Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I change the oil in both of our vehicles about every 4 months. I usually aim to change it in November, so that I'm not outside during the winter months crawling underneath our vehicles - we don't have a garage. 4 months seems to match up with the engine oil life estimator on my wife's Tahoe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
My 2004 Trailblazer with the 5.3L goes about 6k on 5w30 valvoline, with a valvoline filter. And my 2000 Blazer has a hazmat parking permit and marks it territory, and gets oil added as needed. Yet I still change that at about 5k just to keep the filter from filling up with shit and it gets whatever is on sale between autozone, advance, carquest, and napa. Valvoline, castrol, Is about all I will run.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On my Honda, whenever the maintenance minder says too, which is about every 6K miles.
View Quote

That thing is handy to have. The Mrs. has that on her Honda. Also tends to be about 6K or so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Used Oil Analysis' at Bob Is The Oil Guy BITOG.com

NoVaRight, you are half right.  UOA's are useful for a number of reasons. Most people use them to check the oil condition, but they also use them to check the engine condition.  One shows the other.  

UOAs show wear metals (rings, cylinders, cam lobes, etc) as well as anti-freeze, water, and fuel amounts in the oil. People get UOAs to see whether there are any bad things going on with their engine.

Also shown in the UOAs are oil life indicators.  TBN (total base number, how much acid-eating additives are left), insolubles (dirt/carbon particles), and viscosity (high or low) show the condition of the oil itself. Oil can fail in several ways. It becomes too viscous, or too thin. It can contain too much dirt or carbon (filter failure, too). Most consider the main failure point to be when the TBN goes below 1. At that point it can no longer counter the effects of acids that develop and is no longer protecting in that way.

But by and large I think users get them done because THEY ARE ANAL about their car and oil. Anality manifests itself in a number of ways with cars and oil. The 3k mile change is one. Buying the best oil and filter available (or are perceived to be the best) and changing way before the oil needs it is yet another.  Both, however, depend on substituting money for knowledge. The user is throwing money away in lieu of knowing actually what is going on.  By using UOAs to check the engine and oil health, the user is seeing what is going on and can plan accordingly.

One does not need to buy UOAs at each oil change.  A user can get one done on the first one to see that there are no catastrophic failures right from the factory. They can get another done after a few more oil changes to see if anything has developed over the short term. Then they could get one at any point thereafter, as they see fit.  Or, they could get it done at EVERY oil change as a hobby.  There are a lot of hobbies that cost waaaaay more, so talking bad about the buyers of such things is pretty useless.

But the overall question is when to change oil.  The answer is, after you learn about oil, and come up with a number, THAT's the right interval for you.  But for my money, 5k mile intervals w/Mobil1, oil weight dependent upon the vehicle.

BTW, I remember an old web page that is no longer available that tested oil  and filter life on a '98-ish Z28.  The results were amazing and went HARD against the grain of conventional thought. The website took a UOA every certain interval and checked all the numbers.  The oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) protected out to about 16k miles IIRC.  Filters lasted approx. 10k miles. It was amazing to see it all happen.  It completely blew apart the 3k mile interval thing, a holdover from non-detergent oils of the past, and gave rise to the 10k mile intervals of today.  Still, I can't bring myself to leave oil in that long so I change at 5k miles.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
On my 7.3l F250 deisel I change the Rotella T oil and filter at 5000 miles. I send in oil samples on occasion and the results always tell me I am wasting my money and should go to longer intervals.

Oil changes at 3000 miles are derp unless you just like to waste $. The ONLY way to know for sure when to change is oil analysis.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I change my oil on my prizm every 7500 miles. It has 265000 miles on it.  My sons 97 Malibu had 280000 miles on it. We got rid of it but the engine ran strong.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#7]
2005 Dakota 4.7 with 148,000 miles on it. Oil and filter changed every 3-5K with whatever brand oil the dealer has in their tank in 5w-30.

Wife's car gets changed every 3-5 k with synthetic and NAPA Gold filter. We run synthetic in hers because she is not the best in the world at following a maintenance schedule.

1993 Grand Cherokee 4.0 gets changed whenever I think about it but probably once or twice a year. It doesn't get driven much.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
4k-5k miles.  Any longer and and the engine runs noticibly more rough.  That's also when the oil starts to appear dirty so changing it seems like a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Full synthetic, every 10k.
View Quote

This

Royal Purple
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
When it burns it all and the oil pressure light comes on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#11]
6.0 Superduty

Oil - 5k
Fuel Filter every 15k

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Every 5000 miles but the Civic doesn't get 5000 miles in a year so it gets oil changes about every 9-10 months.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
It blows me away what people spend on Royal Purple when M1 0W-40 is about $25/5 quarts at Walmart.  

