Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do you figure?  Here's the image from Post 138 that I mirrored:

http://i.imgur.com/UFESZsy.jpg

And here's the debris:

http://i.imgur.com/zi23Q5Z.jpg

Keep in mind it looks like the trailing edge of the debris has been ripped off.  But the rubber bumpers or whatever look almost identical, along with that vertical row of bolts to the right of the remaining rubber.

It's definitely a 777 part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Officials are confident part is from a 777, which almost certainly means it is from MH370.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/70670716/plane-debris-on-reunion-island-checked-for-mh370-ties

If this is the case it really opens more questions than it closes.  If this is the case we know there was floating wreckage, so why the hell did no one see anything?  The currents around India would also support this showing up where it did.

Are the flaperons water tight?  I'd be pretty surprised if it floated for a year and a half.

Maybe that damn dragon finally passed it.  

Airline geeks saying its from a 777.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6462442/

Interesting pics in post 138.

If post 138 is true, that doesn't look like it came from MH370 at all.

And here's the debris:

Keep in mind it looks like the trailing edge of the debris has been ripped off.  But the rubber bumpers or whatever look almost identical, along with that vertical row of bolts to the right of the remaining rubber.

Those two parts are almost nothing alike.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Officials are confident part is from a 777, which almost certainly means it is from MH370.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/70670716/plane-debris-on-reunion-island-checked-for-mh370-ties

If this is the case it really opens more questions than it closes.  If this is the case we know there was floating wreckage, so why the hell did no one see anything?  The currents around India would also support this showing up where it did.

Are the flaperons water tight?  I'd be pretty surprised if it floated for a year and a half.

Maybe that damn dragon finally passed it.  

Airline geeks saying its from a 777.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6462442/

Interesting pics in post 138.

If post 138 is true, that doesn't look like it came from MH370 at all.

And here's the debris:

You must be part of the blind contingent browsing ARFCOM this morning....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try again:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks the same to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Better side view:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]

I'm sorry but they are not identical.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

of course they're not identical

one is new and one has been floating around a hostile ocean for 16 months

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What looks wrong to you?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What looks wrong to you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What looks wrong to you?

Shape, width and that triangular structure (looks like part of a hinge) on the left hand side of the (new) photo.

The washed up (wing?) looks much narrower.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Like another poster said, of course they're not identical.  One was ripped off an aircraft and floating around for a bit.

Maybe this will help....

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Shape, width and that triangular structure (looks like part of a hinge) on the left hand side of the (new) photo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What looks wrong to you?

The triangular structure is the hinge/attach point to the rest of the aircraft.  Very likely that's the part that detached to separate the washed up part from the rest of the aircraft.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not going to say it isn't it (missing aircraft), to a guy who knows jack shit about airplanes (me), the part in the these photos just don't look identical to me.

Could I be wrong, absolutely.

The shapes and lines of these two wings just don't look the same, very close..but not identical.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What looks wrong to you?

I think the shape and width appearance is due to perspective and the triangular piece near the leading edge on the new part was ripped off. There are barnacles growing on the edge where it was ripped from that you can see in this pic.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not going to say it isn't it (missing aircraft), to a guy who knows jack shit about airplanes (me), the part in the these photos just don't look identical to me.

The shapes and lines of these two wings just don't look the same, very close..but not identical.

View Quote

None of us are Boeing engineers, so any of us could be wrong.  That's the fun in discussing things on arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Something that kind of surprises me is that I would have assumed many sections, components would have some sort of serialized identification on them.

I have assumed (I am speaking from a layman's perspective) that once a aircraft such as this was built, it would have the same structural components all of it's service life and those parts would have something to match it's identity to that of the aircraft it was assembled with.

This washed up part, had it had some sort of identifying markings (etched parts, ID placards) we would know if this is the missing aircraft.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something that kind of surprises me is that I would have assumed many sections, components would have some sort of serialized identification on them.

I have assumed (I am speaking from a layman's perspective) that once a aircraft such as this was built, it would have the same structural components all of it's service life and those parts would have something to match it's identity to that of the aircraft it was assembled with.

This washed up part, had it had some sort of identifying markings (etched parts, ID placards) we would know if this is the missing aircraft.

View Quote

It did.  The data plate is just glued/stamped on, however.  If you look at the above photos, it appears that it wasn't held on with enough strength to survive the impact/16 months in an ocean.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It did.  The data plate is just glued/stamped on, however.  If you look at the above photos, it appears that it wasn't held on with enough strength to survive the impact/16 months in an ocean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fortunately, there is some type of identifying information inside the flaperon.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1600556_Breaking_News___Malaysia_Aircraft_Missing_Enroute_to_Beijing_China___Now_with_Poll_.html&page=220#i54843396
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suspect that if any airliner, regardless of model, had come up missing one of those flaps somebody would know about it.  Occam's Razor says this is a chunk of MH370.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I suspect that if any airliner, regardless of model, had come up missing one of those flaps somebody would know about it.  Occam's Razor says this is a chunk of MH370.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many Boeing 777 missing their wings?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1600556_Breaking_News___Malaysia_Aircraft_Missing_Enroute_to_Beijing_China___Now_with_Poll_.html&page=220#i54843396

That's the panel identifier number, it's there so you know what access panel you have taken off.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Are dudes on here really arguing over whether it appears from the pics to be a trip-7 flap or not?

Clearly, it is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What looks wrong to you?

