BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 280
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ukraine has been Russian-controlled for centuries.  Russia has as much right to ensure Ukraine doesn't become host to hostile foreign powers as the United States would if Texas declared independence and tried to join a Chinese military alliance.  Washington would not permit that shit, but we seem to think that we can operate under our own set of rules.  

Ukraine isn't worth a single drop of American blood, and the fantasies about WWIII with Russia over it are just insane.
View Quote

You're not the first to use that fallacious analogy.  Let's hope you're the last though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Russia has as much right to ensure Ukraine doesn't become host to hostile foreign powers as the United States would if Texas declared independence and tried to join a Chinese military alliance. Washington would not permit that shit, but we seem to think that we can operate under our own set of rules.
View Quote

Big difference is, the US hasn't made a habit of systematically murdering/killing millions of Texans in the past...which is the reason a lot of countries are sympathetic to the Ukrainians.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I suspect he is just flexing his muscles.  There is the 1% chance that he makes a move, and the situation is that of a very dangerous game, so I cannot say for sure, but my instinct tells me that this is just a threat.

In other news.....http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1596819_Marines_to_train_with_equipment_stored_underground_in_Arctic.html

(I hope they have about 10x more equipment in those caves)
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ukraine isn't worth a single drop of American blood, and the fantasies about WWIII with Russia over it are just insane.
View Quote

Nope but it is a good excuse to weaken Russia.

The US through the Polish, Hungarians, and Romanians supply the Ukraine with support and watch the Russians win a costly victory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Big difference is, the US hasn't made a habit of systematically murdering/killing millions of Texans in the past...which is the reason a lot of countries are sympathetic to the Ukrainians.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Russia has as much right to ensure Ukraine doesn't become host to hostile foreign powers as the United States would if Texas declared independence and tried to join a Chinese military alliance. Washington would not permit that shit, but we seem to think that we can operate under our own set of rules.

The most important difference is that unlike Texas, Ukraine is a sovereign and independent nation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I suspect he is just flexing his muscles.  There is the 1% chance that he makes a move, and the situation is that of a very dangerous game, so I cannot say for sure, but my instinct tells me that this is just a threat.

In other news.....http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1596819_Marines_to_train_with_equipment_stored_underground_in_Arctic.html

View Quote

I think without a doubt he is going in.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Six divisions? Cool. Won't mean shit once drones and fighter aircraft control the skies, cruise missiles and stealth bombers strike your logistical support, JTACs coordinate attacks on your mobile forces, CCTs and Rangers setup airfields to bring in more supplies, Seabees establish forward bases, SEALs go after your leaders behind the lines, Special Forces train up local forces who know the land, etc. etc.

The US Military is nothing to be fucked with when its in full swing. No other force on this earth can match it, not even the mainly conscript Russian Armed Forces. They're a fucking joke to what our military can do. Do you need to be reminded on how we initially took Iraq? Twice? The coordination we have when dealing death is amazing.

View Quote

This post gave me wood.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The most important difference is that unlike Texas, Ukraine is a sovereign and independent nation.
View Quote

Depends on which Texan you ask.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

He doesn't need to flex, he knows Obama is a pussy. He's going for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

None of our business.  0 should stay out.
View Quote
Surely the stupid bastard will recognize that he's out of his league, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This post gave me wood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Six divisions? Cool. Won't mean shit once drones and fighter aircraft control the skies, cruise missiles and stealth bombers strike your logistical support, JTACs coordinate attacks on your mobile forces, CCTs and Rangers setup airfields to bring in more supplies, Seabees establish forward bases, SEALs go after your leaders behind the lines, Special Forces train up local forces who know the land, etc. etc.

The US Military is nothing to be fucked with when its in full swing. No other force on this earth can match it, not even the mainly conscript Russian Armed Forces. They're a fucking joke to what our military can do. Do you need to be reminded on how we initially took Iraq? Twice? The coordination we have when dealing death is amazing.

This post gave me wood.

That's all fine and dandy if the opponent you are fighting on basically their turf does not have an arsenal of ICBM's and submarines that can launch their payloads of dirty annies directly on North American targets in a matter of minutes.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's all fine and dandy if the opponent you are fighting on basically their turf does not have an arsenal of ICBM's and submarines that can launch their payloads of dirty annies directly on North American targets in a matter of minutes.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This post gave me wood.

There's the reality of it. Sylvan has said before that the only thing worse than losing a conventional fight with a nuclear power, is winning that fight.

