airs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So was the pilot trying to do a suicide attack on Diego Garcia and missed?  That is what I get when I draw a line back from Reunion Island to Kuala Lumpur.  He was headed to Diego Garcia
View Quote

That's not likely, given the ocean current patterns.  If the aircraft had crashed closer to Madagascar, in all likelihood, more debris would have been found along the coast, and much sooner.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's not likely, given the ocean current patterns.  If the aircraft had crashed closer to Madagascar, in all likelihood, more debris would have been found along the coast, and much sooner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Debris could wash up on a beach in a completely different ocean, years from now.  

I think the floating trash fields in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, have already been mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But there is no way that that particular piece of luggage spent 16 months floating in the ocean.

I would say yes I do, seeing how my favorite 1 piece of luggage cost over $1200.

Although I have the 2 wheel version of this Rimowa model.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I would say yes I do, seeing how my favorite 1 piece of luggage cost over $1200.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-131604597333306_2376_573540462.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care how much you love your midget, that is a lot for a piece of luggage.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I don't care how much you love your midget, that is a lot for a piece of luggage.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Real Doll, man. Real doll.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"AD"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"AD"?

Airworthiness directive.  Orders to fix or change stuff.  Basically Uncle Sam saying "Do this or quit flying it!"
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those things are like 10K, I understand that.  A midget out of Mexico is going for what these days, $800?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not even close.
View All Quotes

I think a visit to your optometrist is in order.

See the images with the circles I added on the last page.

They're the same part.

Between most of us, Boeing, and various officials involved in the investigation you're the only one stubborn enough to think they aren't the same.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#32]
"One group of independent observers said Thursday that the damage to the component -- a right wing flaperon -- should give authorities a good indication that the piece came off while the plane was still in the air.

I called that shit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"One group of independent observers said Thursday that the damage to the component -- a right wing flaperon -- should give authorities a good indication that the piece came off while the plane was still in the air.

I called that shit.
View Quote
the news is quoting ARFCOM.

"Independent observer" = forum we found while researching black rifles.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called that shit.

Ha, yea.  It's like when you take a mirror and hold it parallel to another mirror, then get your eye positioned just right so that you see hundreds of mirrors.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I called that shit.
View Quote

One person says the fact that it was not disintegrated means that the plane made a controlled, non-vertical water entry.

Now the object came off during flight which might mean as a result of major forces during a near vertical descent.

I can wait a week or more for a detailed review of the part to confirm its origin and anything else that it might reveal.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will be interesting to walk the cat back on currents and winds to make a guess about where it went down. The currents seem to move in a more or less counter-clockwise way in the Indian Ocean, and it's been in the water for a long time, so it's possible it went down somewhere NW of Australia.

A quick trip to google shows the West Australian current is variable, with about 8-14 inches per second in the summer.  Flotsam could travel even faster since it could pick up the wind better. That's something like 8 miles per day over 500 days, something like 4000 miles of possible drift. That's strictly back of the envelope, and you could get a much better idea with actual weather records.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not even close.
View All Quotes

We have a guy in this thread who builds Boeing 777 wings for a living who stated confidently that it's from a 777.  What evidence do you have to offer that it's not?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We have a guy in this thread who builds Boeing 777 wings for a living who stated confidently that it's from a 777.  What evidence do you have to offer that it's not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's great, happy for you, and I'm sure he's right.  That doesn't change the fact that the two items in those two pictures don't appear to be the same thing.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Interesting thread but I'm dozing off, hope there is new news tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:47:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's great, happy for you, and I'm sure he's right.  That doesn't change the fact that the two items in those two pictures don't appear to be the same thing.

View Quote

Seriously? Turningfinal is right...

Dude, it's the same part...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually think he was blind the whole time.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if the marine biologists and shit will be able to say, based on what kind of life has grown on, it where it's been, to any degree of specificity.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Boeing saying it is from a triple 7.  Looks like our bird folks, can we finally take "Breaking" out of the title?  
View Quote

No. The plane was in the process of breaking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even experts at everything on the face of the earth make mistakes.  That or his access to literally every classified thing ever means he's actually right.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do. They look exactly the same, except for one being worn the fuck out.

Look at it and try and keep the perspective introduced by the fact half of one is missing in mind.  The rivets line up, the shapes line up, everything.

Also there's the fact that Boeing said something along the lines of "ayup, you guys definitely found a 777, errr... least part of it".
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#46]
This morning on Good Morning America someone (perhaps the aviation consultant) opined that since this piece was found largely intact it was an indication that someone was trying to carefully land the plane after it ran out of fuel.

That could be true.

Or perhaps it came off during a high speed plunge.

Or perhaps the autopilot would maintain a specified airspeed above stall speed and it entered the water in that attitude.  I raised this question last year and do not know if it was ever answered.

I am still wondering if the Australian JORN radar system picked it up and the Aussies know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless they clean it first, that thing is going to be pretty ripe by the time it gets to France.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if the marine biologists and shit will be able to say, based on what kind of life has grown on, it where it's been, to any degree of specificity.

View Quote

They will probably say it has been in the Indian Ocean.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This morning on Good Morning America someone (perhaps the aviation consultant) opined that since this piece was found largely intact it was an indication that someone was trying to carefully land the plane after it ran out of fuel.

That could be true.

Or perhaps it came off during a high speed plunge.

Or perhaps the autopilot would maintain a specified airspeed above stall speed and it entered the water in that attitude.  I raised this question last year and do not know if it was ever answered.

I am still wondering if the Australian JORN radar system picked it up and the Aussies know.
View Quote

When the first engine shut down, wouldn't the autopilot disengage?  Or are modern A/Ps able to handle asymmetric thrust?  I don't think A/P's on even the most advanced aircraft have authority over the rudder, which would be needed with one engine out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Unless they clean it first, that thing is going to be pretty ripe by the time it gets to France.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its the French, no one will notice.
Page / 232
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top