Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2014 11:10:19 AM EDT
Thinking about expanding my shop and came across Grizzly. Now I've heard the name mentioned in the past but never checked them out for myself.

First impression: Reminds me alot of the crap that Harbor Freight sales, maybe its just the paint color?
Mostly made in China, but then again most are these days.
Price is almost unbelievable for the level of quality they claim. A table saw they sale for $500 would cost $1500 from Delta.

And since GD likes pictures.

Grizzly scroll saw:

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) scroll saw:

Grizzly planer:

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) planer:

What am I missing here?

Grizzly Industrial INC

ETA: I should also mention that I'm a General Contractor and while my shop tools don't see use like they would in a commercial cabinet shop they still see WAY more use than Joe Homeowner. Currently most of my shop tools are DeWalt and old Porter Cable, they do what I need, so is Grizzly that good?

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Grizzly mill.  Grizzly makes decent stuff.  Not top of the line but decent quality for what you pay.  For a hobbyist you should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
After reviewing several spindle sanders I decided to try the grizzly that I bought at their scratch & dent sale.
So far it has been excellent, smooth and quite motor and nice steel top square with the spindle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a few machine tools from Grizzly. Their customer support is good and the machines have held up well over time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've got a Grizzly mill.  Grizzly makes decent stuff.  Not top of the line but decent quality for what you pay.  For a hobbyist you should be fine.
View Quote

What kind of tolerances can you hold on materials like aluminum?  

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Much better than the Harbor Freight stuff. You should do some reading at the Garage Journal Forums. They have a showroom in Springfield, MO.  Not real close to you but if you found yourself in that area you would want to stop by. I have been to their showrooms, really nice.

ETA:  A pro 2nd Amendment company and they sell rifle stocks in their showroom.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easily +-.005" and about 75% +-.002" if I'm careful and take my time.  Kinda depends on the operation complexity and as with anything, setup is critical.  My vice is junk.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Grizzley planer (ok)

Grizzley Tablesaw (great, with a few minor caveats)

Grizzley Bandsaw (meh, non-standard sized blades)

Grizzley lathe (looking to sell.  Ok, just got a nicer old Delta to replace it)

G0704 metal mill... haven't used it yet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw. It's rock solid.

Not in the class of a Powermatic, but it holds true and has lasted well for 12 years.  Grizzy makes good quality large power tools.

However, some of their smaller stuff is not made to the quality as the larger ones.    
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
G0555 Bandsaw. Love it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
G0690 table saw here.  Very nice, and a terrific deal compared to a Delta.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the dewalt planer and dont look back. It is amazing. I have ran literally miles of lumber through it including 4x6 6x8 material. The cabinet shop I use to work at had that model grizzly planer and the dewalt. The dewalt is just a better machine. Edited to say I do like the grizzly table saws. As far as cabinet saws go they are gtg.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get the dewalt planer and dont look back. It is amazing. I have ran literally miles of lumber through it including 4x6 6x8 material. The cabinet shop I use to work at had that model grizzly planer and the dewalt. The dewalt is just a better machine. Edited to say I do like the grizzly table saws. As far as cabinet saws go they are gtg.
View Quote

I would have to agree, the dewalt planer is a good machine. This is coming from a die-hard dewalt hater.

As far as Grizzly, the only I own is a dust collector, which has served me well for ten years. Haven't been brave enough to try any 'precision' tools, but from what I've heard, they are ok.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I've got a DeWalt planer it rocks! I just threw that picture up to show the shocking similarity to Central Machinery tools.

Was looking mainly at a scroll saw and a cabinet saw, I've got a older DeWalt contractor's saw in my shop and while it does 99% of what I need, I've always wanted a cabinet saw.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been very happy with my grizzly tools.  I have a 1023 TS, a 15" planer, and an 8" jointer. All have been durable and are more accurate than I am.  

