User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/5/2014 12:20:43 PM EDT

SAF, CGF Score Ninth Circuit Victory in Richards Carry Case

BELLEVUE, WA, and ROSEVILLE, CA – The Second Amendment Foundation and
The Calguns Foundation earned a significant victory today when the Ninth
Circuit Court of Appeals reversed and remanded the case of Richards v.
Prieto, challenging the handgun carry license issuing policy of Yolo
County, California, Sheriff Ed Prieto.

more:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2014/03/saf-cgf-score-ninth-circuit-victory-richards-carry-case/

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.  No grumpy cat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent news!

In case you're not a member of SAF, please join immediately.  They are taking an active part in these lawsuits.  It's only $150 for a LIFE membership.  They need the numbers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for us!!

This will drop off the 1st page in nothing flat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
info on case?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this the same case as another thread on a similar topic posted within the last few weeks?

Apparently not.   That other case is discussed here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1592168_Ninth_Circuit_rules_that_carrying_a_firearm_in_public_is_protected_by_the_2nd_amendment.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if they will attempt to appeal further to the supreme court.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Good for CA.

When I must travel into CA, I still carry my FNX-9 fully loaded, with two spare 17rd mags, and a Benchmade Auto Bedlam.

I will not comply.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Splendid news...
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good for us!!
View Quote

Bump.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Excellent news!

In case you're not a member of SAF, please join immediately.  They are taking an active part in these lawsuits.  It's only $150 for a LIFE membership.  They need the numbers.
View Quote

+1

I became a LIFE member after Sandy Hook, when I saw the cost was only $150.  SAF sent me a nice plaque with my name on it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is this the same case as another thread on a similar topic posted within the last few weeks?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1592168_Ninth_Circuit_rules_that_carrying_a_firearm_in_public_is_protected_by_the_2nd_amendment.html
View Quote
Nope.  But this reaffirms that case, and makes it more likely to hold up if reviewed en-blanc.

It's a VERY significant victory, especially in California and almost certainly for those in Hawaii as well (where CCW is effective no-issue)

I think the end is in sight for may-issue systems.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Not as good as you'd think.

Incorporation of the amendments is not favorable. All they are doing is strengthening the authority of the federal govt. The constitution is a power limiting document, not a power granting. The more authority given to the fed then the more power. What the fed govt givith then they thus have the power to taketh away.

2nd should be followed as intended. To ensure that the fed can make no laws limiting firearm ownership. It then falls to the state and local govt to rule as their guiding documents and people dictate.

You have to watch out when you celebrate this kind of federal "victory" it is highly likely to not go in your favor in the future. It is still legislative action from the courts. Not good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nope.  But this reaffirms that case, and makes it more likely to hold up if reviewed en-blanc.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a VERY significant victory, especially in California and almost certainly for those in Hawaii as well (where CCW is effective no-issue)

Best news I've heard all day.

I still believe there shouldn't be a requirement for carrying a gun.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't read either.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good for us!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Libs may faint:

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
beat by 5 minutes...I type too slow apparently
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I agree.. each one of these separate victories build up more case law making it harder to overturn. Also, with the current makeup of the Supreme Court it is unlikely they will even take it up - so that is good for them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wow.  
View Quote
Amazing - Good Stuff!!!

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Incorporation of the amendments is not favorable. All they are doing is strengthening the authority of the federal govt. The constitution is a power limiting document, not a power granting. The more authority given to the fed then the more power. What the fed govt givith then they thus have the power to taketh away.

2nd should be followed as intended. To ensure that the fed can make no laws limiting firearm ownership. It then falls to the state and local govt to rule as their guiding documents and people dictate.

You have to watch out when you celebrate this kind of federal "victory" it is highly likely to not go in your favor in the future. It is still legislative action from the courts. Not good.
View Quote
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States,
and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United
States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or
enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of
citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any
person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The 14th amendment took power away from the states.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it legislative action from the courts.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
IWB holsters for flintlocks inbound?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
my SAF lifetime dollars at work
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Excellent news!

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
IWB holsters for flintlocks inbound?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why the fuck dont we hear about the NRA doing this shit, they have way more money, yet some fucking podunk little grass roots in Bellevue Washington is responsible for almost all of our 2nd amendment victories in the last decade.
View Quote

shhhhh.... chess.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#31]
IIRC, Peruta was a 2-1 decision.

Nice to see that the dissent there is willing to follow the Peruta decision.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Yolo county?

Methinks the 9th Circuit is just trolling.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The 14th amendment took power away from the states.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it legislative action from the courts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Correct  to my knowledge as well.  States are losing their abilities to keep us disarmed.  This does not mean the feds decide.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I didn't mean to detract from the awesome work SAF does, but sheesh youd think the NRA would be better equipped in terms of funding to pursue these things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why the fuck dont we hear about the NRA doing this shit, they have way more money, yet some fucking podunk little grass roots in Bellevue Washington is responsible for almost all of our 2nd amendment victories in the last decade.

shhhhh.... chess.....

I didn't mean to detract from the awesome work SAF does, but sheesh youd think the NRA would be better equipped in terms of funding to pursue these things.

Ommm, the NRA paid for this one, which was first and arguable most important:
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have this think called the 14th Ammendment now, you should read it:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]

The Richards case was argued at the same time, and to the same panel, that earlier decided Peruta v. County of San Diego
View Quote

So it was the same panel of 3 judges, but this time they unanimously agreed.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How about heller, and mcdonald which are arguably MORE important in establishing precedent.
View Quote

True, however asserting the NRA is not present in the battle is not true, which is what I was pointing out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#39]
On our way to Shall Issue.  Smaller counties will likely have even looser quals.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Splendid news...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fucking awesome.  
View Quote

Don't you mean "goose-fucking awesome?"

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

shhhhh.... chess.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shhhhh.... chess.....

The NRA has taken to quietly backing lawsuits lately. I know that is what they have been doing with the NY suit. Perhaps they see the value in keeping a low profile in these cases, because the left tends to scream "OMG it's the evil NRA gun lobby!" every chance they get.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not true - otherwise the 2nd A would have been incorporated upon ratification of the 14th A.  Additionally, the 14th A did not prevent recent laws that have been enacted in New York, Connecticut or Colorado.  Original intent is the only thing that matters when it comes to privileges and immunities.

Be careful what you ask for because a bullet button and ten round magazines will be in your future when the next Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#44]
The Richards case was argued at the same time, and to the same panel, that earlier decided Peruta v. County of San Diego, a similar case challenging overly-restrictive carry license policies. Yolo County and Sheriff Prieto argued that their policies were distinguishable from those struck down in Peruta, but apparently, the three-judge panel unanimously disagreed.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do seem to be resting on their laurels as far as court cases go.  That's why I only sign up for five years at a time.  I let my membership slide for a couple of years after they went silent on McCain-Feingold. I let them know they pissed me off then critiqued their weak reply to my position with a "no sale" result.

I did re-up during Heller, and they did a fine job in the aftermath of Newtown as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome.  Just re-upped as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I want to make a donation to Calguns to help make this fight.  But before I do and being a Yankee I have never heard of them, I want to make sure they are good to go and worth giving money to.  I assume the answer is yes.  But want to hear for sure.

EDIT:  I have given to the SAF and will do again this time around as well.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Alan Gottlieb is a case winning machine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Congrats to those in the fight.

Would love to see all of cali armed and ready.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
This from the 9th Circus?

Hell has frozen over.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top