BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just finished rewiring our X8 and swapping over to the Futaba 14SG. Did a quick test hop, then strapped on 22lbs of weight and did another.

It'll carry a GoPro just fine
View Quote

I just spent the weekend camping at Reelfoot lake hoping to get some fall foliage and some of the thousands of birds, ducks, and eagles normally there this time of year.  Took the Phantom and never got it  out of the truck.  Nothing worthwhile to shoot this weekend and almost completely devoid of birds.  This week last year the lake was almost completely white with cranes and the sky would actually turn dark with lifting ducks and geese.  Going to be at least the end of this week before the foliage gets into full color show.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
And my wife walked right over this bastard before even seeing it along with our Aussie.  Seen way too many Cottonmouths this year  Roughly 3 1/2 - 4 ft long.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just finished rewiring our X8 and swapping over to the Futaba 14SG. Did a quick test hop, then strapped on 22lbs of weight and did another.

View Quote

what motors are you running on your x8? I just bought a 14SG - should ship today.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

what motors are you running on your x8? I just bought a 14SG - should ship today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

T-Motor U7s
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
it arrived!!!!!!

I havent been this excited in a while. The build quality is outstanding. The frame is so light! Ill post more picks later. The packaging and labeling inside is very well layed out.All the parts are in separate sealed bags and marked accordingly. The box even had a seal to show whether it had been opened or not. Love it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it arrived!!!!!!

I havent been this excited in a while. The build quality is outstanding. The frame is so light! Ill post more picks later. The packaging and labeling inside is very well layed out.All the parts are in separate sealed bags and marked accordingly. The box even had a seal to show whether it had been opened or not. Love it.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10403561_10205048124106857_3421618559844711281_n.jpg?oh=9aa32734819d0aa757643382114a3efa&oe=54DE57C1
View Quote

Is it done yet?  Is it done yet???  This should be a fun one to watch!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys see this new OK GO video. Was shot with a "drone". I did a breakdown of their drone here.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
it arrived!!!!!!

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10403561_10205048124106857_3421618559844711281_n.jpg?oh=9aa32734819d0aa757643382114a3efa&oe=54DE57C1
View Quote

I got your email. Unfortunately I don't have recommendations on motors and I'm testing props right now

If I had a wattmeter I'd be in better shape. I'm actually looking into alternatives for the T-Motor U7s since I'm certain there's something better out there.

Hopefully test flying the X8 with the MoVi tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got your email. Unfortunately I don't have recommendations on motors and I'm testing props right now

If I had a wattmeter I'd be in better shape. I'm actually looking into alternatives for the T-Motor U7s since I'm certain there's something better out there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it arrived!!!!!!

MoVI is nice! video above was shot with one.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it arrived!!!!!!

hmm, Im looking at the T-u7 motors and will need to make a decision soon. Seems to be the go to motor on most rigs of this size
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it arrived!!!!!!

I shot this on a MoVi and a 5D.

http://vimeo.com/planetinhouse/volusia

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You guys see this new OK GO video. Was shot with a "drone". I did a breakdown of their drone here.

http://youtu.be/u1ZB_rGFyeU

View Quote

I saw this posted somewhere else earlier and never watched it not knowing what it was about.  That was impressive in just about every way imaginable.  Some incredible planning involved in pulling all that off!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally flew the 650 for a few minutes today just looking to see if the fall colors were any better from above.  Even out in the country they are far and few between and it seems the leaves are falling off faster than the trees can change.  This is the first time I have flown and recorded with the gimbal on this quad and I am not as happy with the results as I thought I would be.  The wind at altitude was blowing pretty strong though even as it was totally calm on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally, FINALLY everything is coming together

With a couple of minor quirks today, we managed to get the MoVi in the air on the X8. I'm getting about 7:30 on two 10k mah 6S batteries, which is about the best I can expect right now. Doing some practice tomorrow, hopefully without any other stupid mishaps.

Also, whacked a tree at full speed with my Blackout Nicked a prop, but that's it. ONE STUPID GAP in the trees at my field is the bane of my existence, I've crashed trying to fly through it like 8 times so far
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With a couple of minor quirks today, we managed to get the MoVi in the air on the X8. I'm getting about 7:30 on two 10k mah 6S batteries, which is about the best I can expect right now. Doing some practice tomorrow, hopefully without any other stupid mishaps.