Remember jet, powermatic performax, Wilton and a few others are all owed by wmh tool group, and manufactured in china too.  I can't see the point in paying 2 or 3x the price for gold or white paint.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a bench grinder and it did not work new out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a grizzly mill that is a copy of the Sieg X2. Harbor freight has exactly the same thing, they just paint it red. I like mine, and it works for cutting lowers. It took some work to get it to cut and feed smooth and precise, but I kind of expected that. I didn't buy a Bridgeport. For the price, you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah we just got a Grizzly band saw 14" model for our small shop at work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Apples to oranges.
Both Chinese but world's apart quality wise.
One huge noticeable difference is in the motors, HF are cheap and not balanced well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
What about this one for $895 for a hobbyist cutting aluminum chassis?   It's new

G0758

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0758
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about this one for $895 for a hobbyist cutting aluminum chassis?   It's new

G0758

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0758.jpg
View Quote

The column on that one doesn't look quite as sturdy as the column of the 0704.  Or maybe my eyes are tricking me.  It looks slightly narrower.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Grizzly Band Saw that I bought in 1995. Still runs and cuts great. I do not know about the quality of other Grizzly machines though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
A while back when I was buying power tools I looked at grizzly and their low end was mostly Taiwanese and the upper end were a mix of north american builders. Seems like they've moved the low end to China now that they've upped their game. I've never had an issue with one myself but I don't own any.  I've only used friends.  

Shiraz Balolia, who owns Grizzly, is a shooter and makes certain they sell gunsmithing tools and supplies.

About 6 years ago I went to buy a dust collector from a guy off craigslist.  While in his shop I asked how he like his big, resaw sized band saw.  He said it had broken in an odd way.  He opened the top cover and showed me a failed weld where the wheel attaches.  I snapped a pic of it because it was such an odd failure.  A few weeks later I was on wood working forum and someone asked if anyone had any problems with Grizzly's large resaw band saws.  I posted the pic saying I had recently run into one with an issue while buying a piece of equipment but I didn't think it was common.  Shiraz came back and posted about a dozen personal attacks directed at me.  He accused me of manufacturing an issue and trying to sully his name.  I posted that he needed to calm the fuck down and that up until now I had no issue with Grizzly. He would have been banned 4 times over for posting what he did here.

So they don't seem to be bad tools but I'm not planning on buying any.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The column on that one doesn't look quite as sturdy as the column of the 0704.  Or maybe my eyes are tricking me.  It looks slightly narrower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G0758

You got the 0704?  If so how is it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Wife bought a scroll saw from them 15 years ago.
Broke a part 2-3 years later, and it was NOT available.
Anywhere CS basically said, "Well sell you a new scroll saw!".

Hmm, I have other brand stuff, 20, 30, 40 years old and can still usually get parts.
But they were all made in 'MURICA!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#26]

All my stuff was Jet. Which I think bought Grizzly. Or maybe I have that part mixed up.

Ed

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive been looking at their website because im in the market for a mill and a metal lathe.  Did you guys notice they have a whole "gunsmithing" section?  They sell chamber reamers, go/no go gauges and barrels.  I have no idea about the quality of any of it.....

http://www.grizzly.com/featured/gunsmithing

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G0758

I'll let you know when I remove the cosmoline and actually use it.  

I'm planning to eventually do a ballscrew conversion and convert it for CNC use.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Grizzly stuff I have/had:
G0704 mill (awaiting CNC)
G0602 lathe (awaiting CNC)
G0517 bandsaw (sold, moved up to a Laguna)
G0548 dust collector (still have)

I've been very pleased with all their stuff.  I really liked the bandsaw - pretty sure it can't be beat for the price.  The mill isn't the greatest, but again, for the price it's really tough to beat.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
All my stuff was Jet. Which I think bought Grizzly. Or maybe I have that part mixed up.

Ed

View Quote

JET is part of Walter Meier.  Unrelated to Grizzly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#31]
have a number of their smaller tools for my lathe and have been happy

plan on getting one of their mills..  

i know their gunsmith 12" lathes are worth the money for sure..

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I've been very pleased with all their stuff.  I really liked the bandsaw - pretty sure it can't be beat for the price.  The mill isn't the greatest, but again, for the price it's really tough to beat.

View Quote

i see it as its better than buying HFs stuff..  even it its made on the same street in China..seems like a better product.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#33]
You can actually get parts for a Grizzly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#34]
A scroll saw isn't such a heavy duty machine to begin with, in most cases even a machine from Home Depot/Lowes will work fine.