And it is unlikely that M1 0W-40 will be "too thick" for whatever you drive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Used Oil Analysis' at Bob Is The Oil Guy BITOG.com

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/Used_Oil_Analysis_-_Gasoline

NoVaRight, you are half right.  UOA's are useful for a number of reasons. Most people use them to check the oil condition, but they also use them to check the engine condition.  One shows the other.  

UOAs show wear metals (rings, cylinders, cam lobes, etc) as well as anti-freeze, water, and fuel amounts in the oil. People get UOAs to see whether there are any bad things going on with their engine.

Also shown in the UOAs are oil life indicators.  TBN (total base number, how much acid-eating additives are left), insolubles (dirt/carbon particles), and viscosity (high or low) show the condition of the oil itself. Oil can fail in several ways. It becomes too viscous, or too thin. It can contain too much dirt or carbon (filter failure, too). Most consider the main failure point to be when the TBN goes below 1. At that point it can no longer counter the effects of acids that develop and is no longer protecting in that way.

But by and large I think users get them done because THEY ARE ANAL about their car and oil. Anality manifests itself in a number of ways with cars and oil. The 3k mile change is one. Buying the best oil and filter available (or are perceived to be the best) and changing way before the oil needs it is yet another.  Both, however, depend on substituting money for knowledge. The user is throwing money away in lieu of knowing actually what is going on.  By using UOAs to check the engine and oil health, the user is seeing what is going on and can plan accordingly.

One does not need to buy UOAs at each oil change.  A user can get one done on the first one to see that there are no catastrophic failures right from the factory. They can get another done after a few more oil changes to see if anything has developed over the short term. Then they could get one at any point thereafter, as they see fit.  Or, they could get it done at EVERY oil change as a hobby.  There are a lot of hobbies that cost waaaaay more, so talking bad about the buyers of such things is pretty useless.

But the overall question is when to change oil.  The answer is, after you learn about oil, and come up with a number, THAT's the right interval for you.  But for my money, 5k mile intervals w/Mobil1, oil weight dependent upon the vehicle.

BTW, I remember an old web page that is no longer available that tested oil  and filter life on a '98-ish Z28.  The results were amazing and went HARD against the grain of conventional thought. The website took a UOA every certain interval and checked all the numbers.  The oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) protected out to about 16k miles IIRC.  Filters lasted approx. 10k miles. It was amazing to see it all happen.  It completely blew apart the 3k mile interval thing, a holdover from non-detergent oils of the past, and gave rise to the 10k mile intervals of today.  Still, I can't bring myself to leave oil in that long so I change at 5k miles.

YMMV.

http://www.briggsauto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/oil-sludge-engine-1024x768.jpg

View Quote

What is the story on that head in the picture?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It blows me away what people spend on Royal Purple when M1 0W-40 is about $25/5 quarts at Walmart.  

View Quote

I think I am going to change to M1 5W-30 extended next time.  RP is just too damn pricey.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
6.0 Superduty

Oil - 5k
Fuel Filter every 15k

View Quote

OK there's just no way you NEED to change the fuel filter every 15k.  Kudos to you for taking care of your baby, but damn, dude...
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Every 6 or 7 thousand miles.  I'm not terribly precise about it.  As long as it gets done within a reasonable range of miles in between I'm happy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Once a year, or about 10K.

M1 Extended Performance oil and filter.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]
5K in my 5.2 Dakota. Mobil 1 and PureOne filter. I used to do 9Kish before I turbo'd it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK there's just no way you NEED to change the fuel filter every 15k.  Kudos to you for taking care of your baby, but damn, dude...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

6.0 Superduty

Oil - 5k

Fuel Filter every 15k

Comments like that are what keep me in business! Lack of maintenance FTW!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Every 8,000 miles or every 6 months , whichever comes first. So I basically change it twice a year since I don't drive very much.

ETA : Mobil 1
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Mobil 1, just changed it today in my Honda. I run it every 5,000 but ran the last over . I run it every 10,000 in my mustang.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Kendall Super D-XA 15w40. 7000-10000 mile change depending.

Oil analysis is a must for newer vehicles.

FYI there are almost no group 1 oils on the market anymore. And if youre using the cheapest walmart oil you can find then you would void a warranty on a new engine if you had any issues.

Minimum oil spec is API GF5 approved.

Has to be a synthetic blend of some level to meet it. End of story.

GF6 spec will be released in 2015 for probably 2016 MY release.

Expect group 3 bass oils to the the minimum.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Daily driver F150 is every 6K, and the oil life meter generally shows 40% left.

On the Camaro I drive about 2 or 3K a year, it's once a year.