Also, whacked a tree at full speed with my Blackout Nicked a prop, but that's it. ONE STUPID GAP in the trees at my field is the bane of my existence, I've crashed trying to fly through it like 8 times so far
View Quote

Yeah take it slow and easy on the X8 for a while.  Would hate to see that get destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah take it slow and easy on the X8 for a while.  Would hate to see that get destroyed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not as scared of it now that it's been crashed once

I did some minor tuning on it today and have it flying pretty darn well. The control wheels are working, my repairs are working, seems like it's good to go for once.

Now if only the Skyjib would show up so we could make it the primary!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Do any of the rest of you have problems with birds going after you quad?  Almost every time I fly hawks suddenly appear out of nowhere and start circling and swooping.  Never have been able to get it on video yet but it happens a lot.  If not hawks it is other birds like chimney sweeps and blackbirds.  It is always a matter of playing dog the birdie to keep from having a catastrophic crash!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I've flown around lots of birds and they've always run from me. I wonder why they go after some and avoid others....
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone in this thread is a potential terrorist according to the NYPD.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/29/nypd-threat-of-terrorists-with-drones-is-a-growing-concern/
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've flown around lots of birds and they've always run from me. I wonder why they go after some and avoid others....
View Quote
I flew hundreds of hours this summer. And yes, on a couple occasions some red tail hawks took an interest. But once they got near, they backed way off. At about 20' they had the "nope" expression.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do any of the rest of you have problems with birds going after you quad?  Almost every time I fly hawks suddenly appear out of nowhere and start circling and swooping.  Never have been able to get it on video yet but it happens a lot.  If not hawks it is other birds like chimney sweeps and blackbirds.  It is always a matter of playing dog the birdie to keep from having a catastrophic crash!
View Quote

I don't think hawks, but I've had smaller birds go after my P2V+ a bunch of times. I figure it's the same reason they chase hawks and crows on occasion.

When that happens I usually try to bring it back my way fast and they usually fly off. I figure a stupid bird impacted the prop won't make for a good day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I flew hundreds of hours this summer. And yes, on a couple occasions some red tail hawks took an interest. But once they got near, they backed way off. At about 20' they had the "nope" expression.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a few gigs down on the water this summer where there was an osprey nested. A few times it would fly at my quad to check it out, but never had a real close call. Seagulls like to check it out as well but have yet to have anything attack it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#23]
More success today except for iffy GPS on the MoVi. Now that we have everything juuuuust working, we have a movie shoot next week.... my knees are knocking a little

Got a duration test done on my Tarot FY650. 14 minutes with two parallel 4S 2650s, but I discharged them a little too far for my liking. Once the gimbal is installed I'm guessing I'll get 10-12 minutes out of it. Not the 15 I was hoping for, but I also have more weight on it than stock so I'm fairly happy... 10 minutes is a long time

Now to finish tuning it (yaw and altitude hold problems), install the gimbal and shoot some video!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There are a few videos where people have intentionally flown these way out of range and it is impressive to see them return on their own.  Doesn't always work but is neat as hell when they do!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been seriously considering a DJI Phantom II with the brushless gimble for the gopro.  They are down below $900 now.  The return to home feature looks particular important

There are a few videos where people have intentionally flown these way out of range and it is impressive to see them return on their own.  Doesn't always work but is neat as hell when they do!

The City of Tampa TV station is a customer, and the engineer told me about a time their $4000 six-rotor machine flew away.  As in, just flew away...

I keep trying to get him to let me fly it, but that's not going to happen.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have to be one of the luckiest people on the planet today!!!!!  After looking at the weather forecast which shows nearly 80% chance of rain and storms everyday the rest of this week I decided to make the 45 mile drive back to the campground this afternoon and search some more.  After walking 1/2 mile back into the woods near where it had crashed I finally spotted the orange floaty on the GoPro about 30 feet up in a limb near the lake shore where it had crashed.  After thinking for a while I came up with the idea of throwing sticks and rocks at it with hopes of knocking it out.  The first stick about 2 feet long connected but it did not budge.  The more attempts I made the farther my bad crippled arm was missing.  Suddenly as if by an act of God a big gust of wind blew it free and it fell 15 feet into the top of a small cedar tree.  I was then able to shake the cedar until it fell into my awaiting arms.  What are the odds of me being there 8 hours later and it falling??????  