A cabinet/table saw is another matter. That is the heart of your shop. That is the most important tool. I started with a Delta contractor saw, the one with the aluminum waffle table and plastic base, direct drive. That was a joke. Upgraded to a Hitachi home shop saw with induction motor and cast iron top and better fence. Although it was great at first the fence showed its shortcomings and then the motor and arbor bearings went. Changed the arbor bearings and luckily my dad's friend has a motor shop and he rebuilt my motor. Problem is it was not TEFC, but ODP and a POS.

Finally I bit the bullet and bought a Delta Unisaw 36L-352. Yeah, it cost over 4 times with the other two cost combined, but it's the last saw I'll ever buy. Solid, well made, holds settings, and enough power and capacity to cut anything I've thrown at it. I was lucky because Amazon had dropped the price on it at the time, it's now $700 more than what I paid.

Basically the whole point of my post is to say, for a table saw, buy once and cry once. Especially since you're a contractor and know the value of quality tools and the frustration of buying a tool more than once to replace a shitty one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

i see it as its better than buying HFs stuff..  even it its made on the same street in China..seems like a better product.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As others have said, different companies have their shit made to different standards in China.  

I will say this about my G0704... the threaded cabinet bolt-down holes did not quite line up with the mill.   They were just an RCH off.  Could get 3 of the 4 metric bolts threaded.   Just by pure dumb luck, that metric thread is close enough to an SAE bolt (I forget which one atm) that is ever so slightly smaller and doesn't cross-thread with that metric.   So I was able to use that for the last bolt.   Redneck McGuyver like a mfer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#36]
We have a few Grizzly machines in our wood shop. Fhey're not Festool quality, but they're pretty good, especially for the price. The bandsaws are particularly nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I use there full size metalworking lathes quite a bit. They are good machines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We have a few Grizzly machines in our wood shop. Fhey're not Festool quality, but they're pretty good, especially for the price. The bandsaws are particularly nice.
View Quote

There's not much that lives up to Festool.

Ammo fort?  Hah.  You should see my Systainer fort.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the 0704 mill, how much more for ths cnc conversion?  Any good sites to source the cnc kit for the 0704?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#40]
For a scrollsaw, check Craigslist - I've got two Delta SS's and an old Yates-American that I got for less than $300 total for all of them.  I could've put both Delta's to wrk the day I brought them home.

Here's the Y-A waiting on its restoration:

You can see a Delta (with included "retirement" light) behind one the DeWalt RAS's:

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.  Better QC and machines built to a better standard.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

For the 0704 mill, how much more for ths cnc conversion?  Any good sites to source the cnc kit for the 0704?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look for Hoss on CNCzone, and check out his site at g0704.com.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.g0704.com/
A good place to start.

These guys sell a turnkey ballscrew conversion, too.

http://www.midwestmachineworks.com/products/mills/g0704.html

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Grizzly Bandsaw for 15 years.  gtg.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I have their mini-mill.  It's made by the same people who make all the small machine tools for Harbor Freight, etc.  It's a great precision drill press and over-arm router, out of the box, and you can make it into a decent mill for small parts with a little extra work (and aftermarket parts).  If you're not making parts for the space station, it's probably not gonna be that big of a deal.

I got on their site earlier to see if they still had their ultra-cheap guitar kits and they've apparently become real proud of them lately, as they jacked up the prices on them.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Got their 6" jointer. Once it's set up properly, its great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a older Grizzly Shaper. No complaints.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Found a cost spreadsheet to do a CNC conversion on the G0704

https://app.box.com/s/aadlxjjycniiuszuypex
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Easily +-.005" and about 75% +-.002" if I'm careful and take my time.  Kinda depends on the operation complexity and as with anything, setup is critical.  My vice is junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I have some wood working stuff.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I got on their site earlier to see if they still had their ultra-cheap guitar kits and they've apparently become real proud of them lately, as they jacked up the prices on them.

View Quote

AFAIK, that's been the case most places.  For whatever reason, that's become the next cool thing for people just getting into woodworking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top