So... any overt support of Ukraine that directly opposes Russian interests, well, we might as well spin up the missiles and get this going.

But no, Russian can't even come close to matching us conventionally. They don't have to. They have nukes. For now they're content to be bullies in their sandbox, but they will eventually get put in their place.
Maybe China will make a play for Siberia soon... Another big reason we ought to crowd them out of the Pacific. It would force them to look north, at Russia, thus potentially weakening both.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
another ww3 thread. lol

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

another ww3 thread. lol

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
another ww3 thread. lol

View Quote

Meh, getting slightly more plausible. Putin looks to be foing for it, Polaks and Czechs are ready to provide material assistance to Ukraine. How long until Putin decides Obama is such a pussy he can get away with bombing a NATO country?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Russian can't afford to lose Ukraine that's for sure, Olympics is a good cover
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Is this going to be the official Ukrainian military intervention thread?

Anyway it may have begun:

Armed men seize gov't building, parliament in Ukraine's Crimea

It quoted a local Tatar leader, Refat Chubarov, as saying on Facebook: "I have been told that the buildings of parliament and the council of ministers have been occupied by armed men in uniforms that do not bear any recognisable insignia."

"They have not yet made any demands," he said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Came here to to post this

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

There's the reality of it. Sylvan has said before that the only thing worse than losing a conventional fight with a nuclear power, is winning that fight.

So... any overt support of Ukraine that directly opposes Russian interests, well, we might as well spin up the missiles and get this going.

But no, Russian can't even come close to matching us conventionally. They don't have to. They have nukes. For now they're content to be bullies in their sandbox, but they will eventually get put in their place.

Maybe China will make a play for Siberia soon... Another big reason we ought to crowd them out of the Pacific. It would force them to look north, at Russia, thus potentially weakening both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This post gave me wood.

No ones pulling out any nukes anytime soon - that's a pipe dream.

Despite the animosity on both sides, even if we fought them toe to toe in Ukraine over this (also not happening), neither side is going to pull out the nukes. It's certain death for both sides. There's no point to starting something that means your definite demise... both sides know that on the nuclear option.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:28:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well.... seeing as Special Ops is a force multiplier... the number doesn't mean shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't wait to see elite Russian troops in their tactical Adidas track pants and sneakers.
I find it amazing that people here think so little of the Russian Army.  For the past decade the US military has focused on COIN.  Without a doubt the US has the best trained Spec Ops, with the best equipment.  But you aren't going to send them to fight conventional forces.  And what has Putin been doing for the last decade?  I believe he has been rebuilding and modernizing the Russian Army.  So if the article is true, 150,000 troops mobilized, that's SIX divisions.  Where the fuck would we get six divisions from?  I don't believe it's a matter of we WON'T do anything, I believe we CAN'T do anything.  

Well.... seeing as Special Ops is a force multiplier... the number doesn't mean shit.

I wish I had your confidence, but the fact is that we haven't gone up against a peer or near-peer enemy since, what, Korea, Vietnam?  

Iraq, even in the first Gulf War was a paper tiger, Saddam's army was a bunch of ignorant cowards with no air force to speak of.  The Russians have gen 4 fighters, a hell of a lot of ADA and still have enough troops to overwhelm us.

I do think the US military is still top dog in the world but our military is small and has been getting cut smaller and smaller for decades.  We have the quality, but in a stand up ground war I'm not sure we have the numbers to beat them.  We were stretched too thin just fighting insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan, what happens when we get in a major ground war where we may lose whole companies in a few days or even hours?  The Russians can just keep feeding conscripts into the meat grinder, can we keep up?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
You paint quite the rosie picture, and make an awful lot of assumptions.

Drones and fighters controlling the skies, these aren't goat fuckers, they have an Air Force.

Cruise missiles, yup, they've got them too. (with canned sunshine, just in case)

Stealth Bombers are not invisible, the B-2 is good and expensive, and can be shot down.

The last conventional war the US has fought was Korea, and that ended in a stalemate.

Do Not Underestimate Your Enemy.  These aren't some whiney bitch ass ragheads, wars in Europe tend to get bloody.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I <3 Russia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I <3 Russia.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Meh, getting slightly more plausible. Putin looks to be foing for it, Polaks and Czechs are ready to provide material assistance to Ukraine. How long until Putin decides Obama is such a pussy he can get away with bombing a NATO country?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
another ww3 thread. lol

Theres a HUGE difference between a little eastern bloc revolution between cousins, and nuclear war between superpowers.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Also

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 Russia.