Only damage is a chipped prop, a bent prop, and a busted Tupperware lid!   I was even able to save the battery which is one of my brand new 3000 mah's as it still had 10.84 volts remaining.  The Naza was still flashing green when I recovered it!

Where it was

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/recover_zps4e185756.jpg

The only damage

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/recover2_zpsbb3734dd.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Why even bother wearing helmets?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
More success today except for iffy GPS on the MoVi. Now that we have everything juuuuust working, we have a movie shoot next week.... my knees are knocking a little

Got a duration test done on my Tarot FY650. 14 minutes with two parallel 4S 2650s, but I discharged them a little too far for my liking. Once the gimbal is installed I'm guessing I'll get 10-12 minutes out of it. Not the 15 I was hoping for, but I also have more weight on it than stock so I'm fairly happy... 10 minutes is a long time

Now to finish tuning it (yaw and altitude hold problems), install the gimbal and shoot some video!
View Quote

Something doesn't sound right there.  My 650 will fly 24 minutes running the FPV on  a single 5000 and 16  plus with the camera and gimbal.  The FeiyuTech is heavier than most gimbals also.  Mine is no sports quad on 4s but flies great and long!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#28]
ummm....this thing is scary

16 rotor, U11, 29", 12s

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Something doesn't sound right there.  My 650 will fly 24 minutes running the FPV on  a single 5000 and 16  plus with the camera and gimbal.  The FeiyuTech is heavier than most gimbals also.  Mine is no sports quad on 4s but flies great and long!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The batteries aren't exactly new. Which motors are you using? My new 5000s came in but I don't have any XT60s to put on them at the moment

What's your AUW as well?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The batteries aren't exactly new. Which motors are you using? My new 5000s came in but I don't have any XT60s to put on them at the moment

What's your AUW as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your AUW as well?

Running the DJI E600's with the stock 12.5 in props and ESC's on a Turnigy 4S 5000 hard case.  AUW without gimbal was around 2500 grams then before I added the BEC and LEDs so slightly heavier now.  With the gimbal and camera I am around 3400 grams.  Haven't weighed it recently after adding much crap.  When I flew bare besides the FPV system with a second battery I only gained 6 minutes but maid it over 30 minutes total flight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

16 rotor, U11, 29", 12s
http://youtu.be/d_Req1yo3UM
View Quote

How is he running 16 motors with a DJI controller?  Holy crap what a beast!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

16 rotor, U11, 29", 12s

Good question. A2 only supports 8, x8 and v8
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

16 rotor, U11, 29", 12s

on one that large, I think you could get away with putting the esc signals in parallel. It wont react to the small differences in hardware, like a small one would. Just guessing though.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
on one that large, I think you could get away with putting the esc signals in parallel. It wont react to the small differences in hardware, like a small one would. Just guessing though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16 rotor, U11, 29", 12s

And to top it off this appears to be in some third world country!  More advanced than here
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Running the DJI E600's with the stock 12.5 in props and ESC's on a Turnigy 4S 5000 hard case.  AUW without gimbal was around 2500 grams then before I added the BEC and LEDs so slightly heavier now.  With the gimbal and camera I am around 3400 grams.  Haven't weighed it recently after adding much crap.  When I flew bare besides the FPV system with a second battery I only gained 6 minutes but maid it over 30 minutes total flight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your AUW as well?

Huh. I don't expect DJI motors to be THAT much more efficient but I guess it's possible. I'll see what happens when I put on the gimbal and try the new batteries.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Huh. I don't expect DJI motors to be THAT much more efficient but I guess it's possible. I'll see what happens when I put on the gimbal and try the new batteries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your AUW as well?