Lawnmower?  Never.  Well actually I changed it once at about the 6 year mark.  I think it ran worse after that so I won't be changing it again.  I consider the push mower disposable.  Thus far, it's lasted 12 years, still fires up on the first or second pull.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Two dodge pickups one 2007 3500 5.9 Cummins, the other a 96 2500 5.9 Cummins.
Delo and filter 5k
Fuel filter and air filter every 10k

2012 vw jetta TDI
Oil every 10k
Other filters when the book says too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#26]
On my DuraMax I change it when the oil management system tells me. 8.5k to about 11k I have 151k miles on the truck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#27]
every 12 thousand miles.  or 15.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not sure Mobile 1 has to be changed. My truck will go 15000 miles on it before the change oil message even comes on. And Ive run 20000 miles on and it still looks clear on the dip stick. I down to changing it every 8 to 10 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobile1 5000 miles or 6 months...

I'm not sure Mobile 1 has to be changed. My truck will go 15000 miles on it before the change oil message even comes on. And Ive run 20000 miles on and it still looks clear on the dip stick. I down to changing it every 8 to 10 months.

Mobil 1 still needs to be changed. Your truck or the Oil Life Monitor does not know what oil you are using.
It does not actually monitor the condition of your engine oil. It is a software program that suggests you change your
oil based on, in short, how you drive and in what conditions. I doubt that your OLM is allowing for 15K oil change
intervals. If you have 20k on your oil and it still looks "clear on the dipstick" you oil is not cleaning your engine, period.
If ya love her lube her!
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Every 5K. Usually less than twice a year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#30]
6k on the cars and 3K on the dually
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

(my vehicle is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6)

I've been running Royal Purple 5W-30 synthetic oil and Bosch "Distance Plus" filters since I got the truck new.  I change the oil every ~4000 miles (when the light comes on).  Last night at Pep Boys when I plunked down like 60+ bucks for oil and filter I was like God dang, this is *ridiculously* expensive for a do-it-yourself oil change.  It actually would have been more if I didn't already have a quart or two of oil left from the last change.  

So I started to wonder if I can go longer between changes with such a high end oil and filter.  Maybe as high as 10,000 miles?  

The way I figure, if I'm not going to extend the life out of the oil and filter, what is the point in using such high dollar stuff in the first place, what am I really getting out of it?

Commends/thoughts welcome!  

I also wonder if Pep Boys is really the right place to be buying that stuff, but nonetheless, it's extremely expensive for what it is.
View Quote
nvm

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Valvoline semi-synthetic oil and Purolator PureOne filter get changed every 5000 miles; and tires get rotated, too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]
By the way.

Go to your local oil distributor and buy oil by the bucket.

Will be a ton cheaper then in quarts.

A bucket of full synthetic - 5 gallons - will cost about the same as 5 quarts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Every 5 k. Easy to remember on odometer

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#35]
After winter and right as winter starts.

Will add another oil change  if it is really dusty in summer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think I am going to change to M1 5W-30 extended next time.  RP is just too damn pricey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of other good ones out there.  A Fram Ultra, Purolator PureONE, or NAPA Gold filter will work well too.

More often than not, the oil "deals" at the parts chains suck.  Wal-mart pricing is typically better.  

And if you are a M1 fan, consider their high mileage oils.  They are well-regarded over at BITOG, perhaps more than the regular M1 oils.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#38]

When the Oil Analysis says to.

Amsoil user.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#39]
When the DIC says, "Change your oil."
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
4k-5k miles.  Any longer and and the engine runs noticibly more rough.  That's also when the oil starts to appear dirty so changing it seems like a good idea.
View Quote

lol.  You detect it running rougher from degraded oil?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Every 5K miles - but its tracked.

The only way to decide on how long you can extend oil life is to have an oil analysis done.  Blackstone labs is to go-to place.
A report looks like this:

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea so how exactly does this "detection" work?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Every 5 k. Easy to remember on odometer

View Quote

I use TRIP A for gas and TRIP B for oil.

Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Every 8k or so
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I ran Mobil1 in a 1997 2.0 golf, starting the synthetic @100,000 miles. Changed it every 10k with a Purolator Pure one filter. The cylinders had basically no wear at 300k miles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Every 5k with 14.5 quarts of Rotella 15w40.  Diesel
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Change the oil every 5000, rotate the tires every 10000.  It's easy to remember.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#48]
For my daily driver, every 5K, and Pennzoil Ultra is my current favorite flavor.  I redline at least a few times every week.

As someone else posted here, if this thread gets you excited, go to "Bobistheoilguy.com" and lose yourself in the tens of thousands of pages of learned discussion on all things oil.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#49]
mobil 1 synthetic
Mobil 1 filter
Every 10k miles
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Full synthetic, every 10k.
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top