Seriously.  We're fast becoming the new Evil Empire and Russia a force for good.  FBO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:36:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seriously.  We're fast becoming the new Evil Empire and Russia a force for good.  FBO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 Russia.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#28]
"No ones pulling out any nukes anytime soon - that's a pipe dream.

Despite the animosity on both sides, even if we fought them toe to toe in Ukraine over this (also not happening), neither side is going to pull out the nukes. It's certain death for both sides. There's no point to starting something that means your definite demise... both sides know that on the nuclear option"

To avoid the quote tree you have a plausible point.
It all depends on which side views which is the weaker to begin with.

Putin is obviously feeling bolstered because he thinks Obama is weak sauce and he can walk all over him.
But who is really on the chicken switch ?
By the time the US administration got their shit together to offer up a response to a nuclear attack, the Russians would have already played the 'check mate' game because they do not believe in drawn out diplomatic solutions when they know they have the upper hand.
Plus the 'Soviet' idea of acceptable losses is far different than those in the Western World.
Putin want's to bring back the USSR and he considers the present .gov of opposition to be weak and confused and he is posturing to take advantage of that.

Obama OTOH is hard to figure out. He is a die hard liberal BUT I think he gets off on wielding power and placing his military in harms way to make him look tough.
Until it backfires on him.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I <3 Russia.

I've got nothing as to how incredibly stupid of a statement that was
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Theres a HUGE difference between a little eastern bloc revolution between cousins, and nuclear war between superpowers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
another ww3 thread. lol

Well, yeah but, Europe is always a treaty/alliance trap. It still doesn't take long for things to escalate once the Polish cavalry has been engaged. It'd be nice if everyone could keep the sunshine in the can.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 Russia.

Hey, did you know Vlad murdered his closest and dearest friend and mentor shortly after taking office?

Yep, dead of a heart attack, along with two aides (also heart attacks), a few months after Vlad invited him back from political exile.

Obama is many things, but he's a fucking saint compared to the monster in Moscow.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I <3 Russia.

You're free to move
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wish I had your confidence, but the fact is that we haven't gone up against a peer or near-peer enemy since, what, Korea, Vietnam?  

Iraq, even in the first Gulf War was a paper tiger, Saddam's army was a bunch of ignorant cowards with no air force to speak of.  The Russians have gen 4 fighters, a hell of a lot of ADA and still have enough troops to overwhelm us.

I do think the US military is still top dog in the world but our military is small and has been getting cut smaller and smaller for decades.  We have the quality, but in a stand up ground war I'm not sure we have the numbers to beat them.  We were stretched too thin just fighting insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan, what happens when we get in a major ground war where we may lose whole companies in a few days or even hours?  The Russians can just keep feeding conscripts into the meat grinder, can we keep up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't wait to see elite Russian troops in their tactical Adidas track pants and sneakers.
I find it amazing that people here think so little of the Russian Army.  For the past decade the US military has focused on COIN.  Without a doubt the US has the best trained Spec Ops, with the best equipment.  But you aren't going to send them to fight conventional forces.  And what has Putin been doing for the last decade?  I believe he has been rebuilding and modernizing the Russian Army.  So if the article is true, 150,000 troops mobilized, that's SIX divisions.  Where the fuck would we get six divisions from?  I don't believe it's a matter of we WON'T do anything, I believe we CAN'T do anything.  

yes, we can keep cranking the meat grinder very well
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You're free to move
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 Russia.

You're free to move

Teehee

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hey, did you know Vlad murdered his closest and dearest friend and mentor shortly after taking office?

Yep, dead of a heart attack, along with two aides (also heart attacks), a few months after Vlad invited him back from political exile.

Obama is many things, but he's a fucking saint compared to the monster in Moscow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 Russia.

Heart disease is a bitch and no laughing matter.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#36]
AIN'T AMERICA'S PROBLEM.
WHO GIVES A FUCK.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"No ones pulling out any nukes anytime soon - that's a pipe dream.

Despite the animosity on both sides, even if we fought them toe to toe in Ukraine over this (also not happening), neither side is going to pull out the nukes. It's certain death for both sides. There's no point to starting something that means your definite demise... both sides know that on the nuclear option"

To avoid the quote tree you have a plausible point.
It all depends on which side views which is the weaker to begin with.

Putin is obviously feeling bolstered because he thinks Obama is weak sauce and he can walk all over him.
But who is really on the chicken switch ?
By the time the US administration got their shit together to offer up a response to a nuclear attack, the Russians would have already played the 'check mate' game because they do not believe in drawn out diplomatic solutions when they know they have the upper hand.
Plus the 'Soviet' idea of acceptable losses is far different than those in the Western World.
Putin want's to bring back the USSR and he considers the present .gov of opposition to be weak and confused and he is posturing to take advantage of that.