I was looking at the pic of your build and...well, it looks half done. Wires hanging about, that extra copper is a lot of weight. No offense. And the picture was blurry, so I could be wrong.
And its all about motor and prop matching and AUW and volts and amps. The DJI sets are matched very well.
My tarot 650 with 15x5 props and rctimer 360kv, on 4S 5000 gets about 20 min. If I use 10,000mAh it gets 32-35 min, but flies like a slug. No wind. This is carrying 500g-600g of payload. Edit: this is flight doing non-stop waypoints , if I was just hovering it would add a lot more minutes. No payload, about 30min and 40min respectively.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:53:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was looking at the pic of your build and...well, it looks half done.

View Quote

It was.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was.
show me what you got now, I can help

edited my post with more accurate times

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was.

I don't have a pic at the moment.

I did just weigh it though. I'm at 2414 grams with battery, 1814 without... lighter than tnriverluver's. I'll just have to test it with the new batteries and see what happens, it's possible the ones I've used are worn out though they didn't see that much use.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I did just weigh it though. I'm at 2414 grams with battery, 1814 without... lighter than tnriverluver's. I'll just have to test it with the new batteries and see what happens, it's possible the ones I've used are worn out though they didn't see that much use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was.

I'm at 1191g without batts or fpv/payload, so you got to go on a diet

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was.

I have two extra plates, lights, and tubes for mounting stuff, plus an aftermarket GPS mount. I'm just curious as to why it's not getting the flight times I expected being barely heavier... as I said, I'm expecting the new batteries to perform better.

At least it's not 18lbs like the other one I'm trying to lighten up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#42]
"ounces make pounds and pounds make pain"
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I made significant strides to lighten this:
-shortest length wire possible

-smallest gauge wire allowable

-lightweight motors

-homemade antennas, rubber ducks are heavy and shitty

-kapton tape instead of zip ties when possible
still, I could drop this to under 1000g. I have doubled the landing tubes and have prop guards and a roll cage on it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't know how much more efficient the DJI motors are myself over others.  I took a chance on these since the motors only weigh 90 gr each and had some great reviews by the few that had tried them on the 680pro Hex.  I was hoping they would even work on 3S which would have been even more efficient but the ESCs don't allow that.  DJI pretty much advertises these as 6S only motors but if you read carefully all the info they show 4-6S.  One of these days I will try 6S but I don't currently own a 6S battery!!!   It is no rocket ship by any means on 4S but flies about the way I like which is slow and steady.  Without knowing the weight of your quad or the 2 smaller batteries you are using its hard to guess why you aren't getting more time.  Everything I have read is low KV and matching big props for long flights.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Cold and windy out today.  This might be a good day to try and switch the 650 over to Taranis and the X8R receiver so I can finally get control of the gimbal along with full Naza flight modes.  Need more coffee to get the old brain working so I can try to understand this open source stuff.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#46]
UMMM that was a little tricky trying to hold down the bind button on the XR8 while trying to plug in the battery on the quad, but I did finally get the receiver to bind with the Taranis!   I am attempting to use the SBus connection and shed a little weight by losing a bunch of wires.  Praying this works

All the wires in my hand are no longer needed.  just the single connection into the receiver now!

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#47]
By George I think I got it all working correctly!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#48]
got started putting my Gryphon Dynamics frame together. SO far so good. Still looking into motors to run. Going with 16" prop that is recommended by Gryphon.. Another member here turned me onto KDE Direct and everything I have read so far makes me lean towards them.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#50]
The 650 Ironman is now flying with Taranis with all three flight modes and IOC course loc and home loc working properly.  That function gives me a little more confidence in not losing this thing because of orientation loss when not FPVing.  The only issue currently is my camera tilt is working but not the way I want.  Just keeps moving unless I put opposite inputs to stop it.  I will figure that out eventually in the assistant. The Taranis inputs are also MUCH more sensitive than the DX6i transmitters so that is going to take some getting use to.  At least now I can just copy this setup and apply it to the 680 hex when it is completed with only minor changes.  Taranis is easy to program though once you start understanding how simple it really is.  All in all I am thrilled with this new transmitter and have an OrangeRx module ordered for it also so I can use it with all my other Naza quads using DSM receivers.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top