It's from a 777. there are Boeing part numbers all over it...and every one of those numbers is recorded.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

None of us are Boeing engineers, so any of us could be wrong.  That's the fun in discussing things on arfcom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I build 777  wings...and that flaperon is located very close to where my work is done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's the panel identifier number, it's there so you know what access panel you have taken off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seeing as how the panels are all hand fitted...it will have certain identification numbers telling exactly where it came..and which aircraft it was mounted on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I build 777  wings...and that flaperon is located very close to where my work is done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they find this part wash up on a beach and it is clearly marked with a number.

I'm hearing on the radio they are going to fly that part to France to get looked at.

I don't see how someone couldn't just look up the damn number and see it if it from the missing plane?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That just means that you are in on the cover up.  Building an extra flaperon, beating it up, and putting it on the beach of a French Island in the Indian Ocean is exactly the type of behavior we'd expect from the military-industrial-complex to obfuscate the true effectiveness of the Australian OTH radar installations ... or, uh, something like that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So they find this part wash up on a beach and it is clearly marked with a number.

I'm hearing on the radio they are going to fly that part to France to get looked at.

I don't see how someone couldn't just look up the damn number and see it if it from the missing plane?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found in French territory - that drags the French into the official investigation.  So, the French are going to follow French procedure, which means the thing goes to mainland France for coordination with other investigative bodies, along with any other debris recovered in their territory.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'They' need time to buff off the marks from the dragon teeth.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Found in French territory - that drags the French into the official investigation.  So, the French are going to follow French procedure, which means the thing goes to mainland France for coordination with other investigative bodies, along with any other debris recovered in their territory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beats Malaysia.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Clicking around on Twitter, it looks as if someone may have found a luggage remnant near the wing piece. I'm not the best with French.

https://twitter.com/delarue_julien/status/626670886335156224
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That just means that you are in on the cover up.  Building an extra flaperon, beating it up, and putting it on the beach of a French Island in the Indian Ocean is exactly the type of behavior we'd expect from the military-industrial-complex to obfuscate the true effectiveness of the Australian OTH radar installations ... or, uh, something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

busted....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at his avatar.  Clearly associated with dragons.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Beats Malaysia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beats Malaysia.

Malaysia is in a tight bind.  If this aircraft had been en route from Los Angeles to Tokyo, and the same actions taken by the crew/whomever, I don't know if we'd have any better search results.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Like another poster said, of course they're not identical.  One was ripped off an aircraft and floating around for a bit.

Maybe this will help....

http://i.imgur.com/aPlCVoE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vstJsyx.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe this will help....

http://i.imgur.com/aPlCVoE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vstJsyx.jpg

Damn, good eye. You are correct and they are the same model flaperons. I'm now convinced it is from the triple-7
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Malaysia is in a tight bind.  If this aircraft had been en route from Los Angeles to Tokyo, and the same actions taken by the crew/whomever, I don't know if we'd have any better search results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beats Malaysia.

I'm recalling (possibly incorrectly) the initial days of the investigations.  Nothing against Malaysia, but their handling of that sucked.  No information, bad information, or simply bizarre information being distributed, etc..

I'm just not sure I would trust any findings that would have come from a Malaysia-run overall investigation and report.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Clicking around on Twitter, it looks as if someone may have found a luggage remnant near the wing piece. I'm not the best with French.

View Quote

It is crazy to me that a piece of luggage would wash up within mere feet of a piece of the plane given the distance of the supposed drift. I would think two things that different in shape, weight and buoyancy would have dramatically different float patterns.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Are there unique identifying numbers on it (serial number type things)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's from a 777. there are Boeing part numbers all over it...and every one of those numbers is recorded.

Yes...every single part on every aircraft built by Boeing has a unique ID number...many specific parts also have a unique serial number.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It is crazy to me that a piece of luggage would wash up within mere feet of a piece of the plane given the distance of the supposed drift. I would think two things that different in shape, weight and buoyancy would have dramatically different float patterns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much debris and how much luggage was on that plane?  When dealing with large numbers, abnormal things are likely to happen.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Process of elimination.  4 777 losses:
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 - Shot down and crashed in Ukraine, not a source.
British Airways Flight 38 - Crashed on UK runway in 2008 - Also on land
Asiana Airlines Flight 214 - Plowed into SFO runway, July 2013 - land, again
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - Vanished over Indian Ocean in 2014

Which plane would you guess the Flaperon found in the Indian Ocean is from?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Process of elimination.  4 777 losses:
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 - Shot down and crashed in Ukraine, not a source.
British Airways Flight 38 - Crashed on UK runway in 2008 - Also on land
Asiana Airlines Flight 214 - Plowed into SFO runway, July 2013 - land, again
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - Vanished over Indian Ocean in 2014

Which plane would you guess the Flaperon found in the Indian Ocean is from?

It has to be it then.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes...every single part on every aircraft built by Boeing has a unique ID number...many specific parts also have a unique serial number.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, every single part is traceable. They can tell the exact day and heat lot that every part is made from
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This, every single part is traceable. They can tell the exact day and heat lot that every part is made from
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat lot?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As well as who drilled the holes, filled them and installed the assembly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sucks for the flaperon putter oner guy, then

damn thing just fell right the fuck off
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How much debris and how much luggage was on that plane?  When dealing with large numbers, abnormal things are likely to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But there is no way that that particular piece of luggage spent 16 months floating in the ocean.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Heat lot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat lot?

Which lot of material came out of the steel/aluminum plant.
Every single part has who issued the material, who machined it, who inspected it, who sent it off to assembly to have minor fittings installed and on and on and on. There's an amazing amount of paperwork involved in making plane parts
Page / 232
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top