Obama OTOH is hard to figure out. He is a die hard liberal BUT I think he gets off on wielding power and placing his military in harms way to make him look tough.
Until it backfires on him.

View Quote

There military is nowhere near soviet size.  They simply can't play those kind of numbers games.  Not only would it ruin them militarily but economically.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AIN'T AMERICA'S PROBLEM.
WHO GIVES A FUCK.
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you mind very much if the note next to your name on my ignore list just says "poleznye" or would you prefer something more colorful. Or specific.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I <3 Russia.

Didn't many of Obama's "aquaintences" die from lead poisoning shortly before he took office?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you mind very much if the note next to your name on my ignore list just says "poleznye" or would you prefer something more colorful. Or specific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your call holmes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Drones and fighters controlling the skies, these aren't goat fuckers, they have an Air Force.

Cruise missiles, yup, they've got them too. (with canned sunshine, just in case)

Stealth Bombers are not invisible, the B-2 is good and expensive, and can be shot down.

The last conventional war the US has fought was Korea, and that ended in a stalemate.

Do Not Underestimate Your Enemy.  These aren't some whiney bitch ass ragheads, wars in Europe tend to get bloody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capabilities mean nothing if they can't deploy and and sustain them.  

Lets throw away the fact that Russian advanced capabilities are few and far between.

The fact remains that we could take a fight to them and sustain a war on their soil and they can barely sustain combat actions with countries literally next door.  I think you overestimate Russia's professional military capabilities.  Their NCO corp. is still needing some major overhauls and their officer corp. is incredibly corrupt.  They still field a large army of what are more or less conscripts.  

Any war that we have ever fought to a stalemate was not because of the military, the US was marching the Koreans back to the Chinese border when politics intervened.

The only thing they have is nukes and once it goes that direction  it's game over for everyone involved but on a conventional scale the Russians simply don't come close to the US in projecting conventional forces.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
AIN'T AMERICA'S PROBLEM.
WHO GIVES A FUCK.
View Quote

It will be our problem when the USSR reassembles itself.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:04:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+87
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIN'T AMERICA'S PROBLEM.
WHO GIVES A FUCK.

+87

Actually it is, since the same thing is going on here. The original protest in Ukraine was in regards to a corrupt government.

May your chains....
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Many folks here fight over who gets to suck Putin's penis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't they already do this shit in Georgia circa 08?

We wont do shit. We didn't do shit then, we didn't do shit in Syria we wont do shit now.

Not my fucking problem.

Hell they did this shit in Czechoslovakia back in what? 68? Why ruin a tradition. And they say that the Soviet Union is dead.

Many folks here fight over who gets to suck Putin's penis.

No, we appreciate a strong leader and we are jealous that Russia gets a strong leader while we have a cock sucking faggot.

However, he is a ruthless, anti-America, KGB, corrupt, pretty much dictator and we would cheer his death. You can admire certain qualities in a person while hating them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually it is, since the same thing is going on here. The original protest in Ukraine was in regards to a corrupt government.

May your chains....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIN'T AMERICA'S PROBLEM.
WHO GIVES A FUCK.

+87

May your chains....

Bullshittery and asshattery.  The same Democratic Cursade mentality that cost us billions in Iraq and helps our enemies in Syria, Egypt, and Libya.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" sounds nice but it's utopian nonsense.  Let them sort themselves out.  We have absolutely no reason to get involved.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:10:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, we appreciate a strong leader and we are jealous that Russia gets a strong leader while we have a cock sucking faggot.

View Quote

No shit.  

Welcome to the United States of Betatude and Fag-Lovers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#48]
We should worry about ourselves. The current admin is gonna let this shit happen because  10 threads about Russia and Putin are better then 10 about our massive debt, shit economy, unaffordable millitary and entitlements. Watch the other hand.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Bullshittery and asshattery.  The same Democratic Cursade mentality that cost us billions in Iraq and helps our enemies in Syria, Egypt, and Libya.  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" sounds nice but it's utopian nonsense.  Let them sort themselves out.  We have absolutely no reason to get involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AIN'T AMERICA'S PROBLEM.
WHO GIVES A FUCK.

+87

May your chains....

Maybe you're Iranian...
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Are the Germans deploying into Polen?
Page / 